Hockey Cards

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

blankall

Jul 4, 2007
Hey guys! Getting back into card collecting again. Been collecting a binder with every person selected in the 1st round from 1990-2004. Does anyone know or ever seen a Mike Morris card? (Sharks 1st rounder from 2002). Maybe the better question is, do they even exist? Lol
http://www.hockeydb.com/ihdb/stats/pdisplay.php?pid=64551

He never played an NHL game, so it's very unlikely he has a card. Doubt they made AHL cards back then, even if they did, he only ever played 17 games one season.

Doubt any cards of his exist from any of the major publishers.

Reactions: Love Machine

Love Machine

Jan 1, 2003
Computer
Visit site

The Kingslayer

Aug 26, 2004
Siem Reap, Cambodia
As a side note, my local toys r us said that they can't stock hockey cards anymore as the products are selling out too fast.

Could be a good sign that the hobby is picking up again.

Mcdavid and Matthews are really helping the resurgence. If im being honest I kinda miss Panini lol I was a huge fan of NT and Certified was always fun.

danielpalfredsson

youtube dot com /watch?v=CdqMZ_s7Y6k
Aug 14, 2013
Mcdavid and Matthews are really helping the resurgence. If im being honest I kinda miss Panini lol I was a huge fan of NT and Certified was always fun.

Upper Deck lucked out with McDavid/Eichel in 15-16, and then Matthews/Marner/Nylander/Laine in 16-17.

This year is going to be really interesting. Hischier/Patrick probably won't be mega star rookies, and the Devils aren't a super popular team. Looking at the rookie class, it seems like a year where there might be a decent amount of depth, but no major headliner. People who buy a lot of sealed product are usually interested in chasing that one big name, so I'd imagine it'll be a down year for Upper Deck.

member 290103

Let me ask you guys....I collected cards as a kid in the late 80's. I lost interest until there was that resurgence in the early 90's with Upper Deck, Score, etc. I also quickly lost interest when the market was just flooded by these new cards. If you were to start collecting cards today, what is the best type of card to collect?

Tad Mikowsky

Only Droods
Sponsor
Jun 30, 2008
Edmonton
Let me ask you guys....I collected cards as a kid in the late 80's. I lost interest until there was that resurgence in the early 90's with Upper Deck, Score, etc. I also quickly lost interest when the market was just flooded by these new cards. If you were to start collecting cards today, what is the best type of card to collect?

Honestly, last year I just stuck to Series 1 and 2 to collect Young Guns. I think Series 1 is a good place to start because there’s different types to collect from base set, rookie young guns (even if this year isn’t the strongest crop) and other inserts. Plus, I find the cost to be more wallet friendly and a bit more accessible if you like to go the retail route rather than hobby boxes.

member 290103

Honestly, last year I just stuck to Series 1 and 2 to collect Young Guns. I think Series 1 is a good place to start because there’s different types to collect from base set, rookie young guns (even if this year isn’t the strongest crop) and other inserts. Plus, I find the cost to be more wallet friendly and a bit more accessible if you like to go the retail route rather than hobby boxes.

Explain to me....what are hobby boxes?

Tad Mikowsky

Only Droods
Sponsor
Jun 30, 2008
Edmonton

Sure no problem!

Hobby boxes are usually more expensive but will contain hobby exclusive cards. Most sets can usually come in just hobby boxes.

So if I stuck with Series 1 for example, in a hobby box you’d have a chance to acetate cards and numbered Exclusive (/100) or High Gloss (/10), which If they fall on a Young Gun could fetch a pretty penny. You also get more young guns per box (6) vs a retail box (2).

danielpalfredsson

Aug 14, 2013

The best way to collect (IMO) is to choose a player, team, or subject, and just buy cards on the secondary market of that player. You'll get exactly what you pay for without gambling on packs/boxes. Packs/boxes are fun to open since it is essentially gambling, but the return on them is incredibly low. For example, I very rarely buy sealed product, I bought a UD Series 1 blaster at one point last season for 23 after tax (which is a great price in season), the combined inserts/rookies I pulled would have probably cost me 10 bucks including shipping to buy straight up on somewhere like COMC, and I considered that a pretty good return based on what you should expect from sealed boxes

If you specifically want to collect via buying boxes/packs and want to dip your toes in, consider buying UD Series 1/2 and collecting the 'Young Guns' cards. The Young Guns are basically the main rookie card in the hobby and range in value from a few cents to a few hundred dollars depending on the player. With most products, you want to get the hobby version, but UD Series 1/2 is one of the rare products where the retail can be just as good or in some cases a better value. If you specifically stick with retail for series 1/2, you want to buy whichever box/blaster/tin has the best ratio of Young Guns to dollars spent.

Specifically in respect to UD Series 1/2, the reason hobby boxes are more expensive is because with hobby boxes, you're paying a premium to have an opportunity to pull some extremely limited versions of the Young Guns cards like the exclusives (/100) and the High Gloss (/10) or the clear cuts (very limited, but not numbered). There are some other hobby exclusive short prints that aren't in retail, but the variations of the YGs are the big draw. IMO, unless the price of the hobby box is very close to the price of retail, with respect to Series 1/2, it's not usually worth paying 50-100 bucks extra for a 6 YG hobby box vs a 6 YG retail box. If you are looking at older stock such as products from 13-14/14-15/15-16/etc, the difference in price between series 1/2 hobby and retail will vary from year to year though.

Reactions: BuckyDornster

danielpalfredsson

Aug 14, 2013

Retail are products generally made to appeal to people who might buy cards at "retail" shops like Wal-Mart.

Hobby products are made to appeal to people who buy products at stores specifically meant to cater to card collectors.

The difference is that hobby boxes tend to be significantly more expensive up front. In most cases, hobby boxes provide a much better value than retail. Although there are exceptions, most retail products (Artifacts, MVP, OPC) have a very low ceiling on what you can expect in return on them. Of course it's not about money, or it shouldn't be, but at the same time if you're dropping 100s on packs of cards, you probably want an opportunity to get a reasonable amount of value back as well as pulling something exciting every once and a while.

UD is the exception to the rule because the main draw in UD Series 1/2 is the Young Gun Rookie cards which are available in retail offerings and have a decent amount of pull in the hobby.

As I alluded to in my other post, if you're going to mainly collect via sealed products, you should come to terms with the idea that if you spend $100 bucks, you might get 50 dollars back on a really good day. You'll hit it big every once and a while, but over time, the house always wins. This is why I am not a big fan of collecting that way. I'm not blind, I understand it's fun to gamble, but it seems like a really inefficient way to collect, especially if the result is just flipping a big chunk of what is pulled to buy more cards which is what some people do.

blankall

Jul 4, 2007

UD is getting lazy. I'd prefer a system with several different companies and limiting each company to 6 or so products. Overall hockey is one of the weaker of the major sports, and UD's monopoly is a part of that.

NT was an amazing product. Will admit I didn't really care for Panini that much.. There were even worse than UD for reusing similar designs.

Olden McGroin

Aug 1, 2009

danielpalfredsson

Aug 14, 2013
2017-18-NHL-Upper-Deck-Series-One-Young-Guns-Logan-Brown.jpg

http://upperdeckblog.com/2017/10/br...-deck-nhl-series-one-young-guns-rookie-cards/

17-18 Young Gun photos have been released. If the blue portion is foil, these could look pretty cool. November 7th is the release date.

HansonBro

May 3, 2006
Is anyone interested in this as a set? Approximately 53 cards all Patrick Roy. Also have Roy pogs and gold coins from McDonald's.

roy.jpg

bruinsfan1970

Global Moderator
Staff member
Aug 9, 2010
Lovely Lakes Of NH
I have now changed my collecting habits, I used to be a player collector but I lost interest. Now I have decided to collect my favorite teams players throughout the teams history but not a base card but an autograph card of every player to wear a Bruins jersey meaning the card must show the player in a Bruins jersey. There are 205 certified cards of these players. So now that I am only needing 12 more I have added the TTM auto's to this collecting phase. This will keep me collecting the players who never had a certified card. Of course that number 205 certified cards will continue to climb with the additional players (Rookies) added each season. My collection can be viewed on my webpage which has the link in my profile. It is quite a challenge but it keeps me busy and most importantly I love doing it.

Slap

Sep 28, 2017
http://www.hockeydb.com/ihdb/stats/pdisplay.php?pid=64551

He never played an NHL game, so it's very unlikely he has a card. Doubt they made AHL cards back then, even if they did, he only ever played 17 games one season.

Doubt any cards of his exist from any of the major publishers.
At least Classic made AHL cards back then. I have a pile of late 90's early 00's Classic cards of AHL, junior and women leagues.

Reactions: blankall

bruinsfan1970

Global Moderator
Staff member
Aug 9, 2010
Lovely Lakes Of NH
At least Classic made AHL cards back then. I have a pile of late 90's early 00's Classic cards of AHL, junior and women leagues.

I miss those sets and I liked the cards made by Seventh inning sketch. I remember Manon Rheaume`s cards. Her autograph is always consisitent but prolly the best looking autograph card is that of Gilles Gilbert.

Bures Elbow

Nov 2, 2013
Hey guys.

For those of you who have experience with poor quality cards upon opening packages, what did you do?

I recently opened two blaster boxes of UD 2017/2018 series 1 and in the first box around half the cards were misprinted on the back with fuzzy/blurry print, and the second box it was around 1/4.

I have the receipt proving I bought them, the cards that contained issues, as well as the boxes themselves.

I took photos of them as well.

Do I email upperdeck and inform them of this or do I have to mail them everything?

Thanks in advance guys!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad