Player Discussion Igor Shesterkin

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

GAGLine

Sep 17, 2007
They need a good 3rd line then everything else will fall into place. The hard part of building this roster is over.

It would really help if Laf and Kakko would develop into something close to what we expected them to be. They don't even need to be stars, just quality top 6 players. That will push others down and balance everything out.

Reactions: Governor

McRanger92

Jun 7, 2017
It would really help if Laf and Kakko would develop into something close to what we expected them to be. They don't even need to be stars, just quality top 6 players. That will push others down and balance everything out.

I think it will come in time. They are both so damn young, patience is key. I think Lafreniere's internship with Kreider & Mika is going to work wonders for him. Kakko's injury sucks but explains his uneven play this year.

Come playoffs, the young guys may surprise people. Instinct takes over in those games, and when Laf/Kakko dont overthink things they look great.

HockeyBasedNYC

Feeling it
Aug 2, 2005
Here
Would've been cool if he scored a goal on the empty net last night. He was so close.

Even though it resulted in an icing, I like that Shesty scoring a goal is a threat and teams need to be worried about it. I say keep shooting in that situation.

What I love is Gallant and Kelly's reaction on the bench and post game comments.

If it were Torts back there he might not have been so supportive of him given it was a one goal game. They were laughing. They know hell score one day and they want to be there to see it.

This is why Gallant is such a great players coach. He understands and supports these guys because he knows they are skilled and need to play loose and challenge themselves.

Theres a line you cross if you hurt the team consistently, but you cant play timid. He understands that. You dont want to castrate or publicly disparage a guy who's clearly in the lead for the Vezina and is carrying this team.

Hell - If he wants to shoot for the net 5 on 5 with someone tending the other goal right now, you let him.

Peltz

Oct 4, 2019
What I love is Gallant and Kelly's reaction on the bench and post game comments.

If it were Torts back there he might not have been so supportive of him given it was a one goal game. They were laughing. They know hell score one day and they want to be there to see it.

This is why Gallant is such a great players coach. He understands and supports these guys because he knows they are skilled and need to play loose and challenge themselves.

Theres a line you cross if you hurt the team consistently, but you cant play timid. He understands that. You dont want to castrate or publicly disparage a guy who's clearly in the lead for the Vezina and is carrying this team.

Hell - If he wants to shoot for the net 5 on 5 with someone tending the other goal right now, you let him.
Agreed completely.

Fitzy

Very Stable Genius
Jan 29, 2009
The not hitting 60 games thing could be devastating to a Hart vote. Remember when Brian Elliot had a better statline than Henrik in 2012 but he only played 38 games so Hank got the vezina? Games played matters for all trophies.

Reactions: nyr2k2

Crease

Chief Justice of the HFNYR Court
Jul 12, 2004
The not hitting 60 games thing could be devastating to a Hart vote. Remember when Brian Elliot had a better statline than Henrik in 2012 but he only played 38 games so Hank got the vezina? Games played matters for all trophies.

I think Igor can get the Vezina with 50+ starts but less than 60 will keep him out of the Hart discussion.

Fitzy

Very Stable Genius
Jan 29, 2009
I think Igor can get the Vezina with 50+ starts but less than 60 will keep him out of the Hart discussion.

Agreed, that's where I'm at too.

You really don't see many 65+ game starters any more either, so I doubt you see a goalie winning the Hart this decade.

Lgrsean

Jan 23, 2022
Agreed, that's where I'm at too.

You really don't see many 65+ game starters any more either, so I doubt you see a goalie winning the Hart this decade.

There's only 4 more back to backs on the schedule in the last 32 games. I wonder how many more games Georgiev gets if injuries aren't an issue. I'm hoping Igor gets at least 24 more starts this year, but I'm sure they'll want him fresh for the playoffs.

aufheben

#Norris4Fox
Jan 31, 2013
New Jersey
Dude he’s saving almost an entire GSAx/60. :laugh:

upload_2022-2-24_20-16-51.png

Reactions: Mac n Gs

Jersey Girl

Sep 28, 2008
Jim ‘Boomer’ Gordon on NHL Network radio the other day:

‘How does one franchise basically go from Richter to Lundqvist to Shesterkin?’ Probably 40+ years of generational goaltending when most franchises can’t find one goalie at this level in 40 years.’

Zynbanejad

To Blais or Not To Blais
Jul 7, 2010

‘How does one franchise basically go from Richter to Lundqvist to Shesterkin?’ Probably 40+ years of generational goaltending when most franchises can’t find one goalie at this level in 40 years.’

and with just one cup to show for it :’)

Shesty31

Jul 10, 2011
Connecticut
This might be the most dominant season by any player in this organization's history. He's going to be a Hart Finalist and most likely the runaway Vezina winner.
Advanced metrics may say otherwise but for me it’s still Jagr in 05-06. Bias probably but he was such a beast that year. Regardless we are beyond spoiled going for the king to shesty.

Reactions: Chaels Arms

GP035

Dec 1, 2005

Benoit Allaire started a year or two after Richter retired, no?

Row I Goon

Nov 14, 2018
Tonight is a game he needs to build on for sure. It can't be an outlier.

And only one Cup in that span, too - sad.

frozenrubber

Sponsor
Nov 27, 2005
Brooklyn

Lundqvist to Shesterkin was an actual transition, but Richter to Lundqvist didn't happen. There were over 3 years of Blackburn, Dunham and Weekes.

Reactions: SnowblindNYR

redwhiteandblue

Apr 1, 2013
Every game I watch I'm still reeling that I grew up on Richy, spent my young adult life love affair with Hank, and now I'm hoping I have a kid who I can watch Igor with soon. How the world works eh?

Lgrsean

Jan 23, 2022
Igor has had just 1 month this season where he has lost more than 1 game in regulation, November, when he had 2 losses. If he continues this trend, the Rangers will be Stanley Cup Champions.

Fitzy

Very Stable Genius
Jan 29, 2009
Igor has had just 1 month this season where he has lost more than 1 game in regulation, November, when he had 2 losses. If he continues this trend, the Rangers will be Stanley Cup Champions.

Hasek took a truly average Buffalo team which barely squeaked into the playoffs thanks to loser points to the finals in 99.

So sure, maybe.

romba

Aug 2, 2005
New Jersey
Hasek took a truly average Buffalo team which barely squeaked into the playoffs thanks to loser points to the finals in 99.

So sure, maybe.
Compared to peers we’re a better club than those Sabres and Shesterkin is no Haskek caliber goalie. So it’s a wash. Like you said, maybe.

Lgrsean

Jan 23, 2022

So sure, maybe.

Well, the playoffs start in the beginning of May, so even if he has his 2 worst months of the year and loses 3 games in May and then 3 games in June, that should still guarantee us a cup. Only problem would be if 4 of the losses are at the end of May, beginning of June during 1 playoff series.

Obviously this is all just nonsense, but what a season this guy is having.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad