How attractive is Ottawa?

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

kaws

Apr 10, 2010
I wouldn't say Ottawa is an attractive city, but it's a really good place to settle.
I was born and raised in Ottawa but moved to Toronto for university. I always go back to visit and there has always been thoughts of moving back, but my girlfriend calls the city a village. It's too small and quiet for her.

Larionov

Feb 9, 2005
Ottawa, ON
Roy Mlakar, former Sens President, always talked about how much players like it here, and how upset and disappointed they were when they were traded. His favorite example was Shawn McEachern, who was an American. Apparently he and his wife were quite upset to have to leave Ottawa for Atlanta. Given some of the criteria folks have laid out here, they should have been thrilled, but they were anything but.

It would probably be fair to say that for UFAs, Ottawa is probably a middle of the road choice. Once players get here, though, they tend to like it a great deal, and put down roots quickly. Turris is from BC, for instance, and he can't say enough good things about Ottawa...

Sun God Nika

Palestine <3.
Apr 22, 2013
10247376_848971989218_1855456356170636821_n.jpg

Why would any player want to come here when we have ass hats like Brennan and Garrioch treating players like this?

torlev*

I wouldn't say Ottawa is an attractive city, but it's a really good place to settle.
I was born and raised in Ottawa but moved to Toronto for university. I always go back to visit and there has always been thoughts of moving back, but my girlfriend calls the city a village. It's too small and quiet for her.

And I bet that scenario plays out alk the time with these millionaires and their wives, with piles of money at their disposal. That's kind of the point.

enviro61

Sep 12, 2006
Ottawa
Ottawa is ranked amongst the best cities for the average Joe. Not the ultra rich. It ranks low for the ultra rich for many reasons given. What more is there?

The hockey side of it they rank low.

The money side of it they rank low.

This.

Alfieghetti

inflamed
Jul 29, 2009
also, it stands to reason that most people with a lot of money probably share all tastes and preferences. Fair to say, indeed.

DueDiligence

Nov 16, 2013
also, it stands to reason that most people with a lot of money probably share all tastes and preferences. Fair to say, indeed.

Sorry you are wrong. Just because you have lots of money does not mean you share the same interests with other rich people or want the same things in life.

Hockey players are young guys with lots of money......but they travel constantly living out of different hotels, in places they don't necessarily like, for 100 days a year. If they are in their late 20's or older they almost certainly have a wife and a couple of kids. Nothing they like more after coming off the road is a quiet home life to relax with their family.
At that age they want to live in a place where their wife and kids are happy. Good schools, good shopping ( food stores etc.) and a safe environment are a real priority. Ottawa is that type of place. Sure they like fancy holidays and fine dining but they like most people leave that for vacations. The big city thing is overrated for these older players. And they are the type to come to Ottawa.

jbeck5

Jan 26, 2009
Why not just look at where they gravitate to and live already? As I posted earlier.

Because he'd rather go door to door like jahovas witness and poll the 62 wealthy people we have in ottawa instead of looking at data of where the wealthy people buy homes.

Alfieghetti

inflamed
Jul 29, 2009
oh while we're at it, can someone kindly delineate the margin between super rich and ultra rich for me? I'll include it in my analysis.

jbeck5

Jan 26, 2009
Doesn't matter, they're not living in Ottawa.

I would roughly go with

1-3 million dollar home=rich
3-5 million dollar home=very rich
5+ million dollar home=ultra rich

But it depends on the person.

torlev*

Doesn't matter, they're not living in Ottawa.

I would roughly go with

1-3 million dollar home=rich
3-5 million dollar home=very rich
5+ million dollar home=ultra rich

But it depends on the person.

Any of the solid UFAs we're talking about right now can all afford a $5M+ home. They make that in a year.

jbeck5

Jan 26, 2009
Any of the solid UFAs we're talking about right now can all afford a $5M+ home. They make that in a year.

Exactly. And we don't have many of them.

The average Joe goes "we have nice 1-2 million dollar homes type of neighborhood" but its nothing when people are bringing in multi millions a year.

And someone brought up a point that not every millionaire likes the same thing. The fact we in Ottawa don't have a large variety of luxurious things means we won't attract a wide variety of rich people.

We can have 1 or 2 nice places that will satisfy some rich people, only if they like that specific spot. If they don't, they'll prefer a bigger city that has a wider variety of fancy or luxurious places.

Senafan

May 17, 2013
That Sun cover is revolting. Those two slobs should be barred from the arena, sans tickets.

torlev*

home values seem like a poor way to measure affluence. Too many confounding factors at play.

Totally. Its not like these things are driven by supply and demand or anything. You find a pile of poor people in 5 mil houses.

Novak Djokovic

#24 and counting... #GOAT
Dec 10, 2006
That sun cover is just ridiculous. Spezza's gotten enough criticism already... do we really need to make him resent this situation?

coladin

Sep 18, 2009
Ooooh Elgin.... you mean the 'grand boulevard' of Canada's capital where you can find not one, not two, but THREE Wendy's all in a row on the west side? Where the skyline is completely dominated by towering, hideous, concrete monstrosities like Place Belle? I agree Elgin Street at Dusk is probably the nicest place to go in Ottawa for photos and the like, but the attractive part is only about a half mile (from the War memorial to where City Hall ends). The rest is a barren area of strip mall-esque stores and restaurants...

Face it, Ottawa does not have attractive buildings in the downtown core... I mean really, THIS is what our downtown looks like: [ Every single building in there is a cookie cutter ultra short grey cube.... Compare that with anywhere else and you get some really really nice architecture (and not just in one spot, all over). I mean just compare that mess to Calgary's skyline...

Similarly sized city...way nicer buildings and architecture. Not saying this is a major factor for a hockey player, but I think you can tell a lot about a place by the way it looks.

Well, I just described the part of downtown that we both agree on. Not saying that Ottawa is perfect.

I like Ottawa's Parliament Buildings over some stupid needle in Calgary, sorry, no comparison between the two. I love Calgary but they are totally different cities in different times, different histories.

We don't seriously think that hockey players venture down in these areas anyways? Toronto downtown may be impressive, but it is just another downtown core. Ottawa has history, architecture, importance globally that many other cities lack.

coladin

Sep 18, 2009
And I bet that scenario plays out alk the time with these millionaires and their wives, with piles of money at their disposal. That's kind of the point.

Most people who find Ottawa boring...are usually boring themselves.

Dude, you seriously have no idea what you are talking about. There are so many millionaires here and they love it here. What are they missing out on?

coladin

Sep 18, 2009

Why would a UFA buy a 5+ million dollar home? Just because they can afford it, they will not do it until they are ready to retire permanently.

Plenty of 5$ Million dollar homes, just look around and inform yourself. And don't bother looking on MLS either, like I said special agents carry these types of property and are discreet in their dealings.

I think you owe it to your self to go for a nice Sunday drive in Manotick.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad