How soon before we see a Jersey/ Logo rebrand?

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
Our cannon jerseys are gorgeous and very popular around the league. We don't need new designs, just make those the main jersey. I'm just waiting for the team to give up and drop the swirling stars and stripes. It ranks at the bottom leaguewide in popularity, no one knows or cares about your state flag. It just contributes to the "generic" vibe of the Jackets identity. We have a whole unique brand that we are underutilizing.

KJ Dangler

Oct 21, 2006
Columbus
Winning changes everything. This team wins games and wins respect you'd be amazed at how much uniforms and logos gain respect to go with them

How many of those polls have Detroit's horrible winged wheel ranked highly? It is a team that has a history of winning and therefore the logo gained respect over the years.
I agree, but totally expect the cannon logo to become our primary in the coming years. I think we are going to see a real push to start marketing these players , as well as an effort in conveying meaning behind the franchise name.

Our cannon jerseys are gorgeous and very popular around the league. We don't need new designs, just make those the main jersey. I'm just waiting for the team to give up and drop the swirling stars and stripes. It ranks at the bottom leaguewide in popularity, no one knows or cares about your state flag. It just contributes to the "generic" vibe of the Jackets identity. We have a whole unique brand that we are underutilizing.
My guess is that if a poll was put on twitter, or the organization decides to poll the public , going to the cannon logo would win hands down . And you hit the nail on the head, appealing outside of Ohio, having branding that tells your story . Which is why I think they ditched the red pants on the road jerseys.. another step closer to a rebrand.

Last edited:
Reactions: majormajor

koteka

Jan 1, 2017
Central Ohio
I want a Serpent Mound alternative jersey.

1659295606366.png

Iron Balls McGinty

Aug 5, 2005
If they become the main jersey they will be less special. I think they are extremely nice, but only as an alternate jersey and still aren't as highly thought of as some people think. They are still extremely bland to be used as a main jersey.

It's sort of like how I used to crave Yuengling and would occasionally actually drive to PA to buy some. Once it became available in Ohio I stopped drinking it. I moved on to something else.

Hello Johnny

Apr 13, 2007
If I may ask, why do people think our current logo is good enough?

My critiques:
State Flag – seriously, who gives a shit about any state flag? It’s lazy and only people from Ohio could identify it.

Star – represents the state capital. Again, lazy.

“C” shape – don’t totally hate the idea but it could be better.

I’ve mentioned before, I believe the main logo is an A+ secondary logo or shoulder patch. But it gives zero identity to the club. Your main logo should represent your team’s identity IMHO.

Frankly I can live with what we have. It’s fine. I just think it could be markedly improved upon.

Hello Johnny

Apr 13, 2007
Winning changes everything. This team wins games and wins respect you'd be amazed at how much uniforms and logos gain respect to go with them

How many of those polls have Detroit's horrible winged wheel ranked highly? It is a team that has a history of winning and therefore the logo gained respect over the years.
I think Detroit’s logo is among the best in all of sports and it has nothing to do with their winning history.

DJA

over the horizon radar
Sponsor
Apr 17, 2002
Beyond the Infinite
As mentioned in the other recent thread when this was brought up, there will be no rebrand for the foreseeable future when the team is spending millions on the locker room renovations with the current logo as the centerpiece.
1659297191287.jpeg

KJ Dangler

Oct 21, 2006
Columbus
As mentioned in the other recent thread when this was brought up, there will be no rebrand for the foreseeable future when the team is spending millions on the locker room renovations with the current logo as the centerpiece. View attachment 573795
Those panels look to be easily replaceable , keep the bottom one if it becomes your shoulder patch . The locker room was done per survey results from the players , as part of trying to be first class to your players here , so even if a rebrand was pencilled in to occur in the future, they would have still completed the locker room this summer .

I take it your not a fan of stinger 😂

DJA

over the horizon radar
Sponsor
Apr 17, 2002
Beyond the Infinite
Those panels look to be easily replaceable , keep the bottom one if it becomes your shoulder patch . The locker room was done per survey results from the players , as part of trying to be first class to your players here , so even if a rebrand was pencilled in to occur in the future, they would have still completed the locker room this summer .
Who is a fan of Stinger other than 5 year olds?

Rebrand isn’t happening any time soon, don’t know what to tell you

Hello Johnny

Apr 13, 2007
But the Ohio state flag and a star is lazy?
To me, yes.

The goal of a logo is to say as much as possible without saying too much. If you look at the winged wheel, one can be given an idea of what this team is called. It hits it right on the nose.

With ours, I can deduce that it’s a team from Ohio, but that’s only because I know the state flag. If I don’t know what the flag represents, how can I know what the team represents?

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018

I wouldn't mind Stinger so much if it didn't lend to the confusion of the Blue Jackets with insects. I think you need a mascot like that for the kids but hopefully they get one that doesn't contribute to the brand identity problem.

Boomer is just an awesome mascot in my opinion. A little more R rated but that's a plus for me. :D

DJA

over the horizon radar
Sponsor
Apr 17, 2002
Beyond the Infinite
To me, yes.

The goal of a logo is to say as much as possible without saying too much. If you look at the winged wheel, one can be given an idea of what this team is called. It hits it right on the nose.

With ours, I can deduce that it’s a team from Ohio, but that’s only because I know the state flag. If I don’t know what the flag represents, how can I know what the team represents?
The problem is that the Blue Jackets team name was decided on before anyone knew what the hell it meant, so the meaning/identity has changed over the years. There is nothing you can put on a jersey that will beat anyone over the head that clearly represents “Blue Jackets” short of a sport coat for a crest.

Hello Johnny

Apr 13, 2007
The problem is that the Blue Jackets team name was decided on before anyone knew what the hell it meant, so the meaning/identity has changed over the years. There is nothing you can put on a jersey that will beat anyone over the head that clearly represents “Blue Jackets” short of a sport coat for a crest.
Oh, absolutely. The name is tricky to form an identity around with a logo without spelling it out, which is what our alternate does. It’s not perfect but it provides context.

Don’t get me wrong, I’m very proud of the role our state played in the civil war. You just have to get creative with the image. The cannon and the kepi allude to it decently well, so that’s where I would gravitate towards.

DJA

over the horizon radar
Sponsor
Apr 17, 2002
Beyond the Infinite
Oh, absolutely. The name is tricky to form an identity around with a logo without spelling it out, which is what our alternate does. It’s not perfect but it provides context.

Don’t get me wrong, I’m very proud of the role our state played in the civil war. You just have to get creative with the image. The cannon and the kepi allude to it decently well, so that’s where I would gravitate towards.
And I’m happy to keep that on the alternate jerseys.

Hello Johnny

Apr 13, 2007
And I’m happy to keep that on the alternate jerseys.
Totally fair.

Just from a branding perspective I believe it is best to have your primary logo, your face to the world, as something that any person could look at and garner an idea of what it represents.

Right now it is too niche in the sense that it makes perfect sense to people from Ohio, but little sense to anyone else.

I’ll love this team regardless of the logo.

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
I guess this needs to be our logo then.

View attachment 573820

This all goes back to the fact our team name is kind of dumb and almost impossible to represent with a logo.

I don't think literally representing the name is what you want either. I love that the cannon logo alludes to the Blue Jackets' union army identity without beating anyone over the head with the name. I like that it fleshes out the idea.

Hello Johnny

Apr 13, 2007
I guess this needs to be our logo then.

View attachment 573820

This all goes back to the fact our team name is kind of dumb and almost impossible to represent with a logo.
Where have I suggested that our logo literally needs to be a blue jacket to convey our identity? I’ve submitted that the cannon and kepi are both fine representations.

My whole point is that the logo tells us nothing other than that the team is in Ohio, and that you need to know what our state flag is in order to deduce that. It’s simply lost on many people which is not a good branding strategy.

I agree that the name isn't great because it leads to the question, "what is a Blue Jacket?”. The Canucks have a similar problem.

Jaxs

Jul 4, 2008
I like the current logo, and the blue pants-full time would be ok too. Not sure why logo it is lazy or generic. People that don't understand the main logo who aren't from OH should maybe investigate it a little or we could consider them lazy. Win the cup and nobody will want a rebrand. I'm sure most NHL fans could pick the CBJ jersey out of a lineup!

Reactions: Fro

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad