Recalled/Assigned: Hutchinson Back Up, Kaskisuo Sent Down

deletethis

Mar 17, 2015
Toronto
I'm not saying it'll be easy but to make the playoffs this season I think Dubas needs to source a well above average backup who can deliver a near-Andersen level of performance. The backup position is in a huge performance hole.

A .500 performance in 14 games from another backup may not be good enough. That would leave it up to Andersen to go something like 25-13-2 just to hit the 98 points that should be enough for playoff qualification. That would tie a personal best performance for Andersen in 6 less starts. I don't think that's a realistic expectation for Freddy.

Buds17

Nov 29, 2015
It's a tough situation. Haven't been impressed often enough with Hutchinson, but the options that have been available (traded/on waivers) aren't necessarily upgrades either.

showtime8

Jun 30, 2010
Toronto, ON
I like Kinkaid over Hutch but only if we don't have to overpay to get him

Kinkaid would be a better option. I don't think you have to pay for a back-up tender. You can probably get him for Hutchinson + Marincin. Something along those lines. They can retain some money on that.

Fogelhund

Sep 15, 2007
From today. https://www.tsn.ca/kyle-dubas-on-mitch-marner-s-return-backup-goaltending-and-more-1.1406926

On the Leafs’ backup goalie situation, and whether he’s pursuing a trade to potentially replace Michael Hutchinson:

“We’re always looking at the trade market every day for every position. What I would really like more than anything is for us to put together a good game in front of Michael [for his next start on Wednesday against Colorado]. We need to give him an opportunity. I thought he was outstanding in the first period against Buffalo [in Friday's 6-4 loss] and I think we got a little bit sloppy thereafter. I know it’s the pressing question, there always has to be a pressing concern in this market, but I think what we're really looking forward to and what we’ll stress here today to the players is we’d like for them to put a complete effort in, in front of Fred and Michael both.

[Hutchinson has] been a good goalie in the past and he’s played well in stretches here and I’ve got full belief that he can get back. You don't lose it overnight and there’s always a regression to the mean to be had and he's got a good track record of doing that, so I don't think we want to be hasty; we want to be patient, we need to show our belief. I know that’s not the answer that people would like. I think if we were going to satisfy the masses, it would be to just make a move to make a move. I understand that, but we've got belief in him and will continue to support him here and get ready for the week ahead.”

======================================

I fully believe that we need a backup goalie, but it needs to be the right guy, not just another underperforming guy, because people are desperate for change. It needs to be the right change. Kinkaid for a multitude of reasons isn't that guy.

Reactions: qqaz

Zizzzzy

Dec 6, 2017
Imagine, if only we had kept McElhinney last year we could be complaining about how terrible Sparks is right now...

ToDavid

Dec 13, 2018
Kincaid on waivers ?
Should we take him ?
Anyone know his $$

He costs $1.75 million and he's literally played worse than Hutchinson this season. Second worst goalie in the league (who has played more than 1 game) in save % vs. expected, next to only Schneider. Hutch is 4th worst.

Reactions: Teeder Keon

egd27

Donec nunc annum
Sponsor
Jul 8, 2011
GTA

So we're looking at the trade market for #1C's and RW's and starting goalies?
Ok Kyle.....sure you are :laugh:

My concern is he held most of the cards in the his contract negotiations and didn't fare all that well, how well is he going to do from an obvious position of weakness?

Reactions: HamiltonNHL

egd27

Donec nunc annum
Sponsor
Jul 8, 2011
GTA
Kinkaid would be a better option. I don't think you have to pay for a back-up tender. You can probably get him for Hutchinson + Marincin. Something along those lines. They can retain some money on that.
Who in their right minds is going to trade something of value (and retain) for Hutch and Marincin?

Clark4Ever

What we do in hockey echoes in eternity...
Oct 10, 2010
T.O.
From today. https://www.tsn.ca/kyle-dubas-on-mitch-marner-s-return-backup-goaltending-and-more-1.1406926

On the Leafs’ backup goalie situation, and whether he’s pursuing a trade to potentially replace Michael Hutchinson:

“We’re always looking at the trade market every day for every position. What I would really like more than anything is for us to put together a good game in front of Michael [for his next start on Wednesday against Colorado]. We need to give him an opportunity. I thought he was outstanding in the first period against Buffalo [in Friday's 6-4 loss] and I think we got a little bit sloppy thereafter. I know it’s the pressing question, there always has to be a pressing concern in this market, but I think what we're really looking forward to and what we’ll stress here today to the players is we’d like for them to put a complete effort in, in front of Fred and Michael both.

[Hutchinson has] been a good goalie in the past and he’s played well in stretches here and I’ve got full belief that he can get back. You don't lose it overnight and there’s always a regression to the mean to be had and he's got a good track record of doing that, so I don't think we want to be hasty; we want to be patient, we need to show our belief. I know that’s not the answer that people would like. I think if we were going to satisfy the masses, it would be to just make a move to make a move. I understand that, but we've got belief in him and will continue to support him here and get ready for the week ahead.”

======================================

I fully believe that we need a backup goalie, but it needs to be the right guy, not just another underperforming guy, because people are desperate for change. It needs to be the right change. Kinkaid for a multitude of reasons isn't that guy.

Kyle, there is only a pressing concern in this market when there is a pressing concern regarding the team. Everyone who follows the team seems to recognize the issue with our backup goaltending situation, and hopefully you do behind closed doors as well.

Martin Skoula

Oct 18, 2017
Kyle, there is only a pressing concern in this market when there is a pressing concern regarding the team. Everyone who follows the team seems to recognize the issue with our backup goaltending situation, and hopefully you do behind closed doors as well.

He can't come out and say "Hutch is garbage, he's the best option we have in-house, and we only get one shot to get the trade right unless the back-up is making less than the amount you can bury in the AHL."

Egghead1999

Nov 9, 2007
He can't come out and say "Hutch is garbage, he's the best option we have in-house, and we only get one shot to get the trade right unless the back-up is making less than the amount you can bury in the AHL."
That is not truth; if he acted last month, he would use marner's ltir to get a bk up

egd27

Donec nunc annum
Sponsor
Jul 8, 2011
GTA
What is value at this point if you're getting sent down to the AHL? It's a body in- body out trade.
Value is a decent BUG....otherwise there's no point in dealing for something as bad as Hutch. And I don't see getting a decent BUG for Hutch and MartyMar

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
So we're looking at the trade market for #1C's and RW's and starting goalies?
Ok Kyle.....sure you are :laugh:

My concern is he held most of the cards in the his contract negotiations and didn't fare all that well, how well is he going to do from an obvious position of weakness?

Acquiring a backup goalie isn't going to break the bank.

Reactions: Menzinger

Battle Lin

Dec 18, 2015
we gotta offer a decent pick, get a team to retain, and get a decent goalie for around 1 mill

Martin Skoula

Oct 18, 2017
That is not truth; if he acted last month, he would use marner's ltir to get a bk up

How much money is this back-up making? I'm assuming it's more than the amount you can hide in the AHL. What happens if Marner comes back and the back-up doesn't fit our system?

We only get one shot at the trade, whoever we get is the guy for the rest of the year even if he's worse than Hutch.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad