Interesting Info: Part XXII (Jackets-related "tidbits" here)

Viqsi

"that chick from Ohio"
Oct 5, 2007
40N 83W (approx)
In 2016-17 the CBJ had a goals differential of +54.

This season, it is -46 through 33 games which projects out to -114 over 82 games.

The difference between the two teams is -168/season which is 2.05 goals/game.

Brick by Brick, baby!
2016-17 was built almost in its entirety by the same people who are here now (the same people you regularly insist must be fired immediately), four years after the worst season in franchise history, and didn't last because some of the most important core players - most notably, nearly all the guys we traded for, plus one known problem case - wanted out. Which suggests that if they did it before, they can do it again - and they're doing it with drafted and developed guys this time.

DarkandStormy

Apr 29, 2014
2016-17 was built almost in its entirety by the same people who are here now (the same people you regularly insist must be fired immediately), four years after the worst season in franchise history, and didn't last because some of the most important core players - most notably, nearly all the guys we traded for, plus one known problem case - wanted out. Which suggests that if they did it before, they can do it again - and they're doing it with drafted and developed guys this time.

2016-2017 minus four years = 2012-2013 -> the year in which the team missed out on the playoffs on the last day via tiebreaker?

Anyway...

Cam Atkinson - Howson draftee
Nick Foligno - Howson trade acquisition
Brandon Dubinsky - Howson trade acquisition
Boone Jenner - Howson draftee
Josh Anderson - Howson draftee
David Savard - Howson draftee
Jack Johnson - Howson trade acquisition
Matt Calvert - Howson draftee
Lukas Sedlak - Howson draftee
Ryan Murray - Howson draftee
Dalton Prout - Howson draftee
Sergei Bobrovsky - Howson trade acquisition
Joonas Korpisalo - Howson draftee
Curtis McElhinney - Howson trade acquisition

Jarmo/JD drafted Wennberg, Bjorkstrand, Werenski, Nutivaara, and Carlsson and acquired Saad, Jones, Hartnell, Gagner, and Karlsson (and Quincey at the deadline).

"built almost in its entirety" is doing quite a lot of work, imo.

Reactions: Cyclones Rock

Viqsi

"that chick from Ohio"
Oct 5, 2007
40N 83W (approx)
2016-2017 minus four years = 2012-2013 -> the year in which the team missed out on the playoffs on the last day via tiebreaker?

Anyway...

Cam Atkinson - Howson draftee
Nick Foligno - Howson trade acquisition
Brandon Dubinsky - Howson trade acquisition
Boone Jenner - Howson draftee
Josh Anderson - Howson draftee
David Savard - Howson draftee
Jack Johnson - Howson trade acquisition
Matt Calvert - Howson draftee
Lukas Sedlak - Howson draftee
Ryan Murray - Howson draftee
Dalton Prout - Howson draftee
Sergei Bobrovsky - Howson trade acquisition
Joonas Korpisalo - Howson draftee
Curtis McElhinney - Howson trade acquisition

Jarmo/JD drafted Wennberg, Bjorkstrand, Werenski, Nutivaara, and Carlsson and acquired Saad, Jones, Hartnell, Gagner, and Karlsson (and Quincey at the deadline).

"built almost in its entirety" is doing quite a lot of work, imo.
1) The bulk of those guys were developed by this front office, and
2) Don't try and sell me on the idea that y'all actually thought anything good at all about Howson at the time, because there was literally only one guy really pushing that idea (@Mayor Bee) and virtually nobody was taking him seriously - just one or two posters here and there saying "yeah, but we had to move on anyways" (including myself). By this measure, if we fire JD and JK right now, and then win the lottery and have a competitive team in two or three years, the new guy deserves little or no credit because JD And JK Built The Roster. Either that or y'all are pushing to re-hire Howson.

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
2016-17 was built almost in its entirety by ...

... the same person who is now CEO of the AHL.

1) The bulk of those guys were developed by this front office, and
2) Don't try and sell me on the idea that y'all actually thought anything good at all about Howson at the time, because there was literally only one guy really pushing that idea (@Mayor Bee) and virtually nobody was taking him seriously - just one or two posters here and there saying "yeah, but we had to move on anyways" (including myself).

Defending Howson is why I joined HF.

By this measure, if we fire JD and JK right now, and then win the lottery and have a competitive team in two or three years, the new guy deserves little or no credit because JD And JK Built The Roster. Either that or y'all are pushing to re-hire Howson.

I would consider that an upgrade.

Iron Balls McGinty

Aug 5, 2005
By this measure, if we fire JD and JK right now, and then win the lottery and have a competitive team in two or three years, the new guy deserves little or no credit because JD And JK Built The Roster. Either that or y'all are pushing to re-hire Howson.

I would consider that an upgrade.
If we are competitive in 2-3 year with someone else running the show, I' say Jarmo who?

Sometimes someone can only take a job so far and needs someone else to finish it. Torts did his job he was brought in to do but could only take it so far. Sadly we kept him too long with no good succession plan.

The key thing through all of this is that I think everyone can agree we have no definitive plan we are following and management has seemed to change direction on a whim because the team won a few more games than they expected in a given year. That has happened twice now that I can recall.

Reactions: MAHJ71

koteka

Jan 1, 2017
Central Ohio
If we are competitive in 2-3 year with someone else running the show, I' say Jarmo who?
I’ll give Jarmo credit for his part. But I’ll also give the new regime credit.

Sometimes someone can only take a job so far and needs someone else to finish it.
100%.

The key thing through all of this is that I think everyone can agree we have no definitive plan we are following and management has seemed to change direction on a whim
I can’t see a plan. As I have said before, we seem to be more reactionary than following a well-developed plan.

koteka

Jan 1, 2017
Central Ohio
According to the Athletic, we probably should no longer dress Gavrikov against the Canes

It is not good (but also not surprising) that not only was the Athletic’s pick for single worst NHL game played in 2022 was a game played by one of our defensemen (Gavrikov vs Carolina on 1/1/22), but one of the two honorable mentions was also by one of our defensemen (Boqvist vs Carolina on 2/25/22). Maybe we should just stop playing the Canes. I was trying to forget that 4 goal blown lead against Carolina (when we were leading 4-0 and then gave up 7 goals), but this article reminded me of it.

Reactions: ViD and majormajor

spintheblackcircle

incoming!!!
Mar 1, 2002

Blue Jackets fans now can get their share of sausage and cream puffs from a Columbus favorite inside Nationwide Arena.

Located on the southwest side of the arena, Schmidt’s Sausage Haus will serve its bratwursts, Bahama Mamas and more to hockey fans after signing a partnership deal with the team.

DEF

Oct 24, 2008
White Castle's
Only took 22 years to get Schmidt's at the arena. When the arena first opened, the idiots in charge said Columbus had no signature food. Then there was the organ disaster. They obliviously had never been to a hockey game.
I used to usher at the Owl's games. We got paid 5 bucks
at the end of the second period. I could get a Bahama mama and a draft Leinenkugel's red and got change back from my 5.

koteka

Jan 1, 2017
Central Ohio
Only took 22 years to get Schmidt's at the arena. When the arena first opened, the idiots in charge said Columbus had no signature food. Then there was the organ disaster. They obliviously had never been to a hockey game.
at the end of the second period. I could get a Bahama mama and a draft Leinenkugel's red and got change back from my 5.

If I would have been in charge, I would have tried to have Schmidt’s, Camp Washington Chili, and probably pierogis from someplace in Cleveland. And Graeters. Really play up the Ohio foods. Maybe even Swensen’s, Marion’s, and Tony Packo’s. (They do have Skyline, but I prefer Camp Washington.)

Reactions: Fro and DEF

cbjthrowaway

Jul 4, 2020
pretty wild that they don't have hot chicken takeover in there yet, either, given that it's in the shoe and the new crew stadium already. plus, HCT's first permanent space (north market) is right by the arena.

squashmaple

gudbranson apologist
Sponsor
Sep 24, 2022
Columbus
cant wait to be able to get a Schmidt's brat or dog in the arena. Im guessing $15 for a bahamma mama?
It was $11 with STH discount for me, iirc. Comes with German potato salad and kraut, which I then put on my Bahama Mama with brown mustard (they had Guilden's packets at the Schmidt's stand). There were other options, but that was the only one that I wanted. I personally think their cream puffs are gross.

Reactions: koteka

DougKnowsBest

Feb 6, 2004
Newark, Ohio
It was $11 with STH discount for me, iirc. Comes with German potato salad and kraut, which I then put on my Bahama Mama with brown mustard (they had Guilden's packets at the Schmidt's stand). There were other options, but that was the only one that I wanted. I personally think their cream puffs are gross.

Glad to hear it’s not paired with the arena French fries

Reactions: koteka

spintheblackcircle

incoming!!!
Mar 1, 2002

The cream is great. The puff is awful

Iron Balls McGinty

Aug 5, 2005
Am I the only person who just really isn't that into Schmidt's? Sausages are good but so are many other sausages. I don't go out of my way for cream puffs and I think the smell of sauerkraut makes me want to vomit.

squashmaple

gudbranson apologist
Sponsor
Sep 24, 2022
Columbus
I liked the buffet when they had it pre-pandemic because then I could get bits I wanted. But yeah, I live in Clintonville and I'm not about to go all the way down to German Village for a sausage. The cream puffs are always silmy inside because they pre-fill them and then put them in a cooler. Gross.

DEF

Oct 24, 2008
White Castle's
You guys aern't German enough. Mom=Hoffman, Grandmother=Miller, Great Grandmother=Bausch, Great Great grandmother=Patzer.

We Want Ten

Johnny Gaudreau
Apr 5, 2013
Columbus
Agree that Schmidt's Puffs are overrated at best. Best cream puff I have ever had was at a Chinese Buffett in Chicago about 7 years ago. Blew my mind.

German/French ancestry here, so I am familiar with the cuisine.

• Haha

Iron Balls McGinty

Aug 5, 2005
You guys aern't German enough. Mom=Hoffman, Grandmother=Miller, Great Grandmother=Bausch, Great Great grandmother=Patzer.
I'm actually probably more German than anything but my familiy doesn't celebrate German stuff. The food seems disgusting. I like beer though so there is that.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad