How soon before we see a Jersey/ Logo rebrand?

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

DJA

over the horizon radar
Sponsor
Apr 17, 2002
Beyond the Infinite
Well, the theme was "realized" but never featured. it was the reason for the name I recall they used to sell the kepi hats in the Blue Line when the team started.

Frankly, if we do rebrand the team in any fashion, we need to eliminate red and go with the 2 shades of blue.
I don’t remember anything about the kepis in the early days. Not anything Civil War-related at all, frankly. Hitchcock seemed to start all of that

Iron Balls McGinty

Aug 5, 2005
I don’t remember anything about the kepis in the early days. Not anything Civil War-related at all, frankly. Hitchcock seemed to start all of that
I remeber them being sold the first couple of years and then they went away. Too much focus on the bug. Hitchcock does deserve a lot of credit as an actual civil war history buff to help move away from that junk.

I also remember a couple of year they brought in historical re-enactors and fife and drum corps for opening night but it sort of ended there.

Toe Pick

Jun 13, 2011
Columbus, OH
To me the Red Wings logo is so great because it cleverly ties together a piece of the city's identity and history with the name of the team. By no means is this a prerequisite for a team's logo, but if it can be done tastefully you get bonus points.

Lions aren't indigenous to Detroit, but I can look at that logo and be like, "yep, they're the Lions". Therefore it's a good logo in my mind. Not amazing, but good.

Tampa is the Lightning capital of the U.S. What's just as important is that the name is an easy one to create a logo of.

I have qualms with the others you've listed, but I won't get into those.

If your criteria is to have an exact representation of the name in the logo then yeah, I can see why you don't like it. You should be pounding the table for an actual name change versus a logo b/c unless you like a literal blue jacket or some kind of civil war soldier wearing a blue jacket as a logo it's not happening.

Columbus Cannons anyone?

Reactions: NotWendell

Toe Pick

Jun 13, 2011
Columbus, OH
If your criteria is to have an exact representation of the name in the logo then yeah, I can see why you don't like it. You should be pounding the table for an actual name change versus a logo b/c unless you like a literal blue jacket or some kind of civil war soldier wearing a blue jacket as a logo it's not happening.
Example:
1659317115690.png
1659317208091.png

• Haha
Reactions: majormajor

KJ Dangler

Oct 21, 2006
Columbus
The third jerseys pull in those elements pretty well. The problem is that the Civil War aspect of the name wasn’t even realized/ marketed until about 10 years in. “Blue Jackets” had zero identity at inception other than a neon bug.
This was kind of my point in the first place as to why a rebrand should be forth coming . Nearly everyone I talk to says the cannon should be our primary jersey . The photos in the beginning of this thread are very similiar to the civil war colors . I talked about tying the whole marketing/ branding with the exciting new product that will be coming on the ice .

DJA

over the horizon radar
Sponsor
Apr 17, 2002
Beyond the Infinite
This was kind of my point in the first place as to why a rebrand should be forth coming . Nearly everyone I talk to says the cannon should be our primary jersey . The photos in the beginning of this thread are very similiar to the civil war colors . I talked about tying the whole marketing/ branding with the exciting new product that will be coming on the ice .
And I also mentioned that the cannon logo is fine for a third jersey.

Hello Johnny

Apr 13, 2007

Columbus Cannons anyone?
I think I've laid out my thoughts on this ad nauseam and would just be repeating myself at this point.

Halberdier

May 14, 2016
Hopefully not for a long time

There’s nothing wrong with the current look
Nothing really wrong except one of the most generic and least exciting looking NHL logos ever. It's not only generic, but really busy too. The idea to have an Ohio flag to form a "C" is not bad, but then there is a big star in the middle so nobody can really read that C unless they know it's there, and that makes the logo look just a generic "here is a logo with star and a flag", for a team, that should be Columbus Blue Jackets.

The Cannon logo is nice, though it should be simpler if it was used as a primary logo.

Aaaarrgghh

Jul 17, 2022
To me, the CBJ uniform (pants included) is one of the more recognisable and good-looking in the NHL. It's a bit of a reverse of the Canadiens' (though, crucially, not entirely), which I also hold very highly. It's simple and clean, which appeals to me.

I think that the appeal of the third uniform with the cannon has to do with it being something a bit different to the standard one. To me, though, it's a bit bland and too similar to the Jets' (exchanging white for cream isn't that radical a difference).

The logo I don't have anything against, but it's not great, so there I think you could make a change. But I'm not convinced by the suggestions in the OP.

Reactions: thebus88 and LJ7

Viqsi

"that chick from Ohio"
Oct 5, 2007
40N 83W (approx)
Which other thirds looked like the Blues prior to them releasing that design? Only other one I can think of is the Penguins original winter classic jersey which came out in 2008 (same year as the Blues' thirds).

Jackets are the only one still using this design as far as I can tell and I don't think it's as universally loved as folks in this thread are making it out to be.
I'm more referring to the striping and color placement - "shoulder yoke and elbow stripes". The logo being circular with a wordmark doesn't really register as significantly distinctive to me.

Personally, I think for the sake of continuity, the one design element that should always be present in any full-time Jackets jersey is the arm-length shoulder yoke. That's been there from Day 1 (altho admittedly only in the whites at first) and I think it's underutilized.

* * *​
Personally I wouldn't mind a redesign. I like the logo more than the average person, but I'd still say it's in bottom half of the league.

See prior post re: "Toronto is great while Tampa Bay is awful".

The O6 logos, from a strict design perspective, are tremendously overrated. But from a recognition standpoint, they get a lot of props simply because they've had one hell of a head start - half a century to a century in some cases.

* * *​
The third jerseys pull in those elements pretty well. The problem is that the Civil War aspect of the name wasn’t even realized/ marketed until about 10 years in. “Blue Jackets” had zero identity at inception other than a neon bug.
Technically, it did have that identity early on - take a close look at what Stinger's wearing in that original logo - but folks kept overlooking it because, well, all they saw was the neon bug; they paid no attention to its uniform. When we were obliged to pivot away from just leaning on the mascot in the logo, more emphasis on the Civil War part independent of same started coming out.

EDIT: For reference:
1659376473414.png

That there's a Union Army uniform.

EDIT 2: Also, my headcanon insists that Stinger in particular was chosen because of the Cincinnati Stingers and you'll never convince me of anything other than that.

* * *​
He didn't start it per se, but he did push for more recognition of same.

Last edited:

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018

* * *​

See prior post re: "Toronto is great while Tampa Bay is awful".

The O6 logos, from a strict design perspective, are tremendously overrated. But from a recognition standpoint, they get a lot of props simply because they've had one hell of a head start - half a century to a century in some cases.

* * *​

The O6 are sort of grandfathered in, but that still doesn't explain away the fact that the Jackets main logo is ranked below most other logos adopted in the last 10-20 years. It really shouldn't be that surprising either, the Ohio flag means nothing to most people. A star for being the state capital? That's your identity, really? There's 50 of them!

Kudos to you if you like it. I'm just saying we should expect most people to see it as meaningless or generic.

Viqsi

"that chick from Ohio"
Oct 5, 2007
40N 83W (approx)
The O6 are sort of grandfathered in, but that still doesn't explain away the fact that the Jackets main logo is ranked below most other logos adopted in the last 10-20 years. It really shouldn't be that surprising either, the Ohio flag means nothing to most people. A star for being the state capital? That's your identity, really? There's 50 of them!

Kudos to you if you like it. I'm just saying we should expect most people to see it as meaningless or generic.
Yeah, well, f*** those guys. :D

Hello Johnny

Apr 13, 2007

I've done some more thinking on this, and while I am clearly in agreement with you philosophically, there's one thing that I hadn't thought about: the power of marketing Ohio stuff to Ohioans.

Most of us are incredibly proud to be from here. I know I'm a huge sucker for merch that pertains to Ohio (not really the flag per se, but I digress).

It aligns with a principle I follow in my own work: Know your audience, serve your audience.

Since it may be hard to market an obscure team in an obscure city playing an obscure sport to the masses, hone in on the audience you already have. But you gotta lean into it. Market the Blue Jackets as Ohio's Hockey Team. Make it your goal to make every Ohioan a CBJ fan.

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
I've done some more thinking on this, and while I am clearly in agreement with you philosophically, there's one thing that I hadn't thought about: the power of marketing Ohio stuff to Ohioans.

Most of us are incredibly proud to be from here. I know I'm a huge sucker for merch that pertains to Ohio (not really the flag per se, but I digress).

It aligns with a principle I follow in my own work: Know your audience, serve your audience.

Since it may be hard to market an obscure team in an obscure city playing an obscure sport to the masses, hone in on the audience you already have. But you gotta lean into it. Market the Blue Jackets as Ohio's Hockey Team. Make it your goal to make every Ohioan a CBJ fan.

It certainly grades better by that metric but nothing makes me more proud of Ohio than the Union Army. Maybe Astronauts? Manufacturing? Gimme a dude hammering some steel.

Flags and stars and stuff has the opposite effect on me.

Hello Johnny

Apr 13, 2007
It certainly grades better by that metric but nothing makes me more proud of Ohio than the Union Army. Maybe Astronauts? Manufacturing? Gimme a dude hammering some steel.

Flags and stars and stuff has the opposite effect on me.
Couldn't agree more, just trying to find the line of best fit.

koteka

Jan 1, 2017
Central Ohio

There are certain places where people often wear clothing about the state. Colorado is such a state. You see people in shirts or hats with the red C around a gold circle from the flag. California and Texas are a couple of other states where the people (or maybe tourists) really seem to do this. Ohio certainly fits into that category.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad