Hypothetical - does McDavid win the Conn Smythe even if Oilers lose the cup? Assuming he has an above average finals

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

Hockey Outsider

Jan 16, 2005
How about, "McDavid unless Armegeddon happens before the game concludes"

McD went from +600 before game 5 to -4000 now
Trust me, I'm not saying that I expect anyone else to win the Conn Smythe. Just illustrating that the voters have some options when they send in their ballots.

Reactions: Voight and Mike C

gretzkyoilers

Apr 17, 2012
I'd probably still give the Conn Smythe to McDavid in that scenario.
Yup I agree. Putting your team on your back as a FORWARD in two back to back elimination games in unheard of and getting 8 points (!)

Game 5 will be talked about for decades to come and is now legendary....

gretzkyoilers

Apr 17, 2012
Not even a contest and Bob has not been great:

McDavid.jpg

Barkov.jpg

Czechboy

Češi do toho!
Apr 15, 2018
Not even a contest and Bob has not been great:

View attachment 886244

View attachment 886245
Before the series started the. If stat line for barkov was that no stars for many points against Florida. He shut them all down while contributing.

Then McD had 1 point in first two games and barkov looked to be the ultimate superstar whisperer .

Now McD is 2 points shy (I think?) of Gretzkys all time Stanley Cup finals record with 11 (I think 13 is the record).

And the oil have scored in droves.

2 theories
1. Drai's hit injured barkov and he's not himself
2. McD or Knob figured out barkov

Reactions: Cyclones Rock

gretzkyoilers

Apr 17, 2012
Before the series started the. If stat line for barkov was that no stars for many points against Florida. He shut them all down while contributing.

Then McD had 1 point in first two games and barkov looked to be the ultimate superstar whisperer .

Now McD is 2 points shy (I think?) of Gretzkys all time Stanley Cup finals record with 11 (I think 13 is the record).

2 theories
Number 2 but to add: the Oilers figured out the Panthers. McDavid in game 6 did not record a single point or shot (first in his career) and they still won 5-1. The Oilers adjusted while Maurice did not. You cannot put on this on Barkov. Where is Reinhart?

We will see in a few hours!

Reactions: Czechboy

Czechboy

Češi do toho!
Apr 15, 2018
Number 2 but to add: the Oilers figured out the Panthers. McDavid in game 6 did not record a single point or shot (first in his career) and they still won 5-1. The Oilers adjusted while Maurice did not. You cannot put on this on Barkov. Where is Reinhart?

We will see in a few hours!
They've definitely adjusted in every series and after losing streaks all season. I assume that is on Knoblauch.

I won't even consider us having figure out the Panthers till the game is over tonight. And it can start anytime it wants because it's all I can think about. I'm going to lose my job today.lol

BiolaRunner

Jan 19, 2018
McDavid wins it no matter the result of tonight's game, unless it's a blowout win for the Panthers, and even then...

If Panthers won it in game 6, Conn Smythe goes to a Florida player

Reactions: gretzkyoilers

Hockeyholic

Apr 20, 2017
Condo My Dad Bought Me
Edmonton better win - can you imagine the look on McDavid's face if he has to go up and receive the Conn Smythe after having just lost the Cup? This isn't Giguère in 2003 (though I doubt he was very happy about it either).
Worst part is I think they actually have to accept the trophy in front of the crowd. Undoubtedly, he will be booed as he picks it up. And watches Florida celebrating.

Will probably have zero worth to him if it comes in a losing cause.

Reactions: BTO

Thallis

No half measures
Jan 23, 2010
Behind Blue Eyes
Worst part is I think they actually have to accept the trophy in front of the crowd. Undoubtedly, he will be booed as he picks it up. And watches Florida celebrating.

Will probably have zero worth to him if it comes in a losing cause.
In the moment, sure, but its meaning to him will grow with time, same as Giggy's did.

Reactions: MadLuke

bobholly39

Mar 10, 2013
I don't think there's any realistic scenario where anyone else but Mcdavid wins the Smythe right now.

Not sure about "realistic" - but here are the only 3 scenarios where this happens:

1. Florida wins and a forward on their team has an all-time great game. So Barkov/Tkachuk....and im not talking 3 goals, im talking like 5 goals/8+ points.

2. Florida wins and McDavid is directly responsible for loss - with at least 2 goals against that are solely his fault (a dead giveaway in the slot, or an own goal etc). At the same time - a florida forward has a great game (so 3 goals or so)

3. Oilers win and McDavid is shutout while Bouchard has like 5 goals/6 points

Not exactly realistic - but it would take something like that at this point.

Reactions: jigglysquishy

McShogun99

Aug 30, 2009
Edmonton
Not sure about "realistic" - but here are the only 3 scenarios where this happens:

1. Florida wins and a forward on their team has an all-time great game. So Barkov/Tkachuk....and im not talking 3 goals, im talking like 5 goals/8+ points.

2. Florida wins and McDavid is directly responsible for loss - with at least 2 goals against that are solely his fault (a dead giveaway in the slot, or an own goal etc). At the same time - a florida forward has a great game (so 3 goals or so)

3. Oilers win and McDavid is shutout while Bouchard has like 5 goals/6 points

Not exactly realistic - but it would take something like that at this point.
I was thinking more along the lines of 10 points for Barkov before the 3rd period. 8 points for Bouchard before the 3rd period or 100 saves by Bob before the 3rd period.

Mike C

Jan 24, 2022
Indian Trail, N.C.

2 theories
3- Both

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad