How attractive is Ottawa?

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

torlev*

Most people who find Ottawa boring...are usually boring themselves.

Dude, you seriously have no idea what you are talking about. There are so many millionaires here and they love it here. What are they missing out on?

Dude, you seriously have no idea what you're talking about. I've posted the data. I can post more if you like. You're no longer arguing with me, you're denying that Census Canada has an idea of what they're talking about. Do you really think you know more than Census Canada about Canadian Demographics?

torlev*

Why would a UFA buy a 5+ million dollar home? Just because they can afford it, they will not do it until they are ready to retire permanently.

Plenty of 5$ Million dollar homes, just look around and inform yourself. And don't bother looking on MLS either, like I said special agents carry these types of property and are discreet in their dealings.

I think you owe it to your self to go for a nice Sunday drive in Manotick.

You really need to quit while you're behind. Many, if not most of them buy homes. Because that's what one does when they're going to live somewhere for at least 5 years. Frequently 7 or 8 years.

Why would I look at MLS. Wouldn't it be smarter to look at the current value of all homes? As done by the various assessment corps? This data is readily available.

Alfie#11

May 7, 2003
Visit site
I can't believe this thread has gone on as long as it has.

With a few exceptions, NHL players are very flexible about the markets they play for.

It's about money (and term as well I guess) along with quality of team.

None of this nightlife, tax rates or "how pretty the city is" seems to effect where the vast majority hockey players go to.

torlev*

None of this nightlife, tax rates or "how pretty the city is" seems to effect where the vast majority hockey players go to.

To suggest tax rates don't matter is foolish. If $6M translates to $3M after tax in Ontario, or $4M in New Jersey, that's a pretty significant difference. And yes, it can be that much of a difference, when you factor in income tax, at both federal and provincial levels, and sales tax (both federal and provincial).

I'd say you're partly right on some accounts of what the city has to offer not swaying where they go. It frequently does play a part in where they won't go though.

http://www2.canada.com/topics/sport...38-06de-450e-b94e-cd21462ba3a8&k=80247&page=1

He said his wife was crying, that they had more friends in the east. I said, 'Michael, this the first I've heard of this.' I told him, 'Michael, why don't you take some time, come to Edmonton -- I'm
going down the path for a while -- but after about 12, 15 minutes of that, I said, 'Michael, have you agreed to a contract in Washington?' He said yes. I said, 'You have no idea the grief you've caused.

http://www2.canada.com/topics/sport...38-06de-450e-b94e-cd21462ba3a8&k=80247&page=2

Lowe went through a situation with former Oilers defenceman Chris Pronger, describing how his wife didn't like Edmonton and Pronger eventually asked to be traded. Lowe didn't want another unhappy, signed player here, but he can't understand why Nylander dragged it out, or why Gillis didn't give the team a heads-up. The Oilers have appealed to the NHL, forwarding the e-mail correspondence, but Lowe is not sure what, if anything, can be done.

If I recall, there was another player around the same time that refused to go to Edmonton for similar reasons.

These were just some high profile ones, that hit the news, because of the circumstances. To think this doesn't go on behind closed doors, or discussions with players and their wives to that extent, prior to actually signing, I'd say is somewhat naive.

Jerk Store*

Meh, players who want to party it up are on the road half of the regular season, and go home during the offseason. I don't think the night life factors that much into it. The difference between going out in Ottawa and a bigger city means fewer clubs to chose from, there are still places to go.

Small Canadian market has a bigger impact. Players can't float under the radar here, and get recognized when grocery shopping.

At the end of the day, if the Senators offer more money than other teams to a free agent he's going to come here regardless 9 times outa 10.

Didn't say anything about nightlife.

PoutineSp00nZ

Electricity is really just organized lightning.
Jul 21, 2009
Ottawa
I think this has been over analyzed to death in here. I doubt the players put this much thought into Ottawa when they're choosing to sign a contract here, it's not like they're locked into the city forever. A decent amount of players retire here too, that says something.

jbeck5

Jan 26, 2009
Most people who find Ottawa boring...are usually boring themselves.

Dude, you seriously have no idea what you are talking about. There are so many millionaires here and they love it here. What are they missing out on?

There are lots of millionaires maybe, but not lots of people bringing in millions per year. My parents are "millionaires" in the sense that they have assets totalling over a million dollars. They are not rich. Just comfortable.

Don't tell people they don't know what they're talking about when you yourself don't know what you're talking about.

What is Ottawa missing? Many services,jobs, and houses for the elite. That's what. What did you think we were talking about? Read the thread first.

Ottawa doesn't have many if any elite neighborhoods. They also don't have many huge corporations setting up headquarters as they choose Toronto or Montreal to set up shop. That means the fat cats at the top bringing in the most dough will live in those cities.

If we don't have many elite jobs paying in the millions, we won't have many elite houses, and won't have many elite services. Its supply and demand.

Half the city works for the government therefore won't be elite. Most of big corporations set up in other cities therefore we won't have those elites. The weather isn't good so we won't have elites setting up a second or third home here.

jbeck5

Jan 26, 2009
I think this has been over analyzed to death in here. I doubt the players put this much thought into Ottawa when they're choosing to sign a contract here, it's not like they're locked into the city forever. A decent amount of players retire here too, that says something.

Most of the players that retire here are from here. That's more likely the reason as opposed to them thinking Ottawas the best city in the continent.

PoutineSp00nZ

Jul 21, 2009
Ottawa
Most of the players that retire here are from here. That's more likely the reason as opposed to them thinking Ottawas the best city in the continent.

Or some just decide that its a good place to raise a family, which it is. Like Ron Tugnutt for one.

This thing is just being beaten to death. Sure there are players that are going to cross Ottawa off the list because it doesn't match their criteria, but those players are going to end up signing with th Rangers regardless. There might not be as many clubs, elite clubs or after hours bars as in larger cities. There might not be as many giant houses, but those players are only here for just over half the year anyway, and half that time they're travelling. As soon as the season ends they go back to wherever the hell they want. Its like having an apartment in the city for work.

Its like any city, it has its pros and its cons. And like any team, if they have a competitive team and offer more money than any other team, they'll get free agents to pass over bigger more exciting cities to come here.

Oddmott

May 6, 2013
If there's no fun life for young players in Ottawa... how the heck did all the rumours of cocaine and excessive partying surround guys like Redden, Emery, et al?

Anyways, Ottawa HAS attracted some bigger UFAs when it appeared the team was trending in the right direction.
When we had our all-stars (mid-200s) Hasek was happy to sign here. After the rebuild/lockout Spezza & Karlsson & Alfie were good enough to attract Kovalev & Gonchar (i hated the acquisitions and play of both - but can't deny that they were big names)

As I see it, the city of Ottawa is a fine place to be an NHLer... if the Senators are icing a contending team. If they're mired in mediocrity - as they have been since Euge leveled his internal cap - then UFAs or signed players with NMCs have zero interest in coming here.

coladin

Sep 18, 2009
There are lots of millionaires maybe, but not lots of people bringing in millions per year. My parents are "millionaires" in the sense that they have assets totalling over a million dollars. They are not rich. Just comfortable.

Don't tell people they don't know what they're talking about when you yourself don't know what you're talking about.

What is Ottawa missing? Many services,jobs, and houses for the elite. That's what. What did you think we were talking about? Read the thread first.

Ottawa doesn't have many if any elite neighborhoods. They also don't have many huge corporations setting up headquarters as they choose Toronto or Montreal to set up shop. That means the fat cats at the top bringing in the most dough will live in those cities.

If we don't have many elite jobs paying in the millions, we won't have many elite houses, and won't have many elite services. Its supply and demand.

Half the city works for the government therefore won't be elite. Most of big corporations set up in other cities therefore we won't have those elites. The weather isn't good so we won't have elites setting up a second or third home here.

Good on your parents, but they are not the millionaires that I am talking about.

People with salaries of a million dollars is what I am referring to. People whose companies have revenues in the millions. Elite which there are many in this city. In construction, real estate and more real estate. The guys that hang out with hockey players.

The Elite has the services you state that I skipped on. Did you miss the part where I mentioned that Prime Ministers and their families live here? You don't think Rockliffe, Island Park or Manotick does not have elite?

Most of the elite in this city do run corporations, businesses that export/import and people who own a heck of a lot of property. They are well taken care of. Yes, this may be a government town but there is a lot of money in Ottawa.

Maybe because I am older than many here I have a different perspective on this topic.

torlev*

Good on your parents, but they are not the millionaires that I am talking about.

People with salaries of a million dollars is what I am referring to. People whose companies have revenues in the millions. Elite which there are many in this city. In construction, real estate and more real estate. The guys that hang out with hockey players.

The Elite has the services you state that I skipped on. Did you miss the part where I mentioned that Prime Ministers and their families live here? You don't think Rockliffe, Island Park or Manotick does not have elite?

Most of the elite in this city do run corporations, businesses that export/import and people who own a heck of a lot of property. They are well taken care of. Yes, this may be a government town but there is a lot of money in Ottawa.

Maybe because I am older than many here I have a different perspective on this topic.

Relative to Cornwall or Ganonoque, yes, that is absolutely true. Not relative to most other NHL cities, and the links I’ve mentioned show that.

jbeck5

Jan 26, 2009

When Ottawa is 2-5 times smaller than many other NHL cities, and Ottawa is mostly government employed instead of private sector, you can get 4-10 times less elites. That means there's a lot less of everything for the elites...relative to the difference in cities for the average Joe.

I'm not saying Ottawa has no elites, they just have less elites than a city of the same size due to the government factor. Throw in the fact Ottawas already one of the smaller NHL cities and your left with near bottom of the league in elite housing/services/products.

coladin

Sep 18, 2009
When did this thread turn into "there aren't enough elites in Ottawa?"

I know that Bobby Ryan must have said to his fiancé "I would re-sign here but honestly, nowhere to get caviar and grey poupon".

"Can I play polo here?"

"I hope I am around for the fox hunt...the Range Rover would be perfect"

PoutineSp00nZ

Jul 21, 2009
Ottawa
When did this thread turn into "there aren't enough elites in Ottawa?"

I know that Bobby Ryan must have said to his fiancé "I would re-sign here but honestly, nowhere to get caviar and grey poupon".

"Can I play polo here?"

"I hope I am around for the fox hunt...the Range Rover would be perfect"

heh, hockey players are generally regular joes who end up making more money than they know what to do with. If they're smart, they'll hire advisers to invest their money properly and live much more modestly. I think most of them do. They have nice houses, but they're not usually mansions. Ever see Alfie's old house?

coladin

Sep 18, 2009
heh, hockey players are generally regular joes who end up making more money than they know what to do with. If they're smart, they'll hire advisers to invest their money properly and live much more modestly. I think most of them do. They have nice houses, but they're not usually mansions. Ever see Alfie's old house?

I agree. They invest live well but nothing overly extravagant. Nice cars, toys and such for sure.

I remember Lance Pitlick who had a beat up Ford Taurus even after getting a contract, they are thinking long term.

Not trying to find elites.

tony d

New poll series coming from me in June
Jun 23, 2007
Behind A Tree
Not very which is surprising it's the nation's capital, a decent city and there's lots of history in the city.

Nac Mac Feegle

wee & free
Jun 10, 2011

This.

I agree. They invest live well but nothing overly extravagant. Nice cars, toys and such for sure.

I remember Lance Pitlick who had a beat up Ford Taurus even after getting a contract, they are thinking long term.

Not trying to find elites.

And this.

Most NHLers aren't playing like the jet set, no matter what starry-eyed young fans think. Don't confused with stupidly jacked up vehicles for the entire jet set lifestyle. Most of these guys are living the upper side of the middle class suburban lifestyle. The exceptions are the franchise style superstars who spend 10+ years on one city (Ovechkin, Crosby, Lecavalier, etc).

torlev*

This.

And this.

Most NHLers aren't playing like the jet set, no matter what starry-eyed young fans think. Don't confused with stupidly jacked up vehicles for the entire jet set lifestyle. Most of these guys are living the upper side of the middle class suburban lifestyle. The exceptions are the franchise style superstars who spend 10+ years on one city (Ovechkin, Crosby, Lecavalier, etc).

Except that you guys have absolutely nothing to back any of this crap up. Zero. And you continually seem to forget that the wives pull the strings on a lot of this stuff.

Nac Mac Feegle

wee & free
Jun 10, 2011
Except that you guys have absolutely nothing to back any of this crap up. Zero. And you continually seem to forget that the wives pull the strings on a lot of this stuff.

And most of the wives do NOT come from big money backgrounds. A lot of these women are childhood sweethearts, college sweethearts and nightclub pickups.

You. Are. Wrong. The fact teams exist and do well in smaller markets proves it.

PoutineSp00nZ

Jul 21, 2009
Ottawa

Because what you've brought to the discussion isn't conjectural at all :P

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad