Interesting Info: Part XXII (Jackets-related "tidbits" here)

koteka

Jan 1, 2017
Central Ohio
I think it probable - if Nyquist is willing to accept a sweetheart deal.
What is the market for Nyquist this summer? Maybe a Cup contender tries to bring him in for 1 x $1 million as a depth veteran on a cheap contract. My guess is we offer him 2 x $2 million or so. Is anyone going to offer him more? Would a team on the rise like the Devils or Kings be interested in his leadership?

Reactions: Fro

cbjthrowaway

Jul 4, 2020
The Athletic posted an article predicting the standings in 3 years based on the prospect pool, market, management, etc..

We are ranked 28th…

gonna give that one a big ol' "who cares"

the jackets just had five first round picks (four in the top 12) in a two-year span. they're bookending that with a guy in the previous draft who looks like a definite hit (chinakhov) and a potential top-five pick in one of the strongest drafts ever.

four years from now, all of those players will be in the early part of their primes. they'll have a new coach. they'll still have gaudreau and werenski and probably laine too.

they also have an absurdly deep farm system. odds are they'll get at least two good NHL players out of marchenko, voronkov, dumais, del bel belluz, etc. they have a lot of unheralded defensive prospects who look like they could have bright NHL futures (svozil, richard, berni, knazko).

the only big question marks – center (2023 pick or johnson), goalie (tarasov or trade) and coach (literally anyone else) – will be answered well before 2026.

…and yet, these rankings are higher on teams with old, not just aging, but old cores and nonexistent farm systems. this is a long-term projection rooted in short-term recency bias. new jersey was tenth on this list last year. they're hot right now, suddenly they're #1 on the list.

Viqsi

"that chick from Ohio"
Oct 5, 2007
40N 83W (approx)
The Athletic posted an article predicting the standings in 3 years based on the prospect pool, market, management, etc..

We are ranked 28th…

40% of that ranking is the opinion of Dom Luszczyszyn and another 30% is that of Corey Pronman.

That's all you really need to know, but it's also worth noting that the rankings therein are shockingly similar to this season's standings. Which is probably an inevitable consequences of 40% Dom Luszczyszyn, but, well, y'know.

EDIT: I got the proportion wrong. 45% of it is Dom Luszczyszyn. So those two combine for three quarters of the rating.

Last edited:
Reactions: majormajor

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
What is the market for Nyquist this summer? Maybe a Cup contender tries to bring him in for 1 x $1 million as a depth veteran on a cheap contract. My guess is we offer him 2 x $2 million or so. Is anyone going to offer him more? Would a team on the rise like the Devils or Kings be interested in his leadership?

I think Gus could get something more like $3m per over 2 years.

cbjthrowaway

Jul 4, 2020
40% of that ranking is the opinion of Dom Luszczyszyn and another 30% is that of Corey Pronman.

That's all you really need to know, but it's also worth noting that the rankings therein are shockingly similar to this season's standings. Which is probably an inevitable consequences of 40% Dom Luszczyszyn, but, well, y'know.
not gonna rehash my thoughts on dom but re: pronman, he still has yegor chinakhov as 'projected to play NHL games'

…the same yegor chinakhov that is 7th in NHL games played among all 2020 draftees.

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
I've got to be honest, if Gustav Nyquist isn't helping us win now, why would we want to keep him around and take a roster spot away from someone we hope will help us win in the future?

He is helping us win now and we already have a shortage of veterans. Larding this team up with more rookies is just going to prolong the dysfunction, we need players who know what to do and know how to handle all situations.

stevo61

Jul 5, 2011
Canada
He is helping us win now and we already have a shortage of veterans. Larding this team up with more rookies is just going to prolong the dysfunction, we need players who know what to do and know how to handle all situations.
I agree there is a calmness that a veteran like Nyquist brings but that said I dont think this years Nyquist is anything like last years. Maybe thats just a case of not having a guy like Bjorkstrand who he worked well with but something is off with everything about this team.

CBJx614

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 25, 2012
C-137
I’m almost lost with this post, as is this serious.

You don’t think Horvat or his agent would look at the standings and see Columbus being 3rd last in the league/last place in the East?

You don’t think Horvat has any desire to play in the playoffs? If so why would you want to add a player like that?

Why would he want to go to a contender?
He’s 27y and has never had a true chance to compete at the Cup. About all the contenders will make a call for him so he’s going to ignore them all to sign an extension with a quaranteed non playoff team?

Columbus best chance is in the summer and at cap will only help them
Yeah I get all that, you've explained it plenty. My point is that Horvat, like Jones before him will get to use this trade as his free agency, and if his sole focus is going to a contender for his next team then you're right, we don't stand a chance in hell. But that's usually not the only factor when choosing where you want to play.

If that report is true about not giving him permission to talk to other teams is true, we obviously aren't in the rental market and won't be making a bid, but we don't know how true any of that is, including the Christmas deadline set by the FO. If that's true we only have a matter of days before we see a trade.

DougKnowsBest

Feb 6, 2004
Newark, Ohio
I posted this in here because cbj gaming is strong and a well recognized brand in esports biz….. I bet the cbj and EA NHL are all over this place

Glytch, the professional esports stadium company, announced today they're building a second stadium located in Columbus, Ohio. The arena would be its own self-sustaining arena and broadcast space, giving any esport who wishes to take over it for an event full access to everything they would need to hold a professional tournament over the course of several days.

Reactions: Viqsi and Toe Pick

BB88

Jan 19, 2015
Yeah I get all that, you've explained it plenty. My point is that Horvat, like Jones before him will get to use this trade as his free agency, and if his sole focus is going to a contender for his next team then you're right, we don't stand a chance in hell. But that's usually not the only factor when choosing where you want to play.

If that report is true about not giving him permission to talk to other teams is true, we obviously aren't in the rental market and won't be making a bid, but we don't know how true any of that is, including the Christmas deadline set by the FO. If that's true we only have a matter of days before we see a trade.

For late season trade that usually exactly is?

That’s what we see every year, top UFA’s get traded to playoff teams/top contenders and not to bottom 5 teams.

How often instead we see a late season trade where the top UFA gets traded with an extension to a bottom5 team instead of a playoff team?

I’m not exactly sure what’s going on here to be honest.

I’ve said multiple times Columbus best chance to land Horvat is this summer, not during the season because they aren’t contenders now.
They can be contenders in few years but not this year, Horvat going to Colorado for example for playoff run doesn’t take Columbus out of the Horvat race for the summer. Going to Colorado would only be benefitial for Columbus because Colorado won’t have the money to sign him.

Last edited:

CBJx614

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 25, 2012
C-137
For late season trade that usually exactly is?

That’s what we see every year, top UFA’s get traded to playoff teams/top contenders and not to bottom 5 teams.

How often instead we see a late season trade where the top UFA gets traded with an extension to a bottom5 team instead of a playoff team?

I’m not exactly sure what’s going on here to be honest.

I’ve said multiple times Columbus best chance to land Horvat is this summer, not during the season because they aren’t contenders now.
They can be contenders in few years but not this year, Horvat going to Colorado for example for playoff run doesn’t take Columbus out of the Horvat race for the summer. Going to Colorado would only be benefitial for Columbus because Colorado won’t have the money to sign him.
Yes you have, you say it every time I say the name Horvat as if you're going to change my opinion. You have your opinion and I have mine.

BB88

Jan 19, 2015
Yes you have, you say it every time I say the name Horvat as if you're going to change my opinion. You have your opinion and I have mine.

Your points are just all over the place and it’s hard to keep up.

Latest being offseason sign and trade as comparable to trade deadline sign and trade.
Or how trade deadline isn’t about playoff teams/contenders looking to add and top UFA’s like Horvat trying to win the Cup

Last edited:

KJ Dangler

Oct 21, 2006
Columbus
Honestly reading above .. Nyquist is not being resigned , and we would be beyond incompetent to consider trading for Horvat . When does reality set in that this is a team spending to the cap , yet one of the bottom 5 teams in the league . It’s not because of injuries , they are poorly constructed . Until Jiricek , Culemans , become competent NHL players , the defense is bottom tier in the league . When you look at the center position , we are honestly bottom 2 in the entire league . Goalie Position, Tarasov is going to be really good , currently though , bottom of the league .

So, why is there any conversation of trading for Horvat ? We are almost assuredly going to draft a player in this next draft , without giving up any assets , that will have more top end skill than Horvat .

Reactions: LJ7

cbjthrowaway

Jul 4, 2020
Honestly reading above .. Nyquist is not being resigned , and we would be beyond incompetent to consider trading for Horvat . When does reality set in that this is a team spending to the cap , yet one of the bottom 5 teams in the league . It’s not because of injuries , they are poorly constructed . Until Jiricek , Culemans , become competent NHL players , the defense is bottom tier in the league . When you look at the center position , we are honestly bottom 2 in the entire league . Goalie Position, Tarasov is going to be really good , currently though , bottom of the league .

So, why is there any conversation of trading for Horvat ? We are almost assuredly going to draft a player in this next draft , without giving up any assets , that will have more top end skill than Horvat .
The reasons to draft Horvat are as follows:
1. would be the best center cbj has had since at least johansen
2. gives them an actual 1C (albeit on the low-end)
3. having an actual 1C takes pressure off the rest of the lineup
4. elite face-off / power play guy (fix two weaknesses)
5. insurance if we don't pick top 5 in the lotto
6. high-end luxury piece if we do pick top 5
7. adds to veteran core, which is better for young players to develop around

As you said, guys like Jiricek/Ceulemans aren't NHL players yet. Sillinger, Johnson, Chinakhov and Marchenko are all super talented and belong in the NHL now, but have a long way to go in their development.

Real life isn't NHL GM mode, young players don't automatically get better every year and there's no blanket overall rating that you can use to predict how 'ready' a player is to be productive.

Having guys like Horvat and Jenner and Gaudreau around will be far better for the development of those young guys. If you add a Fantilli/Carlsson type to the mix, too, Horvat eventually slides into the 2C role and becomes a huge luxury.

The whole rationale for (potentially) re-signing Nyquist is that the team desperately needs veterans. That's also why, imo, Sillinger has slumped this year – he's been on a kid line for most of it.

EspenK

Sep 25, 2011
I can't see any reason to re-sign Nyquist, (if Jake goes LTIR then maybe)

I don't think we can afford Horvat unless as major suggested we dump a few of the youngins or again if Jake is on LTIR. I am warming a bit to the idea he would help the team. If we land a future 1c in the draft or when/if KJ develops into that we'd be nicely set for a long while at center with either KJ or one of this years pick on a wing,
Doesn't do anything for the D though but at least we have some young guys there who could develop into top4 d.

Gavy is pretty much a cap casualty in most scenarios but a definite if Jake doesn't LTIR and we sign Horvat.

With the potential of KJ and a few of the other young guys I don't think the Jackets want to be too cap strapped when/f an opportunity to lock up the emerging stars occurs.

BB88

Jan 19, 2015
I can't see any reason to re-sign Nyquist, (if Jake goes LTIR then maybe)

I don't think we can afford Horvat unless as major suggested we dump a few of the youngins or again if Jake is on LTIR. I am warming a bit to the idea he would help the team. If we land a future 1c in the draft or when/if KJ develops into that we'd be nicely set for a long while at center with either KJ or one of this years pick on a wing,
Doesn't do anything for the D though but at least we have some young guys there who could develop into top4 d.

Gavy is pretty much a cap casualty in most scenarios but a definite if Jake doesn't LTIR and we sign Horvat.

With the potential of KJ and a few of the other young guys I don't think the Jackets want to be too cap strapped when/f an opportunity to lock up the emerging stars occurs.

Unless they land Bedard they should be interested in Horvat on July 1st.
The flat cap will create problems for lot of the teams after him.

I’d move Roslovic if there are takers, with Horvat re-signing Nyquist isn’t necessary.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad