Interesting Info: Part XXII (Jackets-related "tidbits" here)

Cowumbus

Mar 1, 2014
Arena District - Columbus
On the radio/TV when the team struggles, Bob/Jody/Rimer talk about how the team needs to “get back to its identity.” Which they say is a blue collar hard working team.

My question for you is, why? Why does the team need to play the checking ways of yesteryear, and is not allowed to develop into run and gun similar to a team like Vegas or Toronto? Championship teams have an ability to grind / play two ways, but I really don’t think the Jackets need to be the Islanders 2.0 to be successful.

Do you think Columbus always has to have a blue collar team? Do you agree with Rimer/Bob/Jody’s line of thinking?

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
On the radio/TV when the team struggles, Bob/Jody/Rimer talk about how the team needs to “get back to its identity.” Which they say is a blue collar hard working team.

My question for you is, why? Why does the team need to play the checking ways of yesteryear, and is not allowed to develop into run and gun similar to a team like Vegas or Toronto? Championship teams have an ability to grind / play two ways, but I really don’t think the Jackets need to be the Islanders 2.0 to be successful.

Do you think Columbus always has to have a blue collar team? Do you agree with Rimer/Bob/Jody’s line of thinking?

Forget "yesteryear", this team this year is dramatically better when they play hard and finish their checks. When they play fancy and without emotion they get steamrolled. I think it's a false dichotomy because if you have talent it will shine through, and regardless of how much talent you have, playing hard is an imperative.

Cowumbus

Mar 1, 2014
Arena District - Columbus
Forget "yesteryear", this team this year is dramatically better when they play hard and finish their checks. When they play fancy and without emotion they get steamrolled. I think it's a false dichotomy because if you have talent it will shine through, and regardless of how much talent you have, playing hard is an imperative.
Yeah. I guess my point is the Leafs play just as hard as the Islanders despite very different play styles.

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
Yeah. I guess my point is the Leafs play just as hard as the Islanders despite very different play styles.

It would be great if the Jackets could play at least as hard as the Leafs. Right now we're way too soft to keep up with any playoff club.

NotWendell

Has also never won the lottery.
Sponsor
Oct 31, 2005
Columbus, Ohio

Nope. I do believe we play better when we forecheck, however.

Iron Balls McGinty

Aug 5, 2005

Well, Jody was a fighter, Rimer is just senile and Bob probably just adds some odd phrase or cliche to the topic that makes no sense.

I for one think the guys do play hard most of the time like everyone else. They just suck with no good structure so it looks like they aren't trying. That's a coaching problem.

JacketsDavid

Jan 11, 2013

Just my $.02. In the past we have always been a defensive minded team - you can look at the coaches we had and the style of play (Gritty, hard to play against, etc).
Now post Torts it seems like Jarmo wanted to change all that. He acquired a bunch of dmen who seem to be offensively gifted and got a coach that in his first year wouldn not discipline players for not playing in the defensive end and had several forwards who were happy to not be responsible in the dzone either. Obvioulsy it failed miserably (so far) to have Anti-Torts team.
So I'm assuming we will have to go back to defense first. Now it's a badly constructed roster for that (questionable goalies except the guy who is about to be a UFA, and too many dmen and forwards who don't play well in the defensive zone and a coach who I hope is replaced soon.

Iron Balls McGinty

Aug 5, 2005
Just my $.02. In the past we have always been a defensive minded team - you can look at the coaches we had and the style of play (Gritty, hard to play against, etc).
Now post Torts it seems like Jarmo wanted to change all that. He acquired a bunch of dmen who seem to be offensively gifted and got a coach that in his first year wouldn not discipline players for not playing in the defensive end and had several forwards who were happy to not be responsible in the dzone either. Obvioulsy it failed miserably (so far) to have Anti-Torts team.
So I'm assuming we will have to go back to defense first. Now it's a badly constructed roster for that (questionable goalies except the guy who is about to be a UFA, and too many dmen and forwards who don't play well in the defensive zone and a coach who I hope is replaced soon.
Why can’t we be balanced?

Torts was ultra defensive. We tipped the spectrum and threw defense into the wind with the D we’ve acquired. Find the balance and be both. You’ll find both end up being more successful.

Poses the puck more and do better getting/keeping the puck out of our own end will help all around.

Reactions: thebus88 and MAHJ71

Xoggz22

Mar 4, 2002
Columbus, Ohio
I could make a joke about how these guy are actually Eric Robinson, Liam Foudy, Cole Sillinger or even Jason Chimera in disguise but I won't.

Clearly since they are not playing one has to be Alexander Picard. I heard right after this picture one of them ran for the tunnel so I'm guessing that was Foudy.

thebus88

19/20 Columbus Blue Jackets: "It Is What It Is"
Sep 27, 2017
Michigan
Still makes me sick

“Walking to the draft (that morning) I said to Boydy, and I’ll never forget these words: ‘How do we go with the Slovenian ahead of the Canadian?'”

Seriously, Nash-Kopitar-Zherdev could’ve been something really special.

I was quite young, but, was very big on Kopitar at the time. Spent plenty of time watching Slovenia play IIHF division 2/B games. That’s also to say that I also was very big on Brule, which in DM’s defense, a LOT of people were also.

The real problem or reason why so many guys like Brule and Zherdev “busted” or never reached their true potential, isn’t so much to do with them individually as people or players, but, that the surrounding roster of “complimentary” players almost NEVER put these guys in good or favorable situations to succeed.

And in Zherdev’s case, once he actually did start to put things together, we moved him while he was still in an upward trajectory, for a player that was quite effective, but, with a MUCH lower “ceiling”.

Reactions: ThirdPeriodTurtle

I3LI3

Jan 9, 2021
Columbus, OH
4BBD75CA-2CBA-4FEA-A5F9-97F840B133C8.jpeg
39C37D3C-0910-40D3-BD90-3357D4CE1189.jpeg

started watching this movie and found blanks’ twin. lol

CBJWerenski8

Rest in Peace Johnny
Jun 13, 2009
Also, the player T shirts look like absolute trash now (imo). The white name plate looks like it was made by someone at home. The fanatics ones look a lot better, but unfortunately other than Gaudreau they only sell the name plate being vertical not horizontal which is also dumb.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad