How devastating is it losing a game 7 for the Stanley Cup?

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

T REX

Feb 28, 2013
Context is needed for sure.

This scenario...for FL?

Devastating. Franchise changing.

EDM? They battled back so they look like they have heart.

Not franchise ending.

EDIT: It would be wise to thread the OP...but losing a G7 is awful...losing any cup finals is horrible. You have a lot of hope going into the SCF

Last edited:

Mr Positive

Cap Crunch Incoming
Nov 20, 2013
Context is needed for sure.

This scenario...for FL?

Devastating. Franchise changing.

EDM? They battled back so they look like they have heart.

Not franchise ending.
I disagree completely. It seems like this now but if the Oilers lose it would not be cool. If anything them battling back would make it feel worse because the hope is back and bigger than ever

And it's not wrecking a franchise. The Panthers will be fine if they lose

VinikToWinIt

Number 1 Bull****
Jun 15, 2014
South Florida
I disagree completely. It seems like this now but if the Oilers lose it would not be cool. If anything them battling back would make it feel worse because the hope is back and bigger than ever

Obviously losing in any fashion is an absolute gut punch. But having 4 shots to win the big prize… and losing them all?

I honestly cannot fathom anything worse as a sports fan. I would be ruined.

Mr Positive

Cap Crunch Incoming
Nov 20, 2013
Obviously losing in any fashion is an absolute gut punch. But having 4 shots to win the big prize… and losing them all?

I honestly cannot fathom anything worse as a sports fan. I would be ruined.
Sure but we Oiler fans were tortured for those first 3 games and imo still didn't have real hope after winning one. Even going into game 6, we were watching knowing we weren't likely to get the cup. At that point you're trying to tell yourself that there is some satisfaction in making it this far and just "enjoying the ride and seeing what happens" but that's not a thing if you're a real fan

Reactions: Guttersniped

T REX

Feb 28, 2013
Sure but we Oiler fans were tortured for those first 3 games and imo still didn't have real hope after winning one. Even going into game 6, we were watching knowing we weren't likely to get the cup. At that point you're trying to tell yourself that there is some satisfaction in making it this far and just "enjoying the ride and seeing what happens" but that's not a thing if you're a real fan
Yes. 100%. You were down 3-0. This is a great comeback.

this way much worse for FL fan. It is a franchise wrecker.

DO you know how hard it is to make b2b finals? 3?

Reactions: gretzkyoilers

Mr Positive

Cap Crunch Incoming
Nov 20, 2013

I've never experienced back to back finals or giving up a 3-0 lead in any playoffs. My point though was that all this background does set the table for game 7 but I don't think it really matters at the end of game 7. If the Panthers win then the most charitable narrative about everything will win out, and even last year's loss will be viewed as a fun stepping stone.

If they lose the most negative narrative wins. It will go for both sides and there are dark areas it can go with the Oilers too. I don't think the fun of coming back from 0-3 give make anyone feel okay about winning game 7. The narratives about Drai and McDavid will rear their heads again.

And a loss for Florida is not franchise destroying. That's just typical fan dark place thoughts.

Terry Yake

Aug 5, 2013
03 ducks weren't supposed to get anywhere near game 7 of the SCF to begin with, but it still sucked quite a bit knowing how close they were to winning it all

T REX

Feb 28, 2013
I've never experienced back to back finals or giving up a 3-0 lead in any playoffs. My point though was that all this background does set the table for game 7 but I don't think it really matters at the end of game 7. If the Panthers win then the most charitable narrative about everything will win out, and even last year's loss will be viewed as a fun stepping stone.

If they lose the most negative narrative wins. It will go for both sides and there are dark areas it can go with the Oilers too. I don't think the fun of coming back from 0-3 give make anyone feel okay about winning game 7. The narratives about Drai and McDavid will rear their heads again.

And a loss for Florida is not franchise destroying. That's just typical fan dark place thoughts.
I'm not a Panther fan. they lost last year and were on a mission to complete the cup win. They got within a single victory then crapped their pants. Lockerrooms do not get over that. They just don't.

Last edited:

gretzkyoilers

Apr 17, 2012
This will suck for both. Edmonton have the momentum and look like a championship team. It is not having the best roster it is having that drive, and they seem to have the stars lined up right now especially with the core that they have.

Florida....well that is obvious. Favourites going into the playoffs, up 3-0 in the finals, and could be the biggest upset in all North American professional sports.

Yeah I guess it is much worse for Florida....

Thallis

No half measures
Jan 23, 2010
Behind Blue Eyes
1719206690199.png

About this devastating

Reactions: Voight and Hoek

snag

Feb 22, 2014

Yes. As a kid it seemed all to easy and much more the norm. And then poof.....it was over.

And that is why I am truly relishing this. That is why when we beat Dallas I literally dropped to my knees in front of my theater screen and cried. Would probably have made for a good photo.....grown man on knees crying in front of a 176" screen. lol

BTW...1986....you have any idea how it felt losing the way we did after being as spoilt as we were? Could possibly have been 6 straight trips....

1719207407320.png

• Haha
Reactions: RunItBackAgain

David Suzuki

Aug 25, 2010
New Brunswick
I expected to get done in the first round and fully expected to get swept in the finals, and it still took me a week or so to feel okay after the 2021 playoffs. Can't even imagine losing in the seventh game.

The ECF game 7 loss is the only time I’ve been angry at a hockey game. I imagine a cup one is worse.

you and me both brother!

Sergei Shirokov

Jul 27, 2012
British Columbia
You never get over it

Sums it up as best as possible.

I think there's a reference to 2011 daily on Vancouver radio (local morning show even has a bit about it), never really leaves especially when your the favorite & confident going into the series.

Tho 94 we weren't the favourite & it's still crushing for older fans here aswell.

It's never easy getting right to that edge but not that extra half-a-foot over the line that's necessary... why it's the hardest trophy to win.

Tho Ill say I think teams that get to game 7 are still revered by their market in the long-run because it is so hard & comes down to very little ultimately. But that doesn't make it feel any better.

Last edited:

DamonDRW

Dec 23, 2007
Tampere, Finland
The only thing I can think of as more devastating.

A game 7 loss after being up 3-0. Florida, don’t do it.
This.

I still remember Lidstrom missing his chance at the dying seconds of game 7 in 09. However, in that series there wasn't a single point, where I was 100% sure that we were going to win.

Loosing after being 3-0 is a completely different story. A week ago I was pretty confident that Florida is winning it easily.

Reactions: gretzkyoilers

CashMash

Jun 5, 2015
Finland
Speaking as a Finnish homer, this will be crushing. I was already so disappointed last year. It's the back to back finals part that makes it sting more... All for nothing.

If they can't win with 4 chances, they have done it to themselves. They deserve it. That's on them, and they will be labeled chokers.

McDavid will get his Smythe regardless.

BelovedIsles

Oct 22, 2005
This.

I still remember Lidstrom missing his chance at the dying seconds of game 7 in 09. However, in that series there wasn't a single point, where I was 100% sure that we were going to win.

Loosing after being 3-0 is a completely different story. A week ago I was pretty confident that Florida is winning it easily.

I think I remember that play, did Fleury sprawl across the net to make the stop? Or do I have my moments mixed up?

Chet Manley

Apr 15, 2007
Regina, SK
Losing in game 7 of the SCF is the second best outcome a team can expect on the season. So less devastating than losing sooner? I'm all good either way as long as the refs don't play a part in deciding the final game.

OilerTitanFan

Feb 26, 2019

Depends on how you feel as an individual. For me, this is a cup for mcdavid to win or lose. It is in the hands of best player on the planet. I wouldn't shed an ounce of tear if oilers lost. It isn't something I can control. Theoretically speaking, best player like a video game cheat code, you can't win game 7, that means the cheat code failed.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad