How do you fix the Wings?

Roomba With a Bauer

Sep 11, 2007
They will not buy Husso out. That's nonsense.

His bad level has always been connected to injuries.

A) If he is healthy he will play and he will play at good level.
B) if he is not healthy, LTIR is the way, and no buyout idiotism needed.
Whether through injury or bad play, the guy has done nothing at the NHL level to indicate that he can hold down a starter's job.

1000018496.jpg

Snuggs

Jun 24, 2018
They will not buy Husso out. That's nonsense.

His bad level has always been connected to injuries.

A) If he is healthy he will play and he will play at good level.
B) if he is not healthy, LTIR is the way, and no buyout idiotism needed.
I think this is his destiny.

I'd like to think Wings could ship him off somewhere but, lower back injuries rarely heal or don't linger. Idk his real injury, but lower back/spinal is bad news for a goalie and almost always spells the end. Maybe... it's muscular vs anything else, hopefully it was/is and all's he needs is rest for his career's sake.

LongTimeDRWF

Feb 10, 2024
NS
I definitely get the temptation. Personally I’d play things out with Lyon and Husso, even though I’m sober about how rocky that could potentially get. I just don’t want to risk putting Cossa in a spot like Levi this year where you kinda jerk him around. I think he made good strides in the AHL this year, I think another year will help too. Don’t necessarily expect the numbers to rocket up, but I think he’ll continue to make physical gains in a less demanding schedule the NHL, and it seems like the rapport he has with his coach has been really valuable too.

There’s no real way we as fans will know, but brass is probably having frank conversations with the medical team about how realistic it is that we get say 25-30 games outta Husso this year. If he can get there, I think the current combo can probably float us through this season. Otherwise, we will need a third goalie on deck.

Glad to see you’re coming around on Sebustian tho :sarcasm:
I suspect if Husso is healthy at all, the wings will run with Lyons and Husso, with Cossa or a cheap plug as the #3. The wings will not look for a long term starter unless SY figures they are way ahead on his timeline (which I doubt).

Lyons played I think 44 games last year with his first being game 24 of the season? If so, he play in 44/59 potential games in 2023/24. Simple math projects that to be 61 games in a 82 game season, and the wings had a crazy schedule after the Sweden trip. Newsy wore him out, I think he'll be fine with a better usage schedule, but under a more traditional 1A/B balance.

If they can get 40ish games from Lyons over an 82 games season at a reasonable usage and 30ish from Husso (or vice versa) it still gives some cup of coffee games for Cossa.

The real risk of not signing some veteran help between the pipes, is if Husso and/or Lyons goes out for the season, then what? If no one else, run with Cossa as the 1B, he will learn and grow as he has shown over the past couple of years.

The wings will regress in standings, but it may help long term team growth.

If SY is going for a 3 headed goalie approach, then I think his best bet is to circle back on a hockey trade to send Holl back home to Minni (he doesn't fit the wings system) and get Gustavsson, but if Husso is good to go, likely not needed, but honestly, if SY could pull that off, it will improve the wings.

If we still have 3 healthy goalies at the TDL, look to trade one (or two) of the expiring contract ones, playoffs should be a goal this coming season, but its not playoffs or bust, the wings are still building and a few years away from being serious cup contenders, but I would expect them to be regular playoff team by 2025/26.

jkutswings

hot piss hockey
Jul 10, 2014
Just for kicks, I asked on the Bruins board whether the team would be willing to deal with Detroit in an Ullmark trade, and what sort of return it might take.

Assuming the player and the team would be ok with him going to the Wings and also signing an extension, so far it seems like this year's 1st rounder plus Berggren could get it done.

A giant list of hypotheticals, but I would do that deal in a heartbeat.

Holden Caufield

Oct 9, 2020
Ontario
Not like Yzerman would tell you if he was close to extending guys or ready for a trade.. so basically zero news.
A few goalie breadcrumbs though…

Husso is healthy (No LTIR) and said he does not intend to carry 3 goalies on the roster next season.

Also said he doesn’t want to acquire a goalie that won’t be here in 2-3 years.

Read into that what you will.

DTR

Dec 13, 2021

Husso is healthy (No LTIR) and said he does not intend to carry 3 goalies on the roster next season.

Yeah based on his comments on goalies I think he will look at guys like Ullmark or Saros if he can sign them. I would say it’s a good indication he wasn’t in on Markstrom, and has no interest in Gibson.

Dotter

THE ATHLETIC IS GARBAGE
Jul 2, 2014
Imprisonment, TN
goo.gl
To make the playoffs next season, Wings need solid goaltending. Whether or not that's Husso, that's the 5 million dollar question. Husso is capable *IF healthy.

1a. Goaltending
1b. Team toughness / win puck battles (they suckedddd last season!)
2. Dman to help alleviate pressure from Seider (fix within/Edvinsson)
3. Better bottom six (fix within / Berggren - or trade Bergs for toughness)
4. PMD to enhance possession game (fix within/Edvinsson)
5. Top 6 center (fix within when Danielson comes into his own)
6. Top 6 two-way power-forward winger

Offense is at the bottom of the list of "needs" to make the playoffs. Focus on that when the most important stuff above is addressed.

Wings do NOT need any undersized soft players.

MBN @ 15th overall will be a great selection. It will help fill a major hole and he'll most likely be the BPA.

• Haha
Reactions: Snuggs

saska sault

Jun 5, 2010
Sault Ste. Marie

Did he do a press release or interview recently I can get the info? I must have missed it.

Zetterberg4Captain

Aug 11, 2009
Detroit
Pretty disappointed about the Seider/Raymond update. I'll admit I'm starting to get jittery about this offseason.

This offseason sets up our next few years unless fans truly think NJ, Ott and Buf are just gonna sit idly by and not look to improve..

Those teams are our direct competition...they pass us and rhe loding continues as NYR, Flor, Car, Tor, Bos, TB are not going anywhere anytime soon and Philly and Mon are not far behind

Indrid Cold

Oct 24, 2022
Would you take on Laine and swap first round picks with CJB? Get Laine + 4th overall?

(and add anything small to make the trade happen)

Oddbob

Jan 21, 2016
I think based on the price probably being lower due to stats not looking great, that Gibson should be the target. I still think his stats are reflective of Anaheim having been terribad for 3-4 seasons now. Whenever I watch Anaheim highlights they are giving up boatloads of chances many of which are high quality and dangerous. I think we are improving and he will be a good starter for us until Cossa is ready.

Reactions: Henkka

datsyukfan

Jul 5, 2007
I think based on the price probably being lower due to stats not looking great, that Gibson should be the target. I still think his stats are reflective of Anaheim having been terribad for 3-4 seasons now. Whenever I watch Anaheim highlights they are giving up boatloads of chances many of which are high quality and dangerous. I think we are improving and he will be a good starter for us until Cossa is ready.
Ya I’d be in on Gibson if it meant moving Husso out to them. Maybe if we are lucky we could dump holl + Husso + a 2nd + b prospect for Gibson

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad