Rumor: In-season Proposals, Rumors, Free Agents & Roster Moves (related topics) L

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

sdbullet

Dec 19, 2002
San Diego
Visit site
A team with excess high end d-men Vancouver, moves:

Edler for Stastny - fills needs for both teams, defense for offense, EJ and Edler would be a great #1 pairing, pushing the rest of the dmen into their appropriate depth positions. Edler and Stastny are similar ages only difference being Edler is signed long term at a reasonable rate while Paul is a UFA, maybe add a pick and prospect to even that part of it out.

Sheet

Apr 1, 2013
Wait. We get better with the less talent we have up front?

Get on the horn with Toronto, boys. Duchene for anyone but JVR, Phaneuf, Kessel, and that other kid that's untouchable who's name escapes me.

We need to unload duchene, varly, EJ, Mack, RoR, and stas, and we will show this league true domination.

Avs71

Aug 12, 2008
I for one do not.

Blues fans have FINALLY wised up to everything we told them about Chris Stewart. This is not a contract year for him so no surprise, he's not lighting it up. I think they'll end up trading him and what they get in return will surprise a lot of people.

As far as Shattenkirk goes, well, obviously he's putting up a lot of points and he's looking real good with THAT defense but can you imagine if EJ was still on that team right now, how good he'd look??? Conversely, how do you think we'd do with a Hejda-Shattenkirk top pairing?? That's how you have to look at it.

When you consider how good EJ's been defensively, the 20 points he's put up and done all the heavy lifting on D along with Hejda for this team, I'll take him over Shattenkirk.
Agree with everything except the how good EJ would look in St. Louis. They don't need another big two-way defenceman, and EJ needed a fresh start. Shattenkirk is the perfect guy to play behind Pietrangelo. Johnson would be a bit wasted playing behind Petro. It really was a win-win deal.
--------------

Which non-playoff bound teams (currently) have defencemen that could play on the top-pairing?

Philly- Coburn would probably have similar success to Hejda.
Carolina- Sekera
Devils- Greene
Ottawa- Methot (borderline)
Washington-No one
Islanders- MacDonald
Florida- Kulikov/Campbell
Buffalo- Erhoff/Myers

Out of all those players, I can only see MacDonald being moved.

Phoenix- Yandle
Dallas- No one
Nashville-Weber
Winnipeg- Enstrom
Calgary- Giordano
Edmonton- No one

I can't see any of those players being moved.

I also can't see a team in a playoff spot trading a good defenceman. If the Avs make a trade, it is going to be something like a 2nd+3rd round pick for a defenceman who is a slight upgrade over Benoit.

The best upgrade the Avs get will be when Hejda and EJ get rest over the Olympic break. EJ hasn't looked the same since he hurt his back. He needs that rest badly so when he comes back Roy can give him and Hejda 25 minutes a night.

Nov 20, 2013
Sweden
I read a lot about other teams scouting the avalanche this year. I havent read about the Avalanche scouting other teams though.

Anyone else read about the Avalanche scouting other teams? Link?

---

I rather see some more future investments than adding mature pieces. Still going to be a first round exit against Chicago or St Louis.

Freudian

Clearly deranged
Jul 3, 2003
Boy, Nucks fans are sure desperate to move Edler. There would probably be at least a million hits if I searched for his name on here.

Its' 100% a fan thing. He's got a new contract with a NTC and Gillis will honor that.

freeboy

Feb 27, 2012
Sunny Colorado
Staz will center our top line, adding tangs will be huge, he already made his presence felt first game back, healthy scratch Saturday to preserve him. Duchy terrible, super black hole needs defensive boot camp. He and Ror with McG or another competent two way forward to help team d. Mackinnon as third center or subbing into top two. Mitchel or cliche in firth line. On d adding a 2nd pairing guy as a temporary help to bolster Wilson Barrie etc, pick one guy. I hope we get some help out of our junior development soon.
Trading is supposed to help both teams, forget top pairing d for a trade. It is possible we trade for competent d, anyone other than our core. That is Staz for sure not going.

Avs71

Aug 12, 2008
At 5.5M for three more years after this one? Not sure dude.

Not the worst value. If he was a UFA this summer he would probably get that, but you would be on the hook for 5 more years after this season.

This is the pace he has played at over the last 5 years:

58 points (13/14)
38 points (12/13)
46 points (11/12)
56 points (10/11)
36 Points (09/10)

His offensive ability would certainly be a welcome addition.

hockeyfish

Feb 23, 2007
Seattle
i didn't realize how much of a mess Stewart is over in Loius. He got a whopping 5 1/2 minutes of playing time yesterday. Now fans over there just want anything in a trade to get him off the team.

Sounds like he is on the verge of being run out of his 2nd city.

Cypher

May 25, 2011
Edmonton
avalanche.nhl.com
I dreamt last night that the Avs acquired Matt Niskanen ... woke up disappointed.

In other news, SOB cleared waivers and is being sent down to AHL ... and Barrie has as many points as Jones...

CalderKing21

Darth Calder
Jun 19, 2011
Birmingham, AL
But we lost that trade. :shakehead

I'm with you, never understood this point of view.
People who say that severely overrate Shattenkirk.
We ended up with a major piece in EJ, we had a very very good PK center in Jay Mac and a pretty nice D man prospect down in minors.

We got rid of Stewart who was a damn headache and got nice value.
The Blues developed into a top team but we had Sacco as coach and he developed no one.

Bender

Sep 25, 2002
Agree with everything except the how good EJ would look in St. Louis. They don't need another big two-way defenceman, and EJ needed a fresh start. Shattenkirk is the perfect guy to play behind Pietrangelo. Johnson would be a bit wasted playing behind Petro. It really was a win-win deal.
--------------

Which non-playoff bound teams (currently) have defencemen that could play on the top-pairing?

Philly- Coburn would probably have similar success to Hejda.
Carolina- Sekera
Devils- Greene
Ottawa- Methot (borderline)
Washington-No one
Islanders- MacDonald
Florida- Kulikov/Campbell
Buffalo- Erhoff/Myers

Out of all those players, I can only see MacDonald being moved.

Phoenix- Yandle
Dallas- No one
Nashville-Weber
Winnipeg- Enstrom
Calgary- Giordano
Edmonton- No one

I can't see any of those players being moved.

I also can't see a team in a playoff spot trading a good defenceman. If the Avs make a trade, it is going to be something like a 2nd+3rd round pick for a defenceman who is a slight upgrade over Benoit.

The best upgrade the Avs get will be when Hejda and EJ get rest over the Olympic break. EJ hasn't looked the same since he hurt his back. He needs that rest badly so when he comes back Roy can give him and Hejda 25 minutes a night.

For the first part, I agree with what you're saying and yes, he DID need a change of scenery absolutely. I'm just trying to point out that if EJ was still on the Blues, playing with what is largely considered the best D group in the league, I think it would take some of the pressure off and he'd probably have even more points. I also wanted to point out, that if it was Shattenkirk over here with the Avs paired with Hejda instead of EJ, I don't think we have the record we currently have.

As far as the guys mentioned, I think Kulikov makes sense but Tallon is probably going to try to screw us over since, ya know, we didn't bite on their offer back at the draft.

The other guy from that list I find intriguing is Methot, who in my mind would be like bringing in another Hejda as long as he can find his confidence again. He'd be a good fit and would likely cost McGinn +. (the + being one of our better prospect or a high pick)

Unless the Avs agree to take on a guy who's set to earn a lot more money but isn't playing up to par, I guess something like this could happen:

To Ott:
McGinn,LW
Wilson,D (1 more year remaining at $2.25M)

To Col:
Methot,D
Greening,LW (new contract starts next year at $2.65M/yr for 3 yrs *yikes*)

+picks & prospects on either side to round it out

...allows Bryan Murray to save face on giving that horrible contract to Greening and they get the piece they've been after for some time (banging winger with size). [I'm only putting this in as I've heard a multitude of Sens fans being fed up and dissatisfied with Greening, I'm not really sure if he's more valuable than that]

The other guy on the list that would be a great fit here would be Giordano but I expect Burke want a monstrous return which is unlikely to happen. I mean, we can give them a "Bouwmeester" type of return, no problem :laugh: but I think he'll want to rip us off badly, especially after the Tanguay-Sarich-SoB-D.Jones debacle of a trade.

Bender

Sep 25, 2002
If EJ was so much better, then why didn't he make the US Olympic team over Shattenkirk? :sarcasm:

I think it's going to be the last time David "holy ****, did I just trade for Michael Del Zotto?" Poile gets the opportunity to head up team USA.

(I could have also went with David "I've been in the NHL for like 40 years and never won anything" Poile)

Lonewolfe2015

Rom Com Male Lead
Sponsor
Dec 2, 2007
It's not just Poile's fault, EJ was never given much consideration by the coaching staff either.

But I think Bylsma and Poile will not be brought back next year for the job. The fact Martin and Orpik were locks from day one is all I need to know about their stupidity.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad