WC: IIHF refs

Status
Not open for further replies.

Erikfromfin

May 18, 2013
One day the Ice hockey world will build a statue for Kalervo Kummola the man who fought to bring NHL referees to international hockey. His been fighting this issue for ages and probabply finally getting support.

obv

Jan 25, 2014
Imaginationland
The refs were so bad in Minsk that they made more mistakes in a 2 week tournament than NHL refs make in a 82+game season.
Considering im used to watching European leagues where the refs are generally worse, yet the WC's took the price.

xxxx

Sep 20, 2012
I'm talking in general. In any sport you get people who cries at the refs, as every citizen moans about taxes in any country and so on...

Man, the referees were just bad. It was horrible. Do you think Jagr was crying when he gave that interview about that if he played his career most important game against Canada, he would much much rather had 4 NA referees then those "amateurs" - these are his words.

Last edited:

xxxx

Sep 20, 2012
No, I mean that no matter what, people will keep on moaning about refs (and taxes)

You are right. But this argument should be used for your HF links about how people on HF complain about the refs in the NHL. Here, all the people complain rightfully about the IIHF refs. Btw, Malkin should've got 5+GM at the start of the gold-medal game, I heard many hockey experts saying that. And not from Finland. These all were brutal mistakes + was the problem how unbalanced the referring was. It's unbelievable to see this at the world championships.

Alessandro Seren Rosso

Jun 21, 2004
Europe
thehockeywriters.com
You are right. But this argument should be used for your HF links about how people on HF complain about the refs in the NHL. Here, all the people complain rightfully about the IIHF refs. Btw, Malkin should've got 5+GM at the start of the gold-medal game, I heard many hockey experts saying that. And not from Finland. These all were brutal mistakes + was the problem how unbalanced the referring was. It's unbelievable to see this at the world championships.

Ok, but I never thought that all this drama about refs is something good. This year Finns are crying against the refs, but hey, three years ago they won... Refs were different by then? I don't think so. Refs are "bad" in any league, if they are good, people will always moan, especially the ones who lose. So, dear Finns, instead of crying me a river about refs: 1) next time try harder and 2) you got a good team, enjoy it

obv

Jan 25, 2014
Imaginationland
Ok, but I never thought that all this drama about refs is something good. This year Finns are crying against the refs, but hey, three years ago they won... Refs were different by then? I don't think so. Refs are "bad" in any league, if they are good, people will always moan, especially the ones who lose. So, dear Finns, instead of crying me a river about refs: 1) next time try harder and 2) you got a good team, enjoy it

You just dont seem to get it.
I don't care that Finland didn't win gold but i care that the refs pretty much handed it to the Russians which anyone who actually follow's hockey and understand the rules could see, maybe your a casual hockey fan.:help:

Oh and trying to justify ****** reffing by using the argument "but three years ago they won so they can't be that bad" is just ignorant, they were bad back then but not nearly as bad as this year. I really hope IIHF will start using NHL refs who are actually real professional refs imo.

Plural

Mar 10, 2011
I'm talking in general. In any sport you get people who cries at the refs, as every citizen moans about taxes in any country and so on...

So, nobody is allowed to complain about anything, ever? Cause some of the complaints come from biased source. Nice thinking.

Kharkov

Jun 28, 2013
Refs were different by then? I don't think so.
As far as I can rememer IIHF referees have been critized before. Also if you look this thread, many messages which criticize IIHF refs are written before final so there wasn't any losers then.

I dont know if this is some cultural difference between us, but I think that if something that can be fixed is handled poorly, then you can (and should) criticize it so it can be handled better in future. It ain't like "If we all act that there is no problem, nobody sees problem, nobody says anything about problem, then there really aint problem".

Would it really be so hard to get good professional referees? After all we are talking about event which calls itself ice hockey world championships..

Jussi

Feb 28, 2002
Mojo Dojo Casa House
As far as I can rememer IIHF referees have been critized before. Also if you look this thread, many messages which criticize IIHF refs are written before final so there wasn't any losers then.

I dont know if this is some cultural difference between us, but I think that if something that can be fixed is handled poorly, then you can (and should) criticize it so it can be handled better in future. It ain't like "If we all act that there is no problem, nobody sees problem, nobody says anything about problem, then there really aint problem".

Would it really be so hard to get good professional referees? After all we are talking about event which calls itself ice hockey world championships..

Not forgetting that this was the second IIHF tournament final this season that had sub-par refereeing.

smi

Jun 14, 2011
Not mine and everyone sees it like they want

If that video is supposed to prove something, I think it does a horrible job at it. One missed call (Malkin), one hit that didn't even happen in the game and is therefore completely irrelevant, one embellishment that the referee bought (Immonen's penalty), and one correct (arguable, of course) hooking call on Kontiola.

Doesn't really scream "total fiasco" to me.

The game clock incident was sketchy, but the referees weren't the ones responsible for it. That would be the scorekeeper and the timekeeper.

Roomtemperature

Apr 8, 2008
New Jersey
If that video is supposed to prove something, I think it does a horrible job at it. One missed call (Malkin), one hit that didn't even happen in the game and is therefore completely irrelevant, one embellishment that the referee bought (Immonen's penalty), and one correct (arguable, of course) hooking call on Kontiola.

The game clock incident was sketchy, but the referees weren't the ones responsible for it. That would be the scorekeeper and the timekeeper.

What about the "secret" communication devices?

GreatStateofHockey

Oct 2, 2011

The biggest problem in that video by far , is the fact that the Russian National Team coach was talking to the assistant through ear buds.

smi

Jun 14, 2011
I agree that was ridiculous and the IIHF made themselves look foolish by not properly carrying out the punishment that was given to Znaroks.

Jokerit Wasp

Mar 8, 2004
Any chance the IIHF will investigate those refs? Or is the IIHF in on it too?

Most obviously fixed hockey game I have ever seen.

FiLe

Mr. Know-It-Nothing
Oct 9, 2009
Any chance the IIHF will investigate those refs? Or is the IIHF in on it too?
Kalervo Kummola, the Chairman of FIHA and VP of IIHF said that they'll definitely do something about it.

I don't think they'll be looking into that game or any "fixes" in particular, but how better quality refs could be provided for future tournaments.

Alessandro Seren Rosso

Jun 21, 2004
Europe
thehockeywriters.com

Of course refs should be professional and with a proper "reward-punishment" system. But on the other hand I don't get how the IIHF (or any other body) should change anything because of a few fans' barks.
Now: IIHF refs are bad? They're not great, but 1) they're bad for everyone, 2) they've been constantly bad more or less and 3) some sore losing fans do not have (and should not have) any power over the IIHF (or any other body).
I'm fine if Kalervo thinks the refs suck, but I also think that if the IIHF should change anything about refs, it's not because Kalervo barks after he lost a game, but because Kalervo and Kalervo's of other nation-members think so...

Plural

Mar 10, 2011
How is it only few finnish sore losers complaining here? The reffing was bad for the whole tournament and it was critiziced for the whole tournament.

Russian bias is more evident in your posts than Finnish bias in others.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad