I think Pacific is indeed the toughest division in the league

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

BCNate

Apr 3, 2016
Montreal is 4-3-2 against the Atlantic, this is not a winning record, it's a losing record.
Sure, 4 wins out of 9 is a losing record, but this is a point based league. 10 out of 18 available points is how most would look at that.

SK13

non torsii subligarium
Jul 23, 2007
Edmonton
The Atlantic Division: I think this is the most currently competitive and difficult division this year. The Bruins, Leafs, Panthers, Wings and Lightning should all make the playoffs in the end. Competitive.

The Metro Division: The division I acually think is the best in hockey except for the goaltending. Carolina and New Jersey are being driven outside of the playoff picture by somewhat unsustainably bad goaltending. Their rebound seems clear. It's a matter of time until the Devils and Canes push out the Flyers and Islanders IMO.

The Central Division: The division has two exceptional contenders and then has the biggest opening for a middling team to make the playoffs in a divisional spot. Winnipeg has played their way into that now, but all three of Nashville, Winnipeg and Arizona seem like overachievers to me. Weird early season results have given some team artificial buffers IMO.

The Pacific Division: Vegas is Vegas, LA is rock solid. I think Vancouver and Edmonton will switch spots on the board by the end. I think we basically know which teams will be playoff teams here. The top-4 will make it, the bottom-4 will not.

Reactions: HolyCrap

nucksflailtogether

Oct 15, 2017
I don't see juggernauts in the other divisions either. So yeah, I totally agree with that last sentence.

I do wonder about the Canucks. They seem like they should be a pretender. However, when you look at how a true contender is built they check a lot of boxes. Elite center. Elite Dman. Elite goalie. Not all contenders can say they have that, and finding whatever missing pieces they need is easier than if you're missing one of those three.

Also and underratedly, elite coaching.

Reactions: HockeyWooot

nucksflailtogether

Oct 15, 2017
How do you think teams with 48% shot share at 5v5 fare in the playoffs?

I'll give you a hint. Not good at all. I know because the Oilers used to be that team. The Canucks currently are there.

The Canucks have goaltending. Not to mention they’ve turned their game around recently and are starting to control the game. I wouldn’t get too comfortable with the idea that it’s a fluke team.

Reactions: HockeyWooot

HockeyWooot

Jan 28, 2020
Depends how you define tough division- depth within the division or the quality of the best teams in the division that will occupy playoff spots?

The Pacific has four teams in the bottom ten league standings, two of those teams (San Jose, Anaheim) are rebuilding teams who were expected to be at the bottom two others are having a disappointing start to season versus expectations (Calgary, Seattle). Despite that the latter are still only a few points back of the last wild card spot.

Pacific also have three teams in the top 4 of the conference, three in the top 6 of the league standings as of today's date. Also before the season and to date the division boasts several teams considered contenders in VGK, LAK and EDM (yes they have major holes but the power of McDrai is undeniable).

Last edited:

abo9

Jun 25, 2017
The ducks would be doing better if @ViD didn't jinx them earlier this year... they have been terrible since that thread. :laugh::laugh:

Dont the ducks have injuries to like, Zegras, Drysdale and McTavish?

Theyre not a great team, but those injuries cannot help

Reminds me a bit of an Atlantic lite of recent eyears with the top 3-4 teams being excellent, and the bottom 3-4 teams being completely atrocious

AvroArrow

Mitch "The God" Marner
Jun 10, 2011
Toronto
I agree. It is. Toronto sports media just needs to call it the weakest to cope with the Oilers being better than the Leaf’s.
It was the weakest for about 3-4 years running, things have changed now though. I'd argue it's a toss up between the Atlantic/Pacific now, very strong teams in both divisions.

Just a lot of Oilers fans that were in denial about beating weaker teams in the playoffs and getting swept or 4-1 everytime they faced a Central team. Sports are cyclical though, things definitely changed now. LA has gotten MUCH stronger, Vegas took a massive step forward last year, Vancouver took a massive step forward this year, Oilers are on a roll again.

It's going to be a bloodbath first round in the Pacific, we'll see one of the top teams eliminated early.

But yeah very close between Atlantic and Pacific, I would give a slight edge to Atlantic just because of the emergence of the Red Wings this year. You've got,

Boston, Toronto, Florida, Tampa, Detroit vs Vegas, LA, Vancouver, Edmonton

All solid teams.

Reactions: missingchicklet

snag

Feb 22, 2014
Also and underratedly, elite coaching.

Whoah there cowboy. Let's just wait and see on that one....
1702570658139.png

Figgy44

A toast of purple gato for the memories
Dec 15, 2014
Just wait for your own 'Cup or Bust' reverse jinx thread that will turn the season around for you :D

We might have a wait a few years for one of those... we still need to trade a significant portion of our team for futures and prospects.

AvroArrow

Mitch "The God" Marner
Jun 10, 2011
Toronto
No I’m not. Cause the divisional strength “comparison” when used by certain fanbases is just a mega cope mechanism. It always devolves into that regardless if it’s just comparing strengths and weaknesses of divisions. It’s so transparent why it’s done in the first place.
You seem very upset over something so small, not sure why lol. The Pacific was very weak from like 2017-2021 ish, it got a little stronger last year and looks great this year. It happens, at one point the Atlantic will be complete garbage too. Nothing to get this upset about, just the nature of sports.

I think you're referring to the years when Tampa, Boston, Toronto were all 100+ point, top 10 teams, there was a lot of chatter about how bad the divisional playoff format was and that 100 point teams were going to be out in the first round, meanwhile one of the 15/16 overall would be advancing.

TheNumber4

Nov 11, 2011
You seem very upset over something so small, not sure why lol. The Pacific was very weak from like 2017-2021 ish, it got a little stronger last year and looks great this year. It happens, at one point the Atlantic will be complete garbage too. Nothing to get this upset about, just the nature of sports.

I think you're referring to the years when Tampa, Boston, Toronto were all 100+ point, top 10 teams, there was a lot of chatter about how bad the divisional playoff format was and that 100 point teams were going to be out in the first round, meanwhile one of the 15/16 overall would be advancing.

Don’t assume my feelings. I’m just pointing out the Leaf’s mega cope that created the whole divisional rivalry narrative in the first place. And there you go again. Years ago I was told Leaf’s had to deal with Cup winners in their divisional/conference. Years later when the Cups start heading West, the argument hasn’t change one inch. Let’s call it what it is, a mega cope mechanism. Nothing to be “upset” about, but something that should be called out for what it obviously is.

AvroArrow

Mitch "The God" Marner
Jun 10, 2011
Toronto
Don’t assume my feelings. I’m just pointing out the Leaf’s mega cope that created the whole divisional rivalry narrative in the first place. And there you go again. Years ago I was told Leaf’s had to deal with Cup winners in their divisional/conference. Years later when the Cups start heading West, the argument hasn’t change one inch. Let’s call it what it is, a mega cope mechanism. Nothing to be “upset” about, but something that should be called out for what it obviously is.
There's no way you're this angry that people were talking about how the imbalance in divisions + playoff format was negatively effecting the quality of the playoffs and series, from like 4-5 years ago lol

Again there is no such thing as a divisional rivalry where one entire division is pinned against another. You seem stuck on this because at one point the Atlantic had 3 top 10 teams who all had 100+ points. I believe Boston and Toronto at that point were the 3rd and 5th overall teams in the league, people were upset that a top 5 team was guaranteed to be eliminated in round 1 because of a poor playoff format. And brought up the Pacific as an example that had multiple of the bottom teams that were in the playoffs.

Anyways as for the thread, the Pacific is very strong this year. Definitely an argument to be made for them being the toughest this year. Vegas/LA/Vancouver are all great teams, Edmonton had a slow start but since McDavid has been healthy they've been on a tear.

TheNumber4

Nov 11, 2011
There's no way you're this angry that people were talking about how the imbalance in divisions + playoff format was negatively effecting the quality of the playoffs and series, from like 4-5 years ago lol

Again there is no such thing as a divisional rivalry where one entire division is pinned against another. You seem stuck on this because at one point the Atlantic had 3 top 10 teams who all had 100+ points. I believe Boston and Toronto at that point were the 3rd and 5th overall teams in the league, people were upset that a top 5 team was guaranteed to be eliminated in round 1 because of a poor playoff format. And brought up the Pacific as an example that had multiple of the bottom teams that were in the playoffs.

Anyways as for the thread, the Pacific is very strong this year. Definitely an argument to be made for them being the toughest this year. Vegas/LA/Vancouver are all great teams, Edmonton had a slow start but since McDavid has been healthy they've been on a tear.
Exactly I’m not angry. Doesnt mean I can’t point out facts.

Reactions: AvroArrow

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad