How devastating is it losing a game 7 for the Stanley Cup?

• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Rorschach

Who the f*** is Trevor Moore?
Oct 9, 2006
Los Angeles
Selling off Gretzky is the definition of pain wdym

No, that's the definition of screwing your own franchise. The Kings did nothing wrong to lose a game 7. Selling Gretzky and then feeling pain is just desserts. It's not the Kings' fault Oiler fans are still Oiler fans.

OilerTitanFan

Feb 26, 2019
LoL. Your team sold off Gretzky. There shouldn't be any pain for the Oilers EVER.
Nope, no pain since we got McDavid.

Yeah, but winning it all when you're one of those franchises is the best f***ing thing ever. And every single team I've ever rooted for has been one of those franchises and it felt awesome every single time we got that monkey off our collective backs.

Hockey is the last dragon to slay.
Imagine how it feels to be a Canucks fan. Or Sabres. Those are the 2 saddest franchises in the NHL.

On the other hand, the NY Islanders may never ever win a cup again, but they've got 4 with legends like Bossy, Trottier, Tonelli, Nystrom, Potvin, wow.......there is absolutely no need for the Islanders to win a cup ever again. 4 straight banners and 5 straight cup appearances.

OilerTitanFan

Feb 26, 2019
Really not looking forward to the camera showing mcdavid if Oilers lose tonight…
At this point, McDavid has nobody to blame but himself. As an oiler fan, watching this guy haul in 15mill a year or more, I wouldn't cry about losing. It just feels a bit different and I expect an Oilers win. Let's see what happens.

Thallis

No half measures
Jan 23, 2010
Behind Blue Eyes
No, that's the definition of screwing your own franchise. The Kings did nothing wrong to lose a game 7. Selling Gretzky and then feeling pain is just desserts. It's not the Kings' fault Oiler fans are still Oiler fans.
It's not Oilers' fans fault their owner traded the best player to ever live for money.

Regal

Mar 12, 2010
Vancouver
Honestly, I think too much is made out of it. It sucks the night of but ultimately the run is still super fun

BayStBullies

Burn the Boats!
Apr 1, 2012
Edmonton made a series of it. McDavid proved he is the best out there, nearly carrying the whole team. Also, a rocking crowd. It stings, but not a lot of shame in this. They're also in by far the worst division and will be right back in the conference finals or beyond next year. Draisaitl could use a heart, though.

Reactions: lawrence

aonb

Oct 26, 2013
devastating lmfao
devastating is losing your child to a cancer, not losing a hockey game. losing game just sucks for a moment and life goes on

Reactions: Patrik26

SuperScript29

Nov 17, 2017
I'm a Wings fan and it sucked pretty bad when we lost to the Pens back in 09. The only saving grace there was that we got to witness the team win the cup a year earlier.

I imagine it really sucks for the Oilers. They make a full come back only to lose by one goal there in the end. Granted their best guy didn't show up in the end, and sometimes that's what makes the difference.

oilersfan87

Jan 18, 2009
I'd imagine it is a lot worse for fans/players who have never won the cup or seen their team win the cup before. It hurts the most realizing how difficult it is to make it this far, and knowing I might never get the see the Oilers win the cup now.

CheerstoBeers

Jan 28, 2008
Not good. I thought the Bruins had it for sure at home against the Blues. Didn't go their way and the sting lasts quite awhile. Bruins won in 2011 so I got to see my team win so think would been much worse if wasn't for that but still sucked.

Reactions: Devonator

Cashville

RIP Lindback
Apr 12, 2011
Denver
Losing a game 6 was bad enough (Pens 2017). Deep playoff hockey just kills me; can literally kill or buoy a week regardless of what is going on in RL. The 3OT game vs the Sharks in 2017 took a year or two off my life.

Brodeur

Feb 27, 2002
San Diego
Edit: Found the higher res photo (with watermark):

anaheim-mighty-ducks-steve-thomas-watches-the-new-jersey-devils-celebrate-their-3-0-victory-in-game-7-stanley-cup-finals-monday-june-9-2003-in-east-rutherford-nj-ap-photopaul-chiasson-2PF6MG5.jpg

Just had my memory jogged that Steve Thomas is Adam Henrique's father-in-law.

OilerTitanFan

Feb 26, 2019
I'm not even sulking as an oilers fan. How is this for canucks fan? This joker Luongo parading like he won it, with the Panthers, not the canucks. Maybe the sedins should have joined the Panthers front office. I can't imagine what Kevin Bieksa is thinking when he saw that.

1000016539.jpg

• Haha
Reactions: Bgav

heynowbababooey

Sep 29, 2017
I'm not even sulking as an oilers fan. How is this for canucks fan? This joker Luongo parading like he won it, with the Panthers, not the canucks. Maybe the sedins should have joined the Panthers front office. I can't imagine what Kevin Bieksa is thinking when he saw that.

View attachment 886855
I'm sure all his former teammates are thrilled for him.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad