Player Discussion Igor Shesterkin

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Fitzy

Very Stable Genius
Jan 29, 2009
Lundqvist had a couple OK rosters in front of him in 2012-2015 but none with the kind of high end skill that Shesty is gonna have in his window.

Nash, Gaborik, Stepan, Zuccarello, McDonagh were all very good players but

Fox>>McDonagh
Panarin?>>> Nash and Gaborik

We had seasons where we went deep in the playoffs (2011-2015) where our power play was bottom 6 in the league.

The high end talent is looking a lot better. Previous competitive NYR teams leaned very heavily on Lundqvist and the team's structural play and balance. Shesty's team have a bigger chance of being a real powerhouse in front of him.

aufheben

#Norris4Fox
Jan 31, 2013
New Jersey
upload_2021-12-13_20-36-33.png

kovazub94

Enigmatic
Aug 5, 2010
There's a writeup in the Russian Sports.ru on Shesterkin's breakout season this year. Most of the content (career progression, stats and mental makeup) is what we know here already but there's an interesting bit that points to the technique work Shesterkin put in this offseason with former SKA goalie guru Pashit Davidov.

Шестеркин – лучший русский вратарь сезона в НХЛ (при живом Василевском). Он всегда был хорош, но летом-2021 сделал очень важный рывок - овечкин и седины - Блоги - Sports.ru

Reactions: Cag29 and romba

jcbeze

Dec 27, 2005
Chances he starts vs Vegas?

I have Georgiev, with Shesterkin in my IR spot. I can drop Georgie for the spot start of Kinkaid tonight if Georgiev is no longer useful

jay from jersey

Jan 30, 2008
He is the main reason you can’t write this team off as only winning 1 rd in playoffs....
Norris D
High end offensive/secondary talent
Panarin/Zibby/ Kreids( career year) / Strome
Kakko/LaF could get hot
Barron could stabilize 3rd line
Solid 4th line
Vet playoff leadership Goodrow/Kreids/Reaves
Schneider could stabilize 3rd D pair

they really have a lot of things in the + column compared to the negatives....

If chytil can look good on the wing, Barron as 3C, and Schneider on 3rd pair it’s that much better

like I said, 1-2 slick adds from Drury, and this team could make a run, despite what the numbers say.

Last edited:
Reactions: McSauer and Cag29

Sockosensei

May 13, 2007
Japan
Shesty thru 69 games.png
Shesty thru 69 games.png
Career leaders in Save%
Filtered for games >= 69

Shesty leads by 5 pts.

Now stay healthy, my friend, and do exactly what you've been doing.

Last edited:

Fitzy

Very Stable Genius
Jan 29, 2009
So if he plays 38 of the last 44 games he can get to 60 games played. Seems unlikely.

That said, playing 60 games in a full season isn't a requirement for Vezina. The notoriously low stamina Thomas won it twice under 60 games, once even finishing 5th in Hart voting with 57 games played. Vasilevski won it in 2019 with only 53(!!!) games played. Rinne with 59 games in 2018.

The days of most goalies playing 65+ games a year seem to be over. You see almost no one at 70 any more.

I don't think the injuries will preclude Shesty from a shot at the trophy.

Synergy27

F-A-C-G-C-E
Apr 27, 2004
Washington, D.C.
His body control and composure in the net are just insane. You can just tell that, for example, that breakaway against him last night had no chance of going in. My heart rate didn’t increase at all because you can just feel the save coming.

I still have my doubts about his durability for obvious reasons but there is absolutely no questioning his ability. He’s unreal.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad