Rumor: In-season Proposals, Rumors, Free Agents & Roster Moves (related topics) LIV

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

Foppa2118

Oct 3, 2003
Dater's gone of the rails in the speculation department. Now he's on to other teams.

Adrian Dater ‏@adater 11m
If Minny gets Halak it'll destroy team chemistry IMO. Nothing against him, but Kuemper has support of room. Halak hasn't earned it

I don't follow Minny that closely, but how would bringing in Halak "destroy team chemistry" and Kuemper have the support of the room in all of his 18 games this year?

Avs71

Aug 12, 2008
I would not trade Barrie at this point. 5 less points in 15 less games than Ehrhoff, and 9 more points than Edler in the same amount of games. It's not as if the Avs defencemen are suffering defensively. Guenin, Hejda, EJ, and Sarich are all above average in the defensive zone, Benoit and Barrie are alright, and Holden is bad. Going forward, trading Barrie would downgrade the offensive ability of the defence, unless a select few player are coming back.

Avs44

May 16, 2011
Dater's gone of the rails in the speculation department. Now he's on to other teams.

Adrian Dater ‏@adater 11m
If Minny gets Halak it'll destroy team chemistry IMO. Nothing against him, but Kuemper has support of room. Halak hasn't earned it

I don't follow Minny that closely, but how would bringing in Halak "destroy team chemistry" and Kuemper have the support of the room in all of his 18 games this year?

So I pretty much shouldn't pay attention to anything Dater says in the next 48 hours? Got it.

Dater logic - *team acquiring player at trade deadline will destroy team chemistry, disaster will ensue*

RockLobster

King in the North
Jul 5, 2003
Kansas
I would not trade Barrie at this point. 5 less points in 15 less games than Ehrhoff, and 9 more points than Edler in the same amount of games. It's not as if the Avs defencemen are suffering defensively. Guenin, Hejda, EJ, and Sarich are all above average in the defensive zone, Benoit and Barrie are alright, and Holden is bad. Going forward, trading Barrie would downgrade the offensive ability of the defence, unless a select few player are coming back.

I want to preface in saying that I am no way advocating the trading of Tyson Barrie.

With that out of the way I am going to vehemently disagree with the bolded. Aside from EJ and Hejda our Defensemen are routinely bad in their own zone. Whether they are outmuscled a lot of the times (like Barrie) or just watching players score while standing and doing nothing (usually Guenin).

There's a reason why we've all been b****ing about the Avs Defense (aside from Hejda and EJ) all year.

Avs71

Aug 12, 2008
I want to preface in saying that I am no way advocating the trading of Tyson Barrie.

With that out of the way I am going to vehemently disagree with the bolded. Aside from EJ and Hejda our Defensemen are routinely bad in their own zone. Whether they are outmuscled a lot of the times (like Barrie) or just watching players score while standing and doing nothing (usually Guenin).

There's a reason why we've all been b****ing about the Avs Defense (aside from Hejda and EJ) all year.
Meh, they're not the greatest group to watch, but what bugs me more is the getting burned in the neutral zone, bad pinches, not taking a guy right in front of the net. Or stupid plays like when Holden tried absorbing that hit behind the net, and had the puck taken and immediately passed into the slot for a goal. In terms of being in the defensive zone, they're alright for the most part. I'm saying they're not so bad that the upgrade from Barrie to Edler or Ehrhoff defensively would be worth losing Barrie's scoring ability.

Avs_19

Jun 28, 2007
Barrie had a poor stretch earlier in the season but he has been very good for a while now. Not making excuses for him because he was making a lot of questionable decisions with the puck but I don't think Roy was doing him any favours either. Seemed like he was on a very short leash from the beginning and he was afraid to make mistakes. Roy said Tourigny really likes Barrie and who knows, maybe the tough love made him a better player. He still needs to be stronger and better in the defensive zone but I think he's a keeper.

Foppa2118

Oct 3, 2003
I don't think Tyson Barrie should be on ANYONE'S trade list.

He's got 21 points in his last 27 games played. Even if he was playing horrible defensively, which he is not, that's some pretty frickin' amazing stats right there.

The past 20 games or so, he's been playing exceptionally well BOTH offensively and defensively.

I wouldn't move a guy that young, showing what he's showing right now for either Elder or Ehrhoff straight-up! In fact, we need to get Barrie locked up as soon as possible.

Guess we'll have to disagree on that. Barrie's playing great offensively. Edler and Ehrhoff are both solid upgrades as two way defenseman in my book. Them together on the 2nd pairing is light years ahead of what we have now with Barrie.

Barrie is playing horrible defensively by the way. That hasn't changed. He's just finally found some consistency, and is playing great offensively jumping into the play with confidence.

Cypher

May 25, 2011
Edmonton
avalanche.nhl.com
Bob McKenzie ‏@TSNBobMcKenzie 4m
Waivers today: Kobasew (PIT), McLaren (TOR), Larsen (EDM), Dubnyk (NSH).

Seriously, I hope the Avs claim Kobasew. With Tanguay out for the year, and the Avs still only carrying 12 forwards, Kobasew would be the ideal 12th/13th forward (veteran, RW and wouldn't disrupt team chemistry).

Foppa2118

Oct 3, 2003
Seriously, I hope the Avs claim Kobasew. With Tanguay out for the year, and the Avs still only carrying 12 forwards, Kobasew would be the ideal 12th/13th forward (veteran, RW and wouldn't disrupt team chemistry).

You know as much as he sucked in the past for the Avs, he at least was usually not gonna hurt you too much defensively, and had the occasional spurts of pretty good play.

At the very least, they need something like that. I wouldn't be opposed to bringing him in for free as a 13th/14th guy. They need someone. I don't see how they go through the trade deadline without bringing in a reliable NHL proven depth forward.

I mean who the hell do they have if someone gets injured? There's no one.

PAZ

Jul 14, 2011
BC
Our defense in terms of actually playing defense is pretty bad. Everyone already knows that Hejda and EJ are our only defenseman that are solid defensively in all 3 zones. Barrie is below average, Sarich is average, Holden is below average, and Guenin is a bit better, but he's still lost in our own zone unless he's on the PK.

Foppa2118

Oct 3, 2003
Our defense in terms of actually playing defense is pretty bad. Everyone already knows that Hejda and EJ are our only defenseman that are solid defensively in all 3 zones. Barrie is below average, Sarich is average, Holden is below average, and Guenin is a bit better, but he's still lost in our own zone unless he's on the PK.

I agree with your general sentiment but I think you gave Sarich too much credit. He might be the worst out of all of them defensively. He just can't skate, and is constantly in trouble out there. He's not even that strong out there despite his size. He goes to clear guys out of the way, or hit them and he's always the one that gets knocked down.

Like you said though, the problem is the defensive play outside of Hejda-EJ. It's quite literally the only thing wrong with the lineup, and when they give up goals and/or lose games, 90% of time it's from mistakes that didn't need to happen by one of those defenseman.

PAZ

Jul 14, 2011
BC
I agree with your general sentiment but I think you gave Sarich too much credit. He might be the worst out of all of them defensively. He just can't skate, and is constantly in trouble out there. He's not even that strong out there despite his size. He goes to clear guys out of the way, or hit them and he's always the one that gets knocked down.

Like you said though, the problem is the defensive play outside of Hejda-EJ. It's quite literally the only thing wrong with the lineup, and when they give up goals and/or lose games, 90% of time it's from mistakes that didn't need to happen by one of those defenseman.

I personally like Sarich, I barely notice him and that's a good thing in my books.

In fantasy land, imagine how much better our team would be this year if we were able to snag Sekera from Buffalo for a package like Elliot + 2nd (Bigras).

MikeC

Feb 28, 2002
L'Assomption
I don't think Tyson Barrie should be on ANYONE'S trade list.

He's got 21 points in his last 27 games played. Even if he was playing horrible defensively, which he is not, that's some pretty frickin' amazing stats right there.

The past 20 games or so, he's been playing exceptionally well BOTH offensively and defensively.

I wouldn't move a guy that young, showing what he's showing right now for either Elder or Ehrhoff straight-up! In fact, we need to get Barrie locked up as soon as possible.

:handclap::handclap::handclap:

Barrie's value is lower on the market than what he is giving us at this moment and he is playing great hockey at this moment. So we need keep him.

We need to get Barrie locked up and we need someone to play with him (we need to clone Hedja)

klozge

Avs
Jul 19, 2009
Espelkamp, Germany
Guess we'll have to disagree on that. Barrie's playing great offensively. Edler and Ehrhoff are both solid upgrades as two way defenseman in my book. Them together on the 2nd pairing is light years ahead of what we have now with Barrie.

Barrie is playing horrible defensively by the way. That hasn't changed. He's just finally found some consistency, and is playing great offensively jumping into the play with confidence.
I don't see it. I really don't. Not saying he is great defensively but his decision making has improved a lot, he uses his speed to cover up mistakes of the other dman on his pairing and has found ways to be effective despite being so small. I know stats don't tell the whole story but he's the dman with the 2nd most takeaways on the team and he's the 3rd best player in the +/- category (twice as good as the 2nd best dman). He even has the 21st best +/- among dmen in the whole league. I know how misleading this stat can be but you won't be this good in this category while playing more than 18 minutes per game when you're horrible defensively.

He is and probably always will be a player you need to use in a smart way because of his size but he's not a liability in the d-zone anymore. And offensively? If he keeps developing the chemistry he has with MacKinnon (I love when they are on the ice together) we'll be in for a wild ride.

Freudian

Clearly deranged
Jul 3, 2003
I'm not sure why people have trouble grasping that many of the players also recognize that it's a business.

I think everyone here realize that. No one is discounting the possibility that this may be Paul Stastny's last season as an Avalanche player.

I just don't see how your worst case scenario speculation is particularly interesting. You don't have the first clue about what is happening so you making stuff about what Stastny or his agent thinks about anything is, while somewhat entertaining, not all that interesting.

Averick*

I think everyone here realize that. No one is discounting the possibility that this may be Paul Stastny's last season as an Avalanche player.

I just don't see how your worst case scenario speculation is particularly interesting. You don't have the first clue about what is happening so you making stuff about what Stastny or his agent thinks about anything is, while somewhat entertaining, not all that interesting.

Who's the one that's all upset?

No, it doesn't really seem like everyone does realize that. Also, regarding not being privy to what's happening, that pretty much goes for everyone here. So it's not like you have the wind at your back where that's concerned.

Look, like I said, I home this scenario that I'm addressing isn't the case. But when you add things up, it's really starting to look that way. As a matter of fact, I'm starting to wonder why I ever believed that Stastny meant what he said about wanting to be here. Of course there were probably caveats that were unmentioned but implied.

One thing that we do know is that they've had months to address this--nothing. And when you think about who stands to benefit more by not getting something done, it's Stastny. In fact, once the deadline comes and goes, the Avs shift to bidding against the perceived market. Stastny virtually has one foot out the door when the trade deadline comes.

It's a bitter pill and a hard reality. I hope I'm wrong but that's a glaring reality that people would be better off accepting.

Ivan13

Not posting anymore
May 3, 2011
Zagreb, Croatia
Everyone is aware Stastny might leave if it comes to UFA status (hell you were attacking AB a week ago on the main boards when he raised his concerns about Stastny, saying there's no way Paul will leave), but your conspiracy theories are going a bit too far.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad