I think Pacific is indeed the toughest division in the league

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Golden_Jet

Sep 21, 2005
Interesting, the easts record vs the Atlantic division with those metrics are:

11 with a winning record
5 with a losing record

Second worst division in hockey?
Confusing, the Atlantic is in the east.
Do you mean Metro vs Atlantic

1specter

Sep 27, 2016
Playing a team that made it to the Finals isn't actually that rare in a 16 team bracket. 8/16 teams end up playing a team that makes the Finals.
Cool, doesn't negate the point of what I was saying. Also, Florida finished off the team with the best record in NHL history while Tampa also swept the President's Trophy winning Panthers squad.

Dont know if any other division has as strong of a top three as VGK/LAK/EDM. The bottom half of Pacific sucks though.

To the cool Oilers fans: I’m not talking about you…

…but why does the main board regularly give me the impression that a good portion of that fanbase is absolutely insufferable?Am I just picking the wrong threads?

Dude, your team‘s record right now is mediocre. Ripping off eight or so has just gotten you to 50/50, you’re still not even close to where you wanted to be at this stage of the season. If you think this team is just gonna keep winning, guess again. The absolute hybris to put yourself in the same category as LAK or VGK and just ignoring the team that leads you by 12pts!

Apart from 2006 and the WCF 2022, in which your team got swept btw, the Oilers have been irrelevant in the playoffs for decades.

Awe inspiring arrogance. Humble yourself.

klefbombs shoulder

Jul 21, 2023
Cool, doesn't negate the point of what I was saying. Also, Florida finished off the team with the best record in NHL history while Tampa also swept the President's Trophy winning Panthers squad.
It actually really does. There is nothing that special about losing to a team that goes to the finals. 1/2 of playoff teams do it every year. There are key differences in how EDM and TOR have done in the playoffs the last two years. 1) Edmonton has faced harder competition on average. 2) Edmonton has won 3 rounds to Toronto's 1.

• Haha
Reactions: Leafidelity

5 14 6 1

We are the 11.5%
Sep 15, 2010
Alberta
To me its easily the best division. Vegas, LA, and Van all started like a house on fire, and Edmonton is the hottest team in the league over the last few weeks.

Old Boys Club

Anita Max Wynn
Nov 3, 2013

…but why does the main board regularly give me the impression that a good portion of that fanbase is absolutely insufferable?Am I just picking the wrong threads?

Dude, your team‘s record right now is mediocre. Ripping off eight or so has just gotten you to 50/50, you’re still not even close to where you wanted to be at this stage of the season. If you think this team is just gonna keep winning, guess again. The absolute hybris to put yourself in the same category as LAK or VGK and just ignoring the team that leads you by 12pts!

Apart from 2006 and the WCF 2022, in which your team got swept btw, the Oilers have been irrelevant in the playoffs for decades.

Oilers have a large and present fanbase on these boards, comparable to the Leafs and maybe Canucks. With a large fanbase comes a more perceivable set of crazies that have weird opinions and love to post them. View Oiler threads and you will definitely see their posts, as you would with the Leaf crazies (I'm sure you might be able to guess who I'm referring to) or the Canuck crazies (again, you can probably guess).

Three On Zero

HF Designated Parking Instructor
Sponsor
Oct 9, 2012
To me its easily the best division. Vegas, LA, and Van all started like a house on fire, and Edmonton is the hottest team in the league over the last few weeks.
Wouldn't Toronto and NYI be the hottest teams in the league over the last bit? They've each only failed to get at minimum 1 point in the last 10 games as opposed to Edmonton who's failed to get a point in 2 games

Small market, big voices :laugh:

1specter

Sep 27, 2016
It actually really does. There is nothing that special about losing to a team that goes to the finals. 1/2 of playoff teams do it every year. There are key differences in how EDM and TOR have done in the playoffs the last two years. 1) Edmonton has faced harder competition on average. 2) Edmonton has won 3 rounds to Toronto's 1.
1) You are using points solely for your basis, without factoring in quality of competition. Nobody would pick 2022 Calgary over 2022 Tampa in a 7-game series for example, as Calgary played in a weaker division and conference. The top teams in the East beat up on the West that year and the top Atlantic teams steamrolled the Pacific when they played each other. Even 2023 Tampa would've given 2023 LA a run for their money.

2) 2 of those came in the same year beating up on a crap Pacific division

Reactions: Guttersniped

geebster

Sponsor
Oct 26, 2019
So not the Pacific? They only have Vegas as a best top playoff team
I meant by record of those currently holding a playoff spot. Look at the 3 to 4 teams that would represent the division if the playoffs started today, which division has the best group based on how they are playing tbis season. To me that's the Pacific. It could change and might. As I said this is subjective and people will define what they mean by best division in a lot of ways.

Mattb124

Apr 29, 2011
Wouldn't Toronto and NYI be the hottest teams in the league over the last bit? They've each only failed to get at minimum 1 point in the last 10 games as opposed to Edmonton who's failed to get a point in 2 games.
If you think 15>16, then absolutely.

Ironically one of the Islander’s recent OTL’s was to the Sharks, the team with the lowest point % in the Pacific.

Reactions: Three On Zero

klefbombs shoulder

Jul 21, 2023
1) You are using points solely for your basis, without factoring in quality of competition. Nobody would pick 2022 Calgary over 2022 Tampa in a 7-game series for example, as Calgary played in a weaker division and conference. The top teams in the East beat up on the West that year and the top Atlantic teams steamrolled the Pacific when they played each other. Even 2023 Tampa would've given 2023 LA a run for their money.

2) 2 of those came in the same year beating up on a crap Pacific division
Im using actual numbers, not your made up consensus.

Ezekial

Cheap Pizza, Okay Hockey
Sponsor
Nov 22, 2015
Chicago
Struggling eh reading the standings point wise
Points percentage, the worst in the east is higher than all 3 west teams lol
That was the underlying point behind the joke I made. Those 3 teams are not, in fact, better than the other 3. Probably could've added a sarcasm emoji.

TheOrangeDesk

May 27, 2015

I think the ones you call "arrogant" are just sick of dealing with :eek::eek::eek::eek::eek: like you

Ninety7

go oil go
Jun 19, 2010
Canada
:laugh: The Pacific sucked, deal with it. Your arguments also fall apart when the Oilers crumbled to the first good team they faced outside of their own division multiple times.

Your logic is based on what ifs.

There’s nothing objective about anything you’ve said. It’s impossible to say who would beat who, especially in different conferences.

Therefore, playoff series wins are the best measure of success. Last time I checked the avs don’t have an asterisk on their cup run cause they beat up on shitty teams to get there (edmonton).

I agree with you. Oilers fans when their team just goes on a win streak display tge most arrogant attitudes i have ever seen, like their team.just became a dynasty or something and the funny thing is they are barely above .500 yet they act superior to teams above them. 3 weeks ago they were talking about drafting Celebrini now they thing they are the worlds best hockey team. Am just waiting for them to go on a losing streak to quiet the cocky oilers fans.

It sounds like the oilers take a good amount of your thought/time.

I’d suggest taking a mental health break

North Cole

♧ Lem
Jan 22, 2017

Just part of fandom. If you aren't getting impression that a portion of every fanbase is insufferable I don't know what you've been reading. Every single one has this. A portion of DET fans are more than insufferable when it comes to Holland.

Reactions: TheOrangeDesk

Smif

Jan 23, 2008
Hamilton
Vegas
La
Avs
Dallas
Jets
Canucks(if you believe standings)
/oilers(if you believe in underlying numbers)

You can discount Oilers based off 10 games of bad goaltending an injuries. Others look at bigger picture
Makes a lot of sense that the Jets and Oilers would be considered contenders but not the Bruins, Rangers, Panthers, Leafs. Perfect sense.

Three On Zero

HF Designated Parking Instructor
Sponsor
Oct 9, 2012
Vegas
La
Avs
Dallas
Jets
Canucks(if you believe standings)
/oilers(if you believe in underlying numbers)

You can discount Oilers based off 10 games of bad goaltending an injuries. Others look at bigger picture
So you’ve listed 1 actual contender, where are the rest?

• Haha
Reactions: TheOrangeDesk

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad