Speculation: If Marchand leaves Boston where is the best fit?

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

M2Beezy

Love ya Grubster
Sponsor
May 25, 2014
Reading thru this is good to see a lot of Canucks fans getting on board with the idea of getting over 2011 and bringing this star to Vancity. Also nice to see other fans recognizing we would be one of the best fits :)

Ivan13

Not posting anymore
May 3, 2011
Zagreb, Croatia
Not a fan of his antics, but he's a really good player. Avs will have a lot of money next offseason and depending on how the season goes he could be the top priority if he comes on the market. Would be a nice compliment to either of Duchene and MacKinnon.

57special

Posting the right way since 2012.
Sep 5, 2012
MN
What a difference a year makes. Last year at this time some B's fans were looking to dump him for spare change.

Marchand is sure to disappoint if a team expects him to repeat last year's performance.

wintersej

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 26, 2011
North Andover, MA
What a difference a year makes. Last year at this time some B's fans were looking to dump him for spare change.

Marchand is sure to disappoint if a team expects him to repeat last year's performance.

That career high shooting percentage. Him scoring so many goals was obviously just a fluke and luck.

Oh wait, his shooting percentage was below his career average. He just played more minutes and looked for his shot more.

nmbr_24

Jun 8, 2003
Visit site

That isn't true. I am sure there was a person or two who wanted to get rid of him after all there is someone who wants to get rid of Bergeron but I am pretty sure nobody was looking to dump him for spare change.

BBB24

Aug 12, 2010
Saskatchewan

Lol what a load of crap, what a difference a year makes is how fans of every single team in the league who a short time ago despised him, now are more than willing to accept him on their team! Yup what a difference a year makes, lol.

OCPenguin

Jan 22, 2013
If the Pens manage to trade Fleury for nothing, lose Sheary to expansion (that's actually not that unrealistic, especially if he's playing on Crosby's wing for the year), don't re-sign Bonino and sign Marchand to the same contract that Ladd, Okposo and Eriksson got, the Pens would have:

Marchand ($6)-Crosby ($8.7)-Hornqvist ($4.25)
Hagelin ($4)-Malkin ($9.5)-Kessel ($6.8)
Rust ($650k)-Fehr ($2)-Sprong ($925k)
Wilson ($625k)-Sundqvist ($800k)-Kuhnhackl ($625k)
XXXXXX-XXXXXX

Dumoulin ($3.75)-Letang ($7.25)
Maatta ($4)-XXXXXX
Cole ($2.1)-Schultz ($1.6)
Pouliot ($1)

Murray ($4)-XXXXXXX

That lineup costs $68.575 million, which would leave around $6.5 million to get a 2nd pair RD (which I actually think Pouliot might become, I think he breaks out this year), a backup goalie and 2 extra forwards. So they could probably make Marchand work. If Pouliot breaks out, he'll be looking at closer to $3 million I'd guess, but even then, they can get a backup goalie and 3 extra players for $3.5 million. If they can get someone like Guentzel to be able to take the 3C spot, that would help even more.

DP won't break out. He might break out in hives. So, he goes from non factor to making closer to 3 million in one year? Stop. They won't have both DP and Schultz. One will be traded.

Dumo at least will make 4 million. I wouldn't be stunned if its 4.5 million for him.

Sheary won't go int he expansion draft. We would lose Horny before him.

Murray could go for 4-4.5 per.

That is a weak third line.

As far as Marchand, I know a lot of Penguin fans that would have a rough time rooting for that punk. Me included.

NYR Viper

Sep 9, 2007
Jacksonville, FL
Jeff Gorton, the Rangers GM had a hand in draft Marchand. The Rangers will be a different looking team by the end of this season. Nash and Zuccarello may be gone. My guess is Staal may be gone. Girardi may be bought out. The Rangers will have a lot of money freed up most likely and a pretty young team. I would think he would fit well on the wing with Stepan or Zibanejad.

LetsGoBLUES91

Jan 8, 2013
St. Louis. My God, St. Louis.

He's exactly what they need. I think a Shatty/Marchand deal happens. I hope.

indigobuffalo

Portage and Main
Feb 10, 2011
Winnipeg MB
Now to be clear I don't think for 1 second he's leaving Boston but if he does where do you think he fits best?

I don't know if they have the cap space to sign him but I think he'd fit like a glove no Calgaru top line

Would think Toronto would be a good fit. Babcock felt he was good enough to place with Crosby.

Era of Sanity

Certified Poster
Nov 12, 2010
I am gonna say at the deadline this year, Boston is out of the playoffs.
Boston will trade Marchand at the deadline for young pieces to continue their rebuild/retool. Oilers could assist them with a package of

Yakupov + griffin reinhart +2017 third +rights to bogdan yakimov

really low ball offer. Yakupov is terrible, Reinhart has shown very little, a third and Yakimov is a contract dump who is in Russia and isn't good enough for the NHL anyway.

There are reports of talks between the Bruins and Marchand where he has played his entire career and he knows he has a pretty good gig playing next to 37, I doubt he hits the market.

FrolikFan67

Apr 29, 2012
hes not going anywhere.

don't they have like 5.8mil in cap space right now? even if he gets 6per thats only a 1.5 raise on his current contract, chara's cap hit drops by 2.9 next season, guys like hayes and belesky are moveable if necessary.

why would they not resign him?

Glove Malfunction

Ference is my binky
Jan 1, 2009
Pleasantly warm, AZ
If the Pens manage to trade Fleury for nothing, lose Sheary to expansion (that's actually not that unrealistic, especially if he's playing on Crosby's wing for the year), don't re-sign Bonino and sign Marchand to the same contract that Ladd, Okposo and Eriksson got, the Pens would have:

Marchand ($6)-Crosby ($8.7)-Hornqvist ($4.25)
Hagelin ($4)-Malkin ($9.5)-Kessel ($6.8)
Rust ($650k)-Fehr ($2)-Sprong ($925k)
Wilson ($625k)-Sundqvist ($800k)-Kuhnhackl ($625k)
XXXXXX-XXXXXX

Dumoulin ($3.75)-Letang ($7.25)
Maatta ($4)-XXXXXX
Cole ($2.1)-Schultz ($1.6)
Pouliot ($1)

Murray ($4)-XXXXXXX

That lineup costs $68.575 million, which would leave around $6.5 million to get a 2nd pair RD (which I actually think Pouliot might become, I think he breaks out this year), a backup goalie and 2 extra forwards. So they could probably make Marchand work. If Pouliot breaks out, he'll be looking at closer to $3 million I'd guess, but even then, they can get a backup goalie and 3 extra players for $3.5 million. If they can get someone like Guentzel to be able to take the 3C spot, that would help even more.

You're not getting Marchand for 6M. No one is. If (and it's a HUGE if) he leaves Boston, it's because he can get more than the 7-7.25 M he's expected to get here. To lure him away you're starting at 7.5M and probably paying even more. Anything less and he's staying here in Boston.

BatVader

"nothing is true; everything is permitted"
May 16, 2015
Imperial Gotham
Marchand and Gallagher on the same line would be fun to watch and hell to play against.

Would be like watching a smaller version of the Hanson brothers from Slapshot.
Just need to add the right C and it would be the most antagonistic line in the league.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad