How devastating is it losing a game 7 for the Stanley Cup?

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Hockeyholic

Apr 20, 2017
Condo My Dad Bought Me
I can’t watch the highlights or talk about it.

I don’t know if I care more than the average person but if there’s even remote mentions of playoffs during those years or any plays, or Kunitz I try to leave the room.
As an outsider, I'm unsure which would hurt more.

One was on home ice. GWG with over 2 minutes left. Anaheim was waiting. I feel like Ducks win that series due to goaltending difference. But idk. It's weird because the Devils GWG felt eerily similar to what they did to Philadelphia a few years prior.

The other was game 7 on the road. Nashville was waiting. Home ice advantage. To me I think Ottawa takes this series. No guarantees.

In the moment, 03 seems more of a downer because that was the best team in the league. But it's not as if they got beat by just any average team.

Hockeyholic

Apr 20, 2017
Condo My Dad Bought Me
94 hurts because they were playing above their head and well I was a kid. That team had heart and gave everything. 2011 well injuries and Thomas derailed us. When your a fan waiting since 82 it's gonna sting.
I agree.

Looking back, I think the 94 team is more loved because of that underdog mentality.

The 2011 team was very good. But I never thought they were a juggernaut.

Last edited:
Reactions: Killer Orcas

snag

Feb 22, 2014
I agree.

Looking back, I think the 94 team is more loved because of that underdog mentality.

The 2011 team was very good. But I never thought they were a juggernaut.

Arguably....94 had easier to like players too :)

Hockeyholic

Apr 20, 2017
Condo My Dad Bought Me
2001 was a stomach punch since the Devils had a chance to win Game 6 at home. Being the defending champion maybe took a little bit of the sting off. Taking a step back as a hockey fan, I could appreciate Ray Bourque getting the Cup as a moment they'd show for years.

And perhaps retroactively the 2003 Cup kinda washed away memories of 2001. Maybe also helped that I was still in college so I had to focus on final exams and couldn't dwell on the loss too badly. As I remember it, Game 7 in 2001 was on a Sunday and finals week started the next day for me.
Foote goal on Brodeur.

That was the true turning point. Especially after NJ dominated and had a goal called off.

Arguably....94 had easier to like players too :)
Agreed.

In 94, I think you can say that team gave it all. Laid it on the line. Weren't pushed around.

2011 it felt like Vancouver could be intimidated. And after Sedin let Marchand punch him when the game was decided, well...I knew that was it for Vancouver. Game 7 was a formality. I thought that was a soft group who only played up to their capabilities in one series. SJ.

Reactions: snag

Son of Petter

Who wants to walk with Elias?
Jun 5, 2013
Kanata
2011 took me a LONG TIME to get over. It also made me care about the nhl less. I can’t imagine what it’s like for the players.

snag

Feb 22, 2014
2011 took me a LONG TIME to get over. It also made me care about the nhl less. I can’t imagine what it’s like for the players.

Good thing you can't just go to an arms dealership on the street corner and buy a tank ;)

Akrapovince

May 19, 2017
As an outsider, I'm unsure which would hurt more.

One was on home ice. GWG with over 2 minutes left. Anaheim was waiting. I feel like Ducks win that series due to goaltending difference. But idk. It's weird because the Devils GWG felt eerily similar to what they did to Philadelphia a few years prior.

The other was game 7 on the road. Nashville was waiting. Home ice advantage. To me I think Ottawa takes this series. No guarantees.

In the moment, 03 seems more of a downer because that was the best team in the league. But it's not as if they got beat by just any average team.
This shit hurted even reading it.

I have no way of proving this.

Generally, I think fans take it harder.
I’m not getting paid millions to lose is the difference.

To some people, hockey and sports is their escape from their normal life. To hockey players their normal life is an escape from hockey.

Also the majority of people cheer for their home town team, and that makes a big difference too imo.

njdevils1982

Hell Toupée!!!
Sep 8, 2006
North of Toronto
Get over yourself. I paid over $50,000 out of my pocket for my wife and I to have our daughter because things didn't come so easy as merely having my wife sit on my lap!! You have no idea what we went through and have no right to judge what I say because you don't know my situation, personality or coping mechanisms. So spare me your bullshit holier than thou sanctimony.

well said.

ManofSteel55

Aug 15, 2013
Sylvan Lake, Alberta
Behold, 2006 HF:

Shoutout to the “Prucha better than Crosby” thread on the Rangers board
I remember the "Marek Svatos is better than Crosby" on some boards too. Not sure if it was this one, but it certainly was a discussion on a board I was on at the time. One of the hockey card boards I think.

Voight

#winning
Feb 8, 2012
Mulberry Street
2014 was brutal... we lost in Game 7 OT to the Kings. We had the lead going into the third and didn't score another goal all game. Would've beat the Rags that year and could've possibly won three straight cups.

jkrdevil

UnRegistered User
Apr 24, 2006
Miami
It depends on what else your team does in the surrounding years. My team won the year before (2000) and then won a Game 7 two years later (2003). So 2001 doesn’t sting as much as if it would have been the Devils’ only shot. But there is still a lot of looking back and what if because winning that game would have meant winning 3 out 4 years and legit dynasty talk.

Reactions: Patrik26

Voight

#winning
Feb 8, 2012
Mulberry Street
I doubt you feel a thing. Look at the Sabres. They got jobbed by Brett hull's foot in the blue paint. Their only cup appearance. Nobody ever remembers that and if you talk to Sabres fans, they will be like, as expected, we never win a thing.

& that was a mere 6 years after the Bills made 4 straight Super Bowls and lost all of them.

Rough.

OilerTitanFan

Feb 26, 2019
& that was a mere 6 years after the Bills made 4 straight Super Bowls and lost all of them.

Rough.
Sorry about the bills. That is what you get for beating the Houston oilers coming back from 35-3. I feel no sympathy for Buffalo for what they did to Warren moon and Houston.

AlexBrovechkin8

At least there was 2018.
Sponsor
Feb 18, 2012
District of Champions
Obviously losing in any fashion is an absolute gut punch. But having 4 shots to win the big prize… and losing them all?

I honestly cannot fathom anything worse as a sports fan. I would be ruined.
The Buffalo Bills from the early 1990s say hello. Four straight Super Bowl appearances, four straight losses… and the franchise still has never won a championship.

Reactions: Voight

Star Platinum

May 11, 2024
I went and saw a movie after the Oilers lost game 7 to the Hurricanes in 06. It was all my friend and I could do to keep our minds off the devastation.

It was the remake of The Omen. There was 5 other people in the theatre and a fight almost broke out between the other attendees.

I'm realizing right this moment I am coincidentally watching The First Omen which came out a month or so ago. It's the first movie in the Omen franchise since 2006. I can't tell if this is a good omen or a bad one for tomorrow lol
You pretty much spit in the eye of superstition, don't you? LOL.

Star Platinum

May 11, 2024
Teams with no cup have fanbases who never experienced what it is like to win before. Their minds are wired to accept defeat prior to any series. If I'm a Buffalo bills fan, I'd expect to lose in the superbowl. Look at the recent history vs the chiefs. Bills found a way to choke and mahomes finds a way to lead a comeback back to back years.

In 2011, a bunch of canuck fans told me prior to playing Boston, we never expected to be here. We will be happy even if we lose.

I doubt you feel a thing. Look at the Sabres. They got jobbed by Brett hull's foot in the blue paint. Their only cup appearance. Nobody ever remembers that and if you talk to Sabres fans, they will be like, as expected, we never win a thing.
Yeah, but winning it all when you're one of those franchises is the best f***ing thing ever. And every single team I've ever rooted for has been one of those franchises and it felt awesome every single time we got that monkey off our collective backs.

Hockey is the last dragon to slay.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad