How do you fix the Wings?

OgeeOgelthorpe

Riccis per 60 record holder
Feb 29, 2020
Looks like the "future considerations" might actually be something as a lot of GMs apparently had no idea Walman was being shopped.

NYR waives Trouba.
San Jose picks up Trouba.
San Jose trades Trouba to Detroit for Holl.

It fixes a gigantic hole in the lineup on RD. Edvinsson-Trouba might be the meanest pair of D in the league. The problem with that is we probably see Chiarot-Seider again.

DoMakc

Jun 28, 2006
NYR waives Trouba.

It fixes a gigantic hole in the lineup on RD. Edvinsson-Trouba might be the meanest pair of D in the league. The problem with that is we probably see Chiarot-Seider again.
The problem with that is that Trouba is basically Chiarot who is meaner and sucks more at D. I honestly rather have Holl, and if only for sake keeping trebuchet seat warm. I mean how a guy who goes on waivers and paid 8 mil is supposed to be solution

Reactions: norrisnick

OgeeOgelthorpe

Feb 29, 2020
The problem with that is that Trouba is basically Chiarot who is meaner and sucks more at D. I honestly rather have Holl, and if only for sake keeping trebuchet seat warm. I mean how a guy who goes on waivers and paid 8 mil is supposed to be solution

He's much better than Chiarot. The bashing he gets from NYR fans here is ridiculous compared to what value Trouba actually brings. The guy is still a legit good hockey player. He just goes looking for nasty hits from time to time but he's otherwise good, and is an ideal guy to run your 2nd defense pair.

I can't believe you would actually rather have Holl than Trouba.

DoMakc

Jun 28, 2006
He's much better than Chiarot. The bashing he gets from NYR fans here is ridiculous compared to what value Trouba actually brings. The guy is still a legit good hockey player. He just goes looking for nasty hits from time to time but he's otherwise good, and is an ideal guy to run your 2nd defense pair.

I can't believe you would actually rather have Holl than Trouba.
I'm so done with all "hard-to-play-against" which ends up "not-so-hard-to-score-against" bullshit. Red Wings need an actual defensemen who can defend against rush and perform zone exist, not a mean guy who on his last legs. Maybe Holl is worse, who cares, Trouba is still bad - he was dropped to 3rd pairing in playoffs. We have enough has beens who have a name recognition, but not a game anymore, let's get acutal defensemen, Roy, Walker, maybe even Pesce, Carrier or Tanev. Not Trouba.

OgeeOgelthorpe

Feb 29, 2020
I'm so done with all "hard-to-play-against" which ends up "not-so-hard-to-score-against" bullshit. Red Wings need an actual defensemen who can defend against rush and perform zone exist, not a mean guy who on his last legs. Maybe Holl is worse, who cares, Trouba is still bad - he was dropped to 3rd pairing in playoffs. We have enough has beens who have a name recognition, but not a game anymore, let's get acutal defensemen, Roy, Walker, maybe even Pesce, Carrier or Tanev. Not Trouba.

Trouba was playing with a broken ankle.

DoMakc

Jun 28, 2006
This is also false and hyperbolic. He’s a legit 30-40 point, physical defender. He’d easily be the second best D on Detroit and many teams in the league.

For starters not in Vancouver since Filip Hronek >>> Jacob Trouba.

I guess the list of those teams looks like:
- Sharks
- Chicago
- Toronto

On a serious note, he might be legit 30-40 point defender, he might be physical defender, but he is not a good defender. Even if we assume that is an upgrade on Chiarot or Petry, then at best marginal, and he does not bring what Detroit lacks/needs - disciplined, assignment sure, good skating defenseman with high panic treshold and a good first pass. And one might argue Edvinsson is going to be a better player than Trouba next year

OgeeOgelthorpe

Feb 29, 2020
So acquire a guy with less weak ankles.

Look at it like this; Trouba has been a poor man's Mo Seider in his career. Trouba is the guy that his team is leaning on for the tough defensive assignments night in, night out.

His career average starts are 44% Ozone, 56% Dzone. An 82 game average of 174 blocks per season. 169 hits per 82 games average. He may not be the best puck mover on the planet but he's good enough. And if paired with someone like Ed I think that gives him a really good puckmover on that pair to work with.

OgeeOgelthorpe

Feb 29, 2020
I'd take him at $4M, but nowhere f***ing close to $8M.

Or just sign Matt Roy for somewhere in the middle and get a guy that can actually defend.

You get what you pay for.

Trouba is a good #2 and a great #3. That's why he's paid 8 mil. Matt Roy is an ok #4 and great #5 that will be paid like a #3 on the open market because it's f***ing stupid this year.

norrisnick

The best...
Apr 14, 2005
You get what you pay for.

Trouba is a good #2 and a great #3. That's why he's paid 8 mil. Matt Roy is an ok #4 and great #5 that will be paid like a #3 on the open market because it's f***ing stupid this year.
Then why pray tell do the Rangers apparently want to be rid of him? They can keep him. But there is nothing about Trouba I like. Too much ass over teakettle lunging at a guy because he can't f***ing skate.

Roy is a flat out better defenseman than Trouba. Trouba has a shot and goes nuts on hits, but he's just as overrated and overpaid as Rob Blake was back in the day. Flash, but little substance.

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland
This is also false and hyperbolic. He’s a legit 30-40 point, physical defender. He’d easily be the second best D on Detroit and many teams in the league.

8.0M Trouba is a problem, but 2.5M Trouba is a solution. (after a possible buyout)

Not gonna ever forced to be at big role, behind Seider carryin the right side.

Lazlo Hollyfeld

The jersey ad still sucks
Mar 4, 2004
NYR waives Trouba.

Edvinsson as part of the meanest pair? What am I missing?

I was really happy with this play but you make him sound like Gudas. When from what I saw he needs to bulk up this offseason because anytime he tried to play physical he mostly bounced off guys. Seider plays much chippier than Ed.

sepster

Gerard Gallant is my Spirit Animal
Aug 19, 2005
North of the 'D"
This argument is funny.

Let Ghost walk, get rid of Holl, trade Maatta, and then get Trouba and Roy.

Bingo bango problem solved. Yzerman needs to get two top-4 D this off-season if he intends on not tanking next year.

This was the exact plan that was laid out when the "Walman alienated himself and is on his way out" news/speculation was put out a couple months ago. The goal is to swap Walman, Holl, and possibly Maata out, promote Edvinsson and Johansson, and then bring in two legitimate Top-4 Dmen that will be around for 4-5 years.

Yzerman has said several times now he expects Edvinsson and Johansson to be on the roster in the fall. Now, he's dumped Walman. Let's see if he is able to execute the remainder of the plan.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad