How attractive is Ottawa?

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

PoutineSp00nZ

Electricity is really just organized lightning.
Jul 21, 2009
Ottawa
And most of the wives do NOT come from big money backgrounds. A lot of these women are childhood sweethearts, college sweethearts and nightclub pickups.

You. Are. Wrong. The fact teams exist and do well in smaller markets proves it.

When in doubt, blame the women!

They're all lady macbeth when you get right down to it anyway :sarcasm:

PoutineSp00nZ

Jul 21, 2009
Ottawa
I provided several links showing where those in the net worth and income brackets we are referring to gravitate towards.

You're still drawing conclusions that your average NHL player is going to follow this kinda of thing because of a pie chart :P

I do like pie. Especially pecan mmmmmmmm

torlev*

You're still drawing conclusions that your average NHL player is going to follow this kinda of thing because of a pie chart :P

I do like pie. Especially pecan mmmmmmmm

I'm assuming that they're like everyone else. I'd say it's a pretty safe assumption. A hell of a lot safer than the assumption that you're making, which is that NHL players behave completely different than the rest of society.

Proust*

Dec 8, 2010
Ottawa sucks. Sorry guys. I lived there for many years. Now I live in Toronto; thank God. The hockey team sucks, but the city is great.

Nac Mac Feegle

wee & free
Jun 10, 2011
Ottawa sucks. Sorry guys. I lived there for many years. Now I live in Toronto; thank God. The hockey team sucks, but the city is great.

Well, golly gee whiz. One poster here prefers Toronto over Ottawa.

I guess that settles it. let's just pack up the Sens and send them to Seattle, and blow up the town and turn it into a giant trailer park home for the locals. Maybe add a few trees to spiffy it up a bit.

PoutineSp00nZ

Jul 21, 2009
Ottawa
I'm assuming that they're like everyone else. I'd say it's a pretty safe assumption. A hell of a lot safer than the assumption that you're making, which is that NHL players behave completely different than the rest of society.

Keyword in that sentence "assuming"

Proust*

Dec 8, 2010
Well, golly gee whiz. One poster here prefers Toronto over Ottawa.

I guess that settles it. let's just pack up the Sens and send them to Seattle, and blow up the town and turn it into a giant trailer park home for the locals. Maybe add a few trees to spiffy it up a bit.

90% of people I know who have lived in both cities prefer Toronto. The only real argument Ottawa has is affordability and better access to green spaces. Ok, it's also prettier downtown.

pepty

Let's win it all
Feb 22, 2005
90% of people I know who have lived in both cities prefer Toronto. The only real argument Ottawa has is affordability and better access to green spaces. Ok, it's also prettier downtown.

Ottawa is not as large as some cities but Toronto is a grey, dismal grimy place.

If you want a larger city in Canada, Vancouver is much more beautiful and livable than Toronto.

The Camera Eye

Nov 4, 2006
Sainte-Catherine
I've always wondered why Ottawa gets a bad rep. Its one of my favourite places in Canada. If I was an NHL free agent I'd lean towards highest salary, best weather, and team direction but as a Canadian if I could live anywhere Ottawa would probably be a top 5 destination. I don't live in Ottawa but have been there 10+ times, for those who live there and don't like it where else in Canada would you live?

EDIT:
My personal top 5 ranking for Canadian cities:
Montreal, Ottawa/Gatineau, Toronto, Vancouver, Halifax

Also really enjoy Kitchener-Waterloo, Quebec City, Victoria, St. John's. Wasn't a fan of Edmonton or Calgary and have never been to Winnipeg. So overall, Ottawa is a top 3 Canadian city for me.

Last edited:

jbeck5

Jan 26, 2009
Keyword in that sentence "assuming"

What about the fact you assumes it the opposite of the way he assumes it?

Everyone in this thread is assuming. One assumption seems to be more realistic then the other and that's that people with a lot of money like nice things. That's outrageous eh?

Oddmott

May 6, 2013
I've always wondered why Ottawa gets a bad rep. Its one of my favourite places in Canada. If I was an NHL free agent I'd lean towards highest salary, best weather, and team direction but as a Canadian if I could live anywhere Ottawa would probably be a top 5 destination. I don't live in Ottawa but have been there 10+ times, for those who live there and don't like it where else in Canada would you live?

EDIT:
My personal top 5 ranking for Canadian cities:
Montreal, Ottawa/Gatineau, Toronto, Vancouver, Halifax

Also really enjoy Kitchener-Waterloo, Quebec City, Victoria, St. John's. Wasn't a fan of Edmonton or Calgary and have never been to Winnipeg. So overall, Ottawa is a top 3 Canadian city for me.

I currently live in Ottawa... been here for 2 years this time and lived here and ran a business previously for 5 years. Not many other cities stack up in terms of facilities, entertainment, employment, infrastructure, etc.

No Ontario city provides more green spaces, more parks, more fitness and sports facilities for the public, more water-side trails, etc. The only folks who complain that Ottawa is boring, are boring people who never get out and do stuff anyways, no matter where they live.

I've lived in Toronto, Belleville, Peterborough, Ottawa and some smaller rural Ontario towns. Toronto, Belleville & Peterborough are all just dives. Literally, walking down their filth strewn streets, sucking the burnt carbon tainted air, makes me desperate for a shower.

torlev*

I currently live in Ottawa... been here for 2 years this time and lived here and ran a business previously for 5 years. Not many other cities stack up in terms of facilities, entertainment, employment, infrastructure, etc.

No Ontario city provides more green spaces, more parks, more fitness and sports facilities for the public, more water-side trails, etc. The only folks who complain that Ottawa is boring, are boring people who never get out and do stuff anyways, no matter where they live.

I've lived in Toronto, Belleville, Peterborough, Ottawa and some smaller rural Ontario towns. Toronto, Belleville & Peterborough are all just dives. Literally, walking down their filth strewn streets, sucking the burnt carbon tainted air, makes me desperate for a shower.

Yeah, but your perspective, living in ghettos is going to be much different than a hockey player making millions.

FuriousSenator

Mar 18, 2011
Ottawa
Ottawa is not as large as some cities but Toronto is a grey, dismal grimy place.

If you want a larger city in Canada, Vancouver is much more beautiful and livable than Toronto.

Wow you must not have spent much time around this part then:

toronto-skyline-muise-after2012rb.jpg

Hell of a lot less dismal or grey than this nightmare in Ottawa:

666107.jpg

Like just look at it, it's QUITE LITERALLY as grey as you can get!

smithy

May 31, 2011
New York

DSC_7092.jpg

666107.jpg

Much of the "grey" is actually green space. You chose a satellite photo from late winter/early spring (note the ice still on parts of the Ottawa river). Of course it will look grey, especially compared to a ridiculous over-saturated photo of Lake Ontario at sunset.

I've lived in Ottawa, Montreal, Washington, and New York City (as well as some other smaller towns). Ottawa is not on the same scale as a bigger city and so you can't really compare amenities. But on the other hand, everything in downtown Ottawa is walkable and safe, the city has lots of green space, it has an outstanding restaurant scene (better, in my opinion, than Montreal's), and a good lineup of festivals throughout the year. Everything's relative: I've flown to Toronto from New York before and Toronto felt like a quaint village when I landed there. That doesn't take away from its merits on its own terms.

Last edited by a moderator:

Nac Mac Feegle

wee & free
Jun 10, 2011
If that's the best photo of Toronto you can find, then that city is in way more trouble than I thought. Doesn't look that great at all, and that nuclear-level sludgewater...ewwww! Makes the Ottawa River look halfway decent in comparison.

Oddmott

May 6, 2013

toronto-skyline-muise-after2012rb.jpg

Yup... it WILL tend to look grey when you show a picture from late fall. And compare it to a shot of TO in the summer (notice the little bit of green grass along the water? Wow... all that steel and concrete sure is attractive!)

Here's a shot that shows Bluesfest in June/July. It includes the Parliament Buildings, The War Museum, National Archives and some of the Ottawa River.

torlev*

Are you a troll?

Much of the "grey" is actually green space. You chose a satellite photo from late winter/early spring (note the ice still on parts of the Ottawa river). Of course it will look grey, especially compared to a ridiculous over-saturated photo of Lake Ontario at sunset.

I've lived in Ottawa, Montreal, Washington, and New York City (as well as some other smaller towns). Ottawa is not on the same scale as a bigger city and so you can't really compare amenities. But on the other hand, everything in downtown Ottawa is walkable and safe, the city has lots of green space, it has an outstanding restaurant scene (better, in my opinion, than Montreal's), and a good lineup of festivals throughout the year. Everything's relative: I've flown to Toronto from New York before and Toronto felt like a quaint village when I landed there. That doesn't take away from its merits on its own terms.

I'm also a little unsure why so many keep talking about Ottawa as some safe place to live. In recent history it has some of the highest crime, violent crime, and murder rates, in all of Canada. You're FAR more likely to be a victim of a violent crime or murder as a resident of Ottawa than you are of Toronto or Vancouver.

8 times since 1981, Ottawa has had the highest murder rate of any major city in Canada. Exceeded only by Winnipeg at 16. Vancouver, twice. Toronto, not once.

Last edited by a moderator:

sexytime

Apr 17, 2009
Ottawa
Look, reality is that if you ask anyone if Ottawa is a nice city, people may tell you it's a nice quiet place far a family to take walks on the weekend. In terms of a city for wide demographics, it's not that attractive or interesting. I understand most people want to defend their city, but in no way does it compare to other NHL cities, alone.

Oddmott

May 6, 2013
Or this shot that shows even more of Ottawa's signature buildings (Parliament) and the rideau Canal.

See... it's easy to pick and choose how you want to portray a city, using just static captures. :handclap:

torlev*

Or this shot that shows even more of Ottawa's signature buildings (Parliament) and the rideau Canal.

See... it's easy to pick and choose how you want to portray a city, using just static captures. :handclap:

You probably can’t even walk there, for fear of getting murdered, with that murder rate.

Proust*

Dec 8, 2010

Vancouver is a soul-less, unfun city in a beautiful setting. It's also just as "unaffordable". Toronto, the city, has much more going on, and the people are more real.

Oddmott

May 6, 2013
Look, reality is that if you ask anyone if Ottawa is a nice city, people may tell you it's a nice quiet place far a family to take walks on the weekend. In terms of a city for wide demographics, it's not that attractive or interesting. I understand most people want to defend their city, but in no way does it compare to other NHL cities, alone.

And this is what confuses me. Because aside from greenspace & weather... there is absolutely no distinguishing urban features that put any one city with a population of 1M+ above any others.

With the exception of only NYC and L.A., ALL major North American cities offer the exact same shopping options, the exact same dining options, the exact same housing options, the exact same schooling options, the exact same everything.

There's a reason all 30 NHL teams have full rosters, of which the majority of the players stay for 5 years or longer... it's because EVERYWHERE IS THE SAME. The salary and the ice-time/responsibilities promised them are the most important factors when determining where they'll sign.

Oddmott

May 6, 2013
You probably can’t even walk there, for fear of getting murdered, with that murder rate.

LOL
Actually... there are essentially NO crimes committed along the Rideau Canal.

https://www.crimereports.com/map?CRSearch=ottawa on

That tool shows what everyone already knows (but Canada is too PC to admit openly), which is that the highest incidence of crime occurs in particular ethnic areas where youth gangs are prevalent, and where the meth clinics are.

You don't accidentally stroll into these areas as a local or as a tourist.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad