WC: IIHF refs

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mombius

Feb 22, 2014
Kalervo Kummola is angry too :D

(Google translate)
Finnish Ice Hockey Association chairman Kalervo Kummola is ripe World Olympics .
Finland had to play in the finals in Russia apart from the odd line against the judge . Kummola , Finland was forced to tuomarisekoilun offering.

- Damn ! The system is not changed at all . From year to year the same thing ! Those kinds of guys brought some Canadian amateur series and elsewhere whistle . The Yanks want to bring some of the University of the boys , when professionals were available , Kummola stormed IS a phone after the final.

- This was not the only game in the tournament , in which the judges made ​​a mess of the game . Players are professionals in these games , but the judges did not !

Kummola has already been taken by the World Cup after years of jerky judge the work of the International Ice Hockey across the board.

- I told you during the tournament ( IIHF ) government that we need to take this problem seriously . My suggestion is that we take the NHL to the judges and the best KHL judges . Change to keep the current situation to be , it is clear, the rumbles in the IIHF Vice- President of the podium fitting Kummola .

http://www.iltasanomat.fi/mmkiekko/art-1288693381332.html

behemolari

Dec 1, 2011
Same crap every year. I don't believe in some conspiracy theory or actual bias, it's just that (almost) home crowd pressure makes them just completely lose their ****. And then this "compensation" for previous ghost calls, it's just absurd as an concept.

no need for conspirancies, you don't whistle against russia at russia or you lose job. simple as that.

Rekin

Feb 23, 2014
Warszawa
[mod] The better team won, good so, now get over it and move on.

Last edited by a moderator:

FiLe

Mr. Know-It-Nothing
Oct 9, 2009
http://www.iltasanomat.fi/mmkiekko/art-1288693381332.html
Here's a man-made translation:

The Chairman of Finnish Ice Hockey Association, Kalervo Kummola is fuming about the Worlds' current standard of refereeing.

In the gold medal game, Finland had to play not only against Russia, but also the inconsistent refereeing. Kummola says that Finland was the victim of a refereeing farce.

- Goddammit! No change in the system at all. Same crap every year. They bring in guys from Canadian beer leagues and elsewhere. Americans bring in University greenhorns when there are true-and-tested professionals available, Kummola told IS by phone after the GMG.

- This was not the only game in this tournament that went completely hay thanks to refereeing. The players are full-on professionals, the refs are not!

Kummola has already talked among the IIHF board members about the farcical refereeing that seems constant year after year.

- I told them, the board, as the tournament was underway that we must take this issue seriously. My suggestion is that we take any NHL ref we can, and the best KHL referees. Something needs to change, that much is clear, roared Mr. Kummola, who is also the Vice President of the IIHF.

meph

Jan 17, 2012
As was already said, NHL referees draw complaints all the time, but then we see IIHF refs and become much more appreciative for a period of time. Not every NHL ref is better than every IIHF ref by any stretch, but the best NHL refs have already proven themselves at the highest possible level (Stanley Cup, Olympics) and should be given the top games. If the IIHF gets its act together in terms of selecting the best refs (since many European fans claim that the best refs from their domestic leagues are not being selected for international competition) then maybe it won't be an issue.
couldn't agree more ... these guys are professionals, they would not undermine all of their hard work (and they had to prove themselves time after time) to get at NHL and Olympics level

Do you really think they would "throw it away", just so that Canada would win another Gold medal? (Which isn't really all that special to them, given that they won last 4 of 5 BOB tournaments)

and for the record, I am European, it just does not make logical sense to me

xxxx

Sep 20, 2012
And ooops, Canada won all of them. But no the referees were alright, correct?

Hmmmmmmm. So we won those tournaments because of referees?

I have no problem with Sweden lost the gold medal game.

But still there shouldn't been Canadian refs in a game with Canada. It's ridiculous.

So Canadian refs did right? In your CANADIAN eyes? What a surprise.:laugh:

Ask other people. Who, besides you, also think that the refs did not a good job?

Last edited:

Past Considerations

May 13, 2007
Finland
- Goddammit! No change in the system at all. Same crap every year. They bring in guys from Canadian beer leagues and elsewhere. Americans bring in University greenhorns when there are true-and-tested professionals available, Kummola told IS by phone after the GMG.
You maybe took some liberties with that part, he said "amateur leagues", most likely meaning junior leagues, or mistakenly (typical for Kummola) AHL too.

Tonight's game's other ref was KAVAL Keith (USA), who has (according to quick googling) AHL, ECHL and OHL experience and the other linesman CARLSON Chris (CAN) is from NHL.

Last edited:

FiLe

Mr. Know-It-Nothing
Oct 9, 2009
You maybe took some liberties with that part, he said "amateur leagues", most likely meaning junior leagues, or mistakenly (typical for Kummola) AHL too.
I think Kale was exaggerating in the first place, the frustrated tone certainly suggests as much. I was simply trying to convey same embellishment in the translation.

Siberian

Dec 4, 2003
Saint Pierre
Sorry guys, I know Olli Jokinen complained on TSN about refereeing, but could you tell me what calls finns do not agree with? I watched the game and replays in slo-mo and most calls were really good.

Classicnamesup

MVP Backhand Slapper
Sep 13, 2013
Guru Meditation
I have no problem with Sweden lost the gold medal game.

But still there shouldn't been Canadian refs in a game with Canada. It's ridiculous.

So Canadian refs did right? In your CANADIAN eyes? What a surprise.:laugh:

Few ppl already responded to you but I will just laugh at how upset you are about losing to canada in a well reffed game, as everybody who was watching seemed to think. 2010 was even better reffed iirc.

Jussi

Feb 28, 2002
Mojo Dojo Casa House
Sorry guys, I know Olli Jokinen complained on TSN about refereeing, but could you tell me what calls finns do not agree with? I watched the game and replays in slo-mo and most calls were really good.

Since you're Russian with proven blind bias you're opinion doesn't exactly carry weight. :laugh: There were numerous soft calls, non-calls, make-up calls etc. It was a bad performnce by the refs. They screwed the pooch right by not giving Malkin a highsticking penalty (the rule is unforgiving, a player is responsible for his stick).

mahagga73

Dec 29, 2012
Downs,Il
1.They are not unbiased. And this is not debatable. Even if it's not for their country, but for the NHL players/stars/rules.

2.There is a bunch of "laughable" rules in the NHL. Don't press your NHL as the only right thing on us.

Lol, your kidding right? The local youth teams have better refs than this tournament.

Jussi

Feb 28, 2002
Mojo Dojo Casa House
Since the IIHF will be adopting the hybrid icing as well, I think all leagues would benefit if IIHF and NHL refs had some conference this summer to discuss and change opinions/methods on how that and other rules are called in various leagues and if there was some way of finding a common ground. As much as they are criticized and often with reason, it is for the benefit of all parties involved to make their jobs easier and to not make the job even more undesirable as it's become. E.g. in Finland it's becoming a case of picking who's available rather than picking the best.

FiLe

Mr. Know-It-Nothing
Oct 9, 2009
E.g. in Finland it's becoming a case of picking who's available rather than picking the best.
I've always wondered what's the deal behind some of those picks. Japa Levonen is generally considered the best active Finnish ref there is. He's the staple to win Lüga's best ref year after year, yet the standard pick for any internationals appears to be Jyri Rönn.

Luckily, he's not the worst there is though. It'd be a riot for sure if they let Tom Laaksonen whistle in these tournaments.

Finnsane

Oct 21, 2012
I've always wondered what's the deal behind some of those picks. Japa Levonen is generally considered the best active Finnish ref there is. He's the staple to win Lüga's best ref year after year, yet the standard pick for any internationals appears to be Jyri Rönn.

Luckily, he's not the worst there is though. It'd be a riot for sure if they let Tom Laaksonen whistle in these tournaments.

Rönn is better than Levonen and Rönn is a KHL ref.

Jussi

Feb 28, 2002
Mojo Dojo Casa House

Rönn is better than Levonen and Rönn is a KHL ref.

Rönn was always second to Levonen while in Finland. The reason why Levonen doesn't get more international gigs has been explained already. He doesn't suck up to Arto I. Järvelä, the head of officiating in Finland, and just this past season publicly criticized him. He might get some junior tournaments here and there for rotational purposes but not Worlds or Olympics. He has officiated at U-18 WJC and the 2006 and 2010 Worlds but for a ref that's won the Golden Whistle (voted by the players) for 12 times in a row, one would expect him to get more gigs.

1Gold Standard

Jun 13, 2012
here's what Jagr had to say re: IIHF refs. taken from a Russian website

Those suckers. They should all together follow me, every single last one.. that must be their final game. The officiating in Minsk was the worst I've ever seen at any time. And I'm talking about all games, nor just the final game against Sweden. When I return to the NHL and after each and every match I will thank the referees. They are really good at what they do. If I were ever to play in the most important game of my career, for example against Canada or the U.S., I'd prefer the entire officiating crew be N. American. With all due respect to the officials here in Minsk, they are armatures.

The legendary Jagr.

Past Considerations

May 13, 2007
Finland
More Kummola comments:

"This was the worst ref-influenced tournament ever"

"I know that all decisions [refs & officiating] are not unanimous. Officiating needs to change"

About Znarok's presence at the game:

"IIHF's officials should have had policed this. This needs to be looked at but for now there's not much that can be done"

In the article it is also said that Konstantin Komissarov (yes, Russian, but if he has been in this position for years, then that just a coincidence) is responsible for the referee picks for the tournament and for selecting them for the individual games too. According to this page he is "Officiating Manager".

Kharkov

Jun 28, 2013
Ok so if the IIHF refs suck and the NHL ones are the best evaaa, how do you explain this: http://hfboards.mandatory.com/showthread.php?t=1677181 and this: http://hfboards.mandatory.com/showthread.php?t=1679035 and this: http://hfboards.mandatory.com/showthread.php?t=1674221 etc etc etc...
Of course in NHL there is also wrong decisions made by refs. Nobody is claiming that NHL refs are perfect... They are still better than IIHF refs.

Losers always cry, no matter the league/sport/level
Childish. I for example have no problem saying that in olympics, NHL and even FEL has better refs than IIHF, even though my favorite teams didn't win.

JackSlater

Apr 27, 2010
Ok so if the IIHF refs suck and the NHL ones are the best evaaa, how do you explain this: http://hfboards.mandatory.com/showthread.php?t=1677181 and this: http://hfboards.mandatory.com/showthread.php?t=1679035 and this: http://hfboards.mandatory.com/showthread.php?t=1674221 etc etc etc...
Losers always cry, no matter the league/sport/level

Congratulations on proving that NHL referees are by no means perfect. That was challenging I'm sure. Unfortunately, those imprefect referees are still routinely better than what the IIHF offers up regularly.

Asmodian

May 14, 2012
I found that a US ref officiating Russia vs. USA game was a travesty regardless whether he was right or wrong in the controversial call. I watched the final game and the reffing was fine, no objections were raised by Swiss commentators and if the Swiss are not neutral I don't know who is.

Having said this I don't see why ref decisions can not be done via replay and why not have refs watching over the camera view instead of taking up space on ice and having limited vision.

Sanderson

Sep 10, 2002
Hamburg, Germany
Having said this I don't see why ref decisions can not be done via replay and why not have refs watching over the camera view instead of taking up space on ice and having limited vision.

Apart from the obvious historic reasons, tv screens do not automatically give you a better view. You would need a whole lot more referees to watch all the screens needed to view the whole ice. Not to mention way more cameras to get all the angles. In addition to that, refs who are on the ice can talk to the players, which helps a lot, and isn't possible when they aren't on the ice.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad