Interesting Info: Part XXII (Jackets-related "tidbits" here)

Iron Balls McGinty

Aug 5, 2005
He is helping us win now and we already have a shortage of veterans. Larding this team up with more rookies is just going to prolong the dysfunction, we need players who know what to do and know how to handle all situations.
I just think that money is better spent for someone who is halfway decent at center. We've got wingers or potential future wingers out the wazoo in this organization.

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
Honestly reading above .. Nyquist is not being resigned , and we would be beyond incompetent to consider trading for Horvat . When does reality set in that this is a team spending to the cap , yet one of the bottom 5 teams in the league . It’s not because of injuries , they are poorly constructed . Until Jiricek , Culemans , become competent NHL players , the defense is bottom tier in the league . When you look at the center position , we are honestly bottom 2 in the entire league . Goalie Position, Tarasov is going to be really good , currently though , bottom of the league .

So, why is there any conversation of trading for Horvat ? We are almost assuredly going to draft a player in this next draft , without giving up any assets , that will have more top end skill than Horvat .

The team is indeed poorly constructed but I don't get the logical leap from that to your conclusion that we should avoid veterans.

I don't want to trade for Horvat this year but going into next year we should absolutely commit to winning in 2023-24 and build the strongest team we can. Veteran players will create a better environment for our young players to thrive in.

The reasons to draft Horvat are as follows:
1. would be the best center cbj has had since at least johansen
2. gives them an actual 1C (albeit on the low-end)
3. having an actual 1C takes pressure off the rest of the lineup
4. elite face-off / power play guy (fix two weaknesses)
5. insurance if we don't pick top 5 in the lotto
6. high-end luxury piece if we do pick top 5
7. adds to veteran core, which is better for young players to develop around

As you said, guys like Jiricek/Ceulemans aren't NHL players yet. Sillinger, Johnson, Chinakhov and Marchenko are all super talented and belong in the NHL now, but have a long way to go in their development.

Real life isn't NHL GM mode, young players don't automatically get better every year and there's no blanket overall rating that you can use to predict how 'ready' a player is to be productive.

Having guys like Horvat and Jenner and Gaudreau around will be far better for the development of those young guys. If you add a Fantilli/Carlsson type to the mix, too, Horvat eventually slides into the 2C role and becomes a huge luxury.

The whole rationale for (potentially) re-signing Nyquist is that the team desperately needs veterans. That's also why, imo, Sillinger has slumped this year – he's been on a kid line for most of it.

I strongly agree with the general point but I'd take Dubois over Horvat. Better 200 ft player.

Gavy is pretty much a cap casualty in most scenarios but a definite if Jake doesn't LTIR and we sign Horvat.

Gavi is a cap casualty in only one scenario - if Jake stays in the lineup, AND we sign Horvat, AND we refuse to move out Roslovic, Bean, and Boqvist.

In all other (more realistic) scenarios Gavrikov leaving is a choice, either his or ours. If it's his choice, good luck to him. If it's ours, holy shit do we need a new GM.

Viqsi

"that chick from Ohio"
Oct 5, 2007
40N 83W (approx)
I posted this in here because cbj gaming is strong and a well recognized brand in esports biz….. I bet the cbj and EA NHL are all over this place

Glytch, the professional esports stadium company, announced today they're building a second stadium located in Columbus, Ohio. The arena would be its own self-sustaining arena and broadcast space, giving any esport who wishes to take over it for an event full access to everything they would need to hold a professional tournament over the course of several days.
And suddenly I'm daydreaming about AGDQ coming here... :D

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
if they land bedard they should be ESPECIALLY interested in horvat imo. would form a perfect 1-2 punch and then they could shift jenner back to LW. their window would be wide open.

If the Jackets have such good fortune, one scenario to watch out for is if Bedard, KJ, and Jiricek are all coming up for big money second contracts while the club still has $8m+ deals on the books for Werenski, Laine, Gaudreau, and Horvat. That doesn't seem like it would work.

It might work out okay if the club avoids NMCs / NTCs.

Viqsi

"that chick from Ohio"
Oct 5, 2007
40N 83W (approx)
Honestly reading above .. Nyquist is not being resigned , and we would be beyond incompetent to consider trading for Horvat .
Not necessarily. Trading for him immediately would probably not be ideal, sure. But there's a case to be made for picking him up now to get him for future teams.

(That said, there's also a good case to be made for waiting until the offseason. I don't think there's a single no-brainer approach here.)

When does reality set in that this is a team spending to the cap , yet one of the bottom 5 teams in the league .
We're not actually up against the cap. Not to the degree that the real cap-strapped teams are.

So, why is there any conversation of trading for Horvat ? We are almost assuredly going to draft a player in this next draft , without giving up any assets , that will have more top end skill than Horvat .
Because "why don't we have both". :)

CBJx614

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 25, 2012
C-137
Your points are just all over the place and it’s hard to keep up.

Latest being offseason sign and trade as comparable to trade deadline sign and trade.
Or how trade deadline isn’t about playoff teams/contenders looking to add and top UFA’s like Horvat trying to win the Cup
That's nothing new though 🤣

KJ Dangler

Oct 21, 2006
Columbus
Not necessarily. Trading for him immediately would probably not be ideal, sure. But there's a case to be made for picking him up now to get him for future teams.

(That said, there's also a good case to be made for waiting until the offseason. I don't think there's a single no-brainer approach here.)

We're not actually up against the cap. Not to the degree that the real cap-strapped teams are.

Because "why don't we have both".
The reasons to draft Horvat are as follows:
1. would be the best center cbj has had since at least johansen
2. gives them an actual 1C (albeit on the low-end)
3. having an actual 1C takes pressure off the rest of the lineup
4. elite face-off / power play guy (fix two weaknesses)
5. insurance if we don't pick top 5 in the lotto
6. high-end luxury piece if we do pick top 5
7. adds to veteran core, which is better for young players to develop around

As you said, guys like Jiricek/Ceulemans aren't NHL players yet. Sillinger, Johnson, Chinakhov and Marchenko are all super talented and belong in the NHL now, but have a long way to go in their development.

Real life isn't NHL GM mode, young players don't automatically get better every year and there's no blanket overall rating that you can use to predict how 'ready' a player is to be productive.

Having guys like Horvat and Jenner and Gaudreau around will be far better for the development of those young guys. If you add a Fantilli/Carlsson type to the mix, too, Horvat eventually slides into the 2C role and becomes a huge luxury.

The whole rationale for (potentially) re-signing Nyquist is that the team desperately needs veterans. That's also why, imo, Sillinger has slumped this year – he's been on a kid line for most of it.
So he would be the best Center the jackets have ever had ? How many firsts are we giving up , including in this coming draft ? Make no mistake , he will command a massive overpay for what he actually is . Especially when you consider it’s pretty likely we are picking in the top 5 , of probably the best center position draft in recent memory .

I’ll be honest , I’m not convinced Jarmo would be allowed to make a move like this regardless . We have spent to the cap the past few yrs .. he has 1 freakin playoff series victory to show for it . I’m not convinced he keeps his job after this season . Jarmo is a great scout , but not a good architect . Lots of talented players , but always massive holes in the roster .

Viqsi

"that chick from Ohio"
Oct 5, 2007
40N 83W (approx)
So he would be the best Center the jackets have ever had ? How many firsts are we giving up , including in this coming draft ?
In this coming draft? None. Because we also have the ability to walk away if the asking price is that egregious, and in such a scenario we absolutely would. Did you not look at, like, any of the discussions about this before? None of us looking at this are so out of touch as to presume that any of the top assets are available. Not the 1st, not Jiricek, not KJ, not Sillinger... none of them.

(EDIT: 2024 is a maybe, but I don't think that's a good idea either, personally.)

I’ll be honest , I’m not convinced Jarmo would be allowed to make a move like this regardless .
:eyeroll: Come on. The number of times ownership has actually blocked a move Kekalainen was interested in could be counted on one hand if there was in fact a useful way to attempt to "count to" zero.

I’m not convinced he keeps his job after this season .
Dude, he just brought in the biggest free agency signing ever in the history of the franchise. Ownership wasn't under any illusions as to how this season was likely to turn out. This is extreme motivated reasoning.

Reactions: CBJx614

koteka

Jan 1, 2017
Central Ohio
I strongly agree with the general point but I'd take Dubois over Horvat. Better 200 ft player.

I wonder what happens when Dubois hits free agency and the Habs don’t come close to offering what he expects. Does Columbus suddenly become more attractive as one of the few places that could offer him more money? Don’t think we would sign him, but he is what we need and he could play with some great wings here.

Cowumbus

Mar 1, 2014
Arena District - Columbus
I wonder what happens when Dubois hits free agency and the Habs don’t come close to offering what he expects. Does Columbus suddenly become more attractive as one of the few places that could offer him more money? Don’t think we would sign him, but he is what we need and he could play with some great wings here.
Rather pay and bring Dubois back than get Horvat at 8+ million.

I3LI3

Jan 9, 2021
Columbus, OH
on my facebook memories I had a blast from the past…

8 years ago today, I saw the Jackets beat the Red Wings at Joe Louis arena. here was the box score for us that night. Bob had a shutout. interesting note: it was 0-0 after 60,

some names that you haven’t heard in light years haha… skille… gibbons… time flies

333B7892-60AC-48E5-96F5-A95545F5A78A.png

Reactions: koteka

JacketsDavid

Jan 11, 2013

I would not even pick up the phone to talk to him. He can go play in any other NHL team but his whiny @SS should never be near the CBJ roster.

cbjthrowaway

Jul 4, 2020
not technically CBJ-specific here, but here's lebrun today on horvat:
I assumed the Canucks would be asking for a futures-only package, as selling, retooling teams most often do when they’re dealing with an in-season trade for a pending unrestricted free agent. But so far, it seems that Vancouver is looking instead for more of a hockey deal — to upgrade at center ice and/or right-shot defense if possible and bring in a player in the twentysomething age range this Canucks management group has focused on since coming on board.
also went on to say that would open the door for a horvat extension to be part of the trade, which contradicts some other reporting.

obviously they're not going to get an upgrade at center in a horvat trade (seeing as he's the best center on the market) BUT if what they're looking for is a couple of 20-something NHL players at those spots… well, that should bode well for columbus.

roslovic obviously has an extra year + vancouver has been tied to him before. peeke would give them a young RHD with term (and a cheap contract) who stylistically fits well with hughes. jackets have plenty of other assets they could attach in a deal like this – leaving out the 2023 pick and johnson/jiricek/sillinger.

IMO even if they end up overpaying a bit on a horvat contract, if the acquisition cost is something like peeke + roslovic + the 2024 pick and a mid-tier prospect, it's solid for both sides.

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
not technically CBJ-specific here, but here's lebrun today on horvat:

also went on to say that would open the door for a horvat extension to be part of the trade, which contradicts some other reporting.

obviously they're not going to get an upgrade at center in a horvat trade (seeing as he's the best center on the market) BUT if what they're looking for is a couple of 20-something NHL players at those spots… well, that should bode well for columbus.

roslovic obviously has an extra year + vancouver has been tied to him before. peeke would give them a young RHD with term (and a cheap contract) who stylistically fits well with hughes. jackets have plenty of other assets they could attach in a deal like this – leaving out the 2023 pick and johnson/jiricek/sillinger.

IMO even if they end up overpaying a bit on a horvat contract, if the acquisition cost is something like peeke + roslovic + the 2024 pick and a mid-tier prospect, it's solid for both sides.

I wouldn't include the 2024 1st.

If we have to be paying this guy $8m+ x 7 then I'm not willing to trade that kind of asset for him.

You can wait until UFA and if someone else overpays in the meantime then it might be for the best anyways.

Reactions: Cowumbus

MoeBartoli

Checkers-to-Jackets
Sponsor
Jan 12, 2011
Wasn’t sure which thread to ask this….Obviously users change names periodically and I could find their prior name via their user profile. But now when I try to see “previous name”, a message pops up saying I don’t have permission. What’s the deal?

Reactions: CBJx614

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
Funny thought.

Russian goalie coaching seems to be on another level. The goalies they're sending over are better than the North American developed players. There's a lot of NHL clubs that could benefit from a Russian goalie coach, but the problem is that those coaches don't have good enough English. You bring in a guy and while he's learning English in the first year, he is going to have trouble communicating with the non-Russian goalies. Not worth it.

But what if your two NHL level goalies are Merzlikins and Tarasov, who are both fluent in Russian?

Cyclones Rock

Jun 12, 2008
In 2016-17 the CBJ had a goals differential of +54.

This season, it is -46 through 33 games which projects out to -114 over 82 games.

The difference between the two teams is -168/season which is 2.05 goals/game.

Brick by Brick, baby!

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad