Interesting Info: Part XXII (Jackets-related "tidbits" here)

VT

Jan 24, 2021
Slovakia
Ignoring the unnecessary “jabs” or comments about Jenner, or the comparison to Marchenko, the problem is you’re saying Voronkov can come over and could be a 1C in the NHL.

What is the list of players that have come over from the KHL, or any other “overseas” league, and played well on the top line in the NHL, let alone as a CENTER, on a terrible team.

Going back to Jenner vs Voronkov, if you are talking 3-4-5 years down the line, maybe. MAYBE he’s a better option as a center in the NHL. Next year or 2, ZERO chance.

I think it’s more probable and would be better for the team if Voronkov ended up with Gaudreau/Jenner on the top line, instead of him filling in for Jenner.
I wrote why. To make a dirty work, for/backchecking, play in the front of the net, at the boards and similar things. Besides he is better than Jenner, exactly will be. I never wrote he's 1C. I also wrote that once he gets used to the NHL, he'll get better, and not right away.

thebus88

19/20 Columbus Blue Jackets: "It Is What It Is"
Sep 27, 2017
Michigan
I wrote why. To make a dirty work, for/backchecking, play in the front of the net, at the boards and similar things. Besides he is better than Jenner, exactly will be. I never wrote he's 1C. I also wrote that once he gets used to the NHL, he'll get better, and not right away.

He’s not better than Jenner right now.

Maybe in a few years.

Jenner is still the last guy we should move to “make room” for Voronkov.

squashmaple

gudbranson apologist
Sponsor
Sep 24, 2022
Columbus
We need to try and get Barry Trotz to be our coach next season. He just might have what it takes to mold the players we have now into Stanley Cup champions.
If you think Larsen shelters the young players too much, boy do I have bad news for you about Trotz.

Reactions: Fro

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
If you think Larsen shelters the young players too much, boy do I have bad news for you about Trotz.

He doesn't shelter them too much. He was just a little slow to up KJ's minutes, but at this point the kid has some issues keeping his energy up vs grown men so it's understandable.

We need a coach with the pull to be able to tell Jarmo that Sillinger isn't NHL ready. I don't know if Lars believes that about Silli though, he might be as lost as Jarmo on that one.

squashmaple

gudbranson apologist
Sponsor
Sep 24, 2022
Columbus
He doesn't shelter them too much. He was just a little slow to up KJ's minutes, but at this point the kid has some issues keeping his energy up vs grown men so it's understandable.

We need a coach with the pull to be able to tell Jarmo that Sillinger isn't NHL ready. I don't know if Lars believes that about Silli though, he might be as lost as Jarmo on that one.
Sorry, I guess I missed when the fanbase’s opinion changed on Larsen in this respect. It feels like just yesterday everyone was screaming for him to play the kids.

My point is that Trotz is a dreadful choice for a developing team, nor would he have any interest in taking such a job.

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
Sorry, I guess I missed when the fanbase’s opinion changed on Larsen in this respect. It feels like just yesterday everyone was screaming for him to play the kids.

You can ask @MoeBartoli about that. I think the critique was mostly just about KJ and also about why Sillinger - the young player who has struggled the most - has been given the opposite treatment.

My point is that Trotz is a dreadful choice for a developing team, nor would he have any interest in taking such a job.

Probably true.

But wasn't he the coach when all of Nashville's great D entered the league? I wonder if he was helpful for that or not. @Viqsi

Reactions: squashmaple

Viqsi

"that chick from Ohio"
Oct 5, 2007
40N 83W (approx)
Probably true.

But wasn't he the coach when all of Nashville's great D entered the league? I wonder if he was helpful for that or not. @Viqsi
A strong case can be made for that. Unfortunately, a similarly strong case can be made against him w/r/t offensive prospects. That said, I'd still love to bring him here.

Reactions: majormajor

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
A strong case can be made for that. Unfortunately, a similarly strong case can be made against him w/r/t offensive prospects. That said, I'd still love to bring him here.

I wonder if we had the quality of Bedard (pure hypothetical) along with KJ if they really need a player's coach to teach them anything. I don't see Trotz screwing that up. Fantilli and Carlsson maybe need some care, but looking back on how Torts guided PLD it might be a good thing to pair the all-tools kid with a strict coach. Did Trotz ever have much to work with with elite young players?

As far as the D it kind of seems like Trotz would be the perfect coach to bring Jiricek into the league. Same with Ceulemans. What about improvising D like Mateychuk? Was he good for Josi?

VT

Jan 24, 2021
Slovakia
He’s not better than Jenner right now.

Maybe in a few years.

Jenner is still the last guy we should move to “make room” for Voronkov.
Voronkov is more talented than Jenner. But I I don't know, do you read my posts?I wrote he must get up for NHL tempo, be more strenght and similar. And not he can change Jenner after his arrival. Besides my lines were for future what I wrote too.

Double-Shift Lasse

Just post better
Dec 22, 2004
Exurban Cbus
Easy enough to update the Fire Torts thread title as well
1675867671633.gif

Reactions: cslebn

Viqsi

"that chick from Ohio"
Oct 5, 2007
40N 83W (approx)
I wonder if we had the quality of Bedard (pure hypothetical) along with KJ if they really need a player's coach to teach them anything. I don't see Trotz screwing that up. Fantilli and Carlsson maybe need some care, but looking back on how Torts guided PLD it might be a good thing to pair the all-tools kid with a strict coach. Did Trotz ever have much to work with with elite young players?
Only defensemen and goaltenders, and the latter was more his BFF Mitch Korn. The Preds don't get elite forwards; the best drafted forwards that Trotz had a developmental hand in are guys like Erat and Hornqvist and Arvidsson, plus perpetual hand-wringing over Radulov.

As far as the D it kind of seems like Trotz would be the perfect coach to bring Jiricek into the league. Same with Ceulemans. What about improvising D like Mateychuk? Was he good for Josi?
I personally think he was awesome for Josi, but it's worth noting that Josi's big point production breakouts came after Trotz was replaced with Lavi. Whether that correlation is causal is hard to say; Lavi came in for Josi's third year in the NHL.

I never saw any improv types really succeed under him, but IDK if that's because he doesn't go for that type or if they just were never as good as hoped. (I may be misremembering, but my brain wants to cite Jonathan Blum and Cody Franson as examples.) Ryan Ellis arguably kind of got calmed down from doing that a tad (to be fair, I missed much of his early years so I'm not certain on that; I'm just going by rep), but what he became made me very happy, so, who knows. :)

Reactions: majormajor

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
Only defensemen and goaltenders, and the latter was more his BFF Mitch Korn. The Preds don't get elite forwards; the best drafted forwards that Trotz had a developmental hand in are guys like Erat and Hornqvist and Arvidsson, plus perpetual hand-wringing over Radulov.

I personally think he was awesome for Josi, but it's worth noting that Josi's big point production breakouts came after Trotz was replaced with Lavi. Whether that correlation is causal is hard to say; Lavi came in for Josi's third year in the NHL.

I never saw any improv types really succeed under him, but IDK if that's because he doesn't go for that type or if they just were never as good as hoped. (I may be misremembering, but my brain wants to cite Jonathan Blum and Cody Franson as examples.) Ryan Ellis arguably kind of got calmed down from doing that a tad (to be fair, I missed much of his early years so I'm not certain on that; I'm just going by rep), but what he became made me very happy, so, who knows. :)

Ok I'm on Team Trotz. Forward development was the only concern so I didn't need much persuasion. He's never had much to work with.

And if he is only coming if he can be GM too, I'd be fine with that. Just keep some of our good scouts. :D

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad