2026 FIFA World Cup Ticket Thread (Advice, Timelines, Discussion)

• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

GabeTravels

ME > MN > GA
Sponsor
Nov 24, 2011
Marietta, GA
I wanted to create a separate thread to discuss ticketing for the 2026 FIFA World Cup.

This is NOT a Ticket Resale Thread.

I've been to the last 4 World Cups (Russia 2018, France 2019, Qatar 2022, and Australia/New Zealand 2023).

I wanted to share my experience here with discussions on how the ticketing process works. I'll answer any questions to the best of my ability. There's always a possibility things change for 2026, but FIFA has been consistent for the last several cycles, so I don't think so. While things worked similarly for the Women's World Cups, I am going to leave that to the side for now.

Ticketing works in Phases. FIFA runs the show for the vast majority of tickets, but do allow countries to allocate a percentage of tickets for their own supporters. More on that later.

The important thing to note is FIFA does not release all tickets at once, instead going with a tiered approach. So if you are unsuccessful in getting tickets for a match initially, all is not lost.

For 2018, Phase 1 began on 14 Sep 2017, 9 months before kickoff.

For 2022, Phase 1 began on 19 Jan 2022, 9 months before kickoff.

Phase 1A lasted approximately 1 month. Fans could submit their interest online for any and all matches they wished to attend. It did not matter what day during that Phase requests were submitted; the results are a lottery.

After the conclusion of Phase 1A, applicants were told which matches they won the right to purchase, and had a short period to do so.

Phase 1B followed shortly after (about 2-3 weeks later). This is a first come, first serve period that lasts for about 2 weeks. Again, not all tickets are allocated in this Phase.

Phase 2 is similar, a random draw followed by a first come, first serve phase.

For 2018, Phase 2 began on 1 Dec 2017, 6 months before kickoff.

For 2022, Phase 2 began on 5 Apr 2022, 7 months before kickoff.

After both of these Phases, FIFA then runs Phase 3, a Last Minute Sales period. This period is entirely first come, first serve, and all remaining tickets go up for sale.

For 2018, Phase 3 began on 18 Apr 2018 and ran until the conclusion of the tournament.

For 2022, Phase 3 began on 27 Sep 2022 and ran until the conclusion of the tournament.

FIFA also runs a Ticket Resale that opens around the same time as Phase 3. FIFA allows people to put up for resale (at face value +5%) any ticket that they have and do not wish to use. Resale is also run as first come, first serve.

FIFA does check for IDs matching the name listed on the ticket, and do take this seriously. While third party resellers exist, it's not a process I would trust. (Third parties do get around this by transferring tickets to buyers in lieu of putting tickets up for Resale, but I've heard (and seen) some horror stories.)

Individuals do have a ticket limit for the tournament, but it's a fairly large number (I believe it was something like 60 tickets for 2022).

FIFA separates tickets into Categories, 1, 2, and 3.

Category 1 tickets are the most expensive and are typically in the center of the pitch, in both lower and upper decks.

Category 2 tickets are behind both goals, again in both lower and upper decks.

Category 3 tickets are typically in the corners in lower and upper decks, and are the least expensive.

There are set prices for each Category, and scale up in price as the tournament progresses, but to this point have not been priced based on the participants.

For reference, Qatar 2022's Group Stage ran approximately $75, $150, $250 for the 3 Categories.

When applying for tickets during the Lottery phases, you can select which Category you wish to purchase. To increase your chances, you can also accept a Category higher or lower. Thus, Category 2 is typically a good selection to make.

As mentioned earlier, FIFA allocates a percentage of tickets to each country participating. This is not the ONLY way to get tickets to your country's match, but it is by far the likeliest, and you aren't allowed to double dip. IE if you apply through US Soccer, you cannot also apply through FIFA for the same match.

I can only speak to how US Soccer allocates tickets, but I would presume other countries do something similar.

US Soccer has historically done a Weighted Random Draw for their Insiders Program, depending on which subscription tier you were in.

For 2022 this worked as follows:

Draw 1 (25% of the allocation) was for Circle Insiders.
Draw 2 (25% of the allocation) was for VIP and Premium/Family Insiders (Active before 12/18).
Draw 3 (25% of the allocation) was for Premium/Family Insiders (Active after 12/18).
Draw 4 (25% of the allocation) was for Standard Insiders.

Anybody not selected in a first draw would get another crack at any subsequent one.

Insider prices range from free for standard all the way up to $500+ per year for the lowest Circle membership. I currently am a Premium Insider at $45/year.

I think we'll see something very similar for 2026, but with demand high, I see them further taking Insider longevity into account. So it's definitely worth signing up ASAP if you're wanting to try and snag US match tickets. Your odds will be very low to try and snag them as a free member.

Note that only one member needs to be at the highest level to purchase tickets, but everyone in that request needs to be at least a free Insider.

Last edited:
Sep 19, 2008

Also account for LA and Seattle being the venues for team USA Group Stage and it would be a heavy dose of west coast "flavour"

Assuming they finish 1st in group ofc

GabeTravels

ME > MN > GA
Sponsor
Nov 24, 2011
Marietta, GA

Also account for LA and Seattle being the venues for team USA Group Stage and it would be a heavy dose of west coast "flavour"

Assuming they finish 1st in group ofc

Stinks for me as an Atlanta based fan, but I'm planning to travel a ton anyways for it. Would be surprised if they finished 2nd in their group.

Have friends in LA to stay with... Not so much for San Fran and Seattle though.

My (ambitious) goal is to see a match in all 16 stadiums. We'll see how that goes, haha.

Reactions: DaveG

nored

Jun 27, 2024
Hi, a Canadian here. I am planning on going to Vancouver to catch three group matches, one a Canadian game and two would be teams other than Canada. Please correct me if I'm wrong, but Canada Soccer would only have tickets for the Canadian match? For the two non-Canadian games, the only tickets set aside for Canadians would be Category 4 tickets (if they have them), there wouldn't be tickets in other categories set aside for Canadians? Thanks.

robertmac43

Forever 43!
Mar 31, 2015
Hi, a Canadian here. I am planning on going to Vancouver to catch three group matches, one a Canadian game and two would be teams other than Canada. Please correct me if I'm wrong, but Canada Soccer would only have tickets for the Canadian match? For the two non-Canadian games, the only tickets set aside for Canadians would be Category 4 tickets (if they have them), there wouldn't be tickets in other categories set aside for Canadians? Thanks.
I think there will be all categories available to everyone through the application process with Fifa. At least that was my experience with the Qatar application.

@GabeTravels may be a better bet to speak on the topic as he has gone to pre-Qatar WC. From what I gather the experience in the middle east was different then tournaments prior.

nored

Jun 27, 2024
I think there will be all categories available to everyone through the application process with Fifa. At least that was my experience with the Qatar application.

@GabeTravels may be a better bet to speak on the topic as he has gone to pre-Qatar WC. From what I gather the experience in the middle east was different then tournaments prior.
Thanks for the reply. I am referring to a selection of tickets set aside only for Canadians/North Americans just like in Qatar a selection of tickets that only Qatar residents could access.

Reactions: robertmac43

robertmac43

Forever 43!
Mar 31, 2015
Thanks for the reply. I am referring to a selection of tickets set aside only for Canadians/North Americans just like in Qatar a selection of tickets that only Qatar residents could access.
Ah yes - forgot they got their own access. Got to think we will get some kind of benefits like that as well.

GabeTravels

ME > MN > GA
Sponsor
Nov 24, 2011
Marietta, GA

Admittedly I'm flying a little blind here. You're correct that Qatar had Category 4 tickets exclusively available for their citizens/residents. I believe Australia/New Zealand had something similar for the Women's World Cup.

I don't in practice know how these work, but they were available for every match in the tournament I believe.

The only tickets you will be able to buy directly from Canada Soccer are the Canada matches. Anything else will be through FIFA. Cat 1/2/3 will be able to be purchased by anybody worldwide for any match. Cat 4 tickets (should they exist for this one) will likely only be able to be purchased by host nation residents.

GabeTravels

ME > MN > GA
Sponsor
Nov 24, 2011
Marietta, GA
I don't care where the U.S. plays but I think I'd be interested in other games. Unfortunately I suspect it's going to be extremely difficult to obtain tickets.

You'll have zero trouble whatsoever getting match tickets to other games. Other than the host nations, the tougher tickets will be from the big UEFA/CONMEBOL teams.

For example, I had zero trouble getting Tunisia/Australia, Japan/Costa Rica, Croatia/Canada and South Korea/Ghana in Phase 2 for Qatar. I bought Wales/Iran the morning of the match.

Once I sorted my flights and knew when I was arriving, I got Portugal/Ghana in October during Phase 3. That was a tougher ticket for sure (and I can't remember if it was in the resale portal or not), but there were a decent amount of tickets available.

The only team I tried to get a ticket to and couldn't was Argentina. It didn't help that I only had one match that worked with my dates/games, and they were playing Mexico (also a relatively tough ticket).

I could've bought a France/Denmark ticket via the Resale portal the day of, and even had it in my cart, but held off because the Argentina match was the same evening and I was holding out hope.

I saw knockout tickets for every match including the final be on sale regularly via the resale portal, all the way up until the day I left Doha. Not a lot of seats, but they were there.

The other thing I keep emphasizing is our stadiums for the tournament are HUGE. 6/8 stadiums in Qatar seated under 50,000 people.

Meanwhile in 2026, every single stadium in the US will seat at least 65,000 (4 over 70,000, 2 over 80,000). The 2 Canadian ones will be bigger than those 6 in Doha. Same with Mexico's 3.

That's a lot of seats. Plus we've got 40 more games on the schedule!

Everyone that wants to attend a game will be able to, I have no doubt. It may not be a power nation (or directly in the city where you live), but part of the fun of the World Cup is seeing nations from all over the world.

TheMoreYouKnow

May 3, 2007
38° N 77° W
Yeah but America is also starved for big time football. I mean people here actually pay a lot of money to see the reserves of Premier League sides on summer tour, and this will be the World Cup i.e. the 'real deal'. I don't know if Qatar is comparable at all. Not only is there much more local demand in North America, there's also going to be a lot more tourist demand given the controversies around Qatar that kept a lot of Europeans from going (and remember even though Qatar is technically a bit closer to Europe than North America is, the U.S. and Canada at least are much better connected to Europe).

I mean yeah I figure Iran vs Ivory Coast would be a reasonably obtainable ticket due to lack of local demand and lack of traveling support, but Germany v Sweden for instance would probably be a different story. I know at WC 2006, it was basically impossible to get tickets for any of the reasonably interesting matches unless you got extremely lucky (i.e. you somehow managed to connect to the server within 30 seconds of the portal opening). And though I'd travel to see a good match, I wouldn't travel halfway across the country for a game of minnows.

nored

Jun 27, 2024
Admittedly I'm flying a little blind here. You're correct that Qatar had Category 4 tickets exclusively available for their citizens/residents. I believe Australia/New Zealand had something similar for the Women's World Cup.

I don't in practice know how these work, but they were available for every match in the tournament I believe.

The only tickets you will be able to buy directly from Canada Soccer are the Canada matches. Anything else will be through FIFA. Cat 1/2/3 will be able to be purchased by anybody worldwide for any match. Cat 4 tickets (should they exist for this one) will likely only be able to be purchased by host nation residents.
Thanks, that is what I was looking for. On another forum, it mentioned the following website for detailed information on buying World Cup tickets: The World Cup Guide. The website mentions that in the bid document from 2018, a suggested price for a group match was 21 USD for Category 4 and 174 USD for Category 3. They make it clear that this is likely to change. Here's hoping that I can get Category 4 tickets if they do decide to include it.

GabeTravels

ME > MN > GA
Sponsor
Nov 24, 2011
Marietta, GA
Thanks, that is what I was looking for. On another forum, it mentioned the following website for detailed information on buying World Cup tickets: The World Cup Guide. The website mentions that in the bid document from 2018, a suggested price for a group match was 21 USD for Category 4 and 174 USD for Category 3. They make it clear that this is likely to change. Here's hoping that I can get Category 4 tickets if they do decide to include it.
Yeah and this is why I don't actually think they'll have Cat 4 tickets this time around.

The last two World Cups were in lower income countries and they wanted to have accessible tickets for residents. I don't think that's an issue this time around.

southsideIrish

Nov 23, 2019
One of Saturn's moons
People will be interested. I went to a game in 1994 (RFK Stadium, DC, Netherlands vs Saudi Arabia) and the place was packed. One of my friends' Dad was a girls soccer coach and got a bunch of tickets before we knew who was even in the match, and we snapped them up.

I can easily say it was one of the top 3 sporting events I've been to in my life and that's saying something. We were seated in the upper bowl, (most public or "American" seats were in the lower bowl) and we were in the Dutch section. Probably surrounded by about 15-20,000 Dutch. Had a fantastic time, great people. By the end of the game I was as drunk as I'd ever been, (and I just had graduated from college) went home wearing an orange Dutch kit, had no idea who I traded my US world cup shirt with, and was in love with a gorgeous blond from Rotterdam and swore I'd go with them all to Orlando for their next match, until my buddy and his Dad dragged me out of there.

Atlanta will get some games so I'm going to go no matter who's playing - maybe will get lucky and get one of the big teams. But you'll never forget the spectacle even if you don't care who wins.

Reactions: GabeTravels

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad