Hypothetical - does McDavid win the Conn Smythe even if Oilers lose the cup? Assuming he has an above average finals

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
Think this game locked it up for Mcdavid. Even if Florida miraculously wins game 7, which seems pretty damn unlikely, McDavid putting up 6 (and counting) points in 3 games after down 3-0 to make it 3-3 clearly puts him as the favorite for the Conn Smythe.

Even beyond that, no one on Florida even deserves it at this point, even if they somehow win.

I posted this after game 5 as well, but if the Oilers can complete the reverse sweep, that's going to cement McDavid's legacy as legendary. If they win game 7, he's the captain of the first team to win the cup finals while down 0-3 in 50 years and the first Canadian team to win the cup in 30 years. He did this while breaking Gretzky's assist record and getting damn close (if not beating) the playoff point record. I genuinely can't think of an accomplishment better than that.

This may be a hot take, but I think that accomplishment alone makes the "big 4" a "big 5".

SEALBound

Fancy Gina Carano
Sponsor
Jun 13, 2010
Think this game locked it up for Mcdavid. Even if Florida miraculously wins game 7, which seems pretty damn unlikely, McDavid putting up 6 (and counting) points in 3 games after down 3-0 to make it 3-3 clearly puts him as the favorite for the Conn Smythe.

Even beyond that, no one on Florida even deserves it at this point, even if they somehow win.
Most points since Malkin, most assist since Gretzky, back from 3-0...I say you're right.

Also since game 4, Barkov and Bob have hardly been impact players.

Hockeyholic

Apr 20, 2017
Condo My Dad Bought Me

Why would that be a miracle?

heretik27

Apr 18, 2013
Winnipeg
Paradoxically, in Game 6 Barkov made a better case for himself than McDavid.

I rather enjoyed the fact that Edmonton could win this game without the offensive contributions from McDavid. Just goes to show they're more than just a single player in this resurgence, even though he's been critical to their success. Gretzky's record is probably a distant thought now, but if Edmonton wins the cup I don't think McDavid could give two shits about that. Regardless, he's just so far and away the MVP above any other player still playing.

abo9

Jun 25, 2017
I don't disagree entirely, I just don't get how someone is rewarded for being valuable in a loss?

The same philosophy that is used for the Hart which dictates that players on non-playoff teams have no chance of winning.

So either update the criteria for both awards, which I have advocated for previously, to something like "best performance of the season/playoffs" and then McDavid almost certainly bags the CS, or leave it as is, in which case it's "the most valuable player on the team that won".

I find the Hart a bit too strict too, but I'll keep the Conn Smythe.

The description of the Conn Smythe is " awarded annually to the most valuable player (MVP) of his team during the National Hockey League's (NHL) Stanley Cup playoffs"

The "his team" is a bit BS, since one could argue that McDavid and Draisaitl are close in terms of "MVPness" on the Oilers, but then no one else comes remotely close.

Regardless of that detail, McDavid is clearly the MVP to his team in those playoffs, than any other players. It's not discrediting what guys like Barkov or Bobrovsky are doing, but swap McDavid and Barkov, and there's just no contest - the Oilers might not even have made it to the Finals.

In any case, we see it every few years, where an MVP is on the losing end and doesn't get recognition. This time around though, McDavid and the Oilers still have a chance to pull through!

ORRFForever

Oct 29, 2018
Barkov's defensive play was outstanding AND he scored two goals (one stood).
If you believe he has a chance, place a bet because you can make some decent money...

2024 Conn Smythe Trophy odds​

PlayerPosition
DraftKings
FanDuel
bet365
Oilers
Connor McDavid
Center-275-440-320
Panthers
Aleksander Barkov
Center+370+650+375
Panthers
Sergei Bobrovsky
Goaltender+900+1,300+800
Panthers
Matthew Tkachuk
Winger+2,500+4,000+4,000

I would not. Connor is a lock.

Reactions: Czechboy

ZachaFlockaFlame

Aug 24, 2020
Clearly Adam Henrique is now the front-runner.

Shhhh, don't increase his value in UFA. Need him back in NJ on something decent on term/AAV :D

If you believe he has a chance, place a bet because you can make some decent money...

2024 Conn Smythe Trophy odds​

PlayerPosition
DraftKings
FanDuel
bet365
Oilers
Connor McDavid
Center-275-440-320
Panthers
Aleksander Barkov
Center+370+650+375
Panthers
Sergei Bobrovsky
Goaltender+900+1,300+800
Panthers
Matthew Tkachuk
Winger+2,500+4,000+4,000

I would not. Connor is a lock.

Yeah, only way Barkov wins it is if he has a game 7 hat trick or something. McDavid is probably a lock, even if the Oilers lose and he still might 03' Giguere it

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad