How attractive is Ottawa?

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

sam2020

Apr 1, 2014
To these people, highest quality of life means the best of everything, because they can afford it. The best houses and neighborhoods. The best restaurants. The best private schools. Regardless of cost. What you don't seem to follow is that what you're being shown at this very moment is where those are.

Fine just don't act like Ottawa is this awful place to live and maybe your not per say but some are.

jbeck5

Jan 26, 2009
Ottawa is ranked amongst the best cities for the average Joe. Not the ultra rich. It ranks low for the ultra rich for many reasons given. What more is there?

The hockey side of it they rank low.

The money side of it they rank low.

smithy

May 31, 2011
New York
For the most part, I think people are spot-on about how Ottawa does not have as many services designed for luxury consumption as other cities, even other cities in the same size range. This is a big drawback when you're young and rich.

That said, I wouldn't underestimate the value of living in a city where the average Joe does better. According to this article, Ottawa has the second-lowest proportion of low-income citizens (behind only boomtown Calgary). And, while there's room for improvement, Ottawa has a pretty good record for treating its least fortunate. This is a pretty important consideration. It's not actually all that desirable to have to live in a gated community or an isolated suburb because the downtown in the metro area is ravaged with crime and poverty (hello, Detroit and St. Louis!). Also, being very wealthy in a highly unequal society is an exercise in cognitive dissonance where you constantly have to rationalize your own wealth in the face of the abject poverty of others.

I'm not sure how much that consideration plays out in reality - I think services for luxury consumption are still probably more important at the end of the day - but it's something I would think about, all else equal.

Senateurs

Let's win it all
Feb 28, 2007
The city/market is not that attractive but if the team does well, players will sign here. I also think trading Spezza and losing the 2nd team's captain in 2 years would not help us attract UFA's here.

AchtzehnBaby

Global Matador
Mar 28, 2013
Hazeldean Road
I was born and raised in Montreal... lived in Ottawa, Calgary, and now Toronto for the last 12 years... Ottawa is still on the top of my list. I hope to get back there one day.

Rals

Apr 5, 2011
Ottawa
And these things are obviously not done from the perspective of young millionaires. The point seems to be going way over your head. Your average NHLer has an entirely different set of criteria than Mercer is using. They really don't care that the average median price of a house is $250K vs $500K in Vancouver/Toronto/Montreal.

Rocliffe: Let me tell you. There is no lack of high end housing here. minutes walk from a hidden lake

Oddly enough most NHLer live in the gross west.

sexytime

Apr 17, 2009
Ottawa
I moved out of Ottawa 2 years ago after spending the most of my life there, and I'll likely never live there again. Love living in 3rd World Countries now.

torlev*

Rocliffe: Let me tell you. There is no lack of high end housing here. minutes walk from a hidden lake

Oddly enough most NHLer live in the gross west.

Surely you realize that one small area which still doesn't come anywhere close to the areas I mentioned pales in comparison to decent sized portions of the other cities earlier right? Honestly, in terms of the high end housing and other attractions a city has to offer, it's a toss up between Toronto and Vancouver first, Calgary and Montreal third and fourth, then maybe Ottawa, among Canadian cities. Even then, if it's ahead of Edmonton and Winnipeg, it isn't by much.

arglebargle

Feb 27, 2008
If you consider income tax rates, the order from best to worst is

Alberta
Ontario
BC
Manitoba
Quebec

If we go by tax rates, housing quality, nightlife and climate, the Florida Panthers should be by far the most desirable team for free agents. Florida has no income tax, Miami has tons of high end housing (at relatively low prices because of the housing market crash), the nightlife is world class, and the weather is beautiful year-round.

The thing is I don't think the majority of NHL players are that concerned about all of those things. The tax rates and housing can be gotten around by maintaining a primary residence in a different place. Most NHL players (like most regular people) tend to get married and settle down by their mid to late 20's, which coincidentally is when they hit UFA status, so the quality and quantity of nightclubs isn't likely to be a major factor in their decision. Most NHL players come from Northeast and upper midwest USA, Canada, Scandinavia, and Eastern Europe, so they're not going to hate living in a non-tropical climate that much.

The reason the Sens can't draw big-name free agents is that they don't have the budget. They can't afford to give Danny Briere $52 million for his age 30-38 seasons, or Brad Richards $60 million for his age 31-39 seasons. The back ends of those deals are just too risky.

Alfieghetti

inflamed
Jul 29, 2009
I find that the people that slag ottawa are either brats that grew up here and have never lived anywhere else and think they're distinguishing themselves somehow by ******** on their hometown, or, they are people from egocentres that can't see value in something unless it's shiny. I've lived in multiple larger, more prominent cities and always looked forward to coming back here because I like the vibe and the lack of respect it gets as a community. **** everybody else, this is a great town.

Canadian Time

Mar 2, 2002
Visit site
I find that the people that slag ottawa are either brats that grew up here and have never lived anywhere else and think they're distinguishing themselves somehow by ******** on their hometown, or, they are people from egocentres that can't see value in something unless it's shiny. I've lived in multiple larger, more prominent cities and always looked forward to coming back here because I like the vibe and the lack of respect it gets as a community. **** everybody else, this is a great town.

I think it's even a bit more basic than that. When you're between the ages of 15 - 22 (bulk of posters here), any place in the world is better than where you grew up, your hometown sucks and you just want out.

Ottawa is a fantastic place to live for both families and rich athletes alike. If you like city, suburbia or rural, it's all here within a very small radius. If you're into outdoor fitness there is no shortage of year round options. It's all here.

The biggest issue is if players feel there is a chance to win here. Any player will think they could be the missing piece for a team to go far. The Sens aren't quite there right now but they are close, on the rise for sure.

torlev*

I think it's even a bit more basic than that. When you're between the ages of 15 - 22 (bulk of posters here), any place in the world is better than where you grew up, your hometown sucks and you just want out.

Ottawa is a fantastic place to live for both families and rich athletes alike. If you like city, suburbia or rural, it's all here within a very small radius. If you're into outdoor fitness there is no shortage of year round options. It's all here.

The biggest issue is if players feel there is a chance to win here. Any player will think they could be the missing piece for a team to go far. The Sens aren't quite there right now but they are close, on the rise for sure.

It's nice that you feel that way, but honestly, the ultra-wealthy go nowhere near Ottawa. How can you explain that?

jbeck5

Jan 26, 2009
It's nice that you feel that way, but honestly, the ultra-wealthy go nowhere near Ottawa. How can you explain that?

Because the 15-22 year old posters want out, that's why wealthy people don't come to Ottawa.

torlev*

Because the 15-22 year old posters want out, that's why wealthy people don't come to Ottawa.

Must be it. The ultra wealthy want to know. Where do the teenagers want to go. Cause that's where they want to go.

thinkwild

Veni Vidi Toga
Jul 29, 2003
Ottawa
Its a nice thought that more people would think about disparity like Smithy above, but if i was a young hockey player, i doubt i would. I'd be wanting in on the bright lights and the big city. Its funny to remember the Flyers who actually wouldnt let Emery live in the party area of Philly with Richards and Carter and the boys forcing many of their players to live in staid old new jersey where the temptations would be less. Eventually they had to trade them away, much to their chagrin.

Two of the main advantages of big markets are for recruiting ufa's and having a large business base of clients.

Rockliffe is old money and power, dont imagine they'd allow a hockey player in there would they, maybe in the southern parts :) Ottawa is a great city, but the only really meaningful answer to this question might be on how many NMC's is Ottawa listed as one of the cities they wont move to. I dont think its that bad amongst those willing to play in Canada.

coladin

Sep 18, 2009
To these people, highest quality of life means the best of everything, because they can afford it. The best houses and neighborhoods. The best restaurants. The best private schools. Regardless of cost. What you don't seem to follow is that what you're being shown at this very moment is where those are.

And what you don't seem to follow is you have no idea what you are talking about.

Just last night I was on my way to one of Canada's nest restaurants in the market, driving up Elgin, looking at the War Memorial, the Chateau, Congress Centre, Parliament, as the sun was setting and I had a moment thinking "what a beautiful city".

People here are spoiled and certainly take their city for granted.

People here are also, sorry to say it, far from elite.

If you are not elite, how could you know the ways of the elite? They have their own circles, their own hangouts. The rich don't like regular people because jealousy always gets in the way. They hang out with each other, and hockey players are no different.

Did you forget that Prime Ministers and their families reside here? You wanna talk private schools? Affluence? Sorry, but you look pretty uninformed.

Why do they live so close to the arena? They just want to play hockey and get home ASAP. One of the only players to actually embrace and live in this city is the captain. The other captain would hardly venture out of Kanata/Stittsville. They. don't. care. Money, hockey, go home. Vedge. Repeat.

For those with families, there are other tangible qualities, variables. Why the hell does Ottawa need a gated community? No one gets killed here. It's Ottawa. Safe, clean which people like. Alfie's kids loved it here. Chris Phillips kids.

Why does Bobby Ryan like it here and want to be here? At the end of the day this is a kids game and they love the adulation and attention that comes with playing in Canada. Canada treats hockey players like Gods and that is a major part for many, especially this side of the country close to major cities on the Eastern seabord.

So yeah, people here may not like Ottawa because they are used to it but to many in North America, they would find this city quite the attraction and a great place to call home.

FuriousSenator

Mar 18, 2011
Ottawa
And what you don't seem to follow is you have no idea what you are talking about.

Just last night I was on my way to one of Canada's nest restaurants in the market, driving up Elgin, looking at the War Memorial, the Chateau, Congress Centre, Parliament, as the sun was setting and I had a moment thinking "what a beautiful city".

People here are spoiled and certainly take their city for granted.

People here are also, sorry to say it, far from elite.

If you are not elite, how could you know the ways of the elite? They have their own circles, their own hangouts. The rich don't like regular people because jealousy always gets in the way. They hang out with each other, and hockey players are no different.

Did you forget that Prime Ministers and their families reside here? You wanna talk private schools? Affluence? Sorry, but you look pretty uninformed.

Why do they live so close to the arena? They just want to play hockey and get home ASAP. One of the only players to actually embrace and live in this city is the captain. The other captain would hardly venture out of Kanata/Stittsville. They. don't. care. Money, hockey, go home. Vedge. Repeat.

For those with families, there are other tangible qualities, variables. Why the hell does Ottawa need a gated community? No one gets killed here. It's Ottawa. Safe, clean which people like. Alfie's kids loved it here. Chris Phillips kids.

Why does Bobby Ryan like it here and want to be here? At the end of the day this is a kids game and they love the adulation and attention that comes with playing in Canada. Canada treats hockey players like Gods and that is a major part for many, especially this side of the country close to major cities on the Eastern seabord.

So yeah, people here may not like Ottawa because they are used to it but to many in North America, they would find this city quite the attraction and a great place to call home.

Ooooh Elgin.... you mean the 'grand boulevard' of Canada's capital where you can find not one, not two, but THREE Wendy's all in a row on the west side? Where the skyline is completely dominated by towering, hideous, concrete monstrosities like Place Belle? I agree Elgin Street at Dusk is probably the nicest place to go in Ottawa for photos and the like, but the attractive part is only about a half mile (from the War memorial to where City Hall ends). The rest is a barren area of strip mall-esque stores and restaurants...

Face it, Ottawa does not have attractive buildings in the downtown core... I mean really, THIS is what our downtown looks like:
1297234773766_ORIGINAL.jpg

Every single building in there is a cookie cutter ultra short grey cube.... Compare that with anywhere else and you get some really really nice architecture (and not just in one spot, all over). I mean just compare that mess to Calgary's skyline...
20634_calgary_downtown_calgary.jpg

Similarly sized city...way nicer buildings and architecture. Not saying this is a major factor for a hockey player, but I think you can tell a lot about a place by the way it looks.

Nac Mac Feegle

wee & free
Jun 10, 2011
Hockey players may have money, and do spend it on their vehicles and clothing, but on the whole, they aren't going crazy with spending. These guys aren't actors who will have a 30+ year career making millions. Mot of them realize their time is short and don't usually go hog wild with the bling bling. Not unless you're looking at guys who stay in a city long-term and end up getting a big home (which, of course, they can sell fairly easily when traded).

John Holmes*

There is plenty of money in Ottawa.

Anyone that wants to can jump on a plane and live it up in MTL or TOR or NYC anytime they like.

Flash and dazzle doesn't equate to rich anyway. More like someone that's playing a part and owes a lot.

John Holmes*

Dude you're comparing an overhead shot to a skyline. Take a pic of parliament hill from the Quebec side at least.

ottawa-skyline.jpg

torlev*

Are you suggesting hockey players don't leave their houses for anything other than hockey? And their wives don't either? Hmm, that may be true in Ottawa, but I've run into hockey players at restaurants and bars in several other cities. Maybe it's just an Ottawa thing, due to the factors we've been discussing (i.e. nothing high end for them to go to)?

As far as why they'd live closer to the arena, well, that's pretty simple. They don't want long commutes. Same as anyone else living reasonably close to their work.

I find it very ironic that early in the post you speak of how the rich hang out exclusively with the rich, and then talk about how they would have no need for a "gated community". Which, by the way, I'm not sure should have been taken literally.

As much as Bobby Ryan says he likes it, and wants to stay, most players say that prior to going UFA. You may want to wait until you see what he actually does before making comments like this.

No one has argued it isn't a great place to live for the average person.

DrunkUncleDenis

Condra Fan
Mar 27, 2012
It is what it is. I've been to Calgary a lot, and it's nice, but the first time I visited, I was a little disappointed with this sort of industrial ring of crap that goes around the downtown core. ie the area where the Saddledome is. You really see it when you are up in the Calgary Tower. The low lying junk areas get cut out of most skyline shots. Ottawa does have much more boring buildings, though. Like.. bad. The whole Slater/Albert area is awful. Just big canyons of grey. However, if you stand on the Mackenzie King bridge, you'll think it's one of the most beautiful cities with Parliament, the Chateau, Canal, etc. The new conference centre and the new condos going up are steps in the right direction. But I don't think we'll be getting rid of ugly buildings like the Westin any time soon.

Basically our architecture reflects the city and people that live within it. Some of it is exciting, most of it is boring.

Better looking than Edmonton and Winnipeg, though.

Edit - also, in regards to Ottawa's downtown overhead shot a few posts up, that's the area I mean about the drab grey canyons. But in Ottawa there is a real division between the work and play, moreso than other cities I find. All those federal buildings are in the faceless concrete jungle, whereas if you go over the bridge and into the market and closer to U of O, that's where the pretty and entertaining parts are.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad