How do you fix the Wings?

Steve Yzerlland

Jul 18, 2018
I think this is overstated. I started regularly watching the Wings the season Yzerman was named captain. I've been a massive fan of his as a player his whole career. But it's not like I evaluate his GM moves thinking "remember that time he scored the OT goal against St. Louis?" I think it's probably his work as GM in Tampa that gets him more leeway. We've all seen that great players don't always make the best coaches and GMs.

I think one of the better things Yzerman has done is avoided making flashy moves that cripple a rebuild (see: nearly every other team rebuilding). Honestly it feels like there's a good chance this season may be a step backwards in terms of the playoffs, which would suck, but will hopefully continue laying the foundation for a Cup competitive team for several years.
Dude it's been 6 years...

Lazlo Hollyfeld

The jersey ad still sucks
Mar 4, 2004
Dude it's been 6 years...
Yzerman was named GM of the Wings in April of 2019. It is June of 2024.

As has been repeated ad nauseaum, the Wings had multiple bad contracts, a virtually empty prospect pool due to years of bad drafting, and when they did truly bottom out it was a weak draft year where they also got screwed in the lottery.

The haven't had a top 3 draft pick since 1990, versus a team like the Sabres that has had two 1st overall picks in the last six years.

Steve Yzerlland

Jul 18, 2018
Yzerman was named GM of the Wings in April of 2019. It is June of 2024.

As has been repeated ad nauseaum, the Wings had multiple bad contracts, a virtually empty prospect pool due to years of bad drafting, and when they did truly bottom out it was a weak draft year where they also got screwed in the lottery.

The haven't had a top 3 draft pick since 1990, versus a team like the Sabres that has had two 1st overall picks in the last six years.
If they miss the playoffs next year wish you presumed they would how many years would it be?

Learn to count
What's the earliest they can make it? And how many years would that be? You tell me then teach me how to count.

Lazlo Hollyfeld

The jersey ad still sucks
Mar 4, 2004
If they miss the playoffs next year wish you presumed they would how many years would it be?

What's the earliest they can make it? And how many years would that be? You tell me then teach me how to count.

You used past tense. Do you typically do that for things in the future?

It's not like I'm happy they've missed the playoffs that long. It's why I couldn't bring myself to root for the Oilers after the dumpster fire Holland left in Detroit. But I think overall Yzerman is doing a good job and don't really have ideas for what path he could've taken that would be better.

Steve Yzerlland

Jul 18, 2018
You used past tense. Do you typically do that for things in the future?

It's not like I'm happy they've missed the playoffs that long. It's why I couldn't bring myself to root for the Oilers after the dumpster fire Holland left in Detroit. But I think overall Yzerman is doing a good job and don't really have ideas for what path he could've taken that would be better.
The earliest it can be is 6 years since he took the job but I see you guys rather talk about this instead of the mediocre results he has had instead. To my point that if he had no legacy with the red wings prior to this we collectively would be a lot more frustrated.

norrisnick

The best...
Apr 14, 2005
The earliest it can be is 6 years since he took the job but I see you guys rather talk about this instead of the mediocre results he has had instead. To my point that if he had no legacy with the red wings prior to this we collectively would be a lot more frustrated.
Yet people still champion Holland around here.

There is nothing reasonable Yzerman, or any other hypothetical GM could have done to get the Wings any further any faster.

Steve Yzerlland

Jul 18, 2018
Yet people still champion Holland around here.

There is nothing reasonable Yzerman, or any other hypothetical GM could have done to get the Wings any further any faster.
Not sure about this. And no I don't have the answer but if you told me the earliest we would make the playoffs is 2025 on the day he got the job I would not be saying that would be a "good" job.

norrisnick

The best...
Apr 14, 2005
Not sure about this. And no I don't have the answer but if you told me the earliest we would make the playoffs is 2025 on the day he got the job I would not be saying that would be a "good" job.
I mean some would have you believe Chiarot and Petry are the answer so maybe he could have acquired them sooner? I have my doubts about that moving the needle though...

Steve Yzerlland

Jul 18, 2018
I mean some would have you believe Chiarot and Petry are the answer so maybe he could have acquired them sooner? I have my doubts about that moving the needle though...
The Copp, Holl signings were his worst moments. His first round drafting has been good so far. Trades have been good. I just thought we would be a team that made it at least once by now and then trending toward cup contention by 26,27 doesn't seem like that's realistic now.

Redwing66

Oct 3, 2020
He said Simon needs to understand that he has to earn his place in the lineup. I don’t think it is a good look when the GM is phrasing it this way.
Especially when we can witness the other dead wood on the roster - the thing holding some of those kids back are bad contracts handed to old guys that don't move the needle. Ed was the best playing defender when called up last year so maybe we can slow roll the kid must earn it attitude. The conversation should be I need to stop giving the Justin Holl's of the world $10.2Mill for the next 3 years.

Inspiration

Jul 10, 2013
Sounds we're in for Ullmark alongside the Golden Knights.
Outside of the DeBrincat deal (which was an unusual situation with DeBrincat forcing his way to Detroit), seeing the Red Wings linked to a potential trade in the media is generally a good sign that Yzerman won't be trading for that player.

Said another way, I think the only time you typically hear about Detroit in trade rumors is when they allow themselves to be used as leverage to drive up the price a divisional rival would have to pay (in this case, Ottawa).

Last edited:

jkutswings

hot piss hockey
Jul 10, 2014
Ullmark sounds expensive, and then you would have to give him 7 mil per.
And? If my options are to pay a great goaltender or to continue to run mediocre bandaids out there, I'm paying the guy who can actually stop pucks for more than a month or two before turning into a pumpkin.

Yzerman might want to let all these kids learn on a team where it's not a guarantee of a goal against the moment they make a mistake.

Jul 30, 2005
I mean, what is location, really
Ullmark sounds expensive, and then you would have to give him 7 mil per.
And you maybe get him for what, one contract? Just seems like bad value. This team needs an elite goalie in 3 years and on, Ullmark doesn't really fit that window.

Like if it's really burning a hole in your pocket, get somebody cheaper like Gibson. Or even cheaper still, I bet you can get Elvis for free.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad