Interesting Info: Part XXII (Jackets-related "tidbits" here)

Fro

Cheatin on CBJ w TBL
Mar 11, 2009
The Beach, FL
Trying to figure out...anyone else having mobile issues with HF? Or is it just being in Canada for my phone that it's crashing?

punk_o_holic

Mar 1, 2002
N. Vancouver, B.C.
Trying to figure out...anyone else having mobile issues with HF? Or is it just being in Canada for my phone that it's crashing?
Fine on my phone in Canada for me. Assuming you're visiting so cell carrier from the US where as I live here so my cell carrier is a Canadian company.

Reactions: Fro

koteka

Jan 1, 2017
Central Ohio
completely disagree about the preds.

The Preds are a much better team today, but they aren’t good enough to win now. They won’t have a chance to win a Cup until after a rebuild. They have a guy that looks like their goalie of the future, but they are going to need several other pieces. We are ahead of them on the rebuild.

I guess they could retool if they land some free agent center after the RyJo contract ends, hope Duchene finds some magic, and then have their defense and Saros shut everyone down in the playoffs, but I don’t see that happening.

Reactions: ThirdPeriodTurtle

Cyclones Rock

Jun 12, 2008
For all 1st round picks who didn't score a goal in the regular season in the NHL.................................
When you filter the list to only forwards, well, two Blue Jackets rise to the top of the list.

Alexandre Picard, the No. 8 pick in 2004, played 67 games with the Blue Jackets (2005-10) without scoring a goal.

It got us thinking … which former first-round pick — Foudy was No. 18 in 2018 by the Blue Jackets — has played the most NHL games without scoring a goal?
From The Athletic the other day. Article did point out that there were many 1st round forwards who never played in the NHL, but still.

Picard went 67 games without a goal. Foudy is at 60 and counting. But Picard notched a measly 2 assists in his 67 games. Foudy is crushing him in that category with 10!!

• Wow
Reactions: ThirdPeriodTurtle

Iron Balls McGinty

Aug 5, 2005
They haven't won a Super Bowl but the Lions and Browns have won NFL Championships and shouldn't be listed
By that logic, the Nets also won 2 ABA titles. The Bills won 2 AFL titles. The Titans won 1 AFL title as the Oilers as well as the Chargers and the Chicago Cardinals have 2 NFL championships.

ThirdPeriodTurtle

Sponsor
Jul 13, 2022
Finland
The joke's probably done at this point but for one last hurrah: Kevin Collins.

Looks pretty cool, wouldn't mind all that. Kevin would have his work cut out with me though. :D

Reactions: NotWendell

Double-Shift Lasse

Just post better
Dec 22, 2004
Exurban Cbus
Ok, so where else could they host an outdoor game?
Cooper Stadium? Fortress Obetz? Upper Arlington HS (reported capacity 11,500)? University of Dayton? OU?

Seriously, are Ohio Stadium seats still mostly bleachers? Could that be the issue as much as the reported issues with the ability to support freezing the ice surface? I don't know where all the NHL has played outdoor games and what they infrastructure there is like.

DarkandStormy

Apr 29, 2014
That’s pretty upsetting. OSU has the money. It’s totally on them and it’s infuriating

Ohio State’s athletic department is taking out a loan from the university to cover the tens of millions of dollars in revenue losses caused by the coronavirus pandemic several years ago.

The department, which reported operating at a $63.6 million budget deficit during the 2021 fiscal year, the period covering the football season upended by the public health crisis, finalized a loan in December, according to information provided to The Dispatch on Friday.

Under the terms of the agreement, the internal loan issued to the department totals $48 million and is to be repaid over 30 years through athletics operating funds and endowment.

Just this past month, it was announced the school is extending a $48m loan to the athletic department. The school doesn't have the funds to build a hockey-dedicated arena with much more than 1,500 capacity. The athletic director is out there trying to get a donor or donors to cover the cost to get into the 3,000+ capacity range. The athletic department is also, apparently/allegedly, lagging way behind other schools in the new NIL landscape. It's not all rosy over there.

Ok, so where else could they host an outdoor game?

Of the modern era NHL outdoor games, only two have had fewer than 30k in attendance -> the March 2022 Heritage Classic at Tim Hortons Field in Hamilton (26,119) and the March 2018 Stadium Series at Navy-Marine Corps Memorial Stadium in Annapolis (29,516). Both featured Toronto as the visiting team.

So from a crowd size perspective, it's going to need to be at least near 30k capacity at a minimum.
-Old Crew Stadium has a capacity of around 20k -> might be able to boost this to 22k with some SRO seats on the pavillion.
-Lower.com (new Crew Stadium) has a capacity of 20,371 -> might be able to boost that to 22k with some SRO seats and whatnot
-Huntington Park only holds a little over 10k.

Unless you want to entertain the idea of an outdoor game in the state somewhere else (Cleveland has two stadiums that would work, and you could set it up vs Buffalo, Pittsburgh, or Toronto; Cincinnati has a couple stadiums that would work, and you could bring in a lot of Nashville fans; or Toledo with a cross-border rivalry against Detroit), the only option is Ohio Stadium. The school likely needs to "winterize" the stadium for hosting future playoff games. But as noted above, things appear a bit dire financially for them at the moment.

Viqsi

"that chick from Ohio"
Oct 5, 2007
40N 83W (approx)
Cooper Stadium? Fortress Obetz? Upper Arlington HS (reported capacity 11,500)? University of Dayton? OU?

Seriously, are Ohio Stadium seats still mostly bleachers? Could that be the issue as much as the reported issues with the ability to support freezing the ice surface? I don't know where all the NHL has played outdoor games and what they infrastructure there is like.
Cooper Stadium is mostly torn down. Fortress Obetz is tiny - 6500 people. I've not yet seen the new bleachers at Marv Moorehead despite my nephew being on multiple teams there (the last time I was actually in the stadium I was still a student! class of '98, yo); I hear they're pretty nice for high school, but they're still bleachers, not seats. Can't speak to either university.

Double-Shift Lasse

Just post better
Dec 22, 2004
Exurban Cbus
Cooper Stadium is mostly torn down. Fortress Obetz is tiny - 6500 people. I've not yet seen the new bleachers at Marv Moorehead despite my nephew being on multiple teams there (the last time I was actually in the stadium I was still a student! class of '98, yo); I hear they're pretty nice for high school, but they're still bleachers, not seats. Can't speak to either university.
I started out the post intending to goof around. Then I got more serious for some stupid reason.

I get the bleacher comment regarding HS and smaller college stadiums. That's why I asked about Ohio Stadium. I haven't been in there in 20 years.

Viqsi

"that chick from Ohio"
Oct 5, 2007
40N 83W (approx)
I started out the post intending to goof around. Then I got more serious for some stupid reason.

I get the bleacher comment regarding HS and smaller college stadiums. That's why I asked about Ohio Stadium. I haven't been in there in 20 years.
You mentioned my old school (and my mother's old school, and my sister's employer; we have almost as many family connections to UAHS as we do to tOSU). I had to take it seriously. ;)

Double-Shift Lasse

Just post better
Dec 22, 2004
Exurban Cbus
You mentioned my old school (and my mother's old school, and my sister's employer). I had to take it seriously. ;)
That's about where I started to take it seriously. Doesn't UA have a good hockey program?

If the NHL can have a team play it's entire schedule in a college arena that seats about as much as an ECHL barn, it can have an outdoor game in a non-top-flight venue.

Reactions: CBJx614

CBJx614

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 25, 2012
C-137

Just this past month, it was announced the school is extending a $48m loan to the athletic department. The school doesn't have the funds to build a hockey-dedicated arena with much more than 1,500 capacity. The athletic director is out there trying to get a donor or donors to cover the cost to get into the 3,000+ capacity range. The athletic department is also, apparently/allegedly, lagging way behind other schools in the new NIL landscape. It's not all rosy over there.

Of the modern era NHL outdoor games, only two have had fewer than 30k in attendance -> the March 2022 Heritage Classic at Tim Hortons Field in Hamilton (26,119) and the March 2018 Stadium Series at Navy-Marine Corps Memorial Stadium in Annapolis (29,516). Both featured Toronto as the visiting team.

So from a crowd size perspective, it's going to need to be at least near 30k capacity at a minimum.
-Old Crew Stadium has a capacity of around 20k -> might be able to boost this to 22k with some SRO seats on the pavillion.
-Lower.com (new Crew Stadium) has a capacity of 20,371 -> might be able to boost that to 22k with some SRO seats and whatnot
-Huntington Park only holds a little over 10k.

Unless you want to entertain the idea of an outdoor game in the state somewhere else (Cleveland has two stadiums that would work, and you could set it up vs Buffalo, Pittsburgh, or Toronto; Cincinnati has a couple stadiums that would work, and you could bring in a lot of Nashville fans; or Toledo with a cross-border rivalry against Detroit), the only option is Ohio Stadium. The school likely needs to "winterize" the stadium for hosting future playoff games. But as noted above, things appear a bit dire financially for them at the moment.
Don't forget, there's a possibility they might need to replace the turf as well. The style of turf they use is the same as the one the NFL is looking at getting rid as it's causing too many injuries. So there's another massive expense they might need to take care of.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad