Hypothetical - does McDavid win the Conn Smythe even if Oilers lose the cup? Assuming he has an above average finals

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

TooManyHumans

May 4, 2018
There is no such thing as padding stats in the playoffs, there's way too much parity in the NHL, what a comically awful take.

Guy's fifth all time in points per game in the playoffs with a reasonable sample (70 games) and people will find the most absurd ways to tear him down.
It's well established that scoring goes down the further you go into the playoffs. If your career in the playoffs is mostly in the first round then you should be expected to have a higher ppg average than someone who routinely goes deep into the playoffs.

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
2 of McDavid’s 3 points came when the Oilers were already down 4-1, which was absolutely in part due to McDavid and Draisaitl being absolute ghosts in the first 2 periods of that game.

I kinda have a hard time giving McDavid credit for getting 2 points after his early game performance put them in a hole that the 2 points wasn’t enough to get out of. They're still points, but the value of 2 assists to lose 4-3 vs no assists to lose 4-1 doesn’t seem to be all that different to me.

Offtheboard412

Feb 26, 2012
Imagine having Chris Osgoode in nets against you :laugh:

/s

But seriously, what was wrong with Chris Kunitz at the time? He was as legit a top 6 player as anyone in the league at the time.
Kunitz was a good player, but he wasn't there for the first finals the Pens made, and he struggled offensively in the 09 playoffs. He really didn't develop any chemistry with Crosby until the year after they won their first Cup. He only scored one goal that entire playoffs, though he did manage to pick up 13 assists and was solid in other areas.

Reactions: pi314

bobholly39

Mar 10, 2013
2 of McDavid’s 3 points came when the Oilers were already down 4-1, which was absolutely in part due to McDavid and Draisaitl being absolute ghosts in the first 2 periods of that game.

I kinda have a hard time giving McDavid credit for getting 2 points after his early game performance put them in a hole that the 2 points wasn’t enough to get out of. They're still points, but the value of 2 assists to lose 4-3 vs no assists to lose 4-1 doesn’t seem to be all that different to me.

I think there's too much over-analyzing that happens.

Your team is down 4-1 in the third period of such a critical game...and you get 2 key points in the 3rd ot cut the lead to 4-3. How is that not important/valuable?

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
I think there's too much over-analyzing that happens.

Your team is down 4-1 in the third period of such a critical game...and you get 2 key points in the 3rd ot cut the lead to 4-3. How is that not important/valuable?

Because they still lost 4-3, so the end result would have been identical had McDavid had 0 points in the 3rd period. It would be different if those points happened early in a game because it would change the entire story of the game. But they happened late when the Oilers had effectively already lost.

Either way, the expectation for McDavid’s performance should be higher than 3 points in 3 games. That’s not even touching on the value of those points being put up while down 4-1.

Goose

Apr 18, 2006
It's well established that scoring goes down the further you go into the playoffs. If your career in the playoffs is mostly in the first round then you should be expected to have a higher ppg average than someone who routinely goes deep into the playoffs.

Fair argument if you can prove the decrease is statistically significant, which I'm highly doubtful of.

Also extremely doubtful that it's so significant that you can call scoring playoff points in the first two rounds "padding." It's m-er-f-ing hard to win playoff series in the NHL.

Sasha Orlov

Lord of the Manor
Sponsor
Jun 22, 2018
Ooooof.

I was right all along. Draisaitl has proven nothing beyond the second round.

Can't call a player one of the best performers when they're just padding stats in the worst division in the league for the first two rounds.
LMAO you are pathetic

Reactions: RooBicks

kevsh

Nov 28, 2018
How is that not important/valuable?

In the same way a goalie gives up two soft goals in the first but makes two huge saves in the third, in a loss.

His two points in the end are only "valuable" if they win the game. They didn't.
Of course if Edmonton were to come back and win the series with McD leading that charge, then certainly those two points will help him a little - because in the end they won.

Overanalyzing? Sure, but it's actually pretty simple = It's valuable when you win.

TooManyHumans

May 4, 2018
Fair argument if you can prove the decrease is statistically significant, which I'm highly doubtful of.

Also extremely doubtful that it's so significant that you can call scoring playoff points in the first two rounds "padding." It's m-er-f-ing hard to win playoff series in the NHL.
I don't have the data but I have seen it in the past and it shows a pretty clear trend of scoring going down as you get deeper into the playoffs. Save percentage tends to go up as well.

bambamcam4ever

107 and counting
Feb 16, 2012

This is not uncommon in his playoff career. Game 1 vs Chicago he makes some terrible plays in his own zone and is the biggest reason they are losing 3-0. Later puts up 3 points in garbage time but they still lose by 2.

GreatGonzo

May 26, 2011
South Of the Tank
Because they still lost 4-3, so the end result would have been identical had McDavid had 0 points in the 3rd period. It would be different if those points happened early in a game because it would change the entire story of the game. But they happened late when the Oilers had effectively already lost.

Either way, the expectation for McDavid’s performance should be higher than 3 points in 3 games. That’s not even touching on the value of those points being put up while down 4-1.
What are you talking about? :laugh:

So you would rather him go pointless in a 4-1 loss than try to get the game back in hand with two assists in a 4-3 loss? What sort of logic is this?..Either way, you will find a reason to trash McDavid regardless…

McDavid hasn’t been playing that great, but in case you haven’t noticed, their top talent hasn’t done ANYTHING. Their goaltending has completely shit the bed and their defense has been bleeding goals.

That’s the problem though isn’t it? Is “expectations.” But the facts are McDavid could have 10 points in this series and you would still find a reason to hate on him.

GreatGonzo

May 26, 2011
South Of the Tank
In the same way a goalie gives up two soft goals in the first but makes two huge saves in the third, in a loss.

His two points in the end are only "valuable" if they win the game. They didn't.
Of course if Edmonton were to come back and win the series with McD leading that charge, then certainly those two points will help him a little - because in the end they won.

Overanalyzing? Sure, but it's actually pretty simple = It's valuable when you win.
Once again, people would have rather the Oilers lose 4-1 than 4-3…how dare McDavid try to get his team back in the game!! :laugh:

People simply love to hate on McDavid no matter what. He has to score all the goals, make all the plays, make all the saves, and play stellar defensively….if he doesn’t do ALL these things at once, he’s no real “winner”

• Haha
Reactions: stampedingviking

Neil Racki

May 2, 2018
Baltimore-ish
Once again, people would have rather the Oilers lose 4-1 than 4-3…how dare McDavid try to get his team back in the game!! :laugh:

People simply love to hate on McDavid no matter what. He has to score all the goals, make all the plays, make all the saves, and play stellar defensively….if he doesn’t do ALL these things at once, he’s no real “winner”
I WANT to love McDavid .. I want to feel like Im watching the Michael Jordan of hockey

This Finals was supposed to be his coming out party for non-hockey fans to see

McDavid looks like a power play merchant and nothing more. Zero defensive zone impact, good 5 v 5, amazing on the PP.

McDavid is screwing the pooch right now

hes f***ing Scottie Pippen at this point

GreatGonzo

May 26, 2011
South Of the Tank
I WANT to love McDavid .. I want to feel like Im watching the Michael Jordan of hockey

McDavid looks like a power play merchant and nothing more. Zero defensive zone impact, good 5 v 5, amazing on the PP.

Again, it’s ALL McDavids fault? He’s literally the only one putting in any offense while the rest of his team isn’t doing shit. His goaltending and defense is a wreck too, but I guess that’s all him too?

Scottie pippen? The guy with ZERO scoring titles or MVPs…sure bud.

• Haha
Reactions: stampedingviking

MCR74

Nov 11, 2022

The "hate" also comes from OIlers fans shoving him down our throats at every opportunity and reminding us that there is no greater player. McDavid has been a non-factor so far. I hope his team flames out in 4.

Neil Racki

May 2, 2018
Baltimore-ish
Again, it’s ALL McDavids fault? He’s literally the only one putting in any offense while the rest of his team isn’t doing shit. His goaltending and defense is a wreck too, but I guess that’s all him too?

Scottie pippen? The guy with ZERO scoring titles or MVPs…sure bud.
No dude. Geez .. stop trying to interpret any comment as a diss to mcdavid. McDavid is the best player in hockey. FFS do I have to write that every time before I make a personal observation on McDavid?

Oilers down 0-3 is not his fault. This is a McDavid thread so Im talking McDavid.

my comment and opinion is limited to the confinement of "mcdavid had this chance in the Finals to showcase to the world that he is the MJ of hockey .. and so far he is disappointing."

even the biggest mcdavid/oilers fan has to admit that.

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
What are you talking about? :laugh:

So you would rather him go pointless in a 4-1 loss than try to get the game back in hand with two assists in a 4-3 loss? What sort of logic is this?..Either way, you will find a reason to trash McDavid regardless…

McDavid hasn’t been playing that great, but in case you haven’t noticed, their top talent hasn’t done ANYTHING. Their goaltending has completely shit the bed and their defense has been bleeding goals.

That’s the problem though isn’t it? Is “expectations.” But the facts are McDavid could have 10 points in this series and you would still find a reason to hate on him.

Maybe if McDavid wasn't playing terrible relative to the expectations for how he should be playing, he wouldn't be receiving criticism?

Crazy thought: he's being criticized because of threads like these hyping him up to crazy levels, only for him to be a complete dud when the games actually start.

McDavid has been invisible for his standards for most of the series. He finally looked alive in the 3rd period after the Oilers were down 4-1, but that was too late and they still lost that game. They're down 3-0 in the series and have been utterly dominated by the Panthers. How do you think it's somehow not fair game to criticize McDavid for that?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad