Hypothetical - does McDavid win the Conn Smythe even if Oilers lose the cup? Assuming he has an above average finals

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

BB88

Jan 19, 2015
McDavid or Bob are the most obvious choices. Game 1 was straight up stolen by goaltending.

Oddly enough, depth players and goaltending are playing the biggest role in peoples perceptions.

Take a guy like Barkov who many are mentioning and compare him to McDavid.

McDavid:

All situations: 32 points in 20 games
5v5 points: 15 points in 20 games:
(these both lead all players)

5v5:
Goals for/60: 3.54
Goals against:/60: 2.16
Differential % with REL: 62.11 (+23.56)

The rest of the Oilers team not playing with McDavid:
Goals for/60: 1.70
Goals against:/60: 2.71
Differential %: 38.55

Oilers Goaltending: 89.13

Barkov:

All situations: 19 points in 19 games
5v5 points: 8 points in 19 games:

5v5:
Goals for/60: 2.36
Goals against:/60: 1.77
Differential with REL: 57.13 (-2.66)

The rest of the Panthers team not playing with Barkov:
Goals for/60: 2.29
Goals against:/60: 1.54
Differential: 59.79

Panthers Goaltending: 91.43

Not saying Barkov isnt having a great playoffs but McDavid is literally carrying a sad sack team as far as he can here. Barkov is a great player getting great support and great goaltending and McDavid is the best player in the playoffs getting neither.

You know where Barkovs value is?

Kucherov
Pasta
Panarin
McDavid
Drai

So far in these playoffs combine for 1 5on5 goal against Barkov

That’s called doing the heavy lifting while at the same time being at the top of their scoring board

& what happened to Edmonton being the superior team? Now McDavid is carrying garbage..

Jan 13, 2023
You know where Barkovs value is?

Kucherov
Pasta
Panarin
McDavid
Drai

So far in these playoffs combine for 1 5on5 goal against Barkov

That’s called doing the heavy lifting while at the same time being at the top of their scoring board

& what happened to Edmonton being the superior team? Now McDavid is carrying garbage..
you really trying to convince people that Barkov is better than McDavid? LOL

BB88

Jan 19, 2015

That’s exactly what that post says!

You are too good

Or that post said why Barkov has a damm good case for Conn Smythe

I’m just wondering why suddenly McDavid is now carrying garbage when few days ago Edmonton was superior team and going for easy Cup

KillerMillerTime

Jun 30, 2019
That’s exactly what that post says!

You are too good

Or that post said why Barkov has a damm good case for Conn Smythe

I’m just wondering why suddenly McDavid is now carrying garbage when few days ago Edmonton was superior team and going for easy Cup

Its two games and the first was all about Bob. Game 2 Barkov was better than McDavid but McDavid was more dangerous than Barkov and more noticeable.

You're going to look foolish beginning tonight.

WetcoastOrca

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 3, 2011
Vancouver, BC
McDavid has played decently in the SCF. But the Conn Smythe is not awarded to the player who tries the hardest. If Florida wins and a forward is selected over Bob then it’s Barkov. He’s consistently shut down the best players head to head including McDavid and the vaunted Edmonton power play. His offensive production is secondary over his elite defense these playoffs.

Harvey Birdman

…Need some law books, with pictures this time…
Oct 21, 2008
Penguins Legal Office
If Florida wins the Cup, there's no way anyone other than Bobrovsky wins the Conn Smythe. The dude has given up just 2 goals or less in 15 of their 19 playoff games thus far.
It’s Bob or Barkov if Florida wins. I could see an argument for ether but no one past them I could see it rationally going too.

josra33

Aug 11, 2008
McDavid has played decently in the SCF. But the Conn Smythe is not awarded to the player who tries the hardest. If Florida wins and a forward is selected over Bob then it’s Barkov. He’s consistently shut down the best players head to head including McDavid and the vaunted Edmonton power play. His offensive production is secondary over his elite defense these playoffs.
Bobs sporting a 2.02 GAA over 19 games. Even if he’s average the rest of the way and they win, it’s gotta be an automatic.

Reactions: WetcoastOrca

BKarchitect

Oct 12, 2017
Kansas City, MO
Barkov's 200 foot game has been just as important.
Well that may be the nuanced answer don’t doubt for a second that Bob will get the Smythe if the Cats win.

A lot of people making good arguments for guys who have been stellar throughout extended runs but if the Cats win:

A) McDavid has ZERO chance of winning the Smythe. You can trot out all the stats you want. It’s not gonna happen nor should it happen. That doesn’t mean he still didn’t have a monster playoffs or isn’t the best player around by a country mile. Of course this all changes if the Oilers mount a huge series comeback and win. But this is a fruitless argument if the premise is “Panthers take the Cup.”

B) Bob will most certainly win because the writers who vote will want a narrative and Barkov’s good but non-spectacular offensive totals and having to explain 5v5 defense from the forward position and Corsi in articles isn’t a sexy narrative. Bob’s crazy GAA and hot play is, and it is much more accessible. He’s also full worthy at this rate.

Harvey Birdman

…Need some law books, with pictures this time…
Oct 21, 2008
Penguins Legal Office
More talented does not equate to more effective. I am a fan of neither team so no horse in the race. There are very few in the span of the hockey world that would McDavid does not sit in the seat as the most talented player on the planet. And I do not find myself one of them I don’t think there is a debate McDavid is the most talented hockey player alive. But more effective in delivering victory? Florida are in their back to back final. If not for being a limping mess at the end last season they had a team that should have pushed Vegas further than they did. Unless McDavid lights the rink ablaze and makes this series go to 6 or 7 games you still will have very few people arguing against McDavid being the most talented player in the world. But also Barkov’s ability to take offensive players off of the board and lead a team deep into multiple chances to the SCF can not be argued ether. And if you would it just shows bias. Whether Barkov raises the cup or not.

Catscountry40

Feb 4, 2021
Well that may be the nuanced answer don’t doubt for a second that Bob will get the Smythe if the Cats win.

A lot of people making good arguments for guys who have been stellar throughout extended runs but if the Cats win:

A) McDavid has ZERO chance of winning the Smythe. You can trot out all the stats you want. It’s not gonna happen nor should it happen. That doesn’t mean he still didn’t have a monster playoffs or isn’t the best player around by a country mile. Of course this all changes if the Oilers mount a huge series comeback and win. But this is a fruitless argument if the premise is “Panthers take the Cup.”

B) Bob will most certainly win because the writers who vote will want a narrative and Barkov’s good but non-spectacular offensive totals and having to explain 5v5 defense from the forward position and Corsi in articles isn’t a sexy narrative. Bob’s crazy GAA and hot play is, and it is much more accessible. He’s also full worthy at this rate.
I am bias towards Barkov as a Panthers because me and many Cats fans still feel Barkov's is still underrated. He will always be a about 80-100 point guy but the other stuff he does in the game makes him a top 5 player in the NHL.

But media and especially Canadian media won't see it when you have stat compliers like Leon and McDavid being put in the top 5.

Barkov's impact is a big as Kuch or McKinnon if not more. But Barkov will never be brought up for the Hart.

Hockeyholic

Apr 20, 2017
Condo My Dad Bought Me
From puck drop Edmonton was dominant and Bob made numerous huge saves.
And Skinner couldn't make a key save. Wonder if Edmonton will bring him back as starter or look to upgrade in goal. Imo he hasn't shown enough to be reliable. But he may be their only option.

Had Edmonton won that game, this series is completely different.

As is, tonight is just to determine if this series ends in a sweep or in game 5. When Edmonton loses the cup, it's better to lose on the road.

HockeyVirus

Woll stan.
Nov 15, 2020
Yeah, how many even strength points in the last 4-5 games?

They've been relying on the PP for a while now. Now that it's dried up, everyone has stopped putting up numbers.

I suppose it comes with playing a very, very, structured team.

I mean that is the OIlers. PP merchants. Incredible PP merchants, ungodly, but that is all they are

Reactions: WestCoast CyberG
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad