How do you fix the Wings?

Lazlo Hollyfeld

The jersey ad still sucks
Mar 4, 2004
He scored like 2 goals in the last 20 games of the season and we missed the playoffs by one point?

The Wings missing the playoffs by a point somehow makes DeBrincat a bust?

He had virtually identical production to his season with the Sens while being better defensively and with more points coming at even strength. That's not a bust.

When he first got to Detroit I was loving his shoot-first mentality. Then when they added Kane he got weirdly deferential to him. His go-to move became locating Kane on the ice.

Assuming Kane isn't coming back, hopefully DeBrincat will get back to that shoot first mentality.

jkutswings

hot piss hockey
Jul 10, 2014
The goalie problem is a mind bender TBH.
There is no easy answer for the brass.

Free agent market is a disaster. In general there seems to be a huge lack of goaltending talent in the NHL. So even if they come available there will be fierce competition in acquiring them.

And there is nothing harder then getting rid of a bad goalie with a price tag… which we have saddled ourselves with.
I'd start by seeing if either the Bruins or the Islanders are willing to part with anybody from their very good tandems. Then maybe look to trade for a decent guy who either had a down year or wants a change of scenery from a team falling apart. They don't need a super long term answer, just a guy to coexist with Lyon until Cossa and/or Augustine is ready.

If they can find a decent player to add, ditching Husso isn't an issue. 1) LTIR if possible. 2) Staple a pick to him and see if a cap floor team wants him. 3) Buy him out if you have to.

Holden Caufield

Oct 9, 2020
Ontario
I'd start by seeing if either the Bruins or the Islanders are willing to part with anybody from their very good tandems. Then maybe look to trade for a decent guy who either had a down year or wants a change of scenery from a team falling apart. They don't need a super long term answer, just a guy to coexist with Lyon until Cossa and/or Augustine is ready.

If they can find a decent player to add, ditching Husso isn't an issue. 1) LTIR if possible. 2) Staple a pick to him and see if a cap floor team wants him. 3) Buy him out if you have to.
Ullmark would be great. I’d expect a lot of interest and a much higher price tag than Markstrom though. And people can’t seem to wrap their heads around that price. (He has a 16 team no trade list, so might not even be a real possibility)

LTIR only works if Husso wants to play along. Husso is young enough, with enough potential years in front of him, that I doubt he would be interested. Can always swallow the buyout pill. But never easy going to the owner with tail between the legs on that one. (Might be the best play though)

jkutswings

hot piss hockey
Jul 10, 2014
Ullmark would be great. I’d expect a lot of interest and a much higher price tag than Markstrom though. And people can’t seem to wrap their heads around that price. (He has a 16 team no trade list, so might not even be a real possibility)

LTIR only works if Husso wants to play along. Husso is young enough, with enough potential years in front of him, that I doubt he would be interested. Can always swallow the buyout pill. But never easy going to the owner with tail between the legs on that one. (Might be the best play though)
I had thought he had more than one year left. With just a single season, he can get sent to Grand Rapids if need be. If they had other moves to make and approached the cap limit, it's not like they couldn't defer a bit of cash in the Seider and/or Raymond contracts.

Zetterberg4Captain

Aug 11, 2009
Detroit
Man, if Husso is healthy, he will be good again. And this time Fester should not overuse him.

Break Lyon's groin this time.

Then bring up Cossa. Never look back.

Husso isn't good enough to be a #1..

I really don't understand why Husso is suddenly being seen as an anchor on the books. It's one year guys, that's easy to make disappear if you need to.
What do you mean..? That fans are saying he is a contract albatross, or, that he simply isn't good enough(nor capable of staying healthy)

LongTimeDRWF

Feb 10, 2024
NS

Can always assign him to GR like they did for Ned, it is only 1 season.

Roomba With a Bauer

Sep 11, 2007
Markstrom going for that price to a divisional rival is disappointing.

NJD 1st next year is probably 20-25. That's one team that will almost certainly jump over DRW in the standings.

Husso/Lyon is a really good way to guarantee a top-15 pick, I guess.

Reactions: Snuggs

DoMakc

Jun 28, 2006
So first trades happen and usual suspects start losing their shit. How horrible Yzerman didn't trade assets for aging and mediocre goaltender, trying marginally improve the position.

I understand that people think that new toys will everything better, but given how bad their defense was and the fact that prime Hasek is not on a horizon, i don't think investing additionally into goaltending position is a sustainable solution. Playing better team defense, having defensmen that can skate and forward that give a shit, be more carefull with the puck in the opponent's zone and are not fully lost in their own zone will be actually a better way to improve the team.

What actually was more upsetting is Kings being able to move away from PLD and now having money to re-sign Roy. That would be really unfortunate, how Yzerman could allow it happen

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland
This idea came from the Trade board.

There was discussion, how Red Wings could fasten their rebuild, by swapping 2025 1st pick to 2024.

This is so minor teaking which doesn't really change the big picture.

What could change the big picture, is going FULL BUY with those BOTH 1st rounders for proven players which will match with the current core.

So, I went to capfriendly, thanks to that armchair GM tool and did this:

2024 1st + Jake Walman + prospect <> Martin Necas
RFA Necas signed for 7-year deal with DeBrincat caphit 7.785M

2025 1st + RFA Joe Veleno + Olli Määttä <> Nikolaj Ehlers
Ehlers 6M deal, 1 year left from UFA.

Re-sign RFA Moritz Seider, 8 years 8.5M
Re-sign RFA Lucas Raymond, 7 years 7.0M
Re-sign UFA Christian Fischer, 2 years 1.2M
Re-sign RFA Jonatan Berggren, 1 year, 1.1M
Re-sign UFA David Perron, 1 year 35+ contract, 775k minimum + 2M bonus for playing 10 games.
Re-sign UFA Austin Czarnik, 1 year, 775k
Re-sign RFA Albert Johansson, 1 year, 775k

All these contract values and terms are taken from evolving-hockey, so those are clear possibilities.

Trade values can be different and fixed, but Yzerman has been pretty bargain guy lately in these.

Trading 2 defenceman away (Määttä & Walman) will open 6.8M in cap space. This will enable to fit both Ehlers and Necas in. Also, opening slots for left-side D, will put both Edvinsson and Johansson on starting roster, or, if either will fail, we have Wallinder as spare option. All cheap ELCs.

Michael Rasmussen will move to Center and the new team will be:

DeBrincat - Larkin - Necas
Ehlers - Rasmussen - Raymond
Fabbri - Compher - Berggren
Perron - Copp - Fischer
---------------------------
Czarnik
(Kasper, Danielson, Mazur)

Chiarot - Seider
Edvinsson - Petry
Johansson - Holl
-------------------
(Wallinder) - Rafferty

775k minimum salary Brogan Rafferty travels with team as 7th D, but won't play. If there's an injury, Wallinder will be called to play.

Husso
Lyon
(Cossa)

All if this will go under the cap, and Perron bonuses will slide to next season. There's 24M cap space year after (counting Perron bonus slide), and no pressure for big raises. Fabbri, Petry, Husso coming out of the books...

1718861873056.png

Everyone is pipe dreaking in here, that we should trade our "garbage" away. Like those struggling players.

That's not gonna happen, because they don't have value. Trades are possible, when you trade players who have value, like Walman, Määttä, Veleno, Berggren.

And you use the 1st picks to complete the deals, which proably are starting points for any negotiations.

Thought Carolina could have use for a defenceman (cost-controlled Walman), because they are gonna lose Pesce or Skjei for heavy raises.

Winnipeg appreciates usually younger players, like Veleno, so they get some control for player. I don't know is Ehlers wanting out from Winnipeg as UFA, but there has been some rumours. Because it's Jets, there's maybe a higher risk to lose him as UFA. Think he would fit well as Danish guy to our Swedish group.

Heinola should need a finnish mentor, so Määttä could be ideal 3rd pair guy for them.

Last edited:

norrisnick

The best...
Apr 14, 2005
Those forwards with that D corp is an absolute waste of time and money. Chiarot, Petry, and Holl are all at least one pairing too high.

And Rasmussen is not a center.

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland
1718862489272.png

What comes to long-term look, there's that 24M in cap space for season 2025-26.

Fabbri will be gone, and that 4M could be used to Ehlers and Berggren extensions (1.5-2.0M raise for both). Also Perron will be gone.

Fabbri, Czarnik and Perron gone will open some spots to kids (Söderblom, Kasper, Danielson, Mazur).

At defence, Petry will leave and you have

24M cap space for 2025-26
- 7.5M for Ehlers
- 3.0M for Berggren
- 2.7M for 3 x 900k ELC kids
- 5M for RD upgrade (vs. Petry)
- 4M for goalie (vs. Husso)

This will leaves 11M for 2 defenceman spots and 2 goalie spots.

So there could be 5M RHD UFA defenceman added for Petry leaving, and ELC Wallinder promoted up.

And at goal, there could be 4M UFA goalie added and ELC Cossa promoted up.

And the cap math will work.

Shortly, for season 2026-27, Chiarot and Holl caphits will open 8M in cap space, also Abdelkader buyout will disappear and cap will go up 5M+ again. That's ~15M to improve the team, give Edvinsson his 2nd deal, and, as well as promoting cheap ELC kids in. Those Yzerman-draftees are really taking the torch in team depth.

There will always be cap space to improve the team, thanks to these short-term contracts. Copp contract will end at 2026-27, even that isn't any kind of long-term anchor if you fix the cap with trades from elsewhere. We can live it trough, and Kasper+Danielson will take the future roles (also from Compher).

Snuggs

Jun 24, 2018
I consider Seider elite, but if you don't think that then sure no players.

I just look at Calgary who also gave up a ton of goals like us (We gave up 274 they gave up 271) and wonder how much of a upgrade would it really be with the current defense. I just don't see this ultimate turn around with him or a Gibson.

View attachment 884510
View attachment 884511
This isn't a video game, Markstrom is a lot better than Lyon. Almost everything suggests that.

Can't wait to see how much better we'll be next year with the 15th selection.

Snuggs

Jun 24, 2018
Man, if Husso is healthy, he will be good again. And this time Fester should not overuse him.

Break Lyon's groin this time.

Then bring up Cossa. Never look back.
Husso was legitimately struggling before injury, letting in an "easy" goal almost nightly when he started. He wasn't good before the injury this year.

Reactions: flychairman

Zetterberg4Captain

Aug 11, 2009
Detroit
Those forwards with that D corp is an absolute waste of time and money. Chiarot, Petry, and Holl are all at least one pairing too high.

And Rasmussen is not a center.
Agree..

I'll just add that Husso and Lyon = another losing season.

We needan upgrade there just as much as on defence, maybe moreso

Snuggs

Jun 24, 2018
No snob in this question.

Are Red Wings better with Markstrom or better with Roy(ufa signing)?

People, many, many people seem to suggest Roy is the guy that'll fix everything on defense. So, I'm just wondering, player vs player who actually makes this team better overall.

* Could have had our cake and eaten it too(trading for Markstrom/signing Roy as aUFA.)

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad