Player Discussion Igor Shesterkin

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Unpredictable1

Jan 27, 2008
Alberta
Oh, you mean Hank's pouting and losing it after getting scored on?

Give Igor two years behind those defenses, he'll start losing his mind too.

Stick handling part is unquestionably true though.

Igor is already one of, if not the best in the game right now at this. Totally agree.

Igor has been great but let's calm down the growing conversation in here that Hank was a mental case. He was intense and passionate and expected no less of a commitment from his teammates. I need Igor to show me what he does in elimination games etc before I'm letting him knock Hank off the seat.

That said, everything I see thus far is leaning towards Igor being a step above Henrik as Henrik was a step above Richter. Just need to see for a bit longer.

Reactions: 2Leetch_94

SnowblindNYR

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 16, 2011
Brooklyn, NY
Igor is already one of, if not the best in the game right now at this. Totally agree.

Igor has been great but let's calm down the growing conversation in here that Hank was a mental case. He was intense and passionate and expected no less of a commitment from his teammates. I need Igor to show me what he does in elimination games etc before I'm letting him knock Hank off the seat.

That said, everything I see thus far is leaning towards Igor being a step above Henrik as Henrik was a step above Richter. Just need to see for a bit longer.

I feel like Igor is not as good as Hank at getting shutouts (but he also is playing in a higher scoring league) but he allows fewer stinkers and has fewer stinker games. I was a legit shocked when I saw that first shootout attempt go in on him. Goals like that almost never go in him.

nyr2k2

Can't Beat Him
Jul 30, 2005
Maryland
Lundqvist was really good, but he was also consistently really good for a really long time. I think Shesterkin at his best is probably better than Lundqvist at his best, but we have to see how long and how consistent Shesterkin can be. It's easy to forget that he has only played around 80 games, which is less than 10% of Hank's career.

Unpredictable1

Jan 27, 2008
Alberta
Lundqvist was really good, but he was also consistently really good for a really long time. I think Shesterkin at his best is probably better than Lundqvist at his best, but we have to see how long and how consistent Shesterkin can be. It's easy to forget that he has only played around 80 games, which is less than 10% of Hank's career.

Right on the money.

Reactions: nyr2k2 and LokiDog

Peltz

Oct 4, 2019
He also has no playoff experience yet. I imagine that he'll still be great in the playoffs, but Hank was one of the best of all time in game 7s and elimination games.

Unpredictable1

Jan 27, 2008
Alberta
That stretch pass to Panarin right after making an A+ save in OT was utter ridiculousness

I literally jumped out of my seat towards the TV when I saw him air mail that sauce, before I even knew who was waiting for it. Woulda been on highlight reels for a while if Panarin converted.

McSauer

Defense Wins Games
Feb 18, 2004
Jersey City, NJ
Why, why did we only sign him for 4 years?

I understand negotiations go both ways, and perhaps his party pushed for just those years; I also understand his limited games started in the NHL up until this season. But he has put up absolutely mythical numbers at every single level, and right out of the gate showed he could play at this level (staying on the ice, however, a different story).

But he is looking at a MASSIVE raise in three years when his contract is up.

I was thinking it would go at least five to match Panarin's contract--and would've preferred six.

duhmetreE

Blessed Bigly
Sponsor
Jan 18, 2012
Once again.... our goalie is our best player.

Obviously we have a lot more talent this go around... hopefully enough for some cups

HockeyBasedNYC

Feeling it
Aug 2, 2005
Here

We also need to see Igor in the playoffs, specifically in game 7s where it really counts. Thats where Hank shined. I dont know his stats off-hand but they were pretty ridiculous, especially at home.

I will say Igor is much better puck handler, that goes without saying. I dont want to shit on Hank because I loved him. But Ive always pointed out that I was hoping he would try to improve in that area. I think it would've helped him win more games and get more shutouts. Thats how bad he was at it.

Igor seems to not let up the bad goal nearly as much and doesnt flail around and get as rattled as Hank did. Hank was a fierce competitor in his own way, just as Igor is locked in mentally in his own way.

We also have short memories. Hank was letting up a lot of softies towards the end. In his first several years he was rock solid and wasn't susceptible to bad goals as often. He even changed his style a bit to combat all of the deflection goals against which was seemingly the only way you could beat him at times. But there were a few softies that got him in some big spots.

Igor is a fantastic goalie and I agree he may be better. But I need to see the longevity and especially need to see enough post season results to put him over the top.

Last edited:
Reactions: 2Leetch_94

Peltz

Oct 4, 2019
We also need to see Igor in the playoffs, specifically in game 7s where it really counts. Thats where Hank shined. I dont know his stats off-hand but they were pretty ridiculous, especially at home.

I will say Igor is much better puck handler, that goes without saying. I dont want to shit on Hank because I loved him. But Ive always pointed out that I was hoping he would try to improve in that area. I think it would've helped him win more games and get more shutouts. Thats how bad he was at it.

Igor seems to not let up the bad goal nearly as much and doesnt flail around and get as rattled as Hank did. Hank was a fierce competitor in his own way, just as Igor is locked in mentally in his own way.

We also have short memories. Hank was letting up a lot of softies towards the end. In his first several years he was rock solid and wasn't susceptible to bad goals as often. He even changed his style a bit to combat all of the deflection goals against which was seemingly the only way you could beat him at times. But there were a few softies that got him in some big spots.

Igor is a fantastic goalie and I agree he may be better. But I need to see the longevity and especially need to see enough post season results to put him over the top.
I think Igor handles the puck better (obviously), has a better glove, and is more positionally sound.

Hank makes more highlight real saves and “battled” more. He also played deeper in his crease, especially early on in his career. He was an intense player who just willed himself to that elite level and relied on his speed.

Reactions: HockeyBasedNYC

tlk

hARry kane comeS homE
Jan 7, 2020
Yekaterinburg
:arr:
c3e430f6729ebe1cd84882c1f5a60ea8.jpg

Row I Goon

Nov 14, 2018
We’ve got the goalie, we’re getting the pieces together for a solid few D pairings…..but for Igor to get a Cup we’re gonna need depth in those forward lines.

Reactions: McRanger92

Peltz

Oct 4, 2019
Would've been cool if he scored a goal on the empty net last night. He was so close.

Even though it resulted in an icing, I like that Shesty scoring a goal is a threat and teams need to be worried about it. I say keep shooting in that situation.

Reactions: HockeyBasedNYC

EdJovanovski

#RempeForCalder
Apr 26, 2016
The Rempire State
Would've been cool if he scored a goal on the empty net last night. He was so close.

Even though it resulted in an icing, I like that Shesty scoring a goal is a threat and teams need to be worried about it. I say keep shooting in that situation.
He will get one at the minimum in his career, not only is he one of the best puck handling goalies of all time but he's also really ballsy & aggressive with it. I remember he shot for it twice in like, his first NHL game IIRC? I've never seen a goalie make as crazy of passes as he does either. In practises he even sometimes practises one timers LOL. I was so excited thinking it was going in but it'll feel more special when he does it at the garden anyway.

rangersfansince08

Oct 8, 2019
He will get one at the minimum in his career, not only is he one of the best puck handling goalies of all time but he's also really ballsy & aggressive with it. I remember he shot for it twice in like, his first NHL game IIRC? I've never seen a goalie make as crazy of passes as he does either. In practises he even sometimes practises one timers LOL. I was so excited thinking it was going in but it'll feel more special when he does it at the garden anyway.

I love his swagger. So happy we have this stud of a player on this team.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad