Rumor: In-season Proposals, Rumors, Free Agents & Roster Moves (related topics) LIV

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

Foppa2118

Oct 3, 2003
I think you have something against him. Pretty much every post about Barrie from you is complaining about him or suggesting he should be traded. If you say something positive about him, it's begrudgingly after he's had a fantastic game.

No one is disagreeing with Avs needing to upgrade the defense, but your insistence that Barrie has to go the other way is strange. He and EJ are the only keepers we have currently.

That's not true. Since I criticize his poor play, I also try to give him credit for good smart offensive plays, and I've been doing that more often lately in GDT's, because he's been playing very well offensively. Unfortunately, he still gets in a lot of trouble defensively on most shifts.

I also tend to point out his mistakes more, because i don't think people pay attention to player's defensive play. They lose focus a bit and wait for the team to go on offense. It's the only reason I can think of that I see posts saying Barrie has played well defensively, when I and others see him make glaring errors defensively on most shifts. It's not a matter of opinion, he makes mistakes other defenseman on most teams don't make, and he makes more of them than most. People for some reason just don't see them.

I'm not as big a fan of one dimensional, soft offensive defenseman. I don't think they have nearly as high a value to a team when it's all said and done (especially in the playoffs) as people think because they're more flashy than other players.

I don't have anything against Barrie personally though. He seems like one of the nicest people on the team, and also a good hard working kid with a lot of respect for others.

chet1926

Jan 9, 2008
Denver
So shall we come up with some wild predictions?

Here are mine (none of which will happen and are probably off in value :laugh:):

Avs:
2015 Conditional 3rd round pick (on 60 games played in 2015, if not turns to a 5th)

Buffalo:
Ryan Wilson

Avs:
Chris Butler

Calgary:
2014 4th round pick

Avs:
Peter Andersson

Vancouver:
Joey Hishon

Stastny doesn't get re-signed nor does he get traded, but my prediction if he is traded:

Avs:
Artem Anisimov
Tim Erixon
2015 Conditional pick (1st if Stastny re-signs, 2nd if he doesn't)

Columbus
Paul Stastny

The only one of those I hope is accurate is the Calgary one. That would be a steal for us for a 4th rd pick.

Don't care about the Hishon one, my guess is he is done with our franchise anyways. Same with the Wilson one, not sure why Buffalo a deep defensive team would do it, plus they are rebuilding so why give up a decent pick.

I hope you are not right about the Columbus one involving Stastny, that would make me vomit. Don't need Anisimov, there is obviously some issue with Erixon as he has been traded a ton already, the pick doesn't do much for us as it most likely becomes a 2nd as I don't see Staz signing in Columbus. If we are trading with Columbus for Staz it better start with at minimum JMFJ.

The biggest problem with trading Stastny is we are going to have to take back some money or most teams aren't going to be able to afford him. That's why JMFJ makes sense as a piece coming back because he makes like 4.25M. I'd probably ask for JJ and a decent prospect (not top end but decent) or young roster player.

CobraAcesS

De Opresso Liber
Sponsor
Jul 20, 2011
Michigan
The only one of those I hope is accurate is the Calgary one. That would be a steal for us for a 4th rd pick.

Don't care about the Hishon one, my guess is he is done with our franchise anyways. Same with the Wilson one, not sure why Buffalo a deep defensive team would do it, plus they are rebuilding so why give up a decent pick.

I hope you are not right about the Columbus one involving Stastny, that would make me vomit. Don't need Anisimov, there is obviously some issue with Erixon as he has been traded a ton already, the pick doesn't do much for us as it most likely becomes a 2nd as I don't see Staz signing in Columbus. If we are trading with Columbus for Staz it better start with at minimum JMFJ.

The biggest problem with trading Stastny is we are going to have to take back some money or most teams aren't going to be able to afford him. That's why JMFJ makes sense as a piece coming back because he makes like 4.25M. I'd probably ask for JJ and a decent prospect (not top end but decent) or young roster player.

Did you forget Stastny is a UFA at the end of this season? No team is going to give up that level of defender for a UFA alone, without some kind of insurance.

Bender

Sep 25, 2002

Here are mine (none of which will happen and are probably off in value :laugh:):

Avs:
2015 Conditional 3rd round pick (on 60 games played in 2015, if not turns to a 5th)

Buffalo:
Ryan Wilson

Avs:
Chris Butler

Calgary:
2014 4th round pick

Avs:
Peter Andersson

Vancouver:
Joey Hishon

Stastny doesn't get re-signed nor does he get traded, but my prediction if he is traded:

Avs:
Artem Anisimov
Tim Erixon

Columbus
Paul Stastny

Sure, I'll play along...

To Col:
Eller, C/LW
Gorges, LD
Andrighetto, RW

To MTL
Stastny, C
Wilson, LD
Elliott, RD

**Ektard then goes on to take full credit for predicting this one. :laugh:

What I would personally like to see happen (but I doubt it) :

To Col:
Smith-Pelley, RW
Shea Theodore, LD*
2nd round pick, 2014

The Ducks pay a premium to acquire Stastny from a conference rival. Shea Theodore is having an outstanding season with Seattle and is the key to the deal. Trading Stastny would suck giant donkey ass for a lot of reasons but if we're able to snag this kind of return instead of getting nothing, I'll be fine with it.

http://www.thehockeyprospector.com/...outing-report-8-shea-theodore-ld-seattle-whl/

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Feb 24, 2012

Buffalo needs salary and bodies for next season while they are still tanking. It is taking on a reclamation project who has shown talent in the past. With a 60 game provision, and it being Wilson, it is very unlikely to be a 3rd round pick. Much more likely to be a 5th round pick.

No teams are trading a youngish 2/3 defensemen for a UFA to be in Stastny. Those trades just don't happen. Any trade involving Stastny is going to be disappointing. Which is mostly the reason I don't think a deal gets done... nobody will pony up for Stastny. Anisimov would be a solid #3C for at least a few years and help plug the hole that trading Stastny creates. With Erixon, he forced his way out of Calgary to sign with the Rangers, and then Columbus demanded him in any trade for Nash (Erixon was the hold up at the deadline for that deal). I don't see a red flag there. Retaining a couple million (prorated so more like 500k) for the less than 25% of the season isn't a big deal if you get the right pieces.

hockeyfish

Feb 23, 2007
Seattle

Avs:

Buffalo:
Ryan Wilson

Avs:
Chris Butler

Calgary:
2014 4th round pick

Avs:
Peter Andersson

Vancouver:
Joey Hishon

Avs:
Artem Anisimov
Tim Erixon

Columbus
Paul Stastny

Ok, I'll put mine out.

Stastny extends contract today 6x6. News is broken by a Chicago deli clerk.

This evening, Wilson + Toronto's 4th to Carolina for Ruutu, a 7th, and 750k retained.

Tomorrow at the deadline, PAP, 2014 1st, Elliot, Hishon to Vancouver for Edler.

Freudian

Clearly deranged
Jul 3, 2003
Did you forget Stastny is a UFA at the end of this season? No team is going to give up that level of defender for a UFA alone, without some kind of insurance.

While I agree that Stastny won't fetch Jack Johnson I'm not sure JJ has a high trade value in general.

He's a guy that's super athletic and noticeably dumb on the ice. It's not a pure coincidence he's 341st of 342 active defenders when it comes to +/-, even if being on below average teams is the biggest factor.

Cousin Eddie

You Serious Clark?
Nov 3, 2006
Sure, I'll play along...

To Col:
Eller, C/LW
Gorges, LD
Andrighetto, RW

To MTL
Stastny, C
Wilson, LD
Elliott, RD

**Ektard then goes on to take full credit for predicting this one. :laugh:

What I would personally like to see happen (but I doubt it) :

To Col:
Smith-Pelley, RW
Shea Theodore, LD*
2nd round pick, 2014

The Ducks pay a premium to acquire Stastny from a conference rival. Shea Theodore is having an outstanding season with Seattle and is the key to the deal. Trading Stastny would suck giant donkey ass for a lot of reasons but if we're able to snag this kind of return instead of getting nothing, I'll be fine with it.

http://www.thehockeyprospector.com/...outing-report-8-shea-theodore-ld-seattle-whl/

I don't think the Habs would trade Gorges alone for that package.

CobraAcesS

De Opresso Liber
Sponsor
Jul 20, 2011
Michigan
While I agree that Stastny won't fetch Jack Johnson I'm not sure JJ has a high trade value in general.

He's a guy that's super athletic and noticeably dumb on the ice. It's not a pure coincidence he's 341st of 342 active defenders when it comes to +/-, even if being on below average teams is the biggest factor.

I don't think his trade value is that high, but it's far higher than a rental IMO.

Foppa2118

Oct 3, 2003
I don't believe that Barrie could be forced in a deal for Edler or Ehrhoff, he wouldn't be the asset either team would want. Niether team needs an offensive defensemen prospect. Barrie is not that good of a trade asset to fill the defensemen hole in the top 4.... Siemens is the best prospect asset the Avs have for that purpose.

Maybe. I don't think it's quite that clear though. I don't get the impression Buffalo is too discriminating about what they will and won't take in return. They seem to just want all the young players and draft picks they can get.

Not to mention, everyone one on the team is on the block. There's no way to know what their needs are long term. They could end up trading Myers, and have a need for a young offensive d man.

Vancouver seems to be in a similar situation. They seem to want to re-tool on the fly. There's no real telling who'll they'll have going into next season, or what their needs will be. A young offensive blueliner who had some great junior hockey seasons up the road in Kelowna BC, could be of great interest to a team like them.

There is one major difference.... EJ was what? 23? At the time of the trade. Edler is 27 (Almost 28 in April), and Ehrhoff is 31...

Edler... I'd probably include Barrie in a trade for him. Simply because of comparable offensive ceilings, with the added bonus that Edler is a big mobile left handed defender.

I do think he could improve defensively in our system, and with a solid partner like EJ.

Ehrhoff? no ******* way, Barrie could surpass him in just about every aspect of the game within a year or two, especially as he gets older.

Fair enough. I'll disagree on Ehrhoff though. Over the course of a full season, and playing on the same team I don't think Barrie produces that much more offensively, if at all, and is still worse defensively. Even more so in the playoffs. I think that will more or less be the case for at least the next five years, but that's just my hunch. I'm not one to make any firm declarations.

From a hockey standpoint, I'd take either Edler or Ehrhoff over Barrie, particularly Edler. The length of Ehrhoff's contract concerns me a bit though.

Don't think the Avs could get either of those two guys for Barrie though.

No, they couldn't get them alone. I just included Barrie's name in a kind of wishful thinking post, saying I'd give up a lot of assets to get both of them because it would solidify the top four for a long long time, and there'd be no need for a lot of those assets as a result.

I'm personally not that concerned with Ehrhoff's contract. If Buffalo trades him, it's highly likely they'll want to trade for him back at the end of his deal to buy him out and avoid a much more expensive cap recapture penalty.

If his play starts to slip, then his role on the team will diminish and he becomes a risk to retire early since he'll be making peanuts at the end of his deal. If he won't want to retire, he'll be a risk for the Avs to cheaply buy him out themselves. Both of these scenarios are worse than if the Sabres buy them out themselves.

Either way, him not playing well at the end of his deal should almost be of no concern, because they seemingly should have the free option to trade him back to Buffalo at any time.

Bender

Sep 25, 2002
From a hockey standpoint, I'd take either Edler or Ehrhoff over Barrie, particularly Edler. The length of Ehrhoff's contract concerns me a bit though.

Don't think the Avs could get either of those two guys for Barrie though.

I think a lot of people are going off of what Edler USED to be rather than how he's played for the better part of the last 2 seasons. Think about it, why in the hell would the Canucks even want to give up a 27 year old signed to a reasonable contact (as long as he's playing top minutes) if there isn't a major issue going on with his play?? Even most reasonable fans would give him a 'pass' based on what he's done the past. Edler is in very much the same situation as Svatos was, when he started falling off and a large portion of Avs fans were trying to peddle him on the trade boards. This guy has been in every single Canucks fans trade proposal for a long time now. Speaks volume.

Could he turn it all around with a change of scenery trade? Maybe, but I know I wouldn't want to be the guy giving up a lot to find out.

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Feb 24, 2012
Maybe. I don't think it's quite that clear though. I don't get the impression Buffalo is too discriminating about what they will and won't take in return. They seem to just want all the young players and draft picks they can get.

Not to mention, everyone one on the team is on the block. There's no way to know what their needs are long term. They could end up trading Myers, and have a need for a young offensive d man.

Vancouver seems to be in a similar situation. They seem to want to re-tool on the fly. There's no real telling who'll they'll have going into next season, or what their needs will be. A young offensive blueliner who had some great junior hockey seasons up the road in Kelowna BC, could be of great interest to a team like them.

Buffalo has Risto, Zadorov, Pysyk, McCabe, McNabb, and Ruhwedel as prospects with McBain in the NHL. McBain, Risto, Pysyk, and Ruhwedel are all right shots and close to ready... the last thing they need are more right shot defensemen, or defensive prospects in general. Rumors are out there that even if Ekblad was rated higher on their board they would avoid taking him because he is a defensemen.

Vancouver has Bieksa, Tanev, and Diaz down the right side and they are very high on Tanev... they don't need a Barrie like defender with those 3. And Barrie wouldn't fit in a Torts system for 2 seconds before being benched.

CobraAcesS

De Opresso Liber
Sponsor
Jul 20, 2011
Michigan
Fair enough. I'll disagree on Ehrhoff though. Over the course of a full season, and playing on the same team I don't think Barrie produces that much more offensively, if at all, and is still worse defensively. Even more so in the playoffs. I think that will more or less be the case for at least the next five years, but that's just my hunch. I'm not one to make any firm declarations.

I agree with you on Ehrhoff's contract.

These are Barrie and Ehrhoffs PPG numbers : .49 PPG & .54PPG

Guess who is who? One player has a 18 minute per game average, and the other has a 23 minute per game average.

I would not trade Barrie for Ehrhoff straight across, let alone 'include' him in a package. Ehrhoff is pretty bad defensively himself, and has a strong chance of declining in the near future.

Barrie struggled early adapting to Roy, but hes done nothing but show the type of play we seen from him in the lockout year for a while now. (Technically even better offensively)

I do also think that Barrie having to play with Holden/Guenin vs playing with Hejda makes a huge difference.

I know +/- is a meh stat but Barrie is +14, that's at least a little impressive.

Foppa2118

Oct 3, 2003
I think a lot of people are going off of what Edler USED to be rather than how he's played for the better part of the last 2 seasons. Think about it, why in the hell would the Canucks even want to give up a 27 year old signed to a reasonable contact (as long as he's playing top minutes) if there isn't a major issue going on with his play?? Even most reasonable fans would give him a 'pass' based on what he's done the past. Edler is in very much the same situation as Svatos was, when he started falling off and a large portion of Avs fans were trying to peddle him on the trade boards. This guy has been in every single Canucks fans trade proposal for a long time now. Speaks volume.

Could he turn it all around with a change of scenery trade? Maybe, but I know I wouldn't want to be the guy giving up a lot to find out.

He wasn't that bad last season, it's mainly this year, and the whole team seems to be out of sorts with Torts behind the bench.

He was on a 40 point pace through the shortened year last year, and put up 49 the year before. He's also only 27, it's not like it should be all down hill from here. He should have many good years left on his five year deal.

I think he could have a great rebirth playing for Roy and Tourigny like all the other D playing at their peak for them.

Pokecheque

I’ve been told it’s spelled “Pokecheck”
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2003
The Flatlands
www.armoredheadspace.com

:amazed:

Oh. My. God.

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Feb 24, 2012
Bob McKenzie ‏@TSNBobMcKenzie 58s
Trade rumors lit up when OTT staff seen meeting with Conacher/Corvo short while ago. No trade but won't be surprised if they're on waivers.

Foppa2118

Oct 3, 2003
Buffalo has Risto, Zadorov, Pysyk, McCabe, McNabb, and Ruhwedel as prospects with McBain in the NHL. McBain, Risto, Pysyk, and Ruhwedel are all right shots and close to ready... the last thing they need are more right shot defensemen, or defensive prospects in general. Rumors are out there that even if Ekblad was rated higher on their board they would avoid taking him because he is a defensemen.

Vancouver has Bieksa, Tanev, and Diaz down the right side and they are very high on Tanev... they don't need a Barrie like defender with those 3. And Barrie wouldn't fit in a Torts system for 2 seconds before being benched.

I just don't see Vancouver or Buffalo as being at all predictable in what their future roster will be, or who they'd turn down in trades. I don't think there's much at all to go on to read the mind of their GM, despite what's currently on their roster.

I agree with you on Ehrhoff's contract.

These are Barrie and Ehrhoffs PPG numbers : .49 PPG & .54PPG

Guess who is who? One player has a 18 minute per game average, and the other has a 23 minute per game average.

I would not trade Barrie for Ehrhoff straight across, let alone 'include' him in a package. Ehrhoff is pretty bad defensively himself, and has a strong chance of declining in the near future.

Barrie struggled early adapting to Roy, but hes done nothing but show the type of play we seen from him in the lockout year for a while now. (Technically even better offensively)

I do also think that Barrie having to play with Holden/Guenin vs playing with Hejda makes a huge difference.

I know +/- is a meh stat but Barrie is +14, that's at least a little impressive.

I don't put any stock into Barrie's +/- number. I watch him play defensively, he's not at all good, but he's been scoring lately and playing in an offensively role.

Ehrhoff is not "pretty bad" defensively, he plays for a bad team. He's much much better than Barrie defensively. Buffalo fans don't even want to move him because he's their best D man. He leads all their players in ice time by over 2 minutes, and averages more than 4 minutes than the 3rd place guy.

With his mobility, I don't see him declining any time soon either. He's only 31. Look how Hejda's been able to play due to his mobility at 35.

Cousin Eddie

You Serious Clark?
Nov 3, 2006
Curious if anybody claimed Kobasew. Should find out within a few minutes.
edit: 1 minute later Mckenzie tweets that everyone cleared.

Congo Jack

is a big fat mess.
Jun 28, 2011
Candy Apple Island
Bob McKenzie ‏@TSNBobMcKenzie 1m
On waivers today: Trevor Smith (TOR), Jake Dowell (MIN), Corey Potter (EDM), Joe Corvo and Cory Conacher (OTT), Derek Smith (CGY) plus...

Scott Gomez and Scot Clemmensen (FLA) also on waivers.

Foppa2118

Oct 3, 2003
Bob McKenzie ‏@TSNBobMcKenzie 58s
Trade rumors lit up when OTT staff seen meeting with Conacher/Corvo short while ago. No trade but won't be surprised if they're on waivers.

Renaud Lavoie ‏@LavoieRenaud 6s
Cory Conacher and Joe Corvo on waivers #senators #tvasports

Looks like they did. That Bishop trade ain't looking so hot for them anymore.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad