Player Discussion Igor Shesterkin

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

ecemleafs

Jan 4, 2009
New York
So if he plays 38 of the last 44 games he can get to 60 games played. Seems unlikely.

That said, playing 60 games in a full season isn't a requirement for Vezina. The notoriously low stamina Thomas won it twice under 60 games, once even finishing 5th in Hart voting with 57 games played. Vasilevski won it in 2019 with only 53(!!!) games played. Rinne with 59 games in 2018.

The days of most goalies playing 65+ games a year seem to be over. You see almost no one at 70 any more.

I don't think the injuries will preclude Shesty from a shot at the trophy.
covid also will effect games played for goalies this year. id think a significant amount of goalies will have been in covid protocol by the end of this season.

Amazing Kreiderman

Apr 11, 2011
View attachment 498406 View attachment 498406
Career leaders in Save%
Filtered for games >= 69

Shesty leads by 5 pts.

Now stay healthy, my friend, and do exactly what you've been doing.

2nd all time after 69 games.

Save percentage after 69 career NHL games:
1. Ken Dryden: .934
2. Igor Shestyorkin: .927
-. Tony Esposito: .927
4. Tuukka Rask: .926
-. Cory Schneider: .926

NYR94

Mar 31, 2005
Long Island, NY
Does this mean that having Shesterkin is the game-impact equivalent of having an extra 25 goals scored by the team?
It's an extra 25 goals against saved. Meaning, if you look at the quality of shots that the Rangers give up when Shesterkin is in net, the model shows that a goalie would have been expected to give up 25 goals more than what Shesterkin has so far. In other words he's been fantastic.

sbjnyc

Jun 28, 2011
New York
Igor for hart?

Bold predictions for the second half of the NHL season: Trades, playoff races, awards, more

_end_rule.png
i

New York Rangers goalie Igor Shesterkin will win the Hart Trophy

You read that right -- I didn't say Vezina Trophy, I said Hart -- as in the top individual trophy any NHL player can win at the NHL awards ... goalie, goal scorer or otherwise.
Sure, Alex Ovechkin is putting up wild numbers, Nazem Kadri is having a remarkable season in Colorado and the Oilers have two players scoring at a furious pace. There's also the fact that a goaltender doesn't often win the Hart; it has happened only eight times in league history, the last time being Carey Pricein 2015.
To me, it's all about the definition of the award: This award is given "to the player adjudged to be the most valuable to his team." This season, Shesterkin embodies that definition. He has been the backbone of the Rangers' meteoric rise. Before the season started, the conversation surrounding the Rangers was about battling for a playoff spot -- who could have dreamed of battling for the league lead in points? Shesterkin has been incredibly clutch when the team has needed it, and perhaps the biggest reason this team is finding itself at the top of the tables. Individually, he's first in the league in save percentage, at .936, and second in goals-against average, at 2.08
If the Rangers make the playoffs and Shesterkin continues his level of play, I can see him hoisting some hardware after April. -- Arda Ocal, NHL host

ThirdEye

Nov 28, 2006
New York
Seems almost farfetched, but at the same time it's hard to argue against 20-4-2 and a .937 SV%. This is all playing for a team that has one of if not the youngest D in the league

Question now is if he can stay healthy and/or keep it up

nyr2k2

Can't Beat Him
Jul 30, 2005
Maryland
In the expansion era, it's been Price, Theodore, and Hasek twice. All of them played at least 64 games. We have 39 games left and he would need to play in 38 to get to 64 played. I'm not saying he needs to hit 64 to even have a chance, but I think the biggest thing that would stand in his way is that he just doesn't seem to play enough. Like if he finishes with 56 or 58 GP, I don't think that would be enough for people to vote for him, unless he ended up with a sub-2.00 GAA and >.940 SV% or something crazy.

LokiDog

Get pucks deep. Get pucks to the net. And, uh…
Sep 13, 2018
Dallas
Igor is the best goalie in the league
DE3BFEF7-9F38-4BFD-89CE-C4B4B8CD50A4.gif

I mean… obviously people want players to prove themselves over large samples and we’d love to see the consistency Hank had, but at the same time, we Rangers fans are always told to humble ourselves about our guys. The famous Fox is a #3 thread from the beginning of his Norris season stands out.

duhmetreE

Blessed Bigly
Sponsor
Jan 18, 2012
add that he's the 2nd best puck mover from the back as well... surprised he doesn't have assists... but then I remember how we are in transition

Reactions: Captain Lindy

NYR94

Mar 31, 2005
Long Island, NY
add that he's the 2nd best puck mover from the back as well... surprised he doesn't have assists... but then I remember how we are in transition
I heard part of an interview the other day, don't know who the person was who they were interviewing because I only caught the last 30 seconds but he said a big difference between Lundqvist and Shesterkin is how much better Igor is at moving the puck.

Reactions: Captain Lindy

Captain Lindy

Formerly known as Kreider Beast
Apr 1, 2006
Virginia
My favorite part of his game is his puck handling. He's like having another defenseman back there. I remember with Hank we had to cover our eyes when he went in to get the puck. OMG....With Igor now it's like a luxury.

Reactions: Unpredictable1

Captain Lindy

Formerly known as Kreider Beast
Apr 1, 2006
Virginia
I heard part of an interview the other day, don't know who the person was who they were interviewing because I only caught the last 30 seconds but he said a big difference between Lundqvist and Shesterkin is how much better Igor is at moving the puck.
Hank vs Igor puckhandling isn't even close.

Reactions: Unpredictable1

Chimpradamus

Feb 16, 2006
Northern Sweden
Soo...there is no doubt that Shest is getting the start Friday right?? We play the night before in Columbus, he better not play that one and they play Geo on Friday.

The next Vezina goalie should be in net for Lundqvist's night..
He should honestly start both games. Otherwise I would start Georgiev vs Columbus and Shesty vs Minnesota.

Amazing Kreiderman

Apr 11, 2011
Soo...there is no doubt that Shest is getting the start Friday right?? We play the night before in Columbus, he better not play that one and they play Geo on Friday.

The next Vezina goalie should be in net for Lundqvist's night..

Shestyorkin idolized Lundqvist growing up. It's the main reason he wore no 30. If he isn't playing on Friday, he is going to be pissed.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad