Player Discussion Igor Shesterkin

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Chimpradamus

Feb 16, 2006
Northern Sweden
If this hasn't been posted yet, here you go. An analysis of Shestyerkin by a goalie coach:

As long as he can keep his core strength durable enough for his style of play, he will be a star player.

Reactions: romba

AIexisLafreniereNYR

Registered Drug User
Jan 25, 2009
New York City
We need a back up that’s capable of starting. Like when Raanta/Talbot we’re Rangers. I think Shesty will be fine throughout the years but I have a feeling one day he’ll tear his groin up.

Reactions: LokiDog

SnowblindNYR

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 16, 2011
Brooklyn, NY
If this hasn't been posted yet, here you go. An analysis of Shestyerkin by a goalie coach:

As long as he can keep his core strength durable enough for his style of play, he will be a star player.

He reminds me of Patrick Roy with easy he makes some really difficult saves look.

Chimpradamus

Feb 16, 2006
Northern Sweden
He's already a star player. His ceiling is Hall of Famer.
It's a defintion of words. Yes, he is playing at that level, he's playing extremely impressive goaltending, but can he do it consistently, season after season? Injuries are becoming a concern soon. I mean, he can't be blamed for the car accident and such, but he has been sidelined for other things. He needs to focus even more on strengthening his body strength and agility, his extreme lateral style is very demanding on the groin, thighs and core. I really hope it pays off, because he looks like the next Hank, maybe even Hank 2.0.

Hank was a cat in net, but Shestyerkin is also a cat with better depth play. Very solid in his butterfly style, probably even better than Hank's. The lack of leaking goals on Shesty is extremely impressive. Both play(ed) a mixed style where they don't commit to the butterfly unless they have to and are quick to stand up again if the moment arises.

Lundqvist started to adapt towards this style when all goalie trainers and goalies were in agreement, players are too damn accurate and fast with their shots that you must adapt in depth as a goalie. No one could play Hank's/ Allaire's "camp on the line" style anymore, the shooters are too good. That's why Hank was quite wild in his last years and made alot of unorthodox saves. I think he had alot of fun with it, it was like he played before entering the NHL but now with a ton of experience. Sometimes I wonder how it would've looked if Hank would've played a more aggressive depth style his entire career. Then I remember how shitty alot of the teams he played for were... and then I remember the lateral advantage of the amount of net you cover playing deep to expect your D to fail to cover anything, especially lateral passes to a shooter with a London bus between him and the defense. Yeah... enough about that.

Considering Shestyerkin, I'd argue you need at least 3 full seasons go get a good estimate of a goalie at a bare minimum in terms of a career estimate. Everything points towards Shestyerkin being the new king and so I hope, he's awesome, but he has to show the quantity of quality of it as well.

As well as you have patience with newly built engines not hitting at all cylinders at once, you look at how long an immediately synchronized, strong engine can go on all cylinders at high performance rate before breaking down - and how often - and how long it takes for repairs or tuning to be back on the road again, if we can take an allegory.

Shesty surely is a very powerful engine on max rev. I just hope he can handle the mileage. I will make a sacrifice to the elfs that Shesty's injury is very minor. Yes, the elfs, not the elves. There's a clear distinction.

Last edited:

romba

Aug 2, 2005
New Jersey
Lundqvist started to adapt towards this style when all goalie trainers and goalies were in agreement, players are too damn accurate and fast with their shots that you must adapt in depth as a goalie. No one could play Hank's/ Allaire's "camp on the line" style anymore, the shooters are too good. That's why Hank was quite wild in his last years and made alot of unorthodox saves. I think he had alot of fun with it, it was like he played before entering the NHL but now with a ton of experience. Sometimes I wonder how it would've looked if Hank would've played a more aggressive depth style his entire career. Then I remember how shitty alot of the teams he played for were... and then I remember the lateral advantage of the amount of net you cover playing deep to expect your D to fail to cover anything, especially lateral passes to a shooter with a London bus between him and the defense. Yeah... enough about that.
When Hank first came over he said he needed to learn to play deeper due to the quick East-West bang bang passing in the NHL. I think his reflexes were quick enough to play that style of deep in his net and still handle most snipe attempts. Sure he'd get beat over his shoulder now and then and we'd rip him for it, but it wasn't often enough to really be a problem and cost games. As he got older he slowed down, and that in conjunction with each team now having a plethora of guys who could really rip it with accuracy, he had to adapt once again and I think he struggled with it.

Shesty is way more aggressive and out of his net and therefore harder to beat with a snipe because he's so athletic and quick from side to side that he can afford to challenge shooters 4 feet outside his crease. But with that athleticism comes an injury risk as we've seen. So far nothing crazy for him, but he's supposedly already spent the off season working on preventing it which I'm sure is frustrating to him and the trainers.

Chimpradamus

Feb 16, 2006
Northern Sweden
When Hank first came over he said he needed to learn to play deeper due to the quick East-West bang bang passing in the NHL. I think his reflexes were quick enough to play that style of deep in his net and still handle most snipe attempts. Sure he'd get beat over his shoulder now and then and we'd rip him for it, but it wasn't often enough to really be a problem and cost games. As he got older he slowed down, and that in conjunction with each team now having a plethora of guys who could really rip it with accuracy, he had to adapt once again and I think he struggled with it.

Shesty is way more aggressive and out of his net and therefore harder to beat with a snipe because he's so athletic and quick from side to side that he can afford to challenge shooters 4 feet outside his crease. But with that athleticism comes an injury risk as we've seen. So far nothing crazy for him, but he's supposedly already spent the off season working on preventing it which I'm sure is frustrating to him and the trainers.
That's the "if" scenario I really miss. What if Allaire wasn't the NYR goalie coach and they held that family of tradition that held Giguere in Anaheim as their trademark of strategy, branching both brothers to different teams? NYR copied Anaheim. So did Toronto, not with such great results. I wonder why? A great part of me thinks a more aggressive goalie coach would've been the best for Lundqvist, as that was his natural game from his progression. A more active goalie with his cat like lateral movement. Sure, the team in front of him was mostly a circus, but he still had room to be more active reading every play like Shestyerkin does today.

I don't hold against the Allaire coaches they actually created a great bunch of #1 goalies still playing today. Talbot, Raanta, etc. They know what they were doing. But what if he was a more challenging goalie with his extreme cat like abilities, like he grew up to play? I think Lundqvist would've been even better playing an aggressive style - his style, simply because he rarely used his full lateral ability that he had back in his net.

Like Shestyerkin. Lundqvist made tough saves look easy, so does Shestyerkin. Then the question becomes; would Lundqvist have had more frequent injuries as well if he played as aggressively as Shestyerkin?

duhmetreE

Blessed Bigly
Sponsor
Jan 18, 2012
Has anybody heard anything about if he may play on Sunday?
He was suppose to skate today.

He's technically available tomorrow, no? There was no coverage because there was no practice. I doubt he plays tomorrow but I'd expect him against Nashville.

Reactions: PuckLuck3043

duhmetreE

Blessed Bigly
Sponsor
Jan 18, 2012
12/10 BUF - Georgiev
12/12 NSH - Shesty
12/14 @COL - Shesty
12/15 @AZ- Georgiev
12/17 VGK - Shesty
12/22 MTL - Shesty
12/27 DET - Shesty
12/29 @FLA - Shesty
12/31 @TB - Shesty

We have a back to back with TB and EDM to start the new year. Probably give Georgiev TB since we saw what happened last time with Edmonton and Georgie.

Reactions: HockeyBasedNYC

romba

Aug 2, 2005
New Jersey
He was suppose to skate today.

He's technically available tomorrow, no? There was no coverage because there was no practice. I doubt he plays tomorrow but I'd expect him against Nashville.
Your words to gods ears amen, I’ll be at the game Sunday!

Shesterkybomb

Dec 30, 2016
I think he's the best in the league, but these injuries every year have me hoping we're working with Garand to ensure a succesion plan if needed.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad