How devastating is it losing a game 7 for the Stanley Cup?

• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Cup or Bust

Oct 17, 2017
It's horrible to lose in game 7. It means you couldn't win when it counted the most. The Oilers haven't accomplished anything if they lose tonight. They will just be another team that lost in the finals. I already saw that story in 2006, not interested in seeing it again.

Reactions: Jason316

ManofSteel55

Aug 15, 2013
Sylvan Lake, Alberta
Game 7, 2006 was one of the most painful nights of my life. The only things that hurt worse were (in no particular order) my mother dying, my grandmother dying, my first marriage ending, and my wife and son having major issues during his birth (they're both fine).

It's the type of pain that doesn't leave. It gets easier to bear, but it never goes away.

Serpico

Aug 16, 2020
NYC
Was fun going into work the next day extremely hungover with ranger fans laughing at me. Seeing Chara hoist the cup one more time would have been great.

1specter

Sep 27, 2016
It's bad.

Not like, losing 4 straight superbowls bad, but bad.
I am glad I only became a Bills fan in the Josh Allen era (wasn't alive or was too young for the 4 Bills SBs anyways) lol. The amount of suffering the oldheads of this fanbase have gone through... good god

• Love
Reactions: Washed Up 29YearOld

Arthur Morgan

Jul 6, 2016
Toronto
www.youtube.com
Game 7, 2006 was one of the most painful nights of my life. The only things that hurt worse were (in no particular order) my mother dying, my grandmother dying, my first marriage ending, and my wife and son having major issues during his birth (they're both fine).

It's the type of pain that doesn't leave. It gets easier to bear, but it never goes away.
u should try being a Leafs fan. pain just goes hand in hand.

MikeyMike01

U.S.S. Wang
Jul 13, 2007
Hell
It better be... losing in the finals every 18 years isn't fun.lol

Awesome story about the OLN... totally different time! Was HF even a thing in 2006?haha

Behold, 2006 HF:

Shoutout to the “Prucha better than Crosby” thread on the Rangers board

• Haha
Reactions: Turin and Czechboy

kvladimir

Dec 1, 2010
The Canucks are still the only team in the NHL that has lost a game 7 in the finals and not won a Cup before or since. They are also the only team that has lost more than 2 finals without winning at least one.

...both of which would change if Florida loses tonight... 🤔

snag

Feb 22, 2014
The Canucks are still the only team in the NHL that has lost a game 7 in the finals and not won a Cup before or since. They are also the only team that has lost more than 2 finals without winning at least one.

...both of which would change if Florida loses tonight... 🤔

You know what they say about misery....

Common Oilers.....let's give them some company!

• Haha
Reactions: kvladimir

Brodeur

Feb 27, 2002
San Diego
I'm still not really over 2006.

The Pic of Todd Harvey is etched into my gut.
Felt like losing a family pet.
View attachment 886266

This one is just different. This one feels way heavier.

thomas03.jpg

I wish I had a higher res photo, but this one of Steve Thomas after 2003 Game 7 always made me feel bad for him.

I met him after the 2010 Draft when his kid was taken. He was nice enough to chat with me for a couple minutes. Unfortunately everything that was coming in mind was probably a bad memory. He joined the Devils in 1995 right after they had won a Cup and then proceeded to miss the playoffs. Then there were the early exits in 1997 and 1998. Thomas signs with Toronto only to be eliminated by the Devils in 2000 and 2001. He gets another shot with Anaheim in 2003 only to lose to the Devils again.

I think off the top of my head, Thomas was only behind Adam Oates and Dave Andreychuk for the most GP without a Cup in that moment. [Edit: Phil Housley too, maybe the anecdote was about forwards]

Edit: Found the higher res photo (with watermark):

anaheim-mighty-ducks-steve-thomas-watches-the-new-jersey-devils-celebrate-their-3-0-victory-in-game-7-stanley-cup-finals-monday-june-9-2003-in-east-rutherford-nj-ap-photopaul-chiasson-2PF6MG5.jpg

Last edited:

SheldonJPlankton

Sponsor
Oct 30, 2006
If a team loses repeated in the first round, it's likely because they really are a Cinderella regular season team too fragile and too lacking in character to reach SC contender status.

KillerMillerTime

Jun 30, 2019
Isles didn't even make it to the Cup and I'll never get over the 1-0 loss against Tampa game 7 of the ECF.

However, losses like this build character. Don't jump ship. Stay loyal and you will eventually be rewarded.

Right?

Right???

Were you around for the 1980-83 Islanders Cups?

Peltz

Oct 4, 2019
Every year is devastating for every fanbase except one. I think getting to game 7 of a SCF is at least something special.

Crow

May 19, 2014
I remember losing in 2014 game 7 OT when the puck bounced off Leddy's shoulder and into the net.
Oh that wasn't the finals? Sure felt like it.

It wasn't devastating as the team they lost to was also great and my team then won their third cup in six seasons the follow year. Winning fixes everything.
Still bothers me. And I don’t believe things would have gone any differently for the rangers that year had the hawks won despite what their faithful say.

Last edited:

gn2007

Nov 21, 2009
Shelby Township, MI
T
yeah hes up there now too I just mean Hossa was on the Pens then left to DET and lost both times lol. then obviously went on to win 3 cups
The thing for perry he won so young so he didn't really suffer the fate but right now he is considered the Stanley Cup final jinx and he is trying to clear that name. Like how Justin Williams was Mr. Game seven lol

Akrapovince

May 19, 2017
Not the SCF, but Ottawa losing two ECF Game 7’s (one goal games) was pretty devastating. Both hypothetical SCF’s would have given us a decent chance to win.
I can’t watch the highlights or talk about it.

I don’t know if I care more than the average person but if there’s even remote mentions of playoffs during those years or any plays, or Kunitz I try to leave the room.

Hockeyholic

Apr 20, 2017
Condo My Dad Bought Me
Meh. Life goes on and the players have millions of reasons ($) to feel good about their lives.

My guess : Some fans take it harder than the players.
Soccer fans take it very seriously

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad