Rumor: In-season Proposals, Rumors, Free Agents & Roster Moves (related topics) LIV

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

Averick*

On another note, while I think trading Paul Stastny is a better alternative to losing him for nothing, it would be one of the bigger shockers in Avalanche history if he isn't a member of the team 40 hours from now.

Having him a whole season is better than trading him for crap. People need to stop with the "better than losing him for nothing." He's a UFA and so if the return isn't worth it (ie it's just more defenders similar to what we have...or even only slightly better) it's better to keep him, not mess with the chemistry, and ride out the season.

Lonewolfe2015

Rom Com Male Lead
Sponsor
Dec 2, 2007
Let's not act like Stastny has to sign before the deadline... a strong playoff run and a hard fought series could be all he needs to accept a deal with us.

Averick*

Let's not act like Stastny has to sign before the deadline... a strong playoff run and a hard fought series could be all he needs to accept a deal with us.

Doubtful it works that way. It's starting to seem that money ( or being in St Louis) is the only thing that matters. If it were the case otherwise, he most likely would have signed by now.

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Feb 24, 2012
Doubtful it works that way. It's starting to seem that money ( or being in St Louis) is the only thing that matters. If it were the case otherwise, he most likely would have signed by now.

All of that based on a couple quotes where he talks about culture and winning?

shadow1

Nov 29, 2008
Having him a whole season is better than trading him for crap. People need to stop with the "better than losing him for nothing." He's a UFA and so if the return isn't worth it (ie it's just more defenders similar to what we have...or even only slightly better) it's better to keep him, not mess with the chemistry, and ride out the season.

Recent history suggests that if the Avalanche do trade him, it won't be for "crap".

Colorado Avalanche

No Babe pictures
Sponsor
Apr 24, 2004
Lieto

We are getting at least some assests back and we can always send him out of our division and hope he signs with some other team than St.Louis. We would get good return. Teams will pay more for Stastny, because he's kinda player teams would like to have for next 6-7 years. I don't think team after him will just think short-term playoffs.

Foppa2118

Oct 3, 2003
At this point, it's fair to question the sincerity of Stastny saying he wants to be in Denver.

What has he done to make you doubt his sincerity? I take those words as more sincere from him than most pending UFA's.

Foppa2118

Oct 3, 2003
Here's some wishful thinking I just daydreamed. What if Roy pulls two rabbits out of a hat at the deadline this year, and foregoes all the smoke screen he let Dater send off about doing nothing, by bringing in both Edler and Ehrhoff and re-unites them on the 2nd pairing?

I would not be opposed to shipping out all of PAP, Barrie, Siemens, Elliott, Aitto or Pickard, 2014 1st, and any extras like Wilson, Malone, etc if it meant they could solidify their top four for the next 5+ years at some pretty reasonable cap hits.

Hejda - EJ
Edler - Ehrhoff
Holden - Guenin

Bigras hopefully takes over for Hejda after next year.

member 116861

Here's some wishful thinking I just daydreamed. What if Roy pulls two rabbits out of a hat at the deadline this year, and forego's all the smoke screen he let Dater send off about doing nothing, by bringing in both Edler and Ehrhoff and re-unites them on the 2nd pairing?

I would not be opposed to shipping out all of PAP, Barrie, Siemens, Elliott, Aitto or Pickard, 2014 1st, and any extras like Wilson, Malone, etc if it meant they could solidify their top four for the next 5+ years at some pretty reasonable cap hits.

Hejda - EJ
Edler - Ehrhoff
Holden - Guenin

Bringing in Edler and Ehrhoff would be epic. I know at least 2 people who would become Avs fans if we were able to bring them in.

Averick*

Making assumptions that he doesn't want to stay in Denver based on nothing other than he hasn't signed yet. It is a jump to conclusions.

I still don't see how it's unfair. It's reality. They've had months to get a deal done and it hasn't happened yet. It's also hard to ignore how it's less than coincidental that his leverage goes up, once then trade deadline comes and goes and he hasn't been signed. It's completely fair to point all of this out.

The Mars Volchenkov

Mar 31, 2002
Colorado
Here's some wishful thinking I just daydreamed. What if Roy pulls two rabbits out of a hat at the deadline this year, and foregoes all the smoke screen he let Dater send off about doing nothing, by bringing in both Edler and Ehrhoff and re-unites them on the 2nd pairing?

Hejda - EJ
Edler - Ehrhoff
Holden - Guenin

That's a ton of assets to trade away. I'm not sure the organization is in the position to move that many assets.

I think it's unfair to question Stastny wanting to stay in Denver, but reading his comments, it seems highly unlikely he'll sign an extension before Wednesday and that worries me. I really don't want to go past the deadline without an extension because I don't think it will happen past that point.

Foppa2118

Oct 3, 2003
That's a ton of assets to trade away. I'm not sure the organization is in the position to move that many assets.

I think it's unfair to question Stastny wanting to stay in Denver, but reading his comments, it seems highly unlikely he'll sign an extension before Wednesday and that worries me. I really don't want to go past the deadline without an extension because I don't think it will happen past that point.

Definitely, but if they can bring in Edler who has five more years at $5M left on his deal, and Ehrhoff who has seven years left at $4M, that pretty much takes care of their top 4 for the foreseeable future along with EJ, whom they should easily be able to afford a raise for. It's a perfectly aged D core too with Ehrhoff 31, Edler 27, and EJ 25.

Not a whole lot of room or need for guys like Siemens and Elliott, and we were already willing to part with PAP and the 1st this year for one quality defenseman. Losing one of Aitto and Pickard shouldn't be that big a deal either with Varly locked up, and Martin and the other guys in the pipeline as well.

Keeping Bigras to hopefully take over for Hejda should be pretty solid, and if he doesn't happen to be quite as good as hoped, they'll have plenty of cash for a top 4 UFA to play with EJ when Hejda's deal is over, or perhaps even extend him another year or two.

I assume the Stastny comment may have been directed at someone else. I'm not worried about signing Staz before the deadline personally. Either he'll sign at some point, or not, and I'm doubtful there's a team out there willing to give up the right deal to make it worth losing him for this stretch run, and hurting team chemistry. He might be the most popular Av in that dressing room. He's been here the longest, and everyone loves him.

Averick*

If he doesn't sign the extension, it's because his agent is in his ear. His agent also probably put him up to saying he wants to stay.

Avs44

May 16, 2011
What has he done to make you doubt his sincerity? I take those words as more sincere from him than most pending UFA's.

Well, he's not really done anything to make us believe him either. It's March 3rd, two days before the trade deadline and....no contract.

I would love Stastny to remain here and as much as the Avs fan part of me is telling me he will, let's face it, New Jersey fans were even more confident than we are that Parise would stay there. Parise also said he wanted to stay in New Jersey and after the deadline when he still was not signed New Jersey fans had countless reasons why. They said they had faith in Lou. Words are nothing but words. Stastny signing his name on a contract actually means something, his statements don't(and they weren't even that reassuring today). I just hope if he won't re-sign Roy and Sakic are smart enough to get something for him. Likewise, if he wants to wait around until this off-season before making a decision and playing games with everyone, trade him. I love Stastny but in 2-3 years the Avs won't need him that badly.

Bender

Sep 25, 2002

Hejda - EJ
Edler - Ehrhoff
Holden - Guenin

I don't think Tyson Barrie should be on ANYONE'S trade list.

He's got 21 points in his last 27 games played. Even if he was playing horrible defensively, which he is not, that's some pretty frickin' amazing stats right there.

The past 20 games or so, he's been playing exceptionally well BOTH offensively and defensively.

I wouldn't move a guy that young, showing what he's showing right now for either Elder or Ehrhoff straight-up! In fact, we need to get Barrie locked up as soon as possible.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad