WC: IIHF refs

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

Classicnamesup

MVP Backhand Slapper
Sep 13, 2013
Guru Meditation
I didn't say that. But how will Canadian referees be unbiased? The only reason there were no problem in the olympic final is because it wasn't close. In a close game how will they be unbiased? They can call in favour for the home team or against them to look unbiased.

NA fans are very naive if they think NA referees in a final in NA is fair. :shakehead

Do people actually think like this? Lol

JackSlater

Apr 27, 2010
I didn't say that. But how will Canadian referees be unbiased? The only reason there were no problem in the olympic final is because it wasn't close. In a close game how will they be unbiased? They can call in favour for the home team or against them to look unbiased.

NA fans are very naive if they think NA referees in a final in NA is fair. :shakehead

Go find evidence from the first half of the game when Canada was up by only one goal. Better yet, go to the 2010 gold medal game (Canadian refs) since that was a close one. Maybe try the 2002 game (Canadian refs) that was pretty close until the end. Surely all three test cases for your theory don't prove you completely wrong...

Flambergius

Oct 16, 2003
Finland
Visit site
Yea. Congrats for Russia. But refs were terrible. It makes taking loss way easier though.

Not for me, the first period had really good play from both sides and wouldn't have minded loosing after that kind of game. Now I'm just most angry.

About the refs tonight: it must feel awful to be that bad at your job.:shakehead

Anyways, congrats to Russia, very good game.

Past Considerations

May 13, 2007
Finland
Same crap every year. I don't believe in some conspiracy theory or actual bias, it's just that (almost) home crowd pressure makes them just completely lose their ****. And then this "compensation" for previous ghost calls, it's just absurd as an concept.

Hockeycan

Sep 1, 2012
Refs in world championship

I just feel sorry for the players working and training so hard... They would deserve professional referees. The final was won by better team, no question, but also here the refs where totally out of the game. PS. Why don't they have names anymore on their jerseys ?

Lollipop

Jul 23, 2013
Do people actually think like this? Lol

Yes some people do think like this.

But I guess swedish referees in a World cup final in Sweden between Sweden and Canada would be fine for you North Americans?

BTW, why do NA fans think NHL referees are the best in the world? It's strange becsuse I hear much complaining about them during the NHL seasons.

Classicnamesup

MVP Backhand Slapper
Sep 13, 2013
Guru Meditation

But I guess swedish referees in a World cup final in Sweden between Sweden and Canada would be fine for you North Americans?

BTW, why do NA fans think NHL referees are the best in the world? It's strange becsuse I hear much complaining about them during the NHL seasons.

I would be totally fine with a Swedish ref if he did his job properly. Fortunately, every year the Canadian refs did their jobs right on the money so everything was fine. You just want an excuse cause your team lost and you can't accept that you lost to a better team.

BTW the reason is because when we watch international hockey and see refs who aren't in the NHL, we realize how much better they actually are.

Lollipop

Jul 23, 2013
Go find evidence from the first half of the game when Canada was up by only one goal. Better yet, go to the 2010 gold medal game (Canadian refs) since that was a close one. Maybe try the 2002 game (Canadian refs) that was pretty close until the end. Surely all three test cases for your theory don't prove you completely wrong...

And ooops, Canada won all of them. But no the referees were alright, correct?

Past Considerations

May 13, 2007
Finland
All of our friends who were so terrified about Canadians reffing the Olympic finals have hopefully been proud of the impartial refs in the WC finals. Long live IIHF refs.
Don't try to spin it like that way, these are separate issues. The olympic one is at least to me only about transparency, but of course you're going to say that will never even hypothetically be an issue just like everyone seemed to say in that giant thread that was here during the olympics.

Lollipop

Jul 23, 2013
I would be totally fine with a Swedish ref if he did his job properly. Fortunately, every year the Canadian refs did their jobs right on the money so everything was fine. You just want an excuse cause your team lost and you can't accept that you lost to a better team.

BTW the reason is because when we watch international hockey and see refs who aren't in the NHL, we realize how much better they actually are.

I have no problem with Sweden lost the gold medal game.

But still there shouldn't been Canadian refs in a game with Canada. It's ridiculous.

So Canadian refs did right? In your CANADIAN eyes? What a surprise.:laugh:

Jaan

May 10, 2013
Terrible performance today Russia can thank these guys for their victory. Couple of really dubious calls. On both sides of course

Kharkov

Jun 28, 2013
So how hard it would be to get good refs to WHC? Nationality dont matter. I prefer to see non-biased russian ref doing his job for example in Russia - Finland game than for example biased/incompetent Swiss ref in Russia - Finland game.

wereq

May 6, 2012
this is how it looks when they let AHL ref to call final game :P

KAVAL Keith AHL/USA
PATAFIE Steve AHL/USA

they officiated together games FRA-SVK and DEn-SWE , well that was some impressive reffing ...

xxxx

Sep 20, 2012
Apart from Belarusians and Russians, who's saying that?

People from all european countries. Are this question for real? On top of that, if a person says european referees should be at World Cup, it means he thinks they are good. Why would he want them otherwise? That would be silly, wouldn't be? Those people think it's not good to have NHL referees only at World Cup. In my opinion it is good, because of NHL style of play, NHL ice, NHL rules and mainly, they are simply better. If you don't want them though and want IIHF referees rather, it must mean that you think they are better than the NHL ones or you trust them more (which is nonsense, but be it... how many games were judged by NHL referees at 2010 olympics, 2014 olympics? Did you, or anybody else, find something that would make them less credible than IIHF referees ? Or worse? Did they look like they were making bad, unbalanced calls?

This final is a joke, Finns have no chance with the garbage calls against them . Malkin should have gotten 5 at the start of the game that was missed. The first call against Finland while they were on the PP in the second period is either, utter incompetence or the fix is in !?

Agree.

The Russians may win 4 Worlds in a row :nod: still they haven't won anything big in modern era :)

Why? What's fair with having all Canadian referees in olympic gold medal game between Canada-Sweden? It's ridiculous. Also all world cup/Canada cup finals are played in NA. NA referees in NA, how is that fair to the European teams? No matter if most European players play in NHL. Olympics and especially World cup will be fixed for NA to win.

This a quote from other thread, this is exactly what Jagr said after this tournament:
Oh wait. It's from this thread, but you are probably ignoring it. The players' opinion doesn't matter, huh?

as per JJ68 interview

http://www.hokej.cz/cz/ms-2014/jaro...sti-ale-hokej-je-jiny-nez-ho-hraju-ja-rika/#1

below is my translation of a single question from the interview

Are you giving up? Are you done? (in national team)
--
Of course! And the referees should go with me. Guys, this is the worst I've ever seen. Not in the match against Sweden, but overall during the whole championship. When I come back to NHL, I will congratulate referees after every match, tell them how great they are. If I played the most important match of my career against USA or CAN, I would like it to be refereed by 4 officials from NA. With all due respect, the referees at this WC are amateurs.

Also, if a tournament is played on NHL ice, you say it's not fair to european teams. And if a tournament is played on european ice, is it fair to Canada and USA? It goes both ways. But the important thing is this. You're saying 'no matter if most european players play the NHL'. Wrong. It matters. At the olympics, Team Sweden had only 2 players from Europe. How excatly would that not fair for the 23 other players, playing normally in the NHL, to play on NHL ice? Yeah, makes sense.

You don't see the difference. The NHL referees are simply way better than the european ones. I would be ok if 4 Americans from the NHL would judge the olympic final between Canada and USA. See again, what Jagr said above.

Last edited:

Mombius

Feb 22, 2014
Skoda cup is dead to me until they get real referees and not these amateurs.

Namejs

Dec 24, 2011
Oslo
People from all european countries. Are this question for real? On top of that, if a person says european referees should be at World Cup, it means he thinks they are good. Why would he want them otherwise?
1) I have no idea what this has to do with the World cup
2) you don't seem to understand that these aren't the best European refs.

Huokaus

Oct 29, 2010
You don't see the difference. The NHL referees are simply way better than the european ones. I would be ok if 4 Americans from the NHL would judge the olympic final between Canada and USA. See again, what Jagr said above.

There are some very good refs in Europe, they're just not chosen to officiate in national games for some reason.

xxxx

Sep 20, 2012
1) I have no idea what this has to do with the World cup
2) you don't seem to understand that these aren't the best European refs.

1) Both World Cup and Olympics.

2) I wish. Where are they hiding then? Isn't this the World Championship? And if there are better refs, in what leagues are they? Are they on a vacation now? I haven't seen those best European refs yet.

There are some very good refs in Europe, they're just not chosen to officiate in national games for some reason.

Again, where are they officiating then? How you can be so sure they are so great if they're not chosen for WHC? Do you see them in the KHL, or Elitserien ?

Sorry, but to me, if the IIHF has never chosen those 'great referees' for WHC's, I doubt they would be chosen for olympics or World Cup. Or am I wrong? Were there different European referees in Sochi? If not, it's very possible that for the World Cup or Olympics, the IIHF would choose from this 'squad'. In that case, I don't want them anywher near such an important tournament.

Last edited:

JackSlater

Apr 27, 2010
And ooops, Canada won all of them. But no the referees were alright, correct?

So you are claiming that the referees helped Canada in those games? Despite no complaints from American fans in 2002 or 2010? Or even Swedes after the 2014 game? Considering the near universal acceptance that the referees were nearly flawless in those games (the only three in the Olympic era that fit as test cases) the onus is on you to disprove it. The Canadian team winning, as the more talented team in each instance, does not prove a thing about the referees. Whine all that you like, but there is no evidence of national bias causing issues in any major men's tournament recently, while we see issues with incompetent (IIHF) refs regularly.

Is the Swedish ref proven to be among the best in the world? Is he consistent? Does he have a history of not being influenced by home team crowds? If so, then it is fine. Ideally the NHL would simply hire some referees from outside of North America, and hopefully they would at some point be at a level necessary to properly officiate games at the highest level.

As was already said, NHL referees draw complaints all the time, but then we see IIHF refs and become much more appreciative for a period of time. Not every NHL ref is better than every IIHF ref by any stretch, but the best NHL refs have already proven themselves at the highest possible level (Stanley Cup, Olympics) and should be given the top games. If the IIHF gets its act together in terms of selecting the best refs (since many European fans claim that the best refs from their domestic leagues are not being selected for international competition) then maybe it won't be an issue.

satchmo

Mar 21, 2012
It is hard to be objective as a Finn, but I really feel that if the officiating would have been fair, Finland would have had a chance. No doubt Russia is and was better, but we were Finland was in the game.

Tissotti

Apr 30, 2011
Helsinki
It's not Russia's fault refs sucked, and I don't believe a sec about these conspiracy theories, that I guess most are throwing half jokingly. Hopefully.

It does still leave a bad taste about the game when both of the teams really were gunning for it and played great, entertaining hockey.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad