How do you fix the Wings?

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

wingsfan17

Jan 20, 2008
I’m super out on Ullmark. Would cost way too much. People need to look at systems and not goalies. Teams like Carolina, Vegas, Boston, etc. haven’t had bad goaltending in forever, teams like Detroit, Toronto, Buffalo, etc. haven’t had good goaltending in forever. Ullmark is not even the best goalie on the Bruins and he wouldn’t be “Boston Ullmark” here. Ned had a .932 save % the year before the wings traded for him, Husso was a .919. How did those work out? At least they were cheap and young, this would be a different story. Fix the system, fix the defense, and then worry about a long term goalie, because right now it doesn’t matter if prime Hasek is in net, so why give up a 1st +?

Roomba With a Bauer

Sep 11, 2007
It would have been hard for Yzerman to get the team any better any faster with what he was left.

That being said, I'm starting to feel a lot of concern for this off-season and beyond. At some point you have to start actually targeting marquee free agents and making actual hockey trades. A half season of Patrick Kane showcasing himself for his next contract is fun, but eventually Yzerman is going to have to stop picking through dumpsters. Our "core" is going to get sick of waiting and start demanding trades or wait out their RFA periods and bolt.

All it takes is one of Raymond/Seider looking at the parallels between how the Tigers and Wings are being run and saying "I'm only taking arbitration or a bridge contract to UFA" and the rebuild is dead. Or Larkin demanding a trade so he can win a cup before he needs a walker. Or Cossa busting and Augustine pulling a Petruzelli.

Yzerman inherited a dumpster fire but waiting for the dumpster to burn to the ground before building a new one out of Legos is not the most inspiring approach.

Edit: Cossa will likely not be an NHL starter for 3 seasons unless he blows the doors off the AHL next year. Full season starting in the AHL, one season as a backup in the NHL, one season as a 1B in the NHL. Acquiring a guy like Ullmark/Bishop/Saros and then resigning him for a few years isn't a terrible move, especially if Augustine doesn't hit and we can work it to where Cossa comes in backing up and the older goalie is willing to work in a 60/40 split when he's older. The days of NHL goalies regularly playing 65 games a season is over; you pretty much need to run two quality starters these days.

Who am I kidding, though, we're going to see Husso letting in 5 goals every game again next season.

jkutswings

hot piss hockey
Jul 10, 2014
It would have been hard for Yzerman to get the team any better any faster with what he was left.

That being said, I'm starting to feel a lot of concern for this off-season and beyond. At some point you have to start actually targeting marquee free agents and making actual hockey trades. A half season of Patrick Kane showcasing himself for his next contract is fun, but eventually Yzerman is going to have to stop picking through dumpsters. Our "core" is going to get sick of waiting and start demanding trades or wait out their RFA periods and bolt.

All it takes is one of Raymond/Seider looking at the parallels between how the Tigers and Wings are being run and saying "I'm only taking arbitration or a bridge contract to UFA" and the rebuild is dead. Or Larkin demanding a trade so he can win a cup before he needs a walker. Or Cossa busting and Augustine pulling a Petruzelli.

Yzerman inherited a dumpster fire but waiting for the dumpster to burn to the ground before building a new one out of Legos is not the most inspiring approach.

Edit: Cossa will likely not be an NHL starter for 3 seasons unless he blows the doors off the AHL next year. Full season starting in the AHL, one season as a backup in the NHL, one season as a 1B in the NHL. Acquiring a guy like Ullmark/Bishop/Saros and then resigning him for a few years isn't a terrible move, especially if Augustine doesn't hit and we can work it to where Cossa comes in backing up and the older goalie is willing to work in a 60/40 split when he's older. The days of NHL goalies regularly playing 65 games a season is over; you pretty much need to run two quality starters these days.

Who am I kidding, though, we're going to see Husso letting in 5 goals every game again next season.
Fantastic post. It's starting to feel like, "let's get just enough talent so the kids don't get their heads kicked in...then sit and wait until all the kids are in their prime". Which is a great way to waste time until disappointment eventually walks in the door.

ricky0034

Jun 8, 2010
i'm not crazy about the Wings trading a 1st for a Goalie in general but if you're gonna do it Ullmark makes way more sense than someone like Markstrom

Hawaiibros

May 18, 2017
If I’m Steve, I’m playing for Rutger.

His family is based out of Michigan, Dad is GM for the Muskegon Lumberjacks. And has played in Michigan for a while. If you can trade 15 for him you do it.

ReSign Kane and Perron. Swap Maata out for Roy and bring up the best of Kasper/mazur/danielson and let’s run it.

Rutger - larkin - Raymond
Kane - JT - Cat
Burger/Perron - copp - Ras
Fabs - Joey - mazur

Seider - walman
Edvinsson - Roy
Chariot - petry
Aljo holl

Husso
Lyon
Cossa

lilidk

Mar 4, 2008
If Kane resigned I like to see him on the same line with Kasper and if everything works out great in the end of the season have Danielson Kasper Kane line.
Seider+Raymond +Kane about 23 mil for next season, should be even less. Edvinsson already with NHL experience. Replace Gost with much better defensive defenseman

LongTimeDRWF

Feb 10, 2024
NS

The past 2 seasons, (his 1st two as a pro) Cossa has started slow in his new league (ECHL and then AHL) and finished strong. If he starts strong in the AHL right off the bat in 2024/25, I could see him up and on the wings after Christmas (before the TDL), depending upon the quality of team defense.

If the two known D-men (Ed and Al-Jo) along with whomever they get for a RD-man #2 improve the the D-men outlook and the team overall conforms to a system (supposedly Griff and wings playing a similar system) then we might see as a fixture Cossa earlier than expected. (A better schedule allowing for more practice time this year will do wonders for the team)

If they can acclimatize Cossa to the NHL this coming season rather than the following one, it would be a good thing, especially if he follows his established path, as I see the 2025/26 season as the start of playoffs or bust as the core SY team should be on the ice wearing the winged wheel and all have some experience by then.

Not saying this is the main plan, but if SY does not get a goalie this summer and runs with Husso and Lyons, I am sure it is in his mind. (Although I am still hoping for a hockey trade of Holl for Gustavsson)

Zetterberg4Captain

Aug 11, 2009
Detroit
Personally I hope Ott and Buf make significant upgrades...it'll either force our hand or improve odds of drafting high..

Both would satisfy all DRW fans...the let's get on with it and move forward now, or, the overripen and cheap vet free agent groups

Reactions: PelagicJoe

Lazlo Hollyfeld

The jersey ad still sucks
Sponsor
Mar 4, 2004
In terms of bringing in top end UFAs, you have to be a team they'll want to play for. Until then it's reclamation projects and veterans looking to ride off into the sunset.

So it's a catch-22. You want to get better and sign talented free agents, but to land talented free agents you also have to be good.

The Wings are on the way up and rebuilding their prospect pool so the Wings should be more attractive to free agents than they were a couple seasons ago.

Snuggs

Jun 24, 2018
Is that a reflection of Yzerman's work or a reflection of how barren this organization had become under Holland's tenure?
Eventually the excuses do have to stop.

Like idk if Grier gets 5 years without expectations in SJ. Or Pat Verbeek in Anaheim. Come year 5 and 6, I think they'll be expected to do something.

Last edited:

Coach Reggie Dunlop

Jun 9, 2021
Michigan
Eh I think yzerman gave himself a couple flats along the way with the contracts he handed out. Like you guys can make however many excuses you want but giving holl that contract then having edvinsson sit in the AHL the whole year was baffling. It’s a rebuild not a retool, guys like him and Berggren need to be in the NHL for better or worse. They are too good for the AHL.

SirloinUB

Aug 20, 2010
Canada
Eh I think yzerman gave himself a couple flats along the way with the contracts he handed out. Like you guys can make however many excuses you want but giving holl that contract then having edvinsson sit in the AHL the whole year was baffling. It’s a rebuild not a retool, guys like him and Berggren need to be in the NHL for better or worse. They are too good for the AHL.

Flat tire is probably a fair framing.

The way some people complain Id almost guess Holl was signed to an 8 x $10 contract rather than (what is now) a 2 year contract at 4% of the cap ceiling. At the end of the day it really isn't preventing this team from being competitive.

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010

Like idk if Grier gets 5 years without expectations in SJ. Or Pat Verbeek in Anaheim. Come year 5 and 6, I think they'll be expected to do something.
39, 48, 70, 80, 91

That’s the point totals over the last 5 years for this team, in order. Plot that onto a graph and tell me what direction it looks like it’s going in.

We also have a pretty highly rated pool of prospects (to be fair we should with the picks we’ve had).

That’s not “something”? If we flounder/regress next year I can start to get on board with the maybe we need to try something else thinking, but right now I think we have seen some pretty tangible progress.

Pizza!Pizza!

Sep 25, 2018
Is that a reflection of Yzerman's work or a reflection of how barren this organization had become under Holland's tenure?
The mess Holland inherited in Edmonton was worse than the one he left Stevie and he may just be adding another Cup ring in a few hours. Look at the drastic changes Yzerman made last off season, like 2/3rds of the starting lineup were new players, why wasn't that done years ago? We were not burdened with a horrific cap situation and plenty of bargain bin deals were available, as evidenced by moves he actually made as well as some of the 'impossible' trades/upgrades some of the cap strapped teams have made. Just go through these boards over the past few seasons and see all the threads detailing the half dozen or so teams that were "screwed" because they were so bad and completely kneecapped by a lack of prospects, draft picks, cap and boat anchor contracts. Then magically they move an unmovable contract with little permanent damage and rebound. Even Arizona was sniffing the playoffs for most of last season. This year isnt even over yet and the Kings have already escaped their PLD debacle.

I don't hate Stevie, but he is 90% to blame if this team continues to idle and miss the playoffs. The remaining 10% is due to poor officiating.

JediOrderPizza

Apr 15, 2012
Tampa, Fl
The mess.

tough.png

Rzombo4 prez

May 17, 2012

How many of your first round draft picks taken over a five or six year period are bona fide NHL regulars at the end of that period? Maybe three? It doesn't strike me as a very long period in the context of a rebuild. Perhaps you have other sources of talent that we don't know about.

Reactions: Oddbob

Roomba With a Bauer

Sep 11, 2007
lol, Holland and Edmonton.

The Hyman signing seems good because he plays with McDavid. You could put Boyd Devereaux next to McDavid and he'd score 50 goals. McDavid assisted on 35 of Hyman's goals and was on the ice for even more.

Holland taking five years to win a cup with McDavid, Draisatl, RNH, and Bouchard, who are each better players than anyone on the DRW roster, is a testament to his inability to build a team.

His drafting since taking over Edmonton also all but assures that their window will be very, very small.

Reactions: OgeeOgelthorpe

Lazlo Hollyfeld

The jersey ad still sucks
Sponsor
Mar 4, 2004
The mess Holland inherited in Edmonton was worse than the one he left Stevie and he may just be adding another Cup ring in a few hours. Look at the drastic changes Yzerman made last off season, like 2/3rds of the starting lineup were new players, why wasn't that done years ago? We were not burdened with a horrific cap situation and plenty of bargain bin deals were available, as evidenced by moves he actually made as well as some of the 'impossible' trades/upgrades some of the cap strapped teams have made. Just go through these boards over the past few seasons and see all the threads detailing the half dozen or so teams that were "screwed" because they were so bad and completely kneecapped by a lack of prospects, draft picks, cap and boat anchor contracts. Then magically they move an unmovable contract with little permanent damage and rebound. Even Arizona was sniffing the playoffs for most of last season. This year isnt even over yet and the Kings have already escaped their PLD debacle.

I don't hate Stevie, but he is 90% to blame if this team continues to idle and miss the playoffs. The remaining 10% is due to poor officiating.

Let me try and get my head around this statement.

giphy-downsized.gif

Nope. Still total bullshit.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad