Rumor: In-season Proposals, Rumors, Free Agents & Roster Moves (related topics) L

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

Freudian

Clearly deranged
Jul 3, 2003
Columbus have more in the way of forwards than defenders going forward, so I can't imagine them letting Murray go.

chet1926

Jan 9, 2008
Denver
I will say this, if the Avs want to MAKE the playoffs this year they will need to improve the defense somehow between now and the deadline. If they stand pat, and don't change anything about their current defense, they will not make the playoffs.

Our defense has been hemorrhaging for about a month now and is hanging by a thread at the moment. Teams have figured out how to play against everyone not named Johnson or Hejda. If you haven't noticed that the past 4 games we've given up 4 to NSH who can't score, 5 to TOR who is an average team, 2 to FLA (could have been a lot worse had Varly not bailed us in the 3rd), and 5 again tonight against the TBL. Not exactly world beaters we've been playing lately but they are scoring at will.

I'm fairly confident Roy knows this as well and I'm fairly confident this will be addressed. People need to get over trading certain players. I'd say anyone not named Duchene, Landeskog, MacKinnon, Varly, Johnson and Hejda is available. Obviously players like ROR are a long shot to get traded and if they are it would be a hell of a return. Same goes for Stastny he is a UFA, and if you are worried that he won't resign or is looking for like a 7.5M contract, you have to look for a trading partner.

Players like PAP, McGinn, Mitchell, Barrie, Elliott, prospects (except Bigras and Siemens), even picks should be available. I don't see Roy trading Tanguay.

Even if its a rental type transaction you have to explore it. Like the proposed Girardi deal. That would be a great deal for the Avs. For those thinking Girardi is slowing down, I call BS he is only 29, still plays 22+ mins a night and is a solid defensive guy. He'd instantaneously be our 2nd best defensive dman ahead of Hejda and just behind EJ. Plus if he plays well down the stretch and the Avs make the playoffs I could easily see us resigning him to an extension as we have truck loads of cap space.

Hans Landaskog

Feb 27, 2012
Denver
I will say this, if the Avs want to MAKE the playoffs this year they will need to improve the defense somehow between now and the deadline. If they stand pat, and don't change anything about their current defense, they will not make the playoffs.

Our defense has been hemorrhaging for about a month now and is hanging by a thread at the moment. Teams have figured out how to play against everyone not named Johnson or Hejda. If you haven't noticed that the past 4 games we've given up 4 to NSH who can't score, 5 to TOR who is an average team, 2 to FLA (could have been a lot worse had Varly not bailed us in the 3rd), and 5 again tonight against the TBL. Not exactly world beaters we've been playing lately but they are scoring at will.

I'm fairly confident Roy knows this as well and I'm fairly confident this will be addressed. People need to get over trading certain players. I'd say anyone not named Duchene, Landeskog, MacKinnon, Varly, Johnson and Hejda is available. Obviously players like ROR are a long shot to get traded and if they are it would be a hell of a return. Same goes for Stastny he is a UFA, and if you are worried that he won't resign or is looking for like a 7.5M contract, you have to look for a trading partner.

Players like PAP, McGinn, Mitchell, Barrie, Elliott, prospects (except Bigras and Siemens), even picks should be available. I don't see Roy trading Tanguay.

Even if its a rental type transaction you have to explore it. Like the proposed Girardi deal. That would be a great deal for the Avs. For those thinking Girardi is slowing down, I call BS he is only 29, still plays 22+ mins a night and is a solid defensive guy. He'd instantaneously be our 2nd best defensive dman ahead of Hejda and just behind EJ. Plus if he plays well down the stretch and the Avs make the playoffs I could easily see us resigning him to an extension as we have truck loads of cap space.

We're playing well over .500, I don't see how we don't make it in at this point unless we have an epic collapse. Even with the squad we have. Once in on the other-hand...

The Mars Volchenkov

Mar 31, 2002
Colorado
I think they'd still make the playoffs without making a trade. They've put themselves in a good position with 12 points between them and the 9th place team with 30 games left. It would take a pretty big meltdown to miss the playoffs at this point, and I'm usually pretty cautious about this stuff. Four teams have to leap frog the Avs for them to miss out, and they've all played more games than the Avs.

However, this isn't about just making the playoffs this year. It's about building the team for the next several years. If Stastny isn't in the long term plans, you have to trade him at the deadline, even though he's been a big part of the team this season.

hockeyfish

Feb 23, 2007
Seattle
I don't know, I don't see any obvious trades between those two teams, unlike a potential Pitt trade. Maybe they were scouting Stastny for free agency.

TheFactor

Johnny Malkin
Mar 25, 2011
Calgary
There's no point in rushing to build our defence. Sign a couple of guys in the offseason, next season if our defence still needs work trade the first round pick and prospect for a top-4 dmen. We're already exceeding expectations and we're probably making the playoffs so I'm happy.

hughdreamz

Jun 24, 2006
Michigan
There's no point in rushing to build our defence. Sign a couple of guys in the offseason, next season if our defence still needs work trade the first round pick and prospect for a top-4 dmen. We're already exceeding expectations and we're probably making the playoffs so I'm happy.

This is true. We all hate watching this poor defense and we want it fixed now, but by next season things will be looking up. Sarich will be gone, Bigras will maybe be NHL ready, Siemens could pop in when injuries strike, Barrie will be more mature. If we go out there and sign a top 4 guy in the off season or possibly trade for a top 4 well be looking not too bad.

Hejda - Johnson
TOP 4 - Barrie
Bigras/Guenin - Wilson
Siemens

tigervixxxen

Optimism=Delusional
Jul 7, 2013
Denver
burgundy-review.com
This is real life, not NHL 14. Don't forget actual human beings play on this team, not electrons on a screen. This is a TEAM. I firmly believe one big reason why they've exceeded expectations is because they play as a team. Making a trade to make ourselves feel better is not the answer. This group has earned their position and they should let it play out for the most part. I'm not saying ignore all trade requests. If some deal is presented that makes us better now AND in the long run then you have to do it. I feel like a lot of people want to see a deal made for temporary satisfaction, a band-aid, regardless it it actually helps the team or not.

The offense lost the game tonight. Score on one of those three PPs and the game is vastly different. Again, the team can't crawl out of a down 2 or more goal hole. It's easy to blame the defense, and obviously it is mediocre I'm not denying that. But throwing offensive pieces away for more mediocre, old, rentals, projects, and name has beens is not a solution. Same thing against Toronto, PP failure lost that game. Florida they should have had more than 3 goals with all the chances they had.

Last edited:

tigervixxxen

Optimism=Delusional
Jul 7, 2013
Denver
burgundy-review.com
I feel like Stastny is in the long-term plan.

I think so too. Roy even said so. I'm not sure why that doesn't matter but he actually did say it.

I watched some of the DU game tonight and they did a feature on Stastny. He said he met some of his best friends at DU and he plans to live in Denver when his carrer is over. He's staying as long as the Avs give him a competitive offer. If they know they won't do that then yeah you have to trade him but I don't think that's the case.

Freudian

Clearly deranged
Jul 3, 2003
The problem with trading Stastny (isolating it to this season) is that we don't really have anyone that can play that role besides O'Reilly. Mitchell couldn't and MacKinnon couldn't. So that opens up a gaping hole on the wing.

I think it would have to be a pretty good offer for Roy to take that kind of hit to the teams chances this season.

Re-signing Stastny and dealing with whatever has to happen when MacKinnon is a stud in two years time seems like a much better option to me. You can always find a spot for a player like Stastny. I think he might be a very good winger for the same reasons O'Reilly works on the wing. Great hockey IQ works on the wing too.

Gaks*

The problem with trading Stastny (isolating it to this season) is that we don't really have anyone that can play that role besides O'Reilly. Mitchell couldn't and MacKinnon couldn't. So that opens up a gaping hole on the wing.

I think it would have to be a pretty good offer for Roy to take that kind of hit to the teams chances this season.

Re-signing Stastny and dealing with whatever has to happen when MacKinnon is a stud in two years time seems like a much better option to me. You can always find a spot for a player like Stastny. I think he might be a very good winger for the same reasons O'Reilly works on the wing. Great hockey IQ works on the wing too.

That's what I said!

Wasn't Landy at RW in juniors? That Landy - Staz - Tangs line can go for two more years until Tango can't play at a top 6 level anymore. By then Mac will be solid enough defensively imo. Just move Lando to the other wing and play Stats at left. Those three already have great chemistry on the PP. Boom everything works out.

Just need to find a right winger for that Dutchy line. Hopefully they see that and draft one this year or look at maybe signing one.

Gaks*

Can we afford to sign vanek and one top4 dmen in the offseason? If we can that's what I'd like them to do.

For the first year or two sure. I think when others need money though things will get tight imo. I'd give Vanek money and trade for a young dman who wouldn't ask for so much money.

JoemAvs

Jul 2, 2011

Excuse me?
Panic much?
And that means quite a lot coming from me ;).

PHX is 12 points behind. If we go .500, we finish with 100 points.
Both teams have 31 games left.
It is incredibly hard to make that up over those 31 games.
They would have to go 21 -10 - 1 or better to tie us.
And three other teams would also have to surpass us as well.
We are certainly not a lock for the playoffs.
But unless we totally collapse and PHX or Dallas go on an insane hot streak, it seems very likely.

We certainly do not "have to" make a trade.
It is actually the opposite. We should stay put (only exception is Stastny if he wants to leave or if we can get something good for Mitchell).
This team clearly is not a contending team. That is Ok. We just picked #1 overall. Making the playoffs after that is an historic feat in itself.
No reason to get greedy and expect to win the cup this year.

First and foremost we have to be smart with our team and our assets right now. Reacting to one bad loss after a 6 - 3 - 1 streak (why is anyone panicking again??) over the last 10 is exactly NOT that.

That is not smart.

freeboy

Feb 27, 2012
Sunny Colorado
It looks more and more certain we make the playoffs... Winning at .500 or better.
That's a good goal. Trading in a panic is always bad, and we are looking long term. Sign Sraz, shop pap and see what's available. No rush though. Pap looks lost on PP, and scoring Pp goals is just as important as or team d...
So we don't really have a vote, what do you think Roy and sakic, two long term players, are thinking about Staz? Yep, they sign him and build around him. It would be shocking if he left. I'm not saying it's right or wrong. If I was the gm probably would be looking for a multi player with two competent d men coming in and picks and some o guts leaving. I'd think do meting like pap bords Mitchell and Eliot and 2nd for some forward and two competent d men.

AvsRobin

Size doesn't matter!
Aug 10, 2010
Stockholm
It doesn't take much for someone to press the panic-button on here :)

Can't wait to see what happens when we eventually lose four games in a row or something.

El_Loco_Avs

Jul 6, 2003
The Netherlands
We're fine for now, but we should be on the lookout for improvements to our D. Either in the offseason or by trade. But we definitely do NOT *need* to make a trade right now. And we need to make sure we don't sell off any assets cheaply because of that.

The Pwnerer

Jan 27, 2006
I wouldn't mind picking up Nikitin as a depth pickup, dude has a howitzer of a shot and his defense can't be as bad as Holden or Wilson. Also he can replace Beniot on the power play who is pretty much useless out there.

Last edited:

klozge

Avs
Jul 19, 2009
Espelkamp, Germany

I'd like to see Stastny centering our 3rd line next year and I don't see a problem. If MacKinnon isn't ready to center the 2nd line on a regular basis let Stastny do it again. It would be great to still have him in case one of Duchene or MacKinnon gets injured, he adds scoring depth and is very good in a shutdown role. I think the team would be significantly worse without him.

DanglesFromDuchene

Sep 8, 2013
The Avs need another good defenseman (maybe 2), and another good 3rd or 4th line character role player. Avs have enough offensive talented scoring forwards that giving up one or two of them to get a good defenseman and 3rd/4th line solid checker/depth player will be better for the team.

If you're worried about losing someone like Stastny, or Tanguay, or PAP, think about how often many teams in the NHL who lose a star player ACTUALLY got better in terms of record/performance.

When Stamkos went out, everyone was like, "TB is out of the playoffs". Well, they actually got better and their record improved since he's been out lol. When Jonathan Quick went out with injury, same thing ("LA is done this year"), but they actually got better without Quick (improved stats, climbed the standings). The Penguins have shown it many times that when either Crosby or Malkin went down with injury, the team actually continued to play well, or even better. It's a strange anomaly how this happens (maybe because everyone else steps up or plays harder to fill the void?), but it happens. So don't feel like losing a good player like Stastny or PAP or veteran like Tanguay is somehow going to be a bad thing and ruin our chemistry. It won't. It'll actually make us better.

Let's get a good defenseman to help our d core, and open up a bit of space on our forwards roster.

I'd say almost everybody here will agree to the bolded. That's about it. Obviously, we need help on defense. Obviously our forwards are our best trading chips for a defenseman. I'm sure Joe and Patrick are actively looking for good fits for the team. Not many people are enthusiastic about making a move just for the sake of making a move. Our team is in a very important stage rebuild wise, and the defensemen that we add have to make sense.

I have to ask, why do we need to "open up a bit of space on our forwards roster". Not really sure why having too many good forwards is a problem.

Hennessy

Ye Jacobites, by name
Dec 20, 2006
On my keister
The Avs are playing well above expectations and are all but a lock for the playoffs without being a contender. There's no need to make big changes at this point and rush things to an imperfect conclusion. At the deadline we might see some minor deals go down (barring something crazy), but it is important to remember that this team is just coming out of their rebuild. Getting hasty with things isn't the way to go. Let some of what's been building up develop, complement those with trades or signings that have the long-view in mind.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad