Rumor: In-season Proposals, Rumors, Free Agents & Roster Moves (related topics) LIV

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

tigervixxxen

Optimism=Delusional
Jul 7, 2013
Denver
burgundy-review.com
"Ryan is with us and he's going to be with us," Sakic told ESPN.com Tuesday. "He's a great hockey player. We've agreed to work on a contract in the summer, both sides."

Not that it needed to be confirmed really, but it's still nice to hear it come from Joe.

The quote from Newport made me feel better too, they realize O'Reilly wants to stay in Colorado.

That whole article made me feel better. Standing pat unless an amazing offer for Stastny comes in, that I can live with.

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Feb 24, 2012
The Stastny comments have me a little scared though. I really don't have a clue what is going to happen.

LeBrun read between the lines and might have inserted some of his thoughts on stuff he heard off the record.

Sakic certainly stopped short of saying he's not moving Stastny and that's because he can't really say that at this point. If a team offers up a top-four blue-liner in return for Stastny, as good as he's been this season, it might be hard to pass up.

hockeyfish

Feb 23, 2007
Seattle
LeBrun read between the lines and might have inserted some of his thoughts on stuff he heard off the record.

If I were to read between the lines, he singles out to pending free agents. Granted, one is restricted, but that hasn't stopped an ugly situation in the pass. About O'Reilly, he ruled out a trade and said something will be worked out during the summer. About Stastny, all he could do is call him a nice, well liked guy and say they don't want to trade him.

If the team felt like something could/should be worked out, I would have expected the same comments about O'Reilly to be said about Stastny. I don't know, but this seems to be the start of the nice, flowery, parting words you see about a player who has been a franchise type guy but ends up getting traded.

Ceremony

blahem
Jun 8, 2012
Am I the only one that wants to claim Conacher?

Claim Conacher
Trade Parenteau
????
Profit

One of Conacher/Parenteau has just been let go for nothing by his team, the other is a functioning top six forward who looks to be hitting some form. Why do you want to keep the bad one?

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Feb 24, 2012
If I were to read between the lines, he singles out to pending free agents. Granted, one is restricted, but that hasn't stopped an ugly situation in the pass. About O'Reilly, he ruled out a trade and said something will be worked out during the summer. About Stastny, all he could do is call him a nice, well liked guy and say they don't want to trade him.

If the team felt like something could/should be worked out, I would have expected the same comments about O'Reilly to be said about Stastny. I don't know, but this seems to be the start of the nice, flowery, parting words you see about a player who has been a franchise type guy but ends up getting traded.

You nailed it there. RFA vs UFA. They are treated differently, and without a doubt ROR has a brighter future here.

hockeyfish

Feb 23, 2007
Seattle
You nailed it there. RFA vs UFA. They are treated differently, and without a doubt ROR has a brighter future here.

But like I said/hinted to, it hasn't stopped him from signing another contract with another team.

I probably am reading too far between the lines, but I really don't think Stastny is going to be in the long term plans.

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Feb 24, 2012
But like I said/hinted to, it hasn't stopped him from signing another contract with another team.

I probably am reading too far between the lines, but I really don't think Stastny is going to be in the long term plans.

You are reading too much into it... really everybody is. Roy and Sakic have said he is in the plans over and over again this season. People say that Roy and Sakic are straight shooters until it comes down to things they don't want to hear or just don't believe. This is one of those topics. Obviously is Stastny prices himself out, or they get a huge offer they will trade him... so they shouldn't come out and say they are not trading him. It puts the organization in a bad spot because they won't get trade offers then.

RockLobster

King in the North
Jul 5, 2003
Kansas
My thoughts exactly.

Do-It.gif

*for the record I don't want them to claim Conacher, just couldn't resist this though*

Lonewolfe2015

Rom Com Male Lead
Sponsor
Dec 2, 2007
We have an empty spot on our roster that Roy refuses to use, I supposed Conacher couldn't hurt. Or any other bottom 6 forward. Let's him leave the LEM guys in LEM. Even though Malone really should be up with us.

Freudian

Clearly deranged
Jul 3, 2003
A team will claim him before Avs I suspect. Buffalo are going to need warm bodies now since they shipped out Ott and will ship out Moulson and possibly Stewart.

Pokecheque

I’ve been told it’s spelled “Pokecheck”
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2003
The Flatlands
www.armoredheadspace.com
I am probably the only one, but I really wish they'd look at someone like Gaborik, or at least Kulemin. We're one more forward injury away from not even having a top 6, and a third line of 4th liners or 13th forwards.

In the plans for the future could mean someone we'd look to extend as well.

The talent is unquestionable, the durability is not. Still, when someone that talented is available I hope the Avs at least inquired as to the price. My one issue with Gaborik's game is that he's a bit of a puckhog. One reason why him and Richards didn't click at all in NY.

Am I the only one that wants to claim Conacher?

Yes.

JLo217

Jul 22, 2009
Reno, NV
I read this morning that Marc Bergevin is ALSO is Chicago today. Hmm...

Source: Danslescoulisses
http://www.danslescoulisses.com/fr/...ge-ni-acheteur-ni-vendeur-le-ch-prolongation/

He mentions it as if to complain that Bergevin is not in Montreal to take care of things...

Not sure this is true or not but...

Creasy ‏@The_Creasy 2m
Unfortunate. Marc Bergevin will not be joining his team in LA for trade deadline as funeral for his mother in law is tomorrow. Prayers.

Punished ROR

a hero denied by hortons
Jul 3, 2006
IMO, if the Avs are smart and Stastny still doesn't have a contract by the deadline, he's gone.

It simply doesn't make sense to risk losing a valuable asset for nothing when you're still rebuilding. The rebuild is almost over, yes, but there are still missing pieces.

I've seen some start to rationalize the risk of losing Stastny by saying, "think of Stastny like a rental!"

OK, let's continue along this line of reasoning. What do rentals cost? Roster players, prospects, draft picks. That's what we'd be "trading" by not moving Stastny.

Now for what reason, exactly, are we giving up pieces for a rental? To get to the second round of the playoffs before that defense is eaten alive?

If we're treating Stastny as a rental, fine -- I'd still be just as angry as if the Avs gave up a roster player, prospect and pick for, say, Vanek. The time isn't right. It's a waste of assets.

Or perhaps we're taking this risk because of a shaky hope that we can get Stastny to re-sign in the offseason. But considering the development of our other centers, Stastny will soon be the weakest link at our deepest position, the risk outweighs the reward.

It's just not a smart gamble. The Avs have to get something for Paul, unless the something is so abysmally poor that it makes more sense to keep him. I can't imagine that being the case, though.

AvsWraith

Jan 21, 2010
Colorado
Joe Sakic said:
"Not likely to make a rental deal, no," Sakic said. "We're not in that position.

If you are keeping Stastny, knowing that he is going to test the market and leave for nothing, you are in that position. If you expect to not go that far in the playoffs, you have to get something for the future.

tucker3434

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 7, 2007
Atlanta, GA
Someone refresh me. Why not meszaros for a mid round pick? If all it does is get Holden off the pp for the rest of the season, seems like it'd be worth it to me.

tigervixxxen

Optimism=Delusional
Jul 7, 2013
Denver
burgundy-review.com
Joe Sakic said:

If you are keeping Stastny, knowing that he is going to test the market and leave for nothing, you are in that position. If you expect to not go that far in the playoffs, you have to get something for the future.

This team is operating a bit as the sum is greater than the parts. That's why team chemistry is more of a consideration here than on some contenders. Yes, Stastny could be a bit of a reverse rental but the chances of re-signing him is a lot higher than a real rental. We don't know what that something is that Stastny would bring back. A young legit top 4 D, that makes sense. A few spare parts doesn't.

tigervixxxen

Optimism=Delusional
Jul 7, 2013
Denver
burgundy-review.com
Stastny insists he hasn't talked to his agent, that his agent knows what he wants. It sounds like Stastny wants to stay and from Roy's quotes he's not going to move him unless its a great deal. Haven't we been saying this for months?

Avs44

May 16, 2011
"Everybody knows how the business works," Stastny said. "You can obviously go somewhere and get more money somewhere else. But if you have something good and you want to stick with it, that hometown discount is obviously something that everyone's aware of and is important to do. You want both sides to be happy. You don't want to (mistreat) the team and you want the team to be put in a good situation where they can kind of compete down the road as well."

Get him signed!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad