How devastating is it losing a game 7 for the Stanley Cup?

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

OilerTitanFan

Feb 26, 2019
It depends. If you were the team that had no business being there, you’re happy. If you’re the favored team, the pain lasts over a decade. The worst situation was 1993 LA Kings.
You guys bought gretzky off the oilers. There shouldn't be any pain losing in 1993.

OilerTitanFan

Feb 26, 2019
Will suck for Florida because of the history attached. There will be regret about not getting it done the first three tries. But it won't ruin the franchise imo. They'll still be cup favorites next season.

Will suck for Edmonton because it will feel like everything (winning three straight) was for not. There will be regret about nit coming away with a win in games 1-3. Leaving zero margin for error. I can't say for certain they will be favorites in the west next season.
The Rangers will find a way to pay someone to make it next year. Bank on it. They are one superstar sniper away from it all.

• Haha
Reactions: Devilsfan118

gn2007

Nov 21, 2009
Shelby Township, MI
It sucks for fans I'm sure, never experienced game 7 scf lost, but losing twice in game 7 ECF hurt too. But the memes of owners abd gm of either side will make plenty if folks laugh and smile tonight. Also plastic water bottles will be abused. Hopefully fans at the game doesn't litter the ice with trash win or lose. But boo bettman.

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011
Unfortunately teams that lose game 7 are often forgotten. Not sure that is fair given you have just won 15 games in the playoffs to get to that point. Not an easy task. Teams before expansion just had to win 8 games to win a cup in comparison. This is why it is now considered the hardest trophy to win in team sports today.

OilerTitanFan

Feb 26, 2019
Just look at what happened to Edmonton after 2006. Had to trade Pronger, signed Horcoff and others to bloated deals, overrated Kevin Lowe's GM abilities, and began a precipitous slide from the heights of that run to Tambellini's reign of error, Chiarelli's truly mind-blowing incompetence, and the constant flood of doubt and sour grapes from other fanbases chirping about Yakupov, Hall and the NHL rigging the lottery so Edmonton (lol) could get McDavid.

Losing is bad, no question about it.
Sure.

If Florida loses this, I can't see how they will be back a third time. You're not winning a thing with scums like tkachuk and Bennett. We shall see tonight.

Unfortunately teams that lose game 7 are often forgotten. Not sure that is fair given you have just won 15 games in the playoffs to get to that point. Not an easy task. Teams before expansion just had to win 8 games to win a cup in comparison. This is why it is now considered the hardest trophy to win in team sports today.
I'll forever remember 2011 as an oiler fan living in Vancouver. Tuning into the riot and driving near downtown seeing the plumes of fire was a spectacle. That game 7 loss by the canucks was more memorable than the oilers losing in 2006, that's for sure.

BTO

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 20, 2019
The Big Smoke (unfortunately)
It's excruciating. Still not over it. Doubt I ever will be (hell I'm still not over the 70s losses to the Flyers and scabs, or 80s/90s ones to the Oilers). So's losing a game 6 when you were winning with a minute left. So's blowing a 3-0 series lead, along with a 3-0 lead in game 7, albeit that wasn't a SCF. On the flip side, coming back from 3-0 and winning is glorious (see Red Sox, Boston)!

You never get over it
This is the right answer. You never really do (unless you subsequently win 3 Cups in a row or something).

Ace Card Bedard

Back in Black, Red, and White
Feb 11, 2012
I remember losing in 2014 game 7 OT when the puck bounced off Leddy's shoulder and into the net.
Oh that wasn't the finals? Sure felt like it.

It wasn't devastating as the team they lost to was also great and my team then won their third cup in six seasons the follow year. Winning fixes everything.

Pure West

Oct 3, 2005
Vancouver
Well I've seen 2, one as a kid where you can't really process it, and one in my 20s. Definitely 2011 was something that stung for a long time and seeing the dark decade that followed just emphasized how freaking hard it is to even get there let alone win it. I definitely want to be able to share the joy of a victory with my old man before his time comes, and every passing year makes that more unlikely. Let alone as I get older, am I gonna see one? This is a small window into the dark mind of a Canucks fan.

Most Flames and Oilers fans my age or younger probably don't remember their previous cups so losing in game 7 is likely equally as painful. I don't feel much sympathy for the Wings or Devils or Bruins who could supplement their losses with wins.

nbwingsfan

Dec 13, 2009
Quite.

Source: Bruins lost game 7 of the Finals (at home) in 2019.
Same with the Wings in 2009. Took a few years to really get over it.

The blow was softened by the Cup win the year prior.

I would imagine being a Panthers fan it would be something we would never truly get over considering they also lost last seasons finals AND would be losing in historic fashion the next season at home

paragon

May 5, 2010
Not all game 7 losses are equal. It will be devastating for Florida when they lose, because they were up 3-0.

GMR

Jul 27, 2013
Parts Unknown
I'm still mad about it.

You have the chance to be the first team going back to back since 1998 and you score a whopping TWO GOALS in the last two games of the series!?
Yeah, a combination of choking and Conan O'Brien is still hard to understand.

I still haven't watched a single highlight from that series. Not even the good ones for Detroit.

Lazlo Hollyfeld

The jersey ad still sucks
Sponsor
Mar 4, 2004
This year is gonna be extra painful for one fan base. Either watching your team blowing a 3-0 lead, or watching your team come almost all the way back against incredible odds only to lose in the end.

Torontonian

Jun 24, 2013
Toronto
It sucks seeing the Leafs lose nonstop Game 7's in the first round, couldn't imagine how shitty it would be to lose a game 7 in the cup finals.

RMF5630

Jun 13, 2022
Just wondering for those fans that have lost a game 7 how devastating was the lost?
Hell, even losing in 6 was horrible in 22. That series showed how slow the Lightning had gotten as they were skated off the ice and to have see Bednar smirk. Any SCF loss sucks, it takes so much to get there you dont know when or if (Toronto) you will get there again

banks

Only got 3 of 16.
Aug 29, 2019
I can't speak to a Cup Final game 7. But, as a Leafs fan, I have experienced a game 7 loss near annually for the last 8 years. It blows chunks every time. There's a reason people say "don't get your hopes up," because failure and disappointment are far worse the more convinced you are of success. I'd rather get swept.

Imagine a random beautiful stranger tells you they don't want to marry you. Odd and hurtful, but not a big deal. But now imagine you have been dating this beautiful person, and offered them an engagement ring before they tell you they don't want to marry you. The experience of failure is the same. But having hopes and dreams dashed makes the loss far, far worse.

I'd rather get swept.

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011
Just thought of this. Corey Perry, another shot at the Cup. 4th different team he has made it to the finals with. He probably didn’t sleep much.

Mr Positive

Cap Crunch Incoming
Nov 20, 2013
Just thought of this. Corey Perry, another shot at the Cup. 4th different team he has made it to the finals with. He probably didn’t sleep much.
He won the cup in his first finals appearance, and he can win it in these finals, which will probably be his last

So it's like championship sandwich. Err non championship sandwich I guess

Ol' Jase

Steaming bowls of rich, creamy justice.
Sponsor
Jul 24, 2005
It’s part of the complete fan experience, unfortunately, but it’s pretty shitty all around.

Riseonfire

Josh Bailey! GAME ONE, TO THE ISLAND!!!
Nov 8, 2009
Isles didn't even make it to the Cup and I'll never get over the 1-0 loss against Tampa game 7 of the ECF.

However, losses like this build character. Don't jump ship. Stay loyal and you will eventually be rewarded.

Right?

Right???

Reactions: NYI365

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad