Recalled/Assigned: Hutchinson Back Up, Kaskisuo Sent Down

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

namttebih

Dec 11, 2010
East York
It's too bad. As was cheering for the local guy. There's just no wiggle room right now. We have to ice the best team every night.

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
So a reset Hutchinson is just as bad as a pre reset Hutchinson.

How many Leaf coaches does it take to screw in a light bulb, before the idea that Hutchenson is not an NHL goalie is confirmed.

upload_2019-11-30_5-16-4.png

Hutchenson is now 0-6-1 losing all 7 games this year, and that's a problem that hopefully the GM will address soon, as you can't make the playoffs without your backup goalie contributing wins to the equation.

ottomaddox

Oct 31, 2017
Toronto
How many Leaf coaches does it take to screw in a light bulb, before the idea that Hutchenson is not an NHL goalie is confirmed.

View attachment 284619

Hutchenson is now 0-6-1 losing all 7 games this year, and that's a problem that hopefully the GM will address soon, as you can't make the playoffs without your backup goalie contributing wins to the equation.

I'm sorry, but this is on Dubas. Two years in a row of back-up goalie futility?

DarkKnight

Professional Amateur
Jan 17, 2017
When people say backups don’t matter, use some bizarre statistically excuse:

McBackup 11-5
Sparks 8-9-1
Hutchinson 0-6-1

In a parity league, every point counts...

Dayjobdave

Apr 29, 2010
Well, for the next chapter in this adventure we call “Being a Leaf fan.” We are going to see what whiz kid and Supercoach, on the advice of crusty old Shannyman, do to solve this problem, because problem it is.

Tough to go right back to KK here after they sent him down. Tough to just stick with Hutch, although they might, and very little room to bring in a ringer...

....and the season is hanging in the balance.

bodechek

Oct 10, 2017
Hutchinson is absolute GARBAGE! According to hockeyplayerdb, he had been a professional (AHL/NHL) since 2010/2011! He is not NHL ready and after pretty much 10 years, NEVER will be! He has absolutely no trade value so the Leafs organization is better off giving him his outright release! I would rather give Kaskisuo another opportunity while the Leafs organization finds another NHL capable backup.

Clark4Ever

What we do in hockey echoes in eternity...
Oct 10, 2010
T.O.
So a reset Hutchinson is just as bad as a pre reset Hutchinson.

At least now Dubas can (hopefully) move forward and address this glaring issue on the roster.

I think giving Hutch another shot was the right thing to do under the circumstances, but he just can't cut it at this level.

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board

McBackup 11-5
Sparks 8-9-1
Hutchinson 0-6-1 & Kaskisuo 0-1-0

Sadly it might already be too late game over on this season, or getting precariously close.

This is the way I see it..

Freddy plays about 62 games on average while his backup gets about 20 games..

Last season Freddy played 60 games recorded a record of 36-16-7 for 79 points earned. Freddy's career best is 38 wins playing 66 games.

You need about 98 points to secure a wild card spot because of parity in the league.

Which means your backup needs to secure about 20 points from his 20 starts or something like 9-9-2 record.

Since Hutchenson + Kaskisuo have a record of 0-7-1 YTD that means whomever is going to be the backup going forward will be tasked with a challenge of going 9-2-1 roughly to hit that mark = .792 points % earned in the balance of the season over the course of 12 or so games played.

Reactions: DarkKnight

DarkKnight

Professional Amateur
Jan 17, 2017
Sadly it might already be too late game over on this season, or getting precariously close.

This is the way I see it..

Freddy plays about 62 games while a backup gets about 20 games..

Last season Freddy played 60 games recorded a record of 36-16-7 for 79 points earned. Freddy's career best is 38 wins playing 66 games.

You need about 98 points to secure a wild card spot because of parity in the league.

Which means your backup needs to secure about 20 points from his 20 starts or something like 9-9-2 record.

Since Hutchenson + Kaskisuo have a record of 0-7-1 YTD that means whomever is going to be the backup going forward will be tasked with a challenge of going 9-2-1 roughly to hit that mark = .792 points % earned in the balance of the season over the course of 12 or so games played.
Well laid out.

deletethis

Mar 17, 2015
Toronto
I've always said that your marginal players (4th line, 6th/7th defensemen, backup goalie) don't necessary win games for you but they can lose games. I don't need a spreadsheet to estimate the impact of a sub-marginal player who plays 25% of the team's total minutes in a season. These I-am-so-clever games with this backup position haven't made a lick of sense. I actually don't think the backup should ever be a league minimum player unless he's a minor league promotion. Look around the league: functional veteran backups aren't league minimum players.

Reactions: DarkKnight

SeaOfBlue

The Passion That Unites Us All
Aug 1, 2013

McBackup 11-5
Sparks 8-9-1
Hutchinson 0-6-1

See the thing is, Sparks' record would be totally fine. If we were 3-3-1 (approximately Sparks' record last year) vs. 0-6-1, we would be comfortably in a playoff spot right now.

And Sparks was like 6-2-1 at this point last year. It was the putrid defensive efforts late in the year that Babcock carried into this year which really killed his record. If we got a 6-2-1 backup that was able to be carried throughout the year, that is exactly what we need right now.

At this point, Kaskisuo would make a lot more sense than Hutchinson, so use him.

SeaOfBlue

The Passion That Unites Us All
Aug 1, 2013
I've always said that your marginal players (4th line, 6th/7th defensemen, backup goalie) don't necessary win games for you but they can lose games. I don't need a spreadsheet to estimate the impact of a sub-marginal player who plays 25% of the team's total minutes in a season. These I-am-so-clever games with this backup position haven't made a lick of sense. I actually don't think the backup should ever be a league minimum player unless he's a minor league promotion. Look around the league: functional veteran backups aren't league minimum players.

Stalock and Francouz are doing fine. There were also a bunch of mid-20's goalies who were fine last year, including Jack Campbell who did well but is now sucking.

Hutchinson is just awful. He never was good, but I guess they hoped his ability against bottom feeder teams would translate to a half decent backup. Considering the alternatives, that was about the best they could come up with.

There is still hope with Kaskisuo, but I think yesterday makes Dubas think about finding a new external option, which is probably what he has been doing regardless of what he's been saying in the media.

Gallagbi

Formerly Eazy_B97
Jul 5, 2005

McBackup 11-5
Sparks 8-9-1
Hutchinson 0-6-1

That suggests they only matter when they're winless for us. There wasn't an impact from Mac to Sparks on the team. Same opponent, same situation in playoffs.

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
Well laid out.

In Leafs record breaking points 105 and goalie wins season of 2017-18 Anderson record was 38-21-5 in 66 games = 81 points of 132 available = points % .614 earned.

This season in 20 games Freddy is 12-5-3 = 27 of 40 points = .675 points % earned, currently above his career best.

Leafs need a backup goalie now to play at a winning/points % rate equal/better than Anderson is playing at currently or has ever achieved in his Leafs career.

Even if Freddy played all remaining 55 games and consistently played at his .675 points% earned rate on this season = 102 points Leafs season, the margin of error is about 4-5 points. While at his career best .614% it would be 95 points.

PS. Leafs need to find a backup goalie making less than $1 mil AAV to win 8-9 games of his 12 remaining starts, while Anderson continues to play above his career best rate.

Its not your fault

Nov 24, 2016

View attachment 284619

Yah that's worse then Sparks.

JT AM da real deal

Oct 4, 2018
I do think Hutch is better than Kask, but we need a better backup. Unless we can improve our team D considerably (possible once Keefe has had a few months with the team?), our goalies are gonna continue to face tones of extremely high danger scoring chances. We need a top notch backup, not just a passable one.
I think you are only one who thinks that. Even Keefe does not. He p

JT AM da real deal

Oct 4, 2018
I think you are only one who thinks that. Even Keefe does not. He p
ayed Kask every playoff game excoet 1 after a B2B where Hutch came in a crapped da bed and cost team a win on home ice which lost us that series. and lost us the playoffs. This was after crapping da bed in Winnipeg too.

JT AM da real deal

Oct 4, 2018

McBackup 11-5
Sparks 8-9-1
Hutchinson 0-6-1

That sums it all up really well. McBackup solid from london. Sparks OK but bad technique and chicago kid. Hutch decent form but ECHL quality on athletics from barrie.

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
Yah that's worse then Sparks.

Hard to imagine that getting rid of Sparks 8-9-1 record and replacing that with backups Hutchenson/Kaskisuo 0-7-1 has made the Leafs worse but that is the reality of the results and the stats don't lie.

Dubas would likely give his right arm about now to get a backup goalie capable of matching Sparks last season mark which means 8-2-0 record to break even and needs to do that spending less that $1 mil AAV to achieve it..

Is there a Jordan Billington is the Leafs current prospect pool is the million dollar AAV question?

Reactions: Its not your fault

JT AM da real deal

Oct 4, 2018
Hard to imagine that getting rid of Sparks 8-9-1 record and replacing that with backups Hutchenson/Kaskisuo 0-7-1 has made the Leafs worse but that is the reality of the results and the stats don't lie.

Dubas would likely give his right arm about now to get a backup goalie capable of matching Sparks last season mark which means 8-2-0 record to break even and needs to do that spending less that $1 mil AAV to achieve it..

Is there a Jordan Billington is the Leafs current prospect pool is the million dollar AAV question?
Not yet

egd27

exspecta usque ad proximum annum
Sponsor
Jul 8, 2011
GTA

View attachment 284619

yup. 1 point out a possible 14.
Even an unimpressive 5 out of 14 makes a huge difference at this point in the season.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad