Recalled/Assigned: Hutchinson Back Up, Kaskisuo Sent Down

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Dough72

Sep 3, 2008
maybe I didn't catch the entire answer but it sounded like Keefe says he kept Hutchinson because he conferred with his players? Beause players are not goalie scouts. Players barely even pay attention to their own goalie during a game. That is just a horribly ridiculous way to do things.

likecheese

Oct 21, 2019
maybe I didn't catch the entire answer but it sounded like Keefe says he kept Hutchinson because he conferred with his players? Beause players are not goalie scouts. Players barely even pay attention to their own goalie during a game. That is just a horribly ridiculous way to do things.
He gave his players some privilege, they chose to give Hutch another shot and then they once again put up a complete crapshow of a defensive effort, led by their highest paid player. Lesson learned for Keefe, I'm sure.

jaric1862

Jan 14, 2014
Another back to back next week. Dubas better be hitting the phones hard. There's been enough excuses made for Hutch, he's simply not an NHL calibre goaltender

The Iceman

Sep 22, 2007
I am not a Dr, or Sports medicine expert

BUT

If we work the heck out of Andersen now and go light on him the last 3 weeks of the season wouldn't he be fresh for the playoffs?
Mine line of thinking is just because you are tired in February doesn't mean you can't get properly rested for the playoffs in a few weeks?

Battle Lin

Dec 18, 2015
wen dubas traded sparks i was like, ok lets see what our GM has up his sleeves for us...cause your back up plays 20-30 games a year and has to hold the fort in case your number 1 goes down, thats a pretty darn important position to play...and he just decided to do nothing about our goalie depth

hes done a lot of things right, but this one is a horrible assessment of your talent...i mean no fan was happy starting the year with our back up situation like this but dubas was fine with it

Dough72

Sep 3, 2008
I am not a Dr, or Sports medicine expert

BUT

If we work the heck out of Andersen now and go light on him the last 3 weeks of the season wouldn't he be fresh for the playoffs?
Mine line of thinking is just because you are tired in February doesn't mean you can't get properly rested for the playoffs in a few weeks?
never played goalie but always figured they needed mental rest more than anything, the biggest part of their job is to spend all game lazer focused on the puck never allowed to blink for a second. I think that's what separates the NHLers from the AHLers keeping their concentration level at a peak for a full 60 minutes. A bit like air traffic controllers who work under constant mental stress and need downtime now and then or go crazy. Think it's why Freddie does that weird 20 minute ritual before games where he stares at little rock formations made out of pucks, seems to be all mental with him.

forecheck

May 14, 2007
wen dubas traded sparks i was like, ok lets see what our GM has up his sleeves for us...cause your back up plays 20-30 games a year and has to hold the fort in case your number 1 goes down, thats a pretty darn important position to play...and he just decided to do nothing about our goalie depth

hes done a lot of things right, but this one is a horrible assessment of your talent...i mean no fan was happy starting the year with our back up situation like this but dubas was fine with it
He has done more wrong than right in my opinion

FlareKnight

Jun 26, 2006
Alberta
Unfortunately this is what happens when you go to the bargain bin for the backup. You hear the talk of "who cares about the backup" when people were concerned about dumping McBackup. Well how are those people enjoying this latest game? The backup freaking matters when they play almost a quarter of the season!

But this is what some of these contracts cost us. Overpaying Marner by a couple million matters when you can't spend more than league minimum on your backup. And I'm not sure how we fix this without dumping someone who is paid at least as much as Kapanen/Johnsson.

deletethis

Mar 17, 2015
Toronto
Thank Mitch marner and his mercenary ways for our inability to afford a backup goalie

Marner and his other RFA teammates were nothing to do with this. This was always Dubas' planned budget for the backup...

Garret Sparks signed for $750k: March 5th, 2019
Michael Hutchinson signed for $700k: June 27th, 2019
2 1/2 months later...
Mitch Marner signed: September 13, 2019

Reactions: Buds17

axlrose87

Jul 13, 2018
Marner and his other RFA teammates were nothing to do with this. This was always Dubas' planned budget for the backup...

2 1/2 months later...
When you’re left with not other options, it has to be your plan.
f***en extortionists

Reactions: ER89

Superstar

"Be water, my friend."
Jun 25, 2008

2 1/2 months later...

Dubas already knew what kind of money Marner wanted, and was saving the money by being cheap with the back-up budget.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad