How devastating is it losing a game 7 for the Stanley Cup?

• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

bucks_oil

Aug 25, 2005
Just wondering for those fans that have lost a game 7 how devastating was the lost?

Meh... it's not so bad unless, say, your Hall of Fame defender announces he wants to be traded 3 days later, you receive table scraps in return and descend into a decade of darkness where you don't even make the playoffs... during which, any time you have a glimmer of hope and express your enthusiasm 29 other fanbases ridicule you for having the worst management in the sport and don't understand why your fanbase might develop a bit of a defensive complex.

... but otherwise it's not that bad at all.

BPD

Jul 7, 2009
New York City
f*** Alec Martinez and Dwight King for all eternity. I will never, ever forget how much I hated losing that series. The cost in agony, time, money, energy, and for one unlucky friend of mind, losing a fight with a metal pole.

If I ran a bar in New York, Alec Martinez would have to pay for well liquor as if I were serving him Louis XIII, and Dwight King would have his receipt reviewed and tripled.

Czechboy

Češi do toho!
Apr 15, 2018
2006 and roloson injury piss me off to this day. I loved that 2006 team and it has many Czechs contributing to it as well. Best of both worlds ... Till it wasn't.lol

Reactions: gretzkyoilers

bucks_oil

Aug 25, 2005
Yes. As a kid it seemed all to easy and much more the norm. And then poof.....it was over.

And that is why I am truly relishing this. That is why when we beat Dallas I literally dropped to my knees in front of my theater screen and cried. Would probably have made for a good photo.....grown man on knees crying in front of a 176" screen. lol

BTW...1986....you have any idea how it felt losing the way we did after being as spoilt as we were? Could possibly have been 6 straight trips....

View attachment 886111

I wept when we beat Dallas as well. Could not believe it.

snag

Feb 22, 2014
I wept when we beat Dallas as well. Could not believe it.
yes....I was too lol

My wife was scornfully laughing at me. Won't shed a tear at the saddest of movies. Choke it back and fight it at funerals.

Yet here I was over a hockey team lol

Granted.....she was damn excited too....

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011
He won the cup in his first finals appearance, and he can win it in these finals, which will probably be his last

So it's like championship sandwich. Err non championship sandwich I guess
On the other side there’s Paul Maurice. Man this one is going to suck or great one way or the other. I feel for one of them.

Mike C

Jan 24, 2022
Indian Trail, N.C.
Isles didn't even make it to the Cup and I'll never get over the 1-0 loss against Tampa game 7 of the ECF.

However, losses like this build character. Don't jump ship. Stay loyal and you will eventually be rewarded.

Right?

Right???
Well, if you consider firing a Cup winning coach so you can keep the Ice Capades in town, hiring Handsome Lane as the new voice, having a goalie regress as soon as payday happened and back to back 1st round exits a reward, then you hit it right on the head!

SheldonJPlankton

Sponsor
Oct 30, 2006
1000000232.jpg

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011
Isles didn't even make it to the Cup and I'll never get over the 1-0 loss against Tampa game 7 of the ECF.

However, losses like this build character. Don't jump ship. Stay loyal and you will eventually be rewarded.

Right?

Right???
From the highs of Beauvillier’s game 6 OT goal to a 1 goal loss to face Montreal for the cup. Those things haunt you. isles have not gotten that close since that loss. You never know when you will be this close again, makes game 7’s in the cup finals unbearable if you are on the wrong side.

snag

Feb 22, 2014
As bad as a loss would suck for a fan of the team I couldn't even imagine what a player would feel. 2 months of heavy travel and working your ass off just to come up short.

...a life-long aspiration and body of work.....

PuckG

Feb 26, 2015
Obviously losing in any fashion is an absolute gut punch. But having 4 shots to win the big prize… and losing them all?

I honestly cannot fathom anything worse as a sports fan. I would be ruined.
Losing in the first round over and over again would be far worse IMO.

behemolari

worst collapse in nhl history
Dec 1, 2011
Losing in seven is the worst because you end up scrutinizing every little play in every game you lost coping about how if you got one bounce here or there it'd have ended differently. It's easy easier to lose in five and just go "welp, got our asses kicked"
nope, losing in seven while losing four in a row is worst

sucks life out of you

Perfect_Drug

Mar 24, 2006
Montreal
I'm still not really over 2006.

The Pic of Todd Harvey is etched into my gut.
Felt like losing a family pet.
1719252612041.png

This one is just different. This one feels way heavier.

It feels like this one is carrying the ghosts and memories of Ben Stetler, Joey Moss, and Colby Cave,
Fair or not, losing this one would really feel like failing them, and what they meant to this organization and this city.

Last edited:

sr edler

gold is not reality
Mar 20, 2010
It's not that big of a deal, in a way it's positive because it builds character and teaches you good life lessons.

NYI365

Let's Go Islanders!
Jun 5, 2011
Merrick, NY

Right?

Right???

To the day I die I'll never understand the choices that went on in the minds of those 3 players in the d-zone on the SHG

NVious

Dec 20, 2022
That's why being a Leafs fan is GOATed, we never have to deal with such disappointment

McGarnagle

Yes.
Aug 5, 2017
nope, losing in seven while losing four in a row is worst

sucks life out of you
I've been there and honestly don't lose too much sleep over 2010 (getting revenge the next year helped smooth that out I'm sure). Bruins were lucky to go up 3-0 in the first place, and we lost Krejci and Sturm while Philly got Gagne back so they were the better team by the end.

Losing after a 3-0 lead in game seven sucked hard at the time but in the grand scheme of things I'm way more traumatized by game seven loses in 2012, 2014, 2019, and 2023 than by 2010.

Saga of the Elk

Honoured Person
May 31, 2008
2006 and roloson injury piss me off to this day. I loved that 2006 team and it has many Czechs contributing to it as well. Best of both worlds ... Till it wasn't.lol

We got so used to losing to Dallas. But then that Detroit series happened, and every subsequent series win seemed more and more improbable. Looking back at the Canes team, it's almost a little surprising it went 7, but the Oilers had what it took to win, and beat the odds, and yeah just short. I'll always feel bad for guys like Hemsky, Smyth, and Smith.

Blows my mind that it was the last season for Lemieux, Yzerman, Robitaille, Mogliny, Hull...

I was living in New York and sleeping on a couch and couldn't find a bar that was willing to search their tv set for the "Outdoor Life Network."

Now there's a Canadian bar in my neighbourhood.

Maybe everything really is different for tonight.

Reactions: Czechboy

Czechboy

Češi do toho!
Apr 15, 2018
We got so used to losing to Dallas. But then that Detroit series happened, and every subsequent series win seemed more and more improbable. Looking back at the Canes team, it's almost a little surprising it went 7, but the Oilers had what it took to win, and beat the odds, and yeah just short. I'll always feel bad for guys like Hemsky, Smyth, and Smith.

Blows my mind that it was the last season for Lemieux, Yzerman, Robitaille, Mogliny, Hull...

I was living in New York and sleeping on a couch and couldn't find a bar that was willing to search their tv set for the "Outdoor Life Network."

Now there's a Canadian bar in my neighbourhood.

Maybe everything really is different for tonight.
It better be... losing in the finals every 18 years isn't fun.lol

Awesome story about the OLN... totally different time! Was HF even a thing in 2006?haha

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad