How attractive is Ottawa?

Busboy

Jul 29, 2011
Not very attractive.

It can be attractive to an older player who wants to retire in the suburbs. But those are the older players. I don't see Ottawa being very attractive to 20-something year old stars who hit the market.

A big factor is if the team is a contender.

Another big factor is if the owner is willing to pay for a contender.

Players don't even become free agents until after turning 26.

The reality is every player will have different needs and it's impossible to predict. You can find as many reasons as you want to not move here, but you could find just as many to convince you to move.

arglebargle

Feb 27, 2008
I think Ottawa's just fine, and the "free agent attractiveness" of the Ottawa Senators is not a problem.

Signing players who are >28-29 to huge, long-term contracts is definitely not something the Senators should be doing anyways, and this was true even before Blowhard McScrooge decided he doesn't want to spend any money on payroll.

Do Make Say Think

& Yet & Yet
Jun 26, 2007
Ottawa is ok

It's nice and pretty easy to get around

The flip side is it is completely unremarkable

**** me if I ended up dying here

jbeck5

Jan 26, 2009
Players don't even become free agents until after turning 26.

The reality is every player will have different needs and it's impossible to predict. You can find as many reasons as you want to not move here, but you could find just as many to convince you to move.

Pointless comment. We all know this.

More reasons not to sign with Ottawa. I'll challenge you if you want. List as many reasons to sign here, I'll list as many reasons not to come here. We'all see who tallies more.

One Gun Mitty

Mar 3, 2011
what's irritating about our city ( or maybe the media) is that we don't seem to accept players with big personalities or some swagger on out team. I blame the morons in the media for that.

Patrick Kane would have been run out of this town years ago based on his past

Sadly true - recall Brennan's recent attempt to make Karlsson his personal Justin Bieber story

Busboy

Jul 29, 2011
Pointless comment. We all know this.

More reasons not to sign with Ottawa. I'll challenge you if you want. List as many reasons to sign here, I'll list as many reasons not to come here. We'all see who tallies more.

It was in response to your comment about Ottawa not being attractive to "20 somethings," which seems a little silly since most UFAs are well passed the point of being young guys interested in partying and clubbing.

As for your challenge, I'm wise enough to not engage with someone who has enough time to propose an endless challenge. We could both literally to on forever, it's a beautiful day outside and I'd rather not spend it convincing someone to believe there's more to life than clubs and bars.

Boud

Dec 27, 2011
It was in response to your comment about Ottawa not being attractive to "20 somethings," which seems a little silly since most UFAs are well passed the point of being young guys interested in partying and clubbing.

As for your challenge, I'm wise enough to not engage with someone who has enough time to propose an endless challenge. We could both literally to on forever, it's a beautiful day outside and I'd rather not spend it convincing someone to believe there's more to life than clubs and bars.

Got told haha! Ottawa is beautiful city. Calm and nice to have a familly.

jbeck5

Jan 26, 2009

I figured it was fairly obvious that "20-something year olds means 26 year olds, 27 year olds,28 year olds, 29 year olds... But hey, not everyone can make the connection. They are the free agents we should be targeting, and they are the most likely to be attracted to a big city.

There definitely is more to life then clubs. If you managed to actually read my posts, you would see I said being a competitive team is huge. Were not competitive. Being able to spend to be contenders is huge. Were not spending.

Ottawa is not very good option for Ufa's. Ive lived in Ottawa my whole life and am pro Ottawa. Big cities offer more, plus suburbs.

If you want big city feel, you're screwed. If you want rich suburbs, you can still go to Chicago,Boston,Detroit,LA, etc and still live in fancy gated communities with high quality private schools . plus those teams are contenders. Those big cities offer all options, Ottawa only offers half the stuff . plus CONTENDERS.

sam2020

Apr 1, 2014
I figured it was fairly obvious that "20-something year olds means 26 year olds, 27 year olds,28 year olds, 29 year olds... But hey, not everyone can make the connection. They are the free agents we should be targeting, and they are the most likely to be attracted to a big city.

There definitely is more to life then clubs. If you managed yo actually read my posts, you would see I said being a competitive team is huge. Were not competitive. Being able to spend to be contenders is huge. Were not spending.

Ottawa is not very good option for Ufa's. Ive lived in Ottawa my whole life and am pro Ottawa. Big cities offer more, plus suburbs.

If you want big city feel, you're screwed. If you want rich suburbs, you can still go to Chicago,Boston,Detroit,LA, etc and still live in fancy gated communities with high quality private schools . plus those teams are contenders. Those big cities offer all options, Ottawa only offers half the stuff . plus CONTENDERS.

I think part of the issue is many don't know what Ottawa has to offer.

MtRundle

We once were warriors.
Apr 29, 2013
Toronto
Sadly true - recall Brennan's recent attempt to make Karlsson his personal Justin Bieber story

Murray got burned with the swaggy E king himself Emery so I bet he doesn't mind Brennan's antics trying to keep the young bucs in line.

Remember the overreaction by MGMT when Zibby did a DJ set, sent him down to Bingo for having a hobby outside hockey. No wonder this is the town fun forgot ;)

sam2020

Apr 1, 2014
Murray got burned with the swaggy E king himself Emery so I bet he doesn't mind Brennan's antics trying to keep the young bucs in line.

Remember the overreaction by MGMT when Zibby did a DJ set, sent him down to Bingo for having a hobby outside hockey. No wonder this is the town fun forgot ;)

Same thing would happen in Toronto or Montreal.

jbeck5

Jan 26, 2009
I think part of the issue is many don't know what Ottawa has to offer.

You're right. We have the 2nd most golf courses per capita in north america. We have lots of poutine places. We also have lots of shawarma places. Yayyyyy.

What I like most about the city is the close by cottage life...but that doesn't help because they won't cottage during the winter and can go wherever during the summer.

AchtzehnBaby

Global Matador
Mar 28, 2013
Hazeldean Road
Some of the comments in here are ridiculous. Have any of you been to st.louis or Pittsburgh lately? Maybe Edmonton? This thread is weak sauce. Most players would come to a team based on their cup chances... Detroit is a great place for family....

Laoghaire

Jun 1, 2008
Ottawa
Some of the comments in here are ridiculous. Have any of you been to st.louis or Pittsburgh lately? Maybe Edmonton? This thread is weak sauce. Most players would come to a team based on their cup chances... Detroit is a great place for family....
The gated community suburbs that the players from Detroit live in is great for families.

PoutineSp00nZ

Electricity is really just organized lightning.
Jul 21, 2009
Ottawa
The gated community suburbs that the players from Detroit live in is great for families.

It doesn't matter how ****** the majority of a city is, if you have money you'll find a safe place with a high quality of life.

I really believe that money is by far the biggest factor when signing players, a chance to win comes next, location comes a distant third.

Depends on the player obviously, this all gets mixed up but generally I'd assume this is how it goes more often than not.

torlev*

I think many here are thinking like the average person, not like a multi-millionaire young player. Comments like "it's a quiet, safe, family place" are somewhat irrelevant to these guys, because no matter where they live, they'll be living in the nicest part of it. These people are living with the highest of high end amenities, and the cities with more of that to offer are likely going to be the most attractive. I saw a comment earlier about "when I was a student I lived in a big city and bars and clubs were no different than they are here, just more of them". Well, the thing is, the average club is no different, but you likely weren't going to the same bars and restaurants that they were, as a student. The majority of time, anyway.

I'd say, in no order (as different people will have different priorities), things they (the players AND their families, as while you may think they don't care if it's cold, or quiet, their girlfriends and wives do. See Pronger, Chris, Edmonton) probably look for are:

- Big payday. (and this is likely number one)
- lower income taxes (can't be overlooked, and goes hand in hand with the first one). i.e. they vary pretty heavily from US to Canada, state to state, province to province.
- Competitive team (current, and ability to contend in the future)
- warm climate
- abundance of high end, and exclusive, housing areas (areas of housing in excess of $2M and $3M)
- abundance of high end, and exclusive, night life, restaurant, culture.
- proximity to family and friends
- media scrutiny (although I think that's likely minor)

You figure out where you think Ottawa fares well. I'd personally say it doesn't fare to well in many ways right now. Not likely to offer a big payday, relatively high taxes, not a competitive team, on a tight budget that won't likely let them build one, in one of the coldest NHL cities, in a snow belt, mediocre on the high end amenties (can't compete with Chicago, New York, LA, Toronto, Vancouver, but not as bad as say, Edmonton or Winnipeg), and the media probably isn't much different from Canadian city to city.

Particularly with players that have families, it underlines the importance of keeping them, as they're less likely to want to pick up and move.

sam2020

Apr 1, 2014
Torlev

Ottawa does have some high end housing areas as for nightlife and restaurant, culture there is some in Ottawa and were getting more a few years from now things should be better in that area now i don't think anyone is saying Ottawa is the same zone aas NY and Chicago but as the same time its not as abd as some think.

torlev*

Torlev

Ottawa does have some high end housing areas as for nightlife and restaurant, culture there is some in Ottawa and were getting more a few years from now things should be better in that area now i don't think anyone is saying Ottawa is the same zone aas NY and Chicago but as the same time its not as abd as some think.

Any city is going to have some high end housing and stuff. I never said it doesn't. I'm sure you realize it's on a much lesser scale in every way than Montreal, Toronto, Chicago, New York, LA, etc. I wouldn't say it's at the VERY bottom in that respect, but bottom 10, most likely.

sam2020

Apr 1, 2014
Any city is going to have some high end housing and stuff. I never said it doesn't. I'm sure you realize it's on a much lesser scale in every way than Montreal, Toronto, Chicago, New York, LA, etc. I wouldn't say it's at the VERY bottom in that respect, but bottom 10, most likely.

Not even bottom ten Ottawa is seen by many as one of the best citys to live in.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad